Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme (13602 Views)

NYSC Signs MoU To Include Corps Members On NHIS Programme / Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading / NYSC To Deploy 80% Of Corps Member To Rural Areas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Charisma01: 5:03pm On Oct 12, 2021
Fe190:

NYSC has actually affected more of our graduates negatively, normally final year students are supposed to make preparations to get jobs and make themselves employable in their finals, but due to this NYSC we see final year students being lazy and praying or running things for a good PPA instead of thinking of how to add value (cant really blame them, since it's the system). Funny enough, NYSC also encourages cheap labor. I think the program has overstayed its welcome.

Nysc gives you a good working experience which can help in any future endeavours.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Charisma01: 5:05pm On Oct 12, 2021
kayuseful:

Even Gowon didn't create it for employment.
Npower xan comfortably help you too.

Have you thought of it that nysc is also the reason many schools and companies are not hiring graduates? They prefer cheap labour Corp members give them
True but think of companies like mobil, unilever, pz. Will you say the same for them?.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by dosage150(m): 5:15pm On Oct 12, 2021
alphaNomega:
850 what?

EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY NAIRA
BANK CHARGE IS TWENTY NAIRA

YOU ARE LEFT WITH EIGHT HUNDRED AND THIRTY NAIRA

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by dosage150(m): 5:18pm On Oct 12, 2021
Cognitivereason:
That an exaggeration.. NYSC has helped a lot of youths with jobs which they retained after the service...more over..so ur saying that only those from Lagos be posted to Lagos and those from zamfara be posted to zamfara...excuse me but... What advantage does that bring to the table of insecurity.. How does it make them any safer..
After all many non indigenes in different states will still have to travel to their state.. So what d point.. Or u think the average youth will run his entire education and life in his state b4 service?

Why can't the govt calculate the monthly stipend and pay to graduates

Maybe it has been long you served
People of old enjoyed the real objective of this scheme
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Newton2024: 5:29pm On Oct 12, 2021
chigoziri2403:
This survey was conducted by NYSC STAFF ON NYSC STAFF, Very skewed
The results doesn't mirror the mind of the populace
Exactly. It's proudly sponsored by NYSC. They fear for their jobs.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by AkaraAndBread: 6:56pm On Oct 12, 2021
Blue3k:

I didn't say that blind liar. Lol you're wedded to your foolish comments. How hard is it to just admit you quoted the wrong person?

Una sabi abuse unasef for this forum sha... But I no come here come fight.

According to the law (the NYSC Act of 1993, section 12, sub-section 1a), an NYSC discharge certificate is still a requirement for seeking employment in any organization (public or private).

Kemi Adeosun's case bordered on certificate forgery. However, Justice Taiwo of the Federal High Court (who presided over her case) in his judgement stated that an NYSC discharge certificate is NOT A REQUIREMENT for holding ANY public office in Nigeria.... a political judgement if one was to ask for my opinion.

A discharge certificate (or a certificate of exemption) is still needed to seek employment in Nigeria. Failure to go for service can attract a fine of N2K, a 12 month jail sentence or both.

This is one example of the retrogressive laws in Nigeria that needs to be repealed.

Unfortunately the youth who are the victims of such a law are not inclined to seeing the end to a one year program that sees them being used as cheap labour, while doing little to improve their job prospects and also endangers their lives.

Like I said earlier, the program may have been relevant in the 70s, but it has absolutely no place in the scheme of things in 2021 and beyond.

If Nigerians fail to see that, then I stand by my words that Nigeria cannot get better.

There is no basis for civil conscription in our society anymore. If anyone would like to see what the rest of Nigeria looks like he/she should do it at his/her own time and on his/her own dime.

Nobody should be compelled in any way to do civil conscription anymore especially when the risks far outweigh the benefits.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by AkaraAndBread: 8:48pm On Oct 12, 2021
Trojan8:
My only annoyance is that, it's only those that are done with service that keeps crying for it to be scrapped.

You went for service, allow others. It's not like they are complaining to you or

There's a saying.; "Learn from the older peer group in order not to repeat their mistakes"

I served in 2005. In hindsight, my humble opinion is that the program had very little benefits back then and even less so today.

The reality is that Corp members provide cheap labour that is readily available and the program itself does little to enhance corp members' career prospects.

If you add the current insecurity issues nationwide it makes it even less desirable to subject a young graduate - who should be more concerned with thoughts of how to establish a foothold in an ever dwindling labour market - through the whole ordeal.
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by AkaraAndBread: 10:33pm On Oct 13, 2021
Blue3k:

Its hilarious they pretty much admit Nigerians are slaves to used as they see fit. Even if Justice Taiwo gave political judgment the Federal government didn't bother appealing it for what ever reason. NYSC mandates should just be scrapped be in through the courts or by law change. Lol we'll really see how valuable the program is without mandates.

Justice Taiwo was "correct" in his assertion that Kemi Adeosun didn't need an NYSC certificate to become a minister.

The "magomago" in his judgement was that he was silent on the allegations of forgery against Kemi Adeosun (ie "How did she get a certificate of exemption when she wasn't qualified to receive one??" ) ... Oh well, never mind that. This is Nigeria.

The minimum educational qualification (according to Section 147(5) and 192(4) of the 1999 Constitution) required to become a Commissioner/Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, is school leaving certificate (WAEC certificate).

Anyone who is going for ministerial screening with FIVE PhDs is going for an OVERKILL.

As we all know, an NYSC discharge certificate cannot be issued to a secondary school leaver.

So, in summary, a young graduate who has high hopes of going to Abuja to work as a ministerial aide/personal assistant must present his relevant certificates (which would include relevant degrees as well as his NYSC discharge certificate or certificate of exemption).

If he/she is lucky and gets the job, he/she will end up working for a boss who didn't need all that paperwork to become a minister.

That, my good friend @Blue3k, is the classical definition of irony.

May God help us in this country. Wetin Musa don see for gate don dey too much...

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by alphaNomega: 1:44pm On Oct 14, 2021
dosage150:

EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY NAIRA
BANK CHARGE IS TWENTY NAIRA

YOU ARE LEFT WITH EIGHT HUNDRED AND THIRTY NAIRA

grin grin grin grin grin
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUÇK IS THIS. WE DO NOT HAVE A GOVERNMENT, WHAT WE HAVE ARE SLAVE MASTERS

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by tonyson010(m): 3:41pm On Oct 15, 2021
Blue3k:

Are you too lazy to read the research methodology before commenting? NOIPolls answered all your questions and asked people who served and didn't serve.

the research scope n methodology still remains faulty .
My questions were pointing to the fact that the research was not properly done and included non relevant samples.....it doesn't merit the inference *Nigerians* (except Nigeria start n end only in North East ).

Next time understand the point.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Blue3k(m): 3:48pm On Oct 15, 2021
tonyson010:

the research scope n methodology still remains faulty .
My questions were pointing to the fact that the research was not properly done and included non relevant samples.....it doesn't merit the inference *Nigerians* (except Nigeria start n end only in North East ).

Next time understand the point.

Lol your defense is makes less sense surprisingly. They sampled all parts of Nigeria so your last sentence is nonsense. What non revelant samples were included did they interview Brazilians? How was it conducted improperly and what improvements should be made?

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by tonyson010(m): 4:10pm On Oct 15, 2021
Blue3k:

Lol your defense is makes less sense surprisingly. They sampled all parts of Nigeria so your last sentence is nonsense. What non revelant samples were included did they interview Brazilians? How was it conducted improperly and what improvements should be made?

More Nigerians who r not graduate supporting NYSC adds a debatable relevance to the research. Amongst 20 of my friends who did NYSC recently, more than 80% will see it as risk n waste of time.

We don't need fraud research to give credence to something that should either be stopped or remodeled to fit the present situation of the country.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Blue3k(m): 4:39pm On Oct 15, 2021
tonyson010:

More Nigerians who r not graduate supporting NYSC adds a debatable relevance to the research. Amongst 20 of my friends who did NYSC recently, more than 80% will see it as risk n waste of time.

We don't need fraud research to give credence to something that should either be stopped or remodeled to fit the present situation of the country.

I find it funny you can't understand why a high percentage people want to keep the program when you say it should be scrapped or remodeled. The second option is probably most peoples thoughts. Even if you disregard non graduates the opposition drops to 70% instead of 80%. Surveying them is revelant because they vote, pay taxes, and may want to engage in the program in the future.

The survey wasn't about changing your mind to begin with. BTW judging national opinions based on your 20 person friend group would lead to bigger bias. I agree it should be scrapped but it doesn't make our opinion the popular one especially when middle of the road options exist.

How is the study fraudulent? You never answered what changes are needed to be meet your expectations.

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by dosage150(m): 4:46pm On Oct 15, 2021
alphaNomega:
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUÇK IS THIS. WE DO NOT HAVE A GOVERNMENT, WHAT WE HAVE ARE SLAVE MASTERS

You can say that again
I got credit alert of the 'change' they pay this morning
Thank God it didn't spoil my mood all day
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Spherical77(m): 5:28pm On Oct 15, 2021
dosage150:

You can say that again
I got credit alert of the 'change' they pay this morning
Thank God it didn't spoil my mood all day
Your own is still better na, some states don't even pay shishi wink

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by dosage150(m): 5:37pm On Oct 15, 2021
[quote author=Spherical77 post=106764666]Your own is still better na, some states don't even pay shishi wink[/quote

Worth doing is worth doing well
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by dosage150(m): 5:38pm On Oct 15, 2021
Spherical77:
Your own is still better na, some states don't even pay shishi wink

Worth doing is worth doing well

This is just a slap on my face, Lol
Re: NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme by Blue3k(m): 4:22am On Jul 23, 2022
Bump

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nysc Registration Issue, Batch B / NYSC Warns Against Unauthorised Use Of Corps Uniforms, Logo, Others / Irregular Mobilization: Nysc Vows Resistance To Unqualified Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.