Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl (14527 Views)

I Am So Worried About My 5-year Old Son / 5-year-old Boy Reveals His Past Life As A Black Woman Who Died 30 years Ago / Georgia Woman Makes Her 5-Year-Old Daughter Pay Rent (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Richy4(m): 6:41am On Oct 18, 2021
What you have to do is simple ( U Needed internet to do this for it to look interesting... u know kids likes pic and Phones)

<<< Bring out white kid's picture and ask her why the kid was white..
<<< Bring out a black kid's pic this time; a boy and ask why the kid was a boy and was also black...
<<< Bring out a plus sized kid and a skinny kid and ask her the difference...

Just be patience and hear her out on all her explanations based on all the pictures then .... u now tell her that everyone is created by God.. and God made them beautiful each an everyone... that she was who she was because God made her beautiful... and that you think she is the most beautiful girl that you have come across.... ask her what she will like to be when she grow up.... if she tells you, just smile and say... I can just picture a confident good looking ( u mention the career she told you)...

Just tell her that her class mate's opinion about her does not count but what u say about her and what God said about her....Tell her that somepeople sometimes makes other feel bad but she should not worry about them that..it's what u said that matters... u will be surprised what that will do to her courage levels...Goodluck... please tell her that someone called Uncle richy says hi..

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by 3ple9ine(m): 11:27am On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:

I'm not saying to make her "orobo" but a little change in her diet to help her grow a little in size and height to match her age. Not necessarily making her fat.

That is the only thing that will make the children naturally stop calling and seeing her as a baby. They are children for crying out loud, not adults. and they don't reason like we adults. They reason, learn and accept practical things better than mere words.

The op, understands what im getting at as a parent even if he doesn't admit it.

OK I understand what you are saying.
But don't you think that it would have been better if he explains to her that she is beautiful and wonderfully made the way she is.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by chloride6: 12:14pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
You people should pump her with enough food because no amount of counseling will do the trick or make her feel better as long as she still looks "smallish" to them and is still being refered to as a baby.

Also remember she spends most part of the day with "them" than you. So, your counseling will only be effective for a few hours and wear off as soon as she gets to school and faces her mates again.

Adding some flesh is the only thing that can build her confidence in no time and make them stop calling her a baby.

OP, do not take this advice...

5 Likes

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by PGKing1(m): 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2021
Continue to speak Positive words to her at all times...
Still your #1 plug for Original Backwoods in naija heck my sig for sure G's only
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Mybrotheralso: 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2021
OlabodeTECH:
Hey guys!

I truly wish I could be anonymous with this funny but troubling challenge.... lol

My family recently moved to another part of the country and the kids changed school. We've all settled down but my daughter is yet to.

She's having a hard time making friends in her new school. She just started Primary class and daily complaint from her is that her peers call her 'a Baby' because she isn't chubby like them.

The other kids appear to be what Yorubas call "Agric"

Please note my daughter isn't skinny. She eats well and has a good stature/height for her age.

She is very confident, smart and outspoken but I feel scared she may start experiencing inferiority complexity at this tender age. No evidence of bullying though based on my discussions with her.

What can I do?
The irony of life, when those so called Agric grow now , they will start fighting to have the stature of your daughter

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by AntiWailer: 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2021
Bros,

Prepare Ur baby girl with sarcastic responses.

I once had a Boss they called his son monkey in one Canadian school.

He told the boy to read and beat the whole class first.

When the boy did, he told him the exact thing to tell them in school the next day.

"If I am a monkey and more brilliant and smarter than you, you are less than a monkey. Go home and tell your parents to figure out your kind of specie"

Written on paper for him to read to them

"She should tell them she can add weight. They can not addbrain"

"She should tell them she is healthier "

That was the end of the monkey bully.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Iykenuwa(m): 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
[s]You people should pump her with enough food because no amount of counseling will do the trick or make her feel better as long as she still looks "smallish" to them and is still being refered to as a baby.

Also remember she spends most part of the day with "them" than you. So, your counseling will only be effective for a few hours and wear off as soon as she gets to school and faces her mates again.

Adding some flesh is the only thing that can build her confidence in no time and make them stop calling her a baby[/s].

To think that an adult typed this, is a serious cause for concern.

11 Likes

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Oizee(f): 12:20pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Why would you even consider feeding your child more food simply to have her fit in with the image of others? What next are you going to break her bones if she is teased of being taller than the other children or will you bleach her skin to fit in with other light-skinned kids? undecided

What the heck is this? undecided
honestly I Taya o
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Ujunkem(f): 12:21pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:

I'm not saying to make her "orobo" but a little change in her diet to help her grow a little in size and height to match her age. Not necessarily making her fat.

That is the only thing that will make the children naturally stop calling and seeing her as a baby. They are children for crying out loud, not adults. and they don't reason like we adults. They reason, learn and accept practical things better than mere words.

Did you say you are a teacher shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by adekeyesolomon(m): 12:21pm On Oct 18, 2021
Let her know she is confident and outstanding among her peers. Promise her special gift if she's able to perform excellently in school.
In time, she will starting feeling among
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by traihit: 12:22pm On Oct 18, 2021
The foremost way to counsel a five year old and indeed most kids (girls especially) under the age of 12 is to build a solid relationship with them first. From there, you can start instilling confidence in them by what you tell them about themselves.

Let her see that she is capable, she is strong and she is the best she can be. The more confidence she develops in herself, the more she will feel free with her school mates, the more they'll voluntarily stop giving her wrong appellations because all kids are sensitive. But kids respect other children who are confident, intelligent and energetic.

Teach her not to ostracize anyone except they don't want to stay near her. She should just be free but she won't learn all these until she learns them from her most comfortable corner (the home) first.

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by mmsen: 12:23pm On Oct 18, 2021
Tell her that being fat is not healthy and that she is fine as is.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by jeff1607(m): 12:24pm On Oct 18, 2021
Involve her in sports or things to get her mind off.

Tho there are other unconventional ways in handling this , the African style grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Oizee(f): 12:26pm On Oct 18, 2021
Iykenuwa:

To think that an adult typed this, is a serious cause for concern.
lol
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by officialfoodie: 12:26pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:

I mean like.. tweak her diet. Add more of fatty foods. Then reduce fiber-rich foods in her diet.

Is that so? Your comment reeks of low self esteem

5 Likes

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by FILEBE(m): 12:27pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:

What exactly is your point because you've not made any sense as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a teacher, not her parents. The best I can do is warn her classmates to stop calling her that but that will not change how the girl feels because she's already lost her self-esteem and needs to regain her confidence back which requires practical solution ( feeding her fat) which only the parents can do and not the teacher!

What would counselling do for 5yr old by the way?

You didn't give a good suggestion ma. Just as you will advice someone to change his/her colour because people mock them for it. Not cool at all. No disrespect but I wouldn't like any of my ward to be taught by you.

How can you say one should overfeed his child because she is being called "baby"? And when this overfeeding becomes a complication sooner or later.. Will you be there to help them out? This your comment just reek of inferiority complex. What if she changes school and she met lots of people like her or she took your advice and became fat then changed school and people started bullying her for being fat.

11 Likes

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by UndauntedYOCA(f): 12:29pm On Oct 18, 2021
Daily/constant words of affirmation will go a long way. Show her videos of children who aren't on the chubby side having fun and laughing so she'll see she isn't the only child who isn't chubby in the world.
Tell her everyone cannot be the same and that she's beautiful and smart just the way she is.
Also, you can bring to the notice of the teachers and school administrators what's happening in the class, it's their duty to ensure there's no form if bullying/talking down on pupils taking place in the school.

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Abemy(m): 12:29pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
You people should pump her with enough food because no amount of counseling will do the trick or make her feel better as long as she still looks "smallish" to them and is still being refered to as a baby.

Adding some flesh is the only thing that can build her confidence in no time and make them stop calling her a baby.

This is my secret.

Tell her to call them baby anytime they call her baby, let her politely answer and also refer to them as baby in response, immediately, all of them will stop.

This trick works perfect, not only in kids but in adults too. Call anyone the same name he or she calls you by, that you dislike and see him or her stopping it without being told.

2 Likes

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 18, 2021
OlabodeTECH:
Hey guys!

I truly wish I could be anonymous with this funny but troubling challenge.... lol

My family recently moved to another part of the country and the kids changed school. We've all settled down but my daughter is yet to.

She's having a hard time making friends in her new school. She just started Primary class and daily complaint from her is that her peers call her 'a Baby' because she isn't chubby like them.

She is very confident, smart and outspoken but I feel scared she may start experiencing inferiority complexity at this tender age. No evidence of bullying though based on my discussions with her.

What can I do?
If they are calling her 'baby' in a derogatory manner and this is all she complains about, then she is being bullied.

Go read articles on how to handle bullying - confronting bullies is the most effective. Also read articles on how you can help her make Friends. It would reduce the loneliness. Speak to her teacher abt her struggles.
Another way to help her like her new environment is for you guys to make friends in ur new church or social group where she could have friends outside of school, attend fun events, birthday parties, Christmas parties. Create fun experiences wt her home friends too like swimming or going to the zoo. So u might have to step out of Ur comfort zone to help her socially.
If the bullying in school doesn't stop, consider a change of school next term. It's worth it.

PS - Please don't take childless nairalanders advice to feed Ur kid fat.

4 Likes

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Chiderao1(m): 12:32pm On Oct 18, 2021
Op this has nothing to do with her diet.. And nothing you can than to always tell her that daddy loves her, and please report to her teacher to stop the students from name calling /tagging.
As a teacher believe me this would work.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by suffering: 12:32pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mscheew. She is the new student so will get teased anyway. If you feed her into the recommended size the children will choose her height, eye colour, accent, gender or whatever they can imagine to pick on. Give her some time and she’ll adjust eventually. If you’re complaining now then I have no idea how you’ll survive her time in secondary school. The teasing there especially with girls can run someone crazy and ruin their self esteem into adulthood.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by SpearofGod(m): 12:33pm On Oct 18, 2021
[quote author=OlabodeTECH post=106826403]Hey guys!

My daughter of similar age also exhibit similar attitude when I changed their school this term. What you should:
* Always ensure you take her to school and pick her up at least for a month. That will help ensure her safety.
* Personally explain to the new teacher the need for her not to be called a baby by her new classmates. That's a form of bully and is taking a toll on her.
* Establish a friendly relationship with the teacher by always calling the teacher in her presence while at home and also making her to say hello to the teacher. This will make the teacher to pay more attention on her, and at the same time make her feel that her plight are being addressed. This will rapidly boost herself esteem and integration into the new environment.

2 Likes

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by UndauntedYOCA(f): 12:38pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:

Being skinny isn't a bad thing. Children can't be the same.
I don't want to upload pictures of me as a child but know that I was one of the skinniest children if not the skinniest in the quarters I lived as a child, my dad even volunteered me to pass through a window so I could open the door of a neighbour/ coworker who had long died. I went in through the window without much struggle. Note that I fed well and lacked nothing as a child.
People cannot be the same please, by the way, I was a teacher for about 5 years and I know how children can be and it's also one's duty to ensure bullying stops in one's class, if one has got to report the kids to their parents or punish them then so be it but do not allow that to take place in the class.
She's a child and is prone to being sensitive so it's not a matter of having low self-esteem.

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by hustla(m): 12:40pm On Oct 18, 2021
Davash222:

She's 5 and she's a Baby.

If she's not comfortable with that, tell her to start calling them Orobo when next they call her a Baby.

Or Fatty Bombom

That one go pain them well

grin

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 18, 2021
This is how we make disgusting excuses for bad behaviors in almost every sphere of Nigeria.

Mercychen:

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by descarado: 12:43pm On Oct 18, 2021
If they call her name, she should give them a befitting name too. They will stop. The only thing you need to teach her is never to fear them.
As long as she is confident, have no fear. Nobody will bully her. They will be best of friends in the future. It always end that way.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Twoclans(f): 12:43pm On Oct 18, 2021
Munzy14:

The best way to defend, is to attack..

If they call her baby, she should call them Orobo( orobo is what we call the 50cl bottle of Pepsi then) more like fat.

Or she can call them fatty bombom...The coded peer bully will die a natural death...grin

Peer influence is a big one for kids at that stage..It can mess up their psychology.

I know you will give the indaboski solution

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by jojo1415: 12:44pm On Oct 18, 2021
Buy books and cheese balls for the lad
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:46pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
ayou people should pump her with enough food because no amount of counseling will do the trick or make her feel better as long as she still looks "smallish" to them and is still being refered to as a baby.

Who are you?

So, to validate a bunch of spoilt and inconsequential kids, they should pump her with food to make her nasty classmates happy?

Honestly, you need beating.

3 Likes

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by NoToPile: 12:52pm On Oct 18, 2021
She should also call them Orobo playfully as they are calling her baby.

All these children ehn oriahirishi dey their hand.

Wait first 5year old is just a little older than toddlers. That age range too are calling someone baby grin grin

They will all get over it jare.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by McBishop2020: 12:53pm On Oct 18, 2021
Hahahahaha!

Based on my experience as an educationist, I have the following to say. You can go for one or two or all of the options below.

1. If you want your child to be happy in that school of hers, make her see that nothing is wrong with the name tag. Make her see the tag "a baby" as the most beautiful tag for "the best in all ramification". At home, Call her names like: my sweet baby, sweet little baby, baby like no other, the best baby, the only baby of house, and other baby related names like that. Make her see the tag as the only name that people who are jealous of her uniqueness can call her because they wish and pray they can be like her.

2. Teach her to tell the world that she's her father's or mother's baby alone. Make her see the tag as nothing but unique and for unique persons.

3. Arrange a meeting with those students that call her BABY; make them your friends; then advise them not to call someone BABY rather they should call one another beautiful, handsome, brilliant, smart, cute, and even genius. By so doing, you are directly building a great society around your child and this will create a super woman of and in your child.

4. However, if you want your girl child to develop a fighting spirit, real street spirit, the spirit of a tigress or a lioness, then teach her to fashion funny names for them too. Names like Orobo, Agidi, hippo, fatty, papa, mama, and at worst, mumu, and the subtle bullying will cease. But your child will face a lot of criticism from the school management and teachers. This is because some of the children that call her BABY may not mean bad.
Thus, this last option can't guarantee her positive development, though will build her into an independent fellow.

FINALLY
Don't fight for her for that will kill her future.

God bless my little baby girl in your lovely home.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Funny Facts Of Life / Linda Hope Panelists Identify Sexual Assault, Deprivation, Others As Threats Fac / 6 Signs Your Child Is A Tech Addict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.