Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,205 members, 7,836,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! (1207 Views)

Do "One Naira" Girls Exist? Or Is It Just A Fairytale? / Tomorw She Go Say, Na One Woman For Her Village Dey Do Her / Whether Na One Naira!…yeah Right! Potential Or Ready Made Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by ebony4life(f): 1:09pm On Jun 01, 2011
Undoubtedly, the track “One Naira” off Nigerian rap sensation, MI’s sophomore album MI2 is easily a fan favourite. Coming off a much anticipated, yet not-quite-up-to-par with his hit debut album. The track dwells on the idyllic topic of romance with or without finance. Well, as nice and as well-meaning as it may sound, One Naira tries to sell us a lie – the lie that love (the true one as well as the fake one) does not require money.

Like any Nigerian who listened to music in the 80s, African American songstress Gwen Guthrie said it all in her 1986 hit, Ain’t Nothin’ Goin’ on But the Rent: men have to have a J-O-B if they want to be with her or any woman for that matter. Money, excuse me, plenty money is certainly a sine qua non in matters of the heart for without it, like erstwhile rapper Freestyle said in his track Money, “Woman cannot gel!” Allow me to illustrate.

At the university, my friend Ayo met a very lovely and pretty girl, let’s call her Shade. Ayo and Shade became good friends and he carried a torch for her. At the time however, Shade was in a relationship that lasted all through university, so Ayo bid his time and waited for his chance. His chance came at graduation when Shade broke up with her boyfriend. He said that it was as if heaven had smiled down upon him; finally Shade was his. They served in different states and they tried to see each other as often as possible. They would take long walks, hold hands and declare their love for each other. They talked about their plans for the future as he said he had every intention of spending the rest of his life with her. She said she felt the same way, and things could not have been better. They declared their love for each other saying all the sweet nothings – truths and lies – that accompany such tender moments. And of course she said what I am sure most women have said at one time or the other: “I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. It doesn’t matter even if we don’t have any money…money is not a big deal…I could live under the bridge with you if that was our only option, just as long as I am with you!” And did Ayo believe her? Hmm…he did o! Of course he had no plans of residing anywhere near a bridge or flyover but it seemed very reassuring to know that Shade was someone who would support him even if he didn’t have much; someone who would not push him into doing things that he could not do. Alas, Ayo was wrong. Only four months post-service, and no job, Shade told him that he was not ambitious. Ouch!!! Whatever happened to “staying with me under the bridge?” The writing was definitely on the wall. Well, needless to say things did not work out between them as I guess there were a few issues that one naira could not solve.

Funny enough, I find that it is always the women who are the ones who make such promises. It is not like the guys made them make such commitments at the threat of breaking up with them now? So why even bring it up? Truth be told, (responsible) guys know that they need to have money to take care of a woman; they wouldn’t want to date or marry a woman only to have her suffer. Man is meant to be the primary provider, with the woman acting as a help-meet. So we don’t need such declarations! Or I could be wrong o; maybe it serves to add weight to the depth of feeling and emotions being felt by the woman. Maybe guys see it as an ego boost when they imagine that their girlfriends or wives would not leave them even if they had just one naira!

We can excuse the relationships because after all as some guys would say, “Na me be her papa?” But money is important in every relationship, especially in marriage as the man has to provide and care for his wife. Truth be told, most women today are not even willing to settle for ‘potential’ – you know the intelligent guy that has a good first degree and has the potential to make it in life. They would prefer ready-made guys. MI raps about how his babe should stick with him “although the money is a maybe”! Laugh Out Loud!! All I can say is that he has keyed into the seemingly romantic notion of love without limits and turned it into a hit song. Sharp guy. I have seen too many marriages shake and crumble because the man had challenges providing for his wife and/or family. The irony is that this one naira part is actually part of the traditional Christian wedding vows, remember “for richer, for poorer”? Or maybe they should take that part out of the vows, like a girl I met said with all seriousness, “If he can’t take care of me, why bother?”

So in all seriousness, please, let’s not deceive ourselves here. There is no such thing as “romance without finance.” I daresay money is what makes the romance sweet sef; it is what oils the gears of love. Or do you want to be trekking when you can jump BRT; or enter BRT when you can board okada; or board okada when you can take a ride in a taxi?
Guys please do not be deceived when a woman tells you such things like what Waje is crooning in One Naira o! it is just empty, sweet nothings and should not be taken seriously or else you might just get the shock of your life. And ladies, please don’t tell me it is a euphemism. Stop deceiving us, thank you.

by T.J. O'karo

Ladies is this true?
what do you have say about this?

Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by MrCork17: 1:13pm On Jun 01, 2011
ebony4life (f). madam can you repeat the question slowly? undecided

1 Like

Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by MMM2(m): 1:20pm On Jun 01, 2011
angry
Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by no1madman(m): 1:36pm On Jun 01, 2011
Abeg summarise in one fuckin sentence. . . .
Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by ebony4life(f): 1:40pm On Jun 01, 2011
We have been accused of promising to stand by a guy, through the thick and thin but we don't fulfill such promise. That is Whether na one Naira or One Million,
So am asking if the female N/Landers agree to this, cos I don't agree. A lot of times, we stand through the thick and thin with our man but when success comes, he forgets the sacrifice.
Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by iice(f): 2:31pm On Jun 01, 2011
Someone posted this before. It's human to forget people in times of success.
Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by DeepSoul(f): 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2011

If he forgets the sacrifice, then he doesn't deserve being with the special woman who's there ALWAYS. So it may hurt, but in the long run, it'll be his loss, in that regard. . .
Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jun 01, 2011
Some one said - honey na money! without money nobody calls u honey!

Weather na 1 naira [girls will tell u to count them out] weather na 1 million [the million must be in dollars cause one million naira cant take her on a decent nice shopping]

The new vow is - for richer yep! we are 2geda [who no wan be patience jonathan]!
for poor - no way! you are on your own [talk less of poorer! - godforbid! says the gurls]
Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by jeffman(m): 12:39pm On Jun 08, 2011
to everyone his own. there are ladies that are "whether na one naira" and there are those who feel money matters in a relationship. I wont say either of them is better and anyone who wants any of them shld have d qualities they desire. U cannot be poor and except a girl dat feels money matters to date U.

The issue i have is with ladies whining abt the sacrifices they made by dating u when u where poor. Except u had assisted me in whatever way intellect, finance (i personally would not accept), prayers etc. when i was poor, what u call sacrifices is actually "opportunity cost" (if u permit me to use that). u are looking at what u lost by not dating the many rich men who wanted U and dat is not a "Whether na one naira" mentality.

1 Like

Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by annita19(f): 12:49pm On Jun 08, 2011
OMG I can't believe I read this whole novel.

@Topic I guess this has more to do with African/Nigerian women, you know we all share different mentality and mindful when it comes to promises.
Re: Whether Na One Naira!: Yeah Right! by 190: 4:08pm On Jun 08, 2011
annita19:

OMG I can't believe I read this whole novel.

@Topic I guess this has more to do with African/Nigerian women, you know we all share different mentality and mindful when it comes to promises.

kiss kiss

(1) (Reply)

What Does This Mean? / Spending Is The Reason Ugly Guys Get The Finest Babes, True Or False? / I Need A Black Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.