Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? (24087 Views)

Disclaimer; 9 Students Raped In UNIZIK Are False! School Reacts / Is 'crocodile Tears' Just An Idiomatic Expression / That Student Of Bowen University Impregnated VC's Wife Is False - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Dozie32(m): 8:26am On Oct 10, 2021
Na because say crocodile smile no good, why na Dem come kill us finish for operation crocodile smile.

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by sonofElElyon: 8:28am On Oct 10, 2021
Shellsploit:
Lalasticlacla knows Better

Thought he's the snake man, not crocodile

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Bamzyriches451: 8:28am On Oct 10, 2021
Observing comments
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by 1stKingharry: 8:29am On Oct 10, 2021
A crocodile cries whenever it is predating on its prey. It will keep crying but won't stop eating it's animal. It is now being interpreted as such that despite its being pitiful towards the prey it will still consume it.
Therefore, any false tears is regarded as crocodile tears.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by silibaba: 8:29am On Oct 10, 2021
Just a FIGURE OF SPEECH
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by bluefilm: 8:29am On Oct 10, 2021
I think it's because crocidile shed tears of joy when they are enjoying a nice meal. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Charmingrascal(m): 8:29am On Oct 10, 2021
jnrbayano:

Shed tears rather. Its neither cry nor weep

Shedding tears isn't same as crying or weeping

Lol what's the different?

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Skillsnigeria: 8:32am On Oct 10, 2021
grin
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by iamdapsyj(m): 8:35am On Oct 10, 2021
Crocodiles are always in water and hence the reason for the phrase.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Psoul(m): 8:36am On Oct 10, 2021
andyblinks05:
As the topic says....why is it called so? Do crocodile shed tears at all

When crocodiles are eating their prey, water/tears do come out of their eyes.
So the tear is regarded as false cos crying while killing is false.

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Hotzone(m): 8:38am On Oct 10, 2021
The rich also cry

But Buhari is emotionless
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Passionate888: 8:39am On Oct 10, 2021
Charmingrascal:

Crocodile cries. Especially when it's out of the water for long, its eyes dry out and to remain lubricated it weeps.
Also crocodile cries when it attacks its prey (i.e they shed tears when they're feeding) however it is not clear whether they cry out of pity for their victim or out of excitement.
But it is believed that no one will be eating and be crying which rules out the crying out of pity.

Though the tears are fake but crocodile weeps.

Saskay cried while eating cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Elliotwaveforec: 8:39am On Oct 10, 2021
silibaba:
Just a FIGURE OF SPEECH
Every figure of speech has a reason; maybe old beliefs or history
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Chochovini: 8:40am On Oct 10, 2021
Charmingrascal:

Crocodile cries. Especially when it's out of the water for long, its eyes dry out and to remain lubricated it weeps.
Also crocodile cries when it attacks its prey (i.e they shed tears when they're feeding) however it is not clear whether they cry out of pity for their victim or out of excitement.
But it is believed that no one will be eating and be crying which rules out the crying out of pity.
Though the tears are fake but crocodile weeps.

. Mehn... Your English is simply superb. Though I‘m not good at english myself but I realizes good english when I see one. Big ups bro.

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Bbqekpa: 8:40am On Oct 10, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Who no finish school no dey hard to know undecided

If you go school,say your teacher teach you idiomatic expressions,you go suppose know the meaning of this idiom......

Must crocodile shed tears first before false tears will be accrued to it.....we all know a crocodile to be an aphibian..
So when it comes out of water,the process of splashing water out of his body, that's the meaning of shedding false tears undecided

Olodo

2 Likes

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Sammyklever(m): 8:42am On Oct 10, 2021
Crocodiles don't cry... Any water you see on their eye is coming from the environment there are coming out from

I can help you solve your one minute problem as a man...i can help save you from being embarrassed in the other room....check out my profile
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by davillian(m): 8:42am On Oct 10, 2021
Enskynelson:
Because crocodile never cries cheesy
Even if they cry you can't see it
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Top6074: 8:44am On Oct 10, 2021
I think it is due to its habit of staying motionless for a very long time with mouth wide open,which could be misconstrued as it's being dead. This could make it's prey get too close for easy capture. That is, it pretends to be dead as a ploy to make it's prey move close enough for capture.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by alomeda600(m): 8:45am On Oct 10, 2021
TheWolfen:
Because it is fake tears. Have you seen a croc sad or show love? Crocodiles practically shows no emotions like other animals. Hence the crocodile tears.
Fake tears
the best!
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by mu2sa2: 8:48am On Oct 10, 2021
EmperorTolson:
Which one are we going to believe now?
You ask Waec-type question - the answer is supposed to be in the options given but you get confused going through the options and you go back to the question again and keep going back and forth like that until you hear "you have (five) minutes left."
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by mayskit4luv(m): 8:48am On Oct 10, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Who no finish school no dey hard to know undecided

If you go school,say your teacher teach you idiomatic expressions,you go suppose know the meaning of this idiom......

Must crocodile shed tears first before false tears will be accrued to it.....we all know a crocodile to be an aphibian..
So when it comes out of water,the process of splashing water out of his body, that's the meaning of shedding false tears undecided

Crocodile is of Class: Reptilia

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Kdon2: 8:50am On Oct 10, 2021
andyblinks05:
As the topic says....why is it called so? Do crocodile shed tears at all

Google is your friend.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by doggedfighter(f): 8:50am On Oct 10, 2021
Top6074:
I think it is due to its habit of staying motionless for a very long time with mouth wide open,which could be misconstrued as it's being dead. This could make it's prey get too close for easy capture. That is, it pretends to be dead as a ploy to make it's prey move close enough for capture.

Really?

Is this how you comprehend and answer questions?

Read and re-read what you typed?
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by chatinent: 8:53am On Oct 10, 2021
ClassicMan202:

Exactly... Because crocodiles don't cry, if you see any tears on their face, just know its fake

You don't even see tears. You see water dripping down.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by chatinent: 8:53am On Oct 10, 2021
doggedfighter:

Really?

Is this how you comprehend and answer questions?

Read and re-read what you typed?

Lol. E shock me too
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by doggedfighter(f): 8:56am On Oct 10, 2021
chatinent:

Lol. E shock me too

That one will be calling lecturer sadist too grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by fashrola(m): 8:57am On Oct 10, 2021
Crocodiles do actually cry. When they spend enough time out of the water, their eyes dry out so they weep to keep them lubricated. The belief started that the crocodiles only shed these tears when attacking and eating their victims, either as a trap to lure in their prey or out of emotion for their violent act.

Source: https://www.historyextra.com/period/ancient-egypt/why-do-we-say-crocodile-tears/
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by jojothaiv(m): 8:57am On Oct 10, 2021
Enskynelson:
And if they do, fish would have cried too.

Well, you're right.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by IkemChris(m): 9:01am On Oct 10, 2021
Enskynelson:

The phrase derives from an ancient belief that crocodiles shed tears while consuming their prey, and as such is present in many modern languages, especially in Europe where it was introduced through Latin.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by NairaMaster1(m): 9:01am On Oct 10, 2021
ClassicMan202:

Exactly... Because crocodiles don't cry, if you see any tears on their face, just know its fake

Just know its ordinary water saltless.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by NairaMaster1(m): 9:01am On Oct 10, 2021
ClassicMan202:

Just know its ordinary water saltless.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can I Get Admission For Masters Abroad With A 2nd Class Lower 1st Degree Result / Things A Fresher Should Know Before Resuming In A Tertiary Institution / Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.