Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme (13601 Views)

NYSC Signs MoU To Include Corps Members On NHIS Programme / Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading / NYSC To Deploy 80% Of Corps Member To Rural Areas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by highness25(m): 8:32am On Oct 12, 2021
Blue3k:

Source: https://noi-polls.com/cultural-integration-exposure-and-self-development-main-reason-80-percent-of-adult-nigerians-do-not-support-scrapping-of-the-national-youth-service-corps-nysc/
make una no scrap am oo. Na my alawee wey I save during my time last year I de take do business wey de sustain me currently. No work anywhere. Except the guy wey go serve no get sense
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Trojan8(m): 8:38am On Oct 12, 2021
AkaraAndBread:

I read that part in bold over and over again. ***smh***...

Wake up and smell the coffee dude (@ least before it is too late)

Please explain to me how wearing a green khaki jacket, a green khaki pair of trousers and a white T shirt can be counted as one of Life's major achievements?

You can't for others though. They are actually people that see it as an achievement because you don't does not make you any better.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Cognitivereason: 9:03am On Oct 12, 2021
Insecurity isn't enough reason because copers are not the prime target of kidnappers
Everyone is being kidnapped everyday irrespective of class, religion ,state of origin...and the list is endless...even if a coper is kidnapped tomorrow ..I will still not say it should be scrapped because they are equally part of the larger society risked of being kidnapped.... So what then is the point...scraping it won't make fresh graduates more safer...are they not going to move around their states also prone to kidnappers and wont they still eventually travel for greener pasture or u think all the state are the same in job opportunities

The only time I would say it should be suspended is when copers become a prime target ..I don't see DAT happening Cuz there is nothing exclusive about them....
Are soilders, police men and civil servants not being kidnapped on a daily basis cuz of insercurity....y not say we should scrap them all....school kids are being kidnapped more than ever in this country....y didnt u say schools should be scraped ...as of today..everyone is a target...so deal with the problem not put up unnecessary things to avoid it cuz they will still take another form to attack u or anyone else..

Some people even said bad roads is a reason y it should be scrapped... As if nysc is the only reason graduates will eventually leave their state. Or maybe they have seen graduates who who spent his or her entire life in one state
kayuseful:

Really?
So we have to wait till all Corp members are kidnapped?
Insecurity isn't enough reason? Then what else can be?
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Geeman2006: 9:06am On Oct 12, 2021
Even though there is risk of Insecurity , I still believe NYSC shouldn't be scrapped.
The perceptions and lack of knowledge about other regions in this country is grossly under estimated. Alot of people of people grow up to believe what the media and their surroundings have fed them over the years about people from other places.
During my NYSC days, I experienced serious stereotypes from graduates about where I come from and was Highly embarrassed that graduates don't even know basic things about places and other people's culture. What my ears heard those days, embarrassing is even an understatement.
Even here in Nairaland, you still see and hear such stereotypes.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Gireiboy(m): 9:24am On Oct 12, 2021
vanbonattel:

Stop sweating, if there were any gains of NYSC since the past 40 years, buharri erased them all in 6 short years.

Students shouldn't be sent to war zones where they will be kidnapped in the north.
Shut the hell up!nowhere is safe in the country, bloody hypocrites. I'm guessing you are from the erosion ravaged SE filled with terrorist ESN.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Benrosaria(m): 9:41am On Oct 12, 2021
Blue3k:

Source: https://noi-polls.com/cultural-integration-exposure-and-self-development-main-reason-80-percent-of-adult-nigerians-do-not-support-scrapping-of-the-national-youth-service-corps-nysc/

First if we know that EDUCATION is an art of learning that improves life at the expense of another man ( the ignorant). Then why debate over the existence of NYSC. Those in support of NYSC needs to know that going to school you need a good turn out of ignorants to achieve that education you acquired. Black man - education should be to improve another man’s life at your own expense.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Gordieshegz(m): 9:43am On Oct 12, 2021
BlowYourMind:
Where is the poll conducted, I guess it was done by the same idiots benefiting from the NYSC scam scheme, what rubbish, which adults that doesn't know their right from their left is voting rubbish.

Eventhough data don't lie, fraudulent researchers do falsify data to suit their narratives.
That said, there are many loopholes in this study.

First, nothing was said about the inclusion criteria, the target population and the total number of respondents.
How representative of almost 200million nigerians were they?
Was the study and its process popular among Nigerians?
How were the repsondents recruited?
What percentages of the total participants were from respective geopolitical zones?
How much were major items or repsondents prioritised?
For instance,the responses of former corp members should have carried more weights than any other group of respondents.

Second, the data signalled at a very interesting fact, perhaps the researchers did not pick this or just ignored it for reasons known to this. Shown in the data is a huge disparity in between former Corp members and people yet to serve. That difference tells much about the idea this study hopes to pus and the reality that abound.

Third, northern geopolitical zones that nod to the continuation of the scheme know that that is the surest and easiest way to have a constant supply of educated southerners on paltry salaries, without having to pay hugely for regular employments. To them, 'national integration' is secondary. If corp members were to serve in their respective states today, many people routing for NYSC right now would call for its scrapping.

We need more objective studies that will see through former corp members' views, especially those that served within the last 10 years.
Would they wish to serve once again if nysc was voluntary?
What if no stipends were involved?
How did the program shape their concepts of Nigeria and their views of other Nigerians?
How was their personal lives impacted after the one year compulsory program?

That will trigger a more reasonable conclusion that this study has made.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by alphaNomega: 9:46am On Oct 12, 2021
dosage150:
Currently a corp member
Let everyone serve in his or her state,
Nigeria is messed up,
We live in fear in an environment we don't even understand their language.

Meanwhile Enugu state is paying #850
Am yet to understand
850 what?

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by alphaNomega: 9:51am On Oct 12, 2021
Elsueno:
I & all my friends did not vote or know about this survey.

NYSC is a scam!! Youths should just be paid the half of d money from camp feeding & uniform sewing. Then thier full NYSC allowee for d 12 month. Am sure it will be almost a million naira. it's enough to start a business.

There is no unity bullshyt, all it does is turns like 70% of d girls involved into oloshos starting from d camp days

Remember, if kidnappers nab coper NYSC said they should contact their parents & relatives. Not NYSC
of course, NYSC boldly printed it in their handbook

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by sapientia(m): 10:07am On Oct 12, 2021
Which 80%
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by kayuseful: 11:07am On Oct 12, 2021
Cognitivereason:
Insecurity isn't enough reason because copers are not the prime target of kidnappers
Everyone is being kidnapped everyday irrespective of class, religion ,state of origin...and the list is endless...even if a coper is kidnapped tomorrow ..I will still not say it should be scrapped because they are equally part of the larger society risked of being kidnapped.... So what then is the point...scraping it won't make fresh graduates more safer...are they not going to move around their states also prone to kidnappers and wont they still eventually travel for greener pasture or u think all the state are the same in job opportunities

The only time I would say it should be suspended is when copers become a prime target ..I don't see DAT happening Cuz there is nothing exclusive about them....
Are soilders, police men and civil servants not being kidnapped on a daily basis cuz of insercurity....y not say we should scrap them all....school kids are being kidnapped more than ever in this country....y didnt u say schools should be scraped ...as of today..everyone is a target...so deal with the problem not put up unnecessary things to avoid it cuz they will still take another form to attack u or anyone else..

Some people even said bad roads is a reason y it should be scrapped... As if nysc is the only reason graduates will eventually leave their state. Or maybe they have seen graduates who who spent his or her entire life in one state
Well you could say this because of the weak laws in the country plus citizens poor knowledge of their rights.
The moment a youth is enrolled into the Corp, he automatically becomes a property and responsibility of the FG. Failure of the FG to hand over the Corp member back to his parents safely after the scheme is trouble for them. They know this, that's why they don't allow Corp members travel out of the state till the end of the program.

But here, nysc could even boldly declare they will not pay ransom if a Corp member is kidnapped and nobody is asking questions. If these guys have been made to battle with legal suits right and centre, they would have sit up

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Temysteve(m): 12:51pm On Oct 12, 2021
vanbonattel:

The only people that will support the endangering of our youths are only those who are not educated enough to understand how deadly the northern part b of Nigeria is.

Inter cultural relationships my left bumbum
left bumbum is better than right bumbum you know.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Temysteve(m): 12:55pm On Oct 12, 2021
Blue3k:

Who's sweating, I just told you the facts? I'm not sending anyone and nobody is forced to participate in the scheme. I dont even care for it my self even if it's safe. Its waste of time and money. People should just raise there kids better and travel and experience Nigeria on your own dime.
don't just open your mouth and talk like a senseless fowl, how many Nigerians have the opportunity to travel out of the country? The scheme is a better way of training the Nigerian youth, just that some people underground has bastardized the whole thing. How can you travel out of your country without having any experience, majority of those travelling without purpose end being a bandit, cyber crime and criminals.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by AkaraAndBread: 1:20pm On Oct 12, 2021
Trojan8:

You can't for others though. They are actually people that see it as an achievement because you don't does not make you any better.

I never said I was better. But if the majority can call a spade a spade then Nigeria would be a better place. I did my youth service over 15 years ago.

In hindsight it offered little to me... just a waste of my time. Now, even going for youth service is even DANGEROUS!

Yet people don't see anything wrong in it. Some pertinent facts to note;

1. It adds little - if anything at all - to your work experience (you will be working in whatever shit hole you find yourself in for barely a year). A prospective applicant who worked in an establishment for a year shouldn't be fronting that fact at the top of his resume.

2. Although it is mandatory the one year does not invalidate your degree

3. The corper is usually cheated in terms of wages and other entitlements (*** read that as "the corper is usually used like a rag with little reward)

4. Of what use are the physical drills that corpers are subjected to (while in camp) beneficial to them in the labour market?? Remember the female corper who was bathed in muddy water by a female military personnel?

5. Most times after the service year, most corpers are left unemployed.

This is not 1973. Times have changed, but people have refused to change with the times.

How many of our leaders went for service?? . Yet they subject you through the ordeal.

Our youths are not soldiers or paramilitary personnel that you will be maltreating and issuing blanket orders to.

MAKE NYSC OPTIONAL AND SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL WILLINGLY GO AND WASTE ONE YEAR OF THEIR LIFE FOR SUCH RUBBISH.

I weep when I see graduates being humiliated by people with only first school leaving certificate (highest ordinary WAEC) all in the name of NYSC.

Nigeria will never get better. That is how we lose great minds because of retrogressive policies from 40 years ago.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Blue3k(m): 1:26pm On Oct 12, 2021
KillingIsFun:
A survey conducted amongst 1000 people is enough to determine what 150 million people are thinking?

I still remember the family members who died in 2011 after the dullard's supporters started slaughtering youth corpers because he didn't win the election that year.

I don't know which is greater: Your lack of principles or your lack of intelligence.

Lol I don't understand why you clowns don't understand how survey and stats are taken. Most survey don't use over 10k persons to gauge the opinions of any country. Its like saying you need to remove all your blood to figure out if its whats in it. Statisticians simply make sure the sample is varied enough to avoid biased over sampling.

Theunbothered:

This is a lie, Nigeria has 200 million people and they used a sample size of just 1000?

How do we even know the 1000 aren't NYSC employees or their family members?

This is why I don't trust most statistics coming out of the government.

They told you the survey methodology and a NOIPOLLS is a private organization. If it were all the same type of person the survey would be very biased. Most survey don't use over 10k persons to gauge the opinions of any country. Its like saying you need to remove all your blood to figure out if its whats in it. Statisticians simply make sure the sample is varied enough to avoid biased over sampling.

Temysteve:
don't just open your mouth and talk like a senseless fowl, how many Nigerians have the opportunity to travel out of the country? The scheme is a better way of training the Nigerian youth, just that some people underground has bastardized the whole thing. How can you travel out of your country without having any experience, majority of those travelling without purpose end being a bandit, cyber crime and criminals.

Why are you rambling like mumu thats never heard of trains, busses and cars. If you want to travel the country its simple enough even if you're too poor for a plane ticket. NYSC was created to travel out the country so that point is irrelevant.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Blue3k(m): 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2021
AkaraAndBread:

MAKE NYSC OPTIONAL AND SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL WILLINGLY GO AND WASTE ONE YEAR OF THEIR LIFE FOR SUCH RUBBISH.

I weep when I see graduates being humiliated by people with only first school leaving certificate (highest ordinary WAEC) all in the name of NYSC.

Nigeria will never get better. That is how we lose great minds because of retrogressive policies from 40 years ago.

It is optional as far as I can tell. I can't find the law mandating it. Lastly a high court ruling already said it not required for public employment office so why for private employment?

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by AkaraAndBread: 2:13pm On Oct 12, 2021
Blue3k:

It is optional as far as I can tell. I can't find the law mandating it. Lastly a high court ruling already said it not required for public employment office so why for private employment?

We have a problem with interpreting the law in this country... I guess that is why we are a lawless country.

I am aware of the court verdict in Kemi Adeosun's case.

Yet many establishments (till today) reject applicants based on youth service issues.

I am waiting for the day somebody sues them for discrimination... if such a day will ever come.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Blue3k(m): 2:25pm On Oct 12, 2021
AkaraAndBread:

We have a problem with interpreting the law in this country... I guess that is why we are a lawless country.

I am aware of the court verdict in Kemi Adeosun's case.

Yet many establishments (till today) reject applicants based on youth service issues.

I am waiting for the day somebody sues them for discrimination... if such a day will ever come.

Elaborate on the problem with interpreting laws. I think the issue is most people don't bother challenging these rules to begin with. Is the ruling about NYSC not being mandatory wrong? Seriously I haven't seen anyone cite specifically where it says you have to.

I dont know if discrimination suit will be a winning case since private corporations are allowed to discriminate between candidates with a few exceptions. The court should just answer is NYSC mandatory yes or no.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by MegaStarr(m): 3:16pm On Oct 12, 2021
chigoziri2403:
This survey was conducted by NYSC STAFF ON NYSC STAFF, Very skewed
The results doesn't mirror the mind of the populace

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by ShedrachU(m): 4:23pm On Oct 12, 2021
vanbonattel:
Why should illiterates that probably didn't go to school be voting for NYSC issue?

This country is useless.

You are just bitter
Your opinion cannot change anything. You're a percentage of the illiterates the country have.

You read a post that was statistically backed up and you are making blatant noise.

Rest!!
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by ShedrachU(m): 4:24pm On Oct 12, 2021
Blue3k:

'Nigeria will never get better' and you are still complaining of how bad it is? Hypocrisy
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Lekan239(m): 4:26pm On Oct 12, 2021
kayuseful:

And suspend NYSC till its now safe
That's the sane thing to do.
Or at least make it optional
optional would be most preferably

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Blue3k(m): 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2021
ShedrachU:

'Nigeria will never get better' and you are still complaining of how bad it is? Hypocrisy

You don't know what hypocrisy means. If you did you would have used the word correctly. When did I say Nigeria will never improve BTW?

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by ShedrachU(m): 4:43pm On Oct 12, 2021
Blue3k:

You don't know what hypocrisy means. If you did you would have used the word correctly. When did I say Nigeria will never improve BTW?

Read your previous comment
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Blue3k(m): 4:50pm On Oct 12, 2021
ShedrachU:

Read your previous comment

I didn't say that blind liar. Lol you're wedded to your foolish comments. How hard is it to just admit you quoted the wrong person?

AkaraAndBread:

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by ShedrachU(m): 4:53pm On Oct 12, 2021
Archangels2:
When was this survey conducted?? Hogwash. Nysc should be scrapped. People can't live on 30k per month anymore. Coupled with the increased kidnapping of corp members plus the inter state road deaths too I see no reason why it should still stand.

If I have my way my relations would never travel to that terror prone north. Please scrap it

So inter state road death that has occurred and still occurring /is was also caused by NYSC?

OGA, who death wan kill go die.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by ShedrachU(m): 4:54pm On Oct 12, 2021
Blue3k:

I didn't say that blind liar. Lol you're wedded to your foolish comments. How hard is it to just admit you quoted the wrong person?

Apologies, never so that.
Quoted the wrong person
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by tonyson010(m): 4:57pm On Oct 12, 2021
Inconclusive and poor research highly suspicious of propagandism.
How many people were sampled, where was this research undertaken ?
Those who have served or still serving should be in a far better position to give opinion about the scheme.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Blue3k(m): 4:58pm On Oct 12, 2021
tonyson010:
Inconclusive and poor research highly suspicious of propagandism.
How many people were sampled, where was this research undertaken ?
Those who have served or still serving should be in a far better position to give opinion about the scheme.

Are you too lazy to read the research methodology before commenting? NOIPolls answered all your questions and asked people who served and didn't serve.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nysc Registration Issue, Batch B / NYSC Warns Against Unauthorised Use Of Corps Uniforms, Logo, Others / Irregular Mobilization: Nysc Vows Resistance To Unqualified Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.