Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC (13666 Views)

Can She Qualify For NYSC Exemption Certificate Or Must She Do NYSC? / Best Companies To Do Nysc With: / Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 8:25pm On Mar 08, 2011
smiley Fellow Nairalanders:

How do you go about applying for NYSC if you are a Nigerian who was born, raised, and completed all schooling and university in the U.S, as well as if you are already holding a Nigerian Passport? No formal application for citizenship was ever made though. I've gone through several posts and most of the people who had questions were either born and did some school in Nigeria before going abroad, or were not Nigerians at all.

So, does this make you eligible for NYSC? BOTH parents were born and raised in Nigeria. Do you have to formerly apply for naturalization? Or do you just have to apply for citizenship first? Please be specific! The website for NYSC also makes mention of foreign trained graduates not being able to apply after February of 2011, what is that about?
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 8:32pm On Mar 08, 2011
From what I know, anyone can go to Nigeria to do NYSC ---- but you MUST get your Nigerian passport, this might take a while. Since you weren't born there, I think that you might need a VISA.  --- Also, if you know someone who owns a company, they can request you to work for them as their NYSC pikin, it may make life easier. NYSC is fun but you need to be sharp sharp ---- Americana mugus don't survive.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 8:36pm On Mar 08, 2011
I have my nigerian passport already. Lol I've stayed in Nigeria before, I got this. wink

1 Like

Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 8:38pm On Mar 08, 2011
Yes ooo, go there and have fun. Don't have sex with any one --- haha! Lots of Hot young men. tongue
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by oncolor: 8:39pm On Mar 08, 2011
As long as one of your parents is Nigerian and you already have the Nigerian Passport then automatically you're a Nigerian citizen, you don't need any formal application or paperwork filled out.

To participate in the NYSC, all you need is to pick the batch you want to serve (Batch 'A' or Batch 'B'), get all the required documents as listed on the website   http://www.nysc.gov.ng/forignnysc2011.php  and appear at the NYSC office in Abuja and you are good to go.

chocobunny:

The website for NYSC also makes mention of foreign trained graduates not being able to apply after February of 2011, what is that about?

"All foreign trained prospective Corps Members who intend to participate in the 2011 Batch A Orientation course must complete registration on or before 25th February 2011.

NO REGISTRATION SHALL TAKE PLACE AFTER 25TH FEBRUARY 2011."

This is for those who intend to enroll for Batch A, since you already missed the deadline for Batch A, wait for Batch B which should be sometime later in the year
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by DisGuy: 8:45pm On Mar 08, 2011
oncolor:

As long as one of your parents is Nigerian and you already have the Nigerian Passport then automatically you're a Nigerian citizen, you don't need any formal application or paperwork filled out.

To participate in the NYSC, all you need is to pick the batch you want to serve (Batch 'A' or Batch 'B'), get all the required documents as listed on the website   http://www.nysc.gov.ng/forignnysc2011.php  and appear at the NYSC office in Abuja and you are good to go.

"All foreign trained prospective Corps Members who intend to participate in the 2011 Batch A Orientation course must complete registration on or before 25th February 2011.

NO REGISTRATION SHALL TAKE PLACE AFTER 25TH FEBRUARY 2011."

This is for those who intend to enroll for Batch A, since you already missed the deadline for Batch A, wait for Batch B which should be sometime later in the year

you don't have to appear in Abuja any more, you appear in 'your' state and everything is concluded there
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 9:07pm On Mar 08, 2011
Is there any particular Batch that is better?? Can I still choose where I want to serve?
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 9:16pm On Mar 08, 2011
chocobunny:

Is there any particular Batch that is better?? Can I still choose where I want to serve?

No particular batch is better. You CANNOT choose where you want to serve, a company has to request for you. You are randomly placed I believe, unless you have mullah.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 9:18pm On Mar 08, 2011
obowunmi:

No particular batch is better. You CANNOT choose where you want to serve, a company has to request for you. You are randomly placed I believe, unless you have mullah.

Wunmi thank you!!!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 9:19pm On Mar 08, 2011
^^^ hopefully, they won't post you in Jigawa state.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 9:21pm On Mar 08, 2011
obowunmi:

^^^ hopefully, they won't post you in Jigawa state.
undecided im hopinh for abuja or lagos (crosses fingers)
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 9:31pm On Mar 08, 2011
chocobunny:

You are amongst the 5 million youths who want to be posted in Abuja or Lagos --- thats why I said, if you know someone who owns a company, you can have them request for you --- it will make your life easier.

Otherwise, be prepared for loads of fun ---- anywhere is fun sha! If its not too remote/and there's no bombing of any sort.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by fstranger3(m): 12:14am On Mar 09, 2011
chocobunny:

As long as you are ready to bribe with 250 dolls, you can get Lagos. My cousin never even showed up at his site. He got everything settled with egunje. Go to their office, it cant be that hard to find a crook willing to help as long as you give him/her the equivalent of a month's salary.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by debest1(m): 1:15pm On Mar 09, 2011
I'm told you get to choose the state, a friend of mine recently went for hers and was told to pick whichever state she wanted. Apparently this was the case for all the applicants from abroad.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by DisGuy: 1:21pm On Mar 09, 2011
debest1:

I'm told you get to choose the state, a friend of mine recently went for hers and was told to pick whichever state she wanted. Apparently this was the case for all the applicants from abroad.

True but some times there's an over spill , the candidates that choose Abuja and Lagos get sent to neighbouring states because of the huge numbers, last year those that choose Lagos got sent to oyo

this year it will be Ekiti, Osun and ogun

for Abuja overspill; Nassarawa, Niger and i think Bauchi
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by jmaine: 1:27pm On Mar 09, 2011
fstranger3:

As long as you are ready to bribe with 250 dolls, you can get Lagos. My cousin never even showed up at his site. He got everything settled with egunje. Go to their office, it cant be that hard to find a crook willing to help as long as you give him/her the equivalent of a month's salary.

That your cousin dey comment for nairaland she! undecided after dem go say politician na them too corrupt meanwhile an average naija guy like you and i dey look for the nearest short cut to comfort. Anyway, so far you have the cabadice, you can serve in your house.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by jason2010(m): 1:34pm On Mar 09, 2011
I am currently doing my NYSC in Lagos. I was born in Tuskegee Al to both 9ja parents, I have a Nigerian passport. "YES AS A FOREIGN GRAD, YOU CHOOSE YOUR STATE TO SERVE IN" (UNFORTUNATELY). I am currently doing Batch B, I went to Abuja with my credential, so I believe that you must go to Abuja to present your credentials. The whole stuff is so easy, do not go out there spending your dough on something you can easily take care of yourself. Depending on your age, you might have lots of fun in camp. I am a little bit older, so I did not stay in camp ,I tipped my way outta camp grin  . Good luck
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by pss: 1:49pm On Mar 09, 2011
Your passion to participate in NYSC is very impressive. I'm delighted to understand that you appreciate your culture and want to connet to your root. Brilliant!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 1:55pm On Mar 09, 2011
I don't know if they have changed it now but for foreign graduate you are usually asked what state you want to serve in.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by martinosi: 2:36pm On Mar 09, 2011
chocobunny:

How do you go about applying for NYSC if you are a Nigerian who was born, raised, and completed all schooling and university in the U.S, as well as if you are already holding a Nigerian Passport? No formal application for citizenship was ever made though. I've gone through several posts and most of the people who had questions were either born and did some school in Nigeria before going abroad, or were not Nigerians at all.

So, does this make you eligible for NYSC? BOTH parents were born and raised in Nigeria. Do you have to formerly apply for naturalization? Or do you just have to apply for citizenship first? Please be specific! The website for NYSC also makes mention of foreign trained graduates not being able to apply after February of 2011, what is that about?

Just kind of curious why you want to do NYSC,

I believe your talents and Intellectual Acumen can be
channeled better in Nigeria througha different route
instead of NYSC,

What i am trying to state is that when going to help/assist
of serve nigeria, you better be in a financial position to do it!!!

Have you ever lived in Nigeria before?

I strongly suggest that you find/locate a fellow Nigerian
Born and raised in America like yourself and enquire wisely
about this decision that you desire to take. I am not trying
to discourage you, just think it through. The decision you are
about to make is no stroll through der park,

And what does your parents think of this move.?
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by poweredcom(m): 2:51pm On Mar 09, 2011
ol boy owu go hammer u here
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by vislabraye(m): 3:15pm On Mar 09, 2011
go to NYSC office
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by babaowo: 3:43pm On Mar 09, 2011
hope you are not an agent of fbi, cia or are you are a spy trainee
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 3:49pm On Mar 09, 2011
martinosi:

Just kind of curious why you want to do NYSC,

I believe your talents and Intellectual Acumen can be
channeled better in Nigeria througha different route
instead of NYSC,

What i am trying to state is that when going to help/assist
of serve nigeria, you better be in a financial position to do it!!!

Have you ever lived in Nigeria before?

I strongly suggest that you find/locate a fellow Nigerian
Born and raised in America like yourself and enquire wisely
about this decision that you desire to take. I am not trying
to discourage you, just think it through. The decision you are
about to make is no stroll through der park,

And what does your parents think of this move.?

Come on what is so hard in NYSC. Prolly the kid wants to serve in public office in Nigeria later in his career. When I challenged doing NYSC I was stabbed with this statement.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by earlalright(m): 4:37pm On Mar 09, 2011
na we dey spoil naija. this country is not as bad as we think. i know of somebody who is a foreign first class student with a job and is crazy about our NYSC. this country is cool you know and i love her
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by martinosi: 4:44pm On Mar 09, 2011
dell_net:

Come on what is so hard in NYSC. Prolly the kid wants to serve in public office in Nigeria later in his career. When I challenged doing NYSC I was stabbed with this statement.

Bro, i just saying that the poster should "think deeply" about this move
before they make it.

I just like to know why people who are born and raised abroad would do it.

Can all the nigerians who where born and raised in Nigerian that studied
abroad weigh in on this one.As most of you did not do NYSC and i guess if you
went back to 9ja you would have gone to the Private Sector which exempts you anyway.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by martinosi: 4:46pm On Mar 09, 2011
earlalright:

na we dey spoil naija. this country is not as bad as we think. i know of somebody who is a foreign first class student with a job and is crazy about our NYSC. this country is cool you know and i love her

O.k, thanks for your enthusiasm!!! Can we get this so called foreign friend of yours to weigh in on this discussion,
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 4:49pm On Mar 09, 2011
For those coming from abroad --- NYSC it is fun if u're around a particular age like: 20-27, I wouldn't advise NYSC anytime after that age  range.  Because u get to explore and try sooo many kool things that you could NOT do abroad. Plus, u're still young.

But for those "Americana" who have no business in Nigeria ---- hopefully, you come back alive and I mean this.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by eros(m): 6:00pm On Mar 09, 2011
NYSC is a joke and time waster. angry angry angry angry angry Time is to precious to be wasted supposedly serving fatherland. I hope you have a good tale to tell after your service because so many who were this passionate about NYSC like yourself cannot even tell of its bitter experience.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by rockzy(f): 6:11pm On Mar 09, 2011
I'm a foreign trained serving in abuja right now Batch C. Dont worry as long as you have your
*WAEC CERTIFICATE OR A REPLACEMENT
*YOUR DIPLOMA, thats Your Degree certificate. You are fine.
*OFCOURSE WITH YOUR NIGERIAN PASSPORT.
*AND YES U GET TO THE OPTION OF SERVING WHERE U WANA SERVE.

If U got any question hola
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by manny4life(m): 6:19pm On Mar 09, 2011
If I might ask though, why do people have to do NYSC?
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by InkedNerd(f): 6:59pm On Mar 09, 2011
Oh, I remember asking my mom about doing NYSC not too long ago cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Corps Member In Osun Commmissions Borehole In This Recession Period (see Photos) / Mckinsey Nigeria Young Leaders Program For Corpers / Useful N.Y.S.C Terms And Definitions You Should Get Familiar With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.