Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono (4752 Views)

Spent About 14,500 On This Sweet Okra Soup that will last 6 months. / Naija Man Makes The Best Okra Soup In Brazil! (pix) / How Can I Make My Okro Soup Draw ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkiee: 3:23am On Oct 21, 2021
mariahAngel:

Why would you need to add the waterleaf though?
Do you like your okra soup extra slimy?

I remember when my mum would boil (or blanch) our waterleaves before adding to the ( vegetable) soup.
I wonder what purpose that served. Probably to reduce the excess water. undecided
Waterleaf dey already add too much water to the soup so maybe the boiling was to help get rid of some of that. undecided

As for blending, Op suggested earlier that the Uturu which he mistook got water leaf, could be blended and added to soup to improve gooinesss. undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkiee: 3:24am On Oct 21, 2021
armyofone:
We (kids) liked it plain. Straight plain ujuju vegetable soup for us.
We don't like any vegetable added to okra or ogbono soup too. To me, it's too stuffy.
What other vegetables are local to Delta cuisine and not found in other areas that you know of? undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 2:16pm On Oct 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Waterleaf dey already add too much water to the soup so maybe the boiling was to help get rid of some of that. undecided

As for blending, Op suggested earlier that the Uturu which he mistook got water leaf, could be blended and added to soup to improve gooinesss. undecided

I don't know why I find the latter part of this comment funny. cheesy
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by armyofone(m): 8:37pm On Oct 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
What other vegetables are local to Delta cuisine and not found in other areas that you know of? undecided

I'm not really sure of other vegetables.
By the way, I ate ujuju while in Lagos and Ibadan.

I think same vegetables are everywhere in Nigeria no matter what part - just that some people may not know they are edible or how to cook it.

1 Like

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkiee: 1:16am On Oct 22, 2021
armyofone:
I'm not really sure of other vegetables.
By the way, I ate ujuju while in Lagos and Ibadan.

I think same vegetables are everywhere in Nigeria no matter what part - just that some people may not know they are edible or how to cook it.
I had never heard of Ujuju before this and I doubt most have. It would be nice to know of lots more plants out there that could be used for food with cost of food as high as it is in Nigeria now. undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by armyofone(m): 6:32pm On Oct 22, 2021
You are right.

Uziza, okazi, scent leaf, ewedu, bitter leaf, spinach, Ugu, shoko, water leaf and many more vegetables are there in Nigeria - but many are forming....so it is easy to miss or ignore what they have around them in the market.

Cost me less to make Kale stew for my rice than making straight stew cheesy

Also, people just focus on their own indigenous vegetables and not willing to try something else. Ewedu is an example. I doubt an hungry hausa person will eat Ewedu even if his life depends on it grin

Kobo, maybe the reason you haven't heard of Ujuju is cuz u dey form Domino pizza, shawarma and KFC grin wink

Kobojunkiee:
I had never heard of Ujuju before this and I doubt most have. It would be nice to know of lots more plants out there that could be used for food with cost of food as high as it is in Nigeria now. undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Sufferingboy(f): 5:56pm On Oct 23, 2021
Ujuju is not water leave,

We Ikas call waterleaf "Gborogi".

Igboid I go like cook Ujuju leave soup with Eletu(Rabbit) for you.

My late father too eat ujuju soup those days.

Some benins don't eat that soup(Ujuju) because of some juju(deities) they have in their family.

Ni Ika Rimma.

1 Like

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Igboid: 6:35pm On Oct 23, 2021
Sufferingboy:

Some benins don't eat that soup(Ujuju) because of some juju(deities) they have in their family.

Ni Ika Rimma.

All Igbos call water leaf Ngborogi, Ugborodi, Gborogi, Ngborodi, etc.
Depending on your clan.

I know Ujuju to be a strictly Anioma, especially IKA Soup.
All parts of Igboland have leaves perculiar to them.
In Nkanu, they have a leaf they call "Awa" or something.
Only them eat it.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Sufferingboy(f): 7:45pm On Oct 23, 2021
Igboid:

Depending on your clan.

Only them eat it.

This your mumu and propaganda nor dey tire you?
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkie: 11:00pm On Oct 23, 2021
Igboid:
Depending on your clan.

Only them eat it.
What other examples do you know of? I am interested in trying out other vegetables please. undecided

Also do you happen to have a picture of his Awa leaf and maybe it's English name? undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkie: 11:02pm On Oct 23, 2021
armyofone:
You are right.
Uziza, okazi, scent leaf, ewedu, bitter leaf, spinach, Ugu, shoko, water leaf and many more vegetables are there in Nigeria - but many are forming....so it is easy to miss or ignore what they have around them in the market.
Cost me less to make Kale stew for my rice than making straight stew cheesy
[b]Also, people just focus on their own indigenous vegetables and not willing to try something else. [/b]Ewedu is an example. I doubt an hungry hausa person will eat Ewedu even if his life depends on it grin
Kobo, maybe the reason you haven't heard of Ujuju is cuz u dey form Domino pizza, shawarma and KFC grin wink
You've got the wrong person then. When it comes to food, I am open to trying anything. After all that is how I came to learn about waterleaf as a kid. undecided
I almost tried elephant grass one time because somehow I felt that since goats ate them, they couldn't really be that harmful. Unfortunately, couldn't get past the smell of it. undecided

Recently, I read somewhere that Dandelion leaves are also used for food in the SW - called Efo Yanrin - but I have been wondering how true it is that this common pest of a weed can be used for soup. undecided

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 8:02pm On Nov 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What other examples do you know of? I am interested in trying out other vegetables please. undecided

Also do you happen to have a picture of his Awa leaf and maybe it's English name? undecided

I don’t think okazi is specific to southern Igboland (Calabar people use them in one of their most characteristic soups and just call it Afang, of course) but it does seem to be mostly Imo and Abia Igbos who actually cook with it. You wouldn’t ever see a Nnewi or an Awka woman cooking anything other than maybe egusi (the egusi-okazi combination seems to be somewhat more widespread across the East than any other okazi-infused food) with that leaf.

Onugbu’s technically universal (I suppose, at least within the perimeters of eastern Nigeria and possibly Cameroon) but obviously it’s Anambra-lite people who deal with it the most. (Does anyone from Imo actually cook ofe onugbu, out of interest? Does anyone actually know?)

1 Like

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by armyofone(m): 7:59pm On Nov 04, 2021
There used to be a meal my grandmother made from yellow yam. I think they call it okpo iji - like yellow yam okpo.

Ever had it ? I so love yellow yam Nd miss eating it. My grandfather was a real great yam farmer with huge barn all over his yam farms.

No dull moments - Yellow yam, nwa pu iji, opeyin, one type of sweet light red colored yam, water yam etc

RIP grandpa and grandma!

Sufferingboy:

Ni Ika Rimma.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 12:24pm On Oct 03, 2022
Probz:
Has anyone ever tried the following tip: boiling ujuju (water) leaves, blending them and adding to the soup?

Of-course okro soup without ogbono draws perfectly-fine so long as the okra’s cut down in an appropriately-meticulous way (Igbo people don’t tend to grate, blend or otherwise-process okro in any-other way than hand-chopping, or maybe occasional pounding, and I’m pretty-sure Ondo-Yorubas are like that as well) but I was just interested to hear more about ujuju’s role in draw-soups.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 8:05pm On Sep 10, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
It also comes with a separate taste which it adds to the concoction. undecided

Hmm. Suppose, like.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 8:16pm On Sep 10, 2023
Igboid:

Depending on your clan.

Only them eat it.

What’s awa supposed to be? Ain’t never heard of it.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Igboid: 11:49pm On Sep 10, 2023
Probz:

What’s awa supposed to be? Ain’t never heard of it.

See Ofe Awa here.
Both the raw leaf and the soup.
In the whole Igboland, only Enugu (Nkanu) people use it.

1 Like

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 12:13am On Sep 11, 2023
Igboid:

See Ofe Awa here.
Both the raw leaf and the soup.
In the whole Igboland, only Enugu (Nkanu) people use it.

What’s the generic/scientific name of the leaf?
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by oyesot: 5:51pm On Sep 11, 2023
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by dealerman(m): 9:23pm On Sep 16, 2023
ANY AVAILABLE KITCHEN, RESTAURANT, STAFF CANTEEN SPACE FOR LEASE?

A professional Chef is looking for a (Restaurant, Kitchen, or Staff Canteen) space not 100% utilized, to be given out on lease etc. On the condition that she makes a certain percentage of payment to the owners. Or in any case, depending on the condition of the place and the laid down terms and conditions, an agreement can be reached.

She is willing to provide all her cooking ingredients on a daily basis.

If such a space is available. Please contact this number: SMS only 09098845736.

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 10:49pm On Sep 17, 2023
dealerman:
ANY AVAILABLE KITCHEN, RESTAURANT, STAFF CANTEEN SPACE FOR LEASE?

A professional Chef is looking for a (Restaurant, Kitchen, or Staff Canteen) space not 100% utilized, to be given out on lease etc. On the condition that she makes a certain percentage of payment to the owners. Or in any case, depending on the condition of the place and the laid down terms and conditions, an agreement can be reached.

She is willing to provide all her cooking ingredients on a daily basis.

If such a space is available. Please contact this number: SMS only 09098845736.

Best of luck to the lady bur this is not a thread for business promotion. Keep that stuff out of here, I beg you.

Moreover, why should she be restricted to Ikeja?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Merry Xmas From Manna Barbecue And Grills. It's Time For Barbecue ... / Why Zobo Drink Is Good For The Body. / Lovers Of Bread And Tea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.