Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,542 members, 7,819,927 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl (14528 Views)

I Am So Worried About My 5-year Old Son / 5-year-old Boy Reveals His Past Life As A Black Woman Who Died 30 years Ago / Georgia Woman Makes Her 5-Year-Old Daughter Pay Rent (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Ytea(f): 12:54pm On Oct 18, 2021
She should tell them they're all babies, whether they're chubby or not. They're all age 5-7.
These babies of now sha.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by descarado: 12:57pm On Oct 18, 2021
Davash222:

She's 5 and she's a Baby.

If she's not comfortable with that, tell her to start calling them Orobo when next they call her a Baby.
Exactly.

At that age, children are already trying to be bullies. Tells more about the homes they come from
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by chrizzyace: 12:59pm On Oct 18, 2021
Continue to encourage her, spend time with her to discuss how her day was in school.. with time she’ll adjust, you’re doing the right thing...
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Zagee: 12:59pm On Oct 18, 2021
Well, whenever you get the right counselling technique, please give your child an egg (boiled) everyday(cheapest form of protein). If she's lucky she'll add. Pump her with enough fats, oil and protein( na your money sha)..
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Munzy14(m): 1:03pm On Oct 18, 2021
Twoclans:

I know you will give the indaboski solution
grin grin
It is now a taboo to train a kid in current naija with softy way...And speaking British English...grin

Just teach them ways to attack on a street level...Street don take over...

If their will be a bully, let it come from my kids...Better than them being bullied..grin
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by adedayoa2(f): 1:34pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:

I'm not saying to make her "orobo" but a little change in her diet to help her grow a little in size and height to match her age. Not necessarily making her fat.

That is the only thing that will make the children naturally stop calling and seeing her as a baby. They are children for crying out loud, not adults. and they don't reason like we adults. They reason, learn and accept practical things better than mere words.

The op, understands what im getting at as a parent even if he doesn't admit it.

that's her stature, everybody can't be big.

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by adedayoa2(f): 1:35pm On Oct 18, 2021
Munzy14:

grin grin
It is now a taboo to train a kid in current naija with softy way...And speaking British English...grin

Just teach them ways to attack on a street level...Street don take over...

If their will be a bully, let it come from my kids...Better than them being bullied..grin
wasere

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by yusluvad(m): 1:35pm On Oct 18, 2021
chatinent:
With time, she will.

She needs family love more than classmate validation.
That's it. Way to go...
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Ladycewhy(f): 1:38pm On Oct 18, 2021
Munzy14:

The best way to defend, is to attack..

If they call her baby, she should call them Orobo( orobo is what we call the 50cl bottle of Pepsi then) more like fat.

Or she can call them fatty bombom...The coded peer bully will die a natural death...grin

Peer influence is a big one for kids at that stage..It can mess up their psychology.
op listen to this comment.

The best she can do is to attack them back.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Ahonsi0R(m): 1:47pm On Oct 18, 2021
[quote][/quote]
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by BigYash: 1:48pm On Oct 18, 2021
Davash222:

She's 5 and she's a Baby.

If she's not comfortable with that, tell her to start calling them Orobo when next they call her a Baby.
You no well ,at all.. grin grin
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:03pm On Oct 18, 2021
OlabodeTECH:
Hey guys!

I truly wish I could be anonymous with this funny but troubling challenge.... lol

My family recently moved to another part of the country and the kids changed school. We've all settled down but my daughter is yet to.

She's having a hard time making friends in her new school. She just started Primary class and daily complaint from her is that her peers call her 'a Baby' because she isn't chubby like them.

The other kids appear to be what Yorubas call "Agric"

Please note my daughter isn't skinny. She eats well and has a good stature/height for her age.

She is very confident, smart and outspoken but I feel scared she may start experiencing inferiority complexity at this tender age. No evidence of bullying though based on my discussions with her.

What can I do?

Tell her she's perfect and to call then fatties.

1 Like

Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Kobojunkie: 2:09pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
I'm not saying to make her "orobo" but a little change in her diet to help her grow a little in size and height to match her age. Not necessarily making her fat.

That is the only thing that will make the children naturally stop calling and seeing her as a baby. They are children for crying out loud, not adults. and they don't reason like we adults. They reason, learn and accept practical things better than mere words.

The op, understands what im getting at as a parent even if he doesn't admit it.
You stil don't realize how disgusting it is to suggest a child change her appearance in order to appease her bullies. undecided
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by vickydevoka(m): 2:10pm On Oct 18, 2021
Enroll your daughter into taekwondo. She will start having confidence. That's what my neighbor did wen de son refuse going to school bcuz de kids bully him all de time. Buh now he has confidence,infact they are scared of him in de class. Too much petting de spoil pikin.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Kobojunkie: 2:12pm On Oct 18, 2021
vickydevoka:
Enroll your daughter into taekwondo. She will start having confidence. That's what my neighbor did wen de son refuse going to school bcuz de kids bully him all de time. Buh now he has confidence,infact they are scared of him in de class. Too much petting de spoil pikin.
No be the same self-esteem lessons she go learn at home her Taekwando teachers go give her? undecided
Taekwando is great and all but she can learn self-esteem without needing to spend money for lessons she may not really have much interest in. undecided
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by vickydevoka(m): 2:24pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
No be the same self-esteem lessons she go learn at home her Taekwando teachers go give her? undecided
Taekwando is great and all but she can learn self-esteem without needing to spend money for lessons she may not really have much interest in. undecided
I been hear Agric.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by aameyah(f): 2:35pm On Oct 18, 2021
Don't pump her with food o. Teach her to be secure with who she is.

If she was fat, same kids would call her bob-leke (big cheeks), owu bi buredi inu omi (swollen like bread inside water) and other hurtful names. Besides, childhood obesity is not easy to curb once it starts. She is okay as she is, healthwise.

She will soon settle in and make friends. Right now, she is the newest kid and it is not easy because everyone already has a best friend. But let her persevere, with your encouragement and love.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by IamAsiri: 2:40pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So, instead of having the gal accept that her mates are wrong, you want her to be made fat to fit in? What a disgusting thing to suggest to be done to a 5-year old or anyone for that matter. undecided

Really disgusting! undecided Imagine asking a little girl to become less healthy because she's being taunted. As if that wasn't how some of those extremely obese people started their lives.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by MummyD2020(f): 2:41pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
You people should pump her with enough food because no amount of counseling will do the trick or make her feel better as long as she still looks "smallish" to them and is still being refered to as a baby.

Also remember she spends most part of the day with "them" than you. So, your counseling will only be effective for a few hours and wear off as soon as she gets to school and faces her mates again.

Adding some flesh is the only thing that can build her confidence in no time and make them stop calling her a baby.

I dont think that pumping her with food to make her look as big as her peers will solve anything. What if thats her nature to be that size? Will you force feed her? What if she ends up having constipation? She might also develop bulimia which is another mental health issue. I believe the op needs a dose of Patience at this point with the girl. Building up her self esteem is paramount in this case. Constantly reassuring the girl that she is beautiful the way she is, that her family loves her and all bodies are not the same i think in my opinion surpasses this idea of over feeding her. Remember our economy sef is very nice at this time. This is what i would do if i find myself in the situation.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Pinkzebra: 2:42pm On Oct 18, 2021
OlabodeTECH:
Hey guys!

I truly wish I could be anonymous with this funny but troubling challenge.... lol

My family recently moved to another part of the country and the kids changed school. We've all settled down but my daughter is yet to.

She's having a hard time making friends in her new school. She just started Primary class and daily complaint from her is that her peers call her 'a Baby' because she isn't chubby like them.

The other kids appear to be what Yorubas call "Agric"

Please note my daughter isn't skinny. She eats well and has a good stature/height for her age.

She is very confident, smart and outspoken but I feel scared she may start experiencing inferiority complexity at this tender age. No evidence of bullying though based on my discussions with her.

What can I do?

Talk to your daughter about how we all look different and that doesn't make us less of a person .
Secondly , talk to the teacher . Politely asks her to talk to other kids to stop calling your daughter a 'baby' . Ask the teacher to encourage other kids to be nice and welcoming to your daughter .
Your daughter might just be reacting to the fact that is a new school in a new environment. I think she will come along . But don't shun her anytime she complains . Listen and affirm her concerns and counter them by giving hope. If these persist more than these term after doing all the above , I think you should be alarmed because it means your kid isn't learning . No child learn in an unconducive environment.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Kobojunkie: 2:42pm On Oct 18, 2021
IamAsiri:
Really disgusting! undecided Imagine asking a little girl to become less healthy because she's being taunted. As if that wasn't how some of those extremely obese people started their lives.
I think the suggestion also has to do with the fact that she is a gal. It is no secret that females in Nigeria are expected to conform to what is considered the norm and this from a very young age. undecided
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by IamAsiri: 2:43pm On Oct 18, 2021
greenie77:

Feeding her fat is not a practical solution in order to meet her peers' expectations. A teacher's role in such situation is to utilize it as learning moments for the children by creating fun activities around respecting body sizes.

Thank you!
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Yusluv13(m): 3:04pm On Oct 18, 2021
It's better to let her understand God created everyone in their best form. Having baby looks doesn't mean she's a baby, even there is advantage for being looking like a baby. She should accept it whenever they call her baby look. Even tell her to make fun of it. Like yoh I'm the PORTABLE GIRL. so you are the chuppy girl. So far as they don't assault her. Encourage her to be very smart and face her study and always make good humorous from everything saying by them. You can reach out to their class teacher and let the class teacher understand how she is feeling with the label by her classmate. If she can't get ride of it from her brain
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Pinkyposh(f): 3:08pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So, instead of having the gal accept that her mates are wrong, you want her to be made fat to fit in? What a disgusting thing to suggest to be done to a 5-year old or anyone for that matter. undecided
Don't mind the girl, she's a child, that's the advice she can think of
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by IamAsiri: 3:17pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I think the suggestion also has to do with the fact that she is a gal. It is no secret that females in Nigeria are expected to conform to what is considered the norm and this from a very young age. undecided

It's annoying o. I was also a skinny girl while I was young. I got called "otoorogo a n'itan teye" by my parents then (meaning an animal having thighs like that of a bird) grin grin grin. They would sing and sing till I got used to it and it wouldn't affect me any longer cheesy
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Laeroy(f): 3:18pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:

What exactly is your point because you've not made any sense as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a teacher, not her parents. The best I can do is warn her classmates to stop calling her that but that will not change how the girl feels because she's already lost her self-esteem and needs to regain her confidence back which requires practical solution ( feeding her fat) which only the parents can do and not the teacher!

What would counselling do for 5yr old by the way?

Mumu teacher is what you should be called...So what if she's been force fed and still no physical changes, what advice would you have for them this time?
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On Oct 18, 2021
IamAsiri:
It's annoying o. I was also a skinny girl while I was young. I got called "otoorogo a n'itan teye" by my parents then (meaning an animal having thighs like that of a bird) grin grin grin. They would sing and sing till I got used to it and it wouldn't affect me any longer cheesy
You got used to it but not all girls do. I recall back in university days in Nigeria, a couple of slim beautiful ladies came about after a semesters break all "fattened" up. I tried to probe them about their reason and I could tell I was digging into an uncomfortable zone for them so I eventually had to let it die. undecided
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 18, 2021
UyaiIncomparabl:

Who are you?

So, to validate a bunch of spoilt and inconsequential kids, they should pump her with food to make her nasty classmates happy?

Honestly, you need beating.

Watch your mouth!
The last time I checked, opinions are like behinds and every body has one.

I have made my opinion. I'll suggest you make yours and get the hell out of my mentions.

Don'
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Kajaard: 3:26pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
You people should pump her with enough food because no amount of counseling will do the trick or make her feel better as long as she still looks "smallish" to them and is still being refered to as a baby.

Also remember she spends most part of the day with "them" than you. So, your counseling will only be effective for a few hours and wear off as soon as she gets to school and faces her mates again.

Adding some flesh is the only thing that can build her confidence in no time and make them stop calling her a baby.

You want the child to become obese? That's how obesity creeps in.

The child will look better and be healthier by being slim, trim or normal weight. Being fat pays no one.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 18, 2021
3ple9ine:

OK I understand what you are saying.
But don't you think that it would have been better if he explains to her that she is beautiful and wonderfully made the way she is.

Of course, he should do that. It's all part of building her confidence. But then again, how long will that stay with her before she loses it again and sink back. Shes just a child. I know what I'm talking about.
Re: How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl by IamAsiri: 3:36pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You got used to it but not all girls do. I recall back in university days in Nigeria, a couple of slim beautiful ladies came about after a semesters break all "fattened" up. I tried to probe them about their reason and I could tell I was digging into an uncomfortable zone for them so I eventually had to let it die. undecided

Hmmm! I only got used to it because it was my parents that were teasing me, and lovingly at that. I still got bullied by boys as a teenager because I was flat grin.

The truth is that parents should make every attempt not to allow their children (boys and girls alike) to get bullied in any form; it is our duty. Or we may monitor the level of bullying so we don't raise spineless children too. Another thing is that if those little bullies don't get corrected on time, they may end up becoming older bullies and sadistic.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Funny Facts Of Life / Linda Hope Panelists Identify Sexual Assault, Deprivation, Others As Threats Fac / 6 Signs Your Child Is A Tech Addict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.