Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,226 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

How Do I Become A Person Of Value? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Become A Person Of Value? (605 Views)

Six Habits That Prove A Person Was Born In A Poor Family / What Makes You Unique As A Person? / Is Marriage A Distraction In A Person's Pursuit Of Success? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Newusername(m): 4:05pm On Oct 14, 2021
Good afternoon everyone, with respect to the topic; how do I become a person of value?
From my perspective I see value as something priceless, what people can't do without. That how I understand it for now, but I will appreciate it if I am more enlightened on it. What motivated this question was from Albert Einstein quote "Strive not to be a man of success rather a man of value". Your opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Cc: Pansophist
Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Sonnobax15(m): 4:37pm On Oct 14, 2021
lipsrsealed
My guy,just go download that Teni song "hustle". Since I listened to that song,I come begin to like myself cheesy.

This life no worth the stress at all..... Sometimes when I look at myself,I just smile cool. Not that I'm wealthy yet, neither have I gotten to where I ought to be in life but,at least the respect wey both my family and people for outside dey accrue to me alone,I believe I'm indeed someone of Worth..

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Newusername(m): 4:46pm On Oct 14, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
My guy,just go download that Teni song "hustle". Since I listened to that song,I come begin to like myself cheesy.

This life no worth the stress at all..... Sometimes when I look at myself,I just smile cool. Not that I'm wealthy yet, neither have I gotten to where I ought to be in life but,at least the respect wey both my family and people for outside dey accrue to me alone,I believe I'm indeed someone of Worth.

Thanks boss for the input.
Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:00pm On Oct 14, 2021
A good thread.

Not everytime "my girlfriend is texting another boy with the phone I bought for her. What do I do?"

Anyway, value may be relative to who's measuring.

But generally, I think everyone's got to have principles and a good sense of self worth. When you have principles you don't compromise, and you carry yourself with dignity, you're on your way to being a high value individual.

Principles are what define a man as far as I'm concerned. So what are your principles?

What are you known for?

What codes do you live by?

Do people consider you respectable?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Truvelisback(m): 7:24pm On Oct 14, 2021
In Nigeria, nobody bloody care about ur Degrees or ur struggles in life. Nigerians only Value or respects u based on ur success. So bro, get a good job or make money, then u will see the value.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by pansophist(m): 8:19pm On Oct 14, 2021
1. I own my shit. One thing you'll never see me do is to borrow money from you, or expect you to pay my bills (eg if we go out), or by just becoming a burden to people. Never. I'll rather sweep Oshodi expressway to Mile 2 and get paid, than beg for money. My life motto is that I must be able to carry my own weight at least.

2. Self-treatment. I don't eat, drink, or digest any rubbish because it's sweet. So smoking, drinking beer and soda, and any unhealthy substance is a no-no. You are what you eat. If you eat junk, you'll look like junk. If I lift my shirt right now, you'll see clean six-packs. No joke. Eating for nutrition instead of taste is a key to self-respect. Let food by thy medicine. And the best part is that you'll be fine and healthy.

3. Useless friends - I get mentioned a lot on nairaland for example, but if you don't have a sense I won't waste single energy responding to you. I have few friends, and they matter. If I call three of my friends right not that I need cash, four will respond positively. That doesn't mean I ask, just telling you the quality of friends I keep. If you keep idiots as friends, you'll suffer from idiotic problems.

4. Keeping to my lane - in fact, it is only on nairaland I write a lot but in real life, I'm a damn introvert. I'll be looking like I did not know anything but my brain has done all the quadratic equations and guessed accurately what anyone is up to. So yea, do not go where you're not invited and keep to yourself. Don't talk anyhow. It's tempting I know, but just shut up man.

5. Competence - this is the most important one. You must be good at something. Pick one thing and do it well. It can be anything, but it's easier if you're passionate about it. For example, when I was in school, I was known as the best writer and speaker. Like seriously it's impossible to sleep if I handle the mic. Dem no born you well. Try am. You can't. I've always been interested in how the human mind process words, and calibrated my speech in such a way that sparks your interests and brings out that childlike curiosity that has been beaten away by the suffering of adulthood.

When you're good at something, people will come to you for it. And it brings confidence. You'll feel good about yourself and your ability, and respect will come naturally.

6. Exercise. I hold the opinion that you can't feel confident if you know deeply that you're not physically attractive. When you can easily get in and out of relationship and have options scattered around you, you'll have confidence as it signifies your value. Think about it, why do young girls of maybe 17, that are broke, have no achievement in the real world but have ego the size of aso rock? Yea you guess right. They are at their prime, naturally attractive, hence the confidence. They know the value they hold, and it let them navigate life with pride. As a man, you can tap from it too. Go lift heavy weight man, eat healthy and rock a bad ass beard. Fine like mad. Even if you're an idiot, your confidence will sky rocket.

7. Self-disappointment - stop it. You said you'll visit grandma but didn't go, or that you'll loose weight but slack. Or your new year resolution dumped. Come on man. If you disappoint yourself, then its impossible to respect yourself. Do shit you want to do, dutifully. And do things that are hard. The only way out is always through it. If you can't rely on the promise you gave yourself, why would someone else do? Treat yourself like someone you care for. It's hard I know, but its the way out.

8. Be proactive about life, not reactive. Don't wait until things get worse in your life before you fix it. If a friend is bad for you, don't wait until you become their victim before cutting them off, or as they day, prevention is better than cure. Also, don't be a lifter, unless you're up there already. People will shame you when you live your life with audacity and responsibility, and that's a good reason to dispose such folks.

As you grow in your development journey, you'll realise that you'll become detached from the general populace, because quite frankly, most people don't want to better themselves. Especially in Nigeria. Its a lonely journey but worth it, and you'll never want to go back. Your life will be far more peaceful, and stressless. The less develop a person is, the more expensive it is to be their friend. For example non of my friends will busy my call because of fear that I want go beg for something. Instead, they would know that my call is always a blessing. Good discussion, nice business deals and more. Now try date a typical girl that see you as a wallet, or be friends to those useless friends that talks only about football drinks women etc you get the point.

Would have written more, but I'm tired. Digest this one first. Later jare. [/b]

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by mariahAngel(f): 8:29pm On Oct 14, 2021
To become a person of value, you have to start by adding value to yourself through knowledge, always strive to become a better version of yourself.
Gain as much knowledge as possible.
Learn new things every day.

Then, you add value to the lives of those you come in contact with as much as you can (it could be through sharing of your knowledge).
Have it in mind that the knowledge you acquire is not just for yourself, otherwise, it has not much value.

As the saying goes nobody is indispensable, but strive to be indispensable.
Always let your work speak for you. Give extra, not mediocre.
Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well.
Aim to be a perfectionist.
Make yourself almost irreplaceable.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Newusername(m): 8:48pm On Oct 14, 2021
PrimadonnaO:
A good thread.

Not everytime "my girlfriend is texting another boy with the phone I bought for her. What do I do?"

Anyway, value may be relative to who's measuring.

But generally, I think everyone's got to have principles and a good sense of self worth. When you have principles you don't compromise, and you carry yourself with dignity, you're on your way to being a high value individual.

Principles are what define a man as far as I'm concerned. So what are your principles?

What are you known for?

What codes do you live by?

Do people consider you respectable?

Hmm. Interesting questions. I am grateful for your response. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Newusername(m): 8:48pm On Oct 14, 2021
Truvelisback:
In Nigeria, nobody bloody care about ur Degrees or ur struggles in life. Nigerians only Value or respects u based on ur success. So bro, get a good job or make money, then u will see the value.

Thanks for this
Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Newusername(m): 8:58pm On Oct 14, 2021
pansophist:
what I do that makes people respect me.

1[b]. I own my shit. [/b]One thing you'll never see me do is to borrow money from you, or expect you to pay my bills (eg if we go out), or by just becoming a burden to people. Never. I'll rather sweep Oshodi expressway to Mile 2 and get paid, than beg for money. My life motto is that I must be able to carry my own weight at least.

2. Self-treatment. I don't eat, drink, or digest any rubbish because it's sweet. So smoking, drinking beer and soda, and any unhealthy substance is a no-no. [b]You are what you eat.
If you eat junk, you'll look like junk. If I lift my shirt right now, you'll see clean six-packs. No joke. Eating for nutrition instead of taste is a key to self-respect. Let food by thy medicine. And the best part is that you'll be fine and healthy.

3. Useless friends - I get mentioned a lot on nairaland for example, but if you don't have a sense I won't waste single energy responding to you. I have few friends, and they matter. If I call three of my friends right not that I need cash, four will respond positively. That doesn't mean I ask, just telling you the quality of friends I keep. If you keep idiots as friends, you'll suffer from idiotic problems.

4[b]. Keeping to my lane[/b] - in fact, it is only on nairaland I write a lot but in real life, I'm a damn introvert. I'll be looking like I did not know anything but my brain has done all the quadratic equations and guessed accurately what anyone is up to. So yea, do not go where you're not invited and keep to yourself. Don't talk anyhow. It's tempting I know, but just shut up man.

5. [b]Competence - [/b]this is the most important one. You must be good at something. Pick one thing and do it well. It can be anything, but it's easier if you're passionate about it. For example, when I was in school, I was known as the best writer and speaker. Like seriously it's impossible to sleep if I handle the mic. Dem no born you well. Try am. You can't. I've always been interested in how the human mind process words, and calibrated my speech in such a way that sparks your interests and brings out that childlike curiosity that has been beaten away by the suffering of adulthood.

When you're good at something, people will come to you for it. And it brings confidence. You'll feel good about yourself and your ability, and respect will come naturally.

6. Exercise. I hold the opinion that you can't feel confident if you know deeply that you're not physically attractive. When you can easily get in and out of relationship and have options scattered around you, you'll have confidence as it signifies your value. Think about it, why do young girls of maybe 17, that are broke, have no achievement in the real world but have ego the size of aso rock? Yea you guess right. They are at their prime, naturally attractive, hence the confidence. They know the value they hold, and it let them navigate life with pride. As a man, you can tap from it too. Go lift heavy weight man, eat healthy and rock a bad ass beard. Fine like mad. Even if you're an idiot, your confidence will sky rocket.

7. Self-disappointment - stop it. You said you'll visit grandma but didn't go, or that you'll loose weight but slack. Or your new year resolution dumped. Come on man. If you disappoint yourself, then its impossible to respect yourself. Do shit you want to do, dutifully. And do things that are hard. The only way out is always through it. If you can't rely on the promise you gave yourself, why would someone else do? Treat yourself like someone you care for. It's hard I know, but its the way out.

8. Be proactive about life, not reactive. Don't wait until things get worse in your life before you fix it. If a friend is bad for you, don't wait until you become their victim before cutting them off, or as they day, prevention is better than cure. Also, don't be a lifter, unless you're up there already. People will shame you when you live your life with audacity and responsibility, and that's a good reason to dispose such folks.

As you grow in your development journey, you'll realise that you'll become detached from the general populace, because quite frankly, most people don't want to better themselves. Especially in Nigeria. Its a lonely journey but worth it, and you'll never want to go back. [/b]Your life will be far more peaceful, and stressless. The less develop a person is, the more expensive it is to be their friend. For example non of my friends will busy my call because of fear that I want go beg for something. Instead, they would know that my call is always a blessing. Good discussion, nice business deals and more. Now try date a typical girl that see you as a wallet, or be friends to those useless friends that talks only about football drinks women etc you get the point.

Would have written more, but I'm tired. Digest this one first. Later jare.

Thank you very much for this. I am grateful.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Newusername(m): 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2021
mariahAngel:
To become a person of value, you have to start by adding value to yourself through knowledge, always strive to become a better version of yourself.
Gain as much knowledge as possible.
Learn new things every day.

Then, you add value to the lives of those you come in contact with as much as you can (it could be through sharing of your knowledge).
Have it in mind that the knowledge you acquire is not just for yourself, otherwise, it has not much value.

As the saying goes nobody is indispensable, but strive to be indispensable.
Always let your work speak for you. Give extra, not mediocre.
Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well.
Aim to be a perfectionist.
Make yourself almost irreplaceable.

Thank you ma. I am so grateful. smiley

1 Like

Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 14, 2021
pansophist:
[b] what I do that makes people respect me.

1. I own my shit. One thing you'll never see me do is to borrow money from you, or expect you to pay my bills (eg if we go out), or by just becoming a burden to people. Never. I'll rather sweep Oshodi expressway to Mile 2 and get paid, than beg for money. My life motto is that I must be able to carry my own weight at least.

2. Self-treatment. I don't eat, drink, or digest any rubbish because it's sweet. So smoking, drinking beer and soda, and any unhealthy substance is a no-no. You are what you eat. If you eat junk, you'll look like junk. If I lift my shirt right now, you'll see clean six-packs. No joke. Eating for nutrition instead of taste is a key to self-respect. Let food by thy medicine. And the best part is that you'll be fine and healthy.

4. Keeping to my lane - in fact, it is only on nairaland I write a lot but in real life, I'm a damn introvert. I'll be looking like I did not know anything but my brain has done all the quadratic equations and guessed accurately what anyone is up to. So yea, do not go where you're not invited and keep to yourself. Don't talk anyhow. It's tempting I know, but just shut up man.

5. Competence - this is the most important one. You must be good at something. Pick one thing and do it well. It can be anything, but it's easier if you're passionate about it. For example, when I was in school, I was known as the best writer and speaker. Like seriously it's impossible to sleep if I handle the mic. Dem no born you well. Try am. You can't. I've always been interested in how the human mind process words, and calibrated my speech in such a way that sparks your interests and brings out that childlike curiosity that has been beaten away by the suffering of adulthood.

As you grow in your development journey, you'll realise that you'll become detached from the general populace, because quite frankly, most people don't want to better themselves. Especially in Nigeria. Its a lonely journey but worth it, and you'll never want to go back. Your life will be far more peaceful, and stressless. The less develop a person is, the more expensive it is to be their friend. For example non of my friends will busy my call because of fear that I want go beg for something. Instead, they would know that my call is always a blessing. Good discussion, nice business deals and more. Now try date a typical girl that see you as a wallet, or be friends to those useless friends that talks only about football drinks women etc you get the point.

Lift your shirt I want to see the clean six packs
Re: How Do I Become A Person Of Value? by Polynek(m): 1:10am On Oct 15, 2021
pansophist:
[b] what I do that makes people respect me.

You hv said it all Bro, nice write-up

(1) (Reply)

. / Puff Puff Mix / What Do You Think About This Picture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.