Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,580 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? (24105 Views)

Disclaimer; 9 Students Raped In UNIZIK Are False! School Reacts / Is 'crocodile Tears' Just An Idiomatic Expression / That Student Of Bowen University Impregnated VC's Wife Is False - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by blaze83(m): 9:06am On Oct 10, 2021
Here's your answer.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by witworth(m): 9:08am On Oct 10, 2021
How about alligator smile.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by naturefellow(m): 9:10am On Oct 10, 2021
Aufbauh:
To shed crocodile tears, is to show insincere remorse. This expression comes from the fact that crocodiles actually cry when they consume their victims. - Google

You can actually check up some of this question from Google as they know rightly the background the statement was premise upon.
the phrase "Google is your friend" is easier said than done smiley
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by naturefellow(m): 9:11am On Oct 10, 2021
Enskynelson:
Because crocodile never cries cheesy
hard guy
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by blaze83(m): 9:13am On Oct 10, 2021
Here's your answer
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by 24SEVEN: 9:16am On Oct 10, 2021
Charmingrascal:

Crocodile cries. Especially when it's out of the water for long, its eyes dry out and to remain lubricated it weeps.
Also crocodile cries when it attacks its prey (i.e they shed tears when they're feeding) however it is not clear whether they cry out of pity for their victim or out of excitement.
But it is believed that no one will be eating and be crying which rules out the crying out of pity.
Though the tears are fake but crocodile weeps.

Shedding tears is not same as weeping or crying.

English language isn't easy tho!!!
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by amas124(m): 9:17am On Oct 10, 2021
To shed crocodile tears, is to show insincere remorse. This expression comes from the fact that crocodiles actually cry when they consume their victims.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Charmingrascal(m): 9:18am On Oct 10, 2021
24SEVEN:

Shedding tears is not same as weeping or crying.

English language isn't easy tho!!!

Lol
Look at another one here.
What is the different?
Tell me with points and references

Some of you need to go back to school and learn basic English language before trying to correct people who know more than you.

Let me school you a bit
You can meet others who know more than you to school you more on proper English language usage

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by femi4: 9:30am On Oct 10, 2021
andyblinks05:
As the topic says....why is it called so? Do crocodile shed tears at all
The phrase derives from an ancient belief that crocodiles shed tears while consuming their prey, and as such is present in many modern languages.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by aeronot(m): 9:46am On Oct 10, 2021
Heard crocodiles only cry while feasting on it's prey.. thus the term crocodile tears.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by mkoabiola: 9:50am On Oct 10, 2021
Too many answers

Don't know what to believe
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by DavidKajo94(m): 10:01am On Oct 10, 2021
No be everything be damnn niggar
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by ekanx27(m): 10:14am On Oct 10, 2021
mkoabiola:
Too many answers

Don't know what to believe

Believe in yourself, There is no limit to what you can achieve. You know the answer, just stick to what you know.

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by baralatie(m): 10:53am On Oct 10, 2021
Oyiboman69:
I only know about mosquito laughter...
I.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:57am On Oct 10, 2021
Ekun eke (Fake tears)
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by generalwo(m): 10:58am On Oct 10, 2021
Crocodile cry either to lure its victims or a show of emotions during a violent act such as ripping its victims to shreds

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Foreign231(m): 10:58am On Oct 10, 2021
boss1310:
Any water coming out of crocodile's eyes is from its habitat hence the saying
Why not say “Fish cry”
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by baralatie(m): 11:02am On Oct 10, 2021
According to Google

Crocodile actually shed tears when

1.it is on land far from the water
2.when it is feeding (it makes a hissing sound)

The are not real tears because it is shed to maintain its own survival and not connected to emotions

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by baralatie(m): 11:04am On Oct 10, 2021
The real question is between the cockroach and mice ,which destroys paper more?
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by unite4real: 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2021
Enskynelson:
Because crocodile never cries cheesy

Why crocodiles. Why not lizard or Fly tears. Afterall those don't cry too
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Udodiri01: 12:07pm On Oct 10, 2021
The shed tears when the eat. And when dey are extremely hungry the eat (cannibalize) there kids or the weakest among themselves. So while munching on their kids, the cry.

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by fof1: 12:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kajaard:
The phrase derives from an ancient belief that crocodiles shed tears while consuming their prey

Is it an Ancient Belief or a Reality that,Crocs do Cry when eating their Meal?
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Kajaard: 12:36pm On Oct 10, 2021
fof1:

Is it an Ancient Belief or a Reality that,Crocs do Cry when eating their Meal?

Both. Crocodiles do indeed shed tears. Apparently they hiss a lot while eating and so something to do with sinuses might be activating the tear glands
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Abemy(m): 1:37pm On Oct 10, 2021
Charmingrascal:

Crocodile cries. Especially when it's out of the water for long, its eyes dry out and to remain lubricated it weeps.
Also crocodile cries when it attacks its prey (i.e they shed tears when they're feeding) however it is not clear whether they cry out of pity for their victim or out of excitement.
But it is believed that no one will be eating and be crying which rules out the crying out of pity.
Though the tears are fake but crocodile weeps.

My younger step sister from birth till about age 10, do shed heavy tears while eating, and the tears stops immediately she stops eating.
So, I electnto invalidate your claims that no one can shed tears while eating.

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Origin(f): 1:50pm On Oct 10, 2021
Crocodile tears cos you are killing me and you are crying....

Are you ment?

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by greggng: 2:22pm On Oct 10, 2021
andyblinks05:
As the topic says....why is it called so? Do crocodile shed tears at all

Is because crocs shade tears even when you are in their mouth as food...is li,e a man killing you and also crying for you ...so is all fake

1 Like

Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Originalsly: 2:37pm On Oct 10, 2021
Tears are signs of pain or sadness. The tears of a crocodile are not of pain or sadness. So if someone is shedding tears that have nothing to do with pain or sadness ....then their tears are like those of the crocodile.....crocodile tears.
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Vinnie2000(m): 2:45pm On Oct 10, 2021

I am Really surprised No one has said this..

In a Documentary I Watched, the Narrator said Human meat is THE MOST DELICIOUS to Crocodiles!! shocked

So when in Water and it sees a Human standing at the Shore, It Cries sorrowfully!! angry
Lamenting the Good Meal he is Missing by not being able to come out of the Water to prey on and chew the Flesh! embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Vinnie2000(m): 2:50pm On Oct 10, 2021
Udodiri01:
The shed tears when the eat. And when dey are extremely hungry the eat (cannibalize) there kids or the weakest among themselves. So while munching on their kids, the cry.

Kudos to you, Boss!
This has to be the Most Plausible Reason!
because Crocodiles eat dier own Eggs, due to Starvation!!

Dats y in The gods are not to Blamed, Odewale said 'If the Crocodile can eat it's Eggs, what will he now do to the Body of the Fish?
Re: Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? by Mabella2550(f): 10:35am On Oct 11, 2021
EmperorTolson:
Which one are we going to believe now?
I swear

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB UTME 2016 Sales Of Form Begins August 31st - Find Important Guidelines / Studying Microbiology Or Medlab Which Is Better? / Can I Get Admission For Masters Abroad With A 2nd Class Lower 1st Degree Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.