Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,611 members, 7,820,177 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria (26237 Views)

List Of Europeans University That Offers Free Master And Phd Degree / Say No to JAMB!!! Get Bsc/MSC/PHD degree from Lincoln university USA here in Nig / Where Is Yemi Osinbajo's Phd Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by APCNig: 9:45am On Oct 18, 2021
VeeVeeMyLuv:
wrong
School fees alone in some fed school is 200k!

The research for some science field going above 2m!

Still not comparable to $40,000 (approximately 25M Naira) in the USA and about 25,000 Pounds Sterling (approximately 20 Naira) in UK.

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Jefferyhi86(m): 9:46am On Oct 18, 2021
Jefferyhi86:
After all this PhD program u will now be lobbying for driver's job at dangote refinery, b like una never know wetin una go use money doundecided
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by AcetylLily(f): 9:46am On Oct 18, 2021
It’s an expensive thing to venture in honestly

Research work is not something you rush and also you pay school fees year in year out whether you achieved something that year or not; coupled with the strike.

Started mine since 2015; done with my coursework but the project I was stucked with it; Infact I never went back to Idiaraba again.

Even if I decide to go back; all those years I was absent; I will pay the school fees for those years.

Honestly now; am having a re think and looking for a better opportunity.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by PGKing1(m): 9:48am On Oct 18, 2021
Going for your PHD shld be a thing of Job, but once you factor in Nigeria embarassed

Still remain your #1 plug for Original Backwoods in naija
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by MrCover: 9:49am On Oct 18, 2021
2.5million naira
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by edoairways: 9:49am On Oct 18, 2021
Yemosexy the monikers below have answered your query.
seunsamtol4ny4lif,Gamer999,. However, IgiveLadiesBj, and samtol4 gave a contrary opinion which is valid. Unless you do your PhD in a private university, the probability of finishing on time is slime. Our public universities are full with disgruntled lecturers

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Bleiz(m): 9:50am On Oct 18, 2021
Let me take ur highest figure, 400k

That will not pay your acceptance fee and first session school fees

Research work on the other hand will eat above 2 million if you're in the Sciences.

My brother, no do pass urself by planning with 400k

For the entirety of the duration, both fees, research and miscellaneous, budget 4 million Naira.

Jimoh7555:
Thank you Op for this question, I've been searching for the answer as well. I heard its between 250k - 400k in Federal and State Universities.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by NickD(m): 9:54am On Oct 18, 2021
Elsueno:
Bros....I will be honest with you, if u can't do it in private university in Nigeria, then go abroad & do it.

Do not make the mistake of starting a PHd in a public university here. ASUU will go to strike almost every year, ur supervisor might even find it hard to check ur work, they will just be procrastinating for months something dat can be done in weeks.

I repeat do not do that, unless of course u are one of thier staffs, then the waste of time won't really matter as u won't be paying school fees.

Also, some public universities don't care, u will pay school fees every year, even if u weren't able to achieve anything for dat session even if it ain't ur fault
I did mine from Jan 2018-Jan 2020. That's why most universities have centers where strike doesn't apply to them. Although its expensive. Spent 1.3 Million on fees and another 1 million on research, then 80k on final defense fee.

6 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by gwarotango: 9:56am On Oct 18, 2021
dyera:
My brother no be by PhD. Buhari no get SSCE talkless Bsc or Phd, yet he don rule the country for 8 years. Meaning, you can reach any level with just SSCE or Bsc. You only need to apply wisdom to the acquired knowledge.
Point of correction Buhari has a masters degree in strategic studies from the US army war college Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Just because you don't like the man doesn't mean you should belittle his accomplishments

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by hardbody: 10:01am On Oct 18, 2021
Let me put it this way.

In fees i thought i will be paying 600k (200k per session for 3 year - Mphil to Phd)
It turned out I paid 150k as tuition for each semester of the Mphil (300k) - I was driving to Ibadan and staying in hotels at every trip (my choice though but i have not factored this cost in). So in 2 years i paid the 600k already
I recently got converted to proceed with my Phd, having passed all my courseworks (at about 70% per course) and the fees has now become 600k plus for session. I just paid.

Now the cost of research has also not been factored in. I travel, i have a research assistant, i say a lot of 'thank you' and all.

My rough estimate is that I might sink about N2m to get this sorted. You may do less or more depending on your choice school.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by hardbody: 10:03am On Oct 18, 2021
gwarotango:
Point of correction Buhari has a masters degree in strategic studies from the US army war college Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Just because you don't like the man doesn't mean you should belittle his accomplishments

Is it theory or application? I am asking because we are in a war with Boko Haram, when will he apply the skills taught and learnt.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by baralatie(m): 10:06am On Oct 18, 2021
Gamer999:
Roughly 1m.. Tuition, research, project inclusive
Na Yoruba you wan study ba
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 10:07am On Oct 18, 2021
Jimoh7555:
Thank you Op for this question, I've been searching for the answer as well. I heard its between 250k - 400k in Federal and State Universities.
Is more than that tueeh
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by BigDawsNet: 10:08am On Oct 18, 2021
Try PhD scholarship in Australia

Check with the schools across the country
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by baralatie(m): 10:09am On Oct 18, 2021
Bleiz:
Let me take ur highest figure, 400k

That will not pay your acceptance fee and first session school fees

Research work on the other work will eat above 2 million if you're in the Sciences.

My brother, no do pass urself by planning with 400k

For the entirety of the duration, both fees, research and miscellaneous, budget 4 million Naira.

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Rocktation(f): 10:10am On Oct 18, 2021
Yankee101:
Time

Best answer yet.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by excel101(m): 10:10am On Oct 18, 2021
chukwuibuipob:
sad Go to UNILAG and ask them.Stop announcing Urself to village pipu.Not everything we put outside for the world to feed their eye on.
Bros i beg ehn, try dey visit crime section, because na there your mates dey. Its just that na there fit you. No hurt feelings.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Boogyman557: 10:12am On Oct 18, 2021
HOLLY GRAM cool NA 4 NAIJA U 1 DO PHD.. I SWEAR SOME PEOPLE NO JUST WELL. D ONE WAY U DON GET HOW MANY HOUSE OR CARS U DON TAKE AM BUY 4 DIS WE CUNTREE.. GUY U NEED KUSH SO U CAN REASON LIKE A G. WTF MAN
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by sulaak(m): 10:16am On Oct 18, 2021
dyera:
My brother no be by PhD. Buhari no get SSCE talkless Bsc or Phd, yet he don rule the country for 8 years. Meaning, you can reach any level with just SSCE or Bsc. You only need to apply wisdom to the acquired knowledge. So no kill yourself if your money no reach to do PhD.

Nigeria needs research students to analyse the country problem, we can't continue to depend on the UN or NGOs to provide answers to why for example there is black rain in River state this is the responsibility of research in universities.

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by chikason68(m): 10:17am On Oct 18, 2021
Offpoint1:
Why not use the money to stake 2 sure odds on bet9ja?

Fear God na
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by dyera(m): 10:19am On Oct 18, 2021
gwarotango:

Just because he attended the war college doesn't mean he was able to pass the final year exam.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Rocktation(f): 10:20am On Oct 18, 2021
calculator123:
Never pay for a Ph.D.

In countries like the USA, Canada, etc, you do your degree with a full tuition waiver, in return, you work as a teaching assistant or research assistant where you get paid a monthly stipend, enough to cater for your wellbeing and that of a loved one.

You receive the best of education with a chance of getting PR or even citizenship after school.

When you compare the above with the dilapidated state of our education in +234, the "god" behaviour of Professors/lectures alike, ASUU strike, non-availability of research grants, PHCH wahala, etc, you will agree with me that it's plain, undiluted, and crass idiocy to pay for a PhD in +234

If you can, do it overseas, you will be better for it.

Thank you!
It is an abomination in my family to even pay for masters abroad sef, not to speak of PhD and then in Nigeria for that matter. If beta GRE score or supervisor too hard you to get, just manage get partial funding, then come over and find TA or RA to complete the program...Otherwise, remove our surname from your name forever and ever.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by hush15: 10:21am On Oct 18, 2021
Elsueno:
Bros....I will be honest with you, if u can't do it in private university in Nigeria, then go abroad & do it.

Do not make the mistake of starting a PHd in a public university here. ASUU will go to strike almost every year, ur supervisor might even find it hard to check ur work, they will just be procrastinating for months something dat can be done in weeks.

I repeat do not do that, unless of course u are one of thier staffs, then the waste of time won't really matter as u won't be paying school fees.

Also, some public universities don't care, u will pay school fees every year, even if u weren't able to achieve anything for dat session even if it ain't ur fault

I second your thoughts. Ordinary BSC sef, for a 5yr course, you spend 10yrs studying, 2 yes getting result, 1 yr for clearance and probably another 6 months for notification of result and collecting your certificate.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Trustedpronet: 10:22am On Oct 18, 2021
Do not undermine bribery and corruption!
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by adejoro1988(m): 10:25am On Oct 18, 2021
I would have advice you make some research about cheaps school in Europe. Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia etc. In which you will be pay some stipend, After your program you can navigate to other country of your choice. less than 4million as a self sponsorship you'r good to go.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by KayCee92(m): 10:25am On Oct 18, 2021
chukwuibuipob:
sad Go to UNILAG and ask them.Stop announcing Urself to village pipu.Not everything we put outside for the world to feed their eye on.

O boy, ur mentality na die. Omo. So, people still think like this.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by uuzba(m): 10:26am On Oct 18, 2021
kennethfranc:
More Grace. School nobi for everybody
Exactly!

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Yoighaman(m): 10:29am On Oct 18, 2021
gwarotango:

No. Buhari does not have a Master's degree. His defenders are saying he has an equivalent.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by gwarotango: 10:34am On Oct 18, 2021
Yoighaman:

No. Buhari does not have a Master's degree. His defenders are saying he has an equivalent.
The meaning of the word equivalent means the same
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by chukwuibuipob: 10:41am On Oct 18, 2021
KayCee92:

O boy, my father mentality na die. Omo. So, people still think like this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Shuts Down All Unity Schools In Abuja Over Security Threats / The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of / Unilag Releases 2018/2019 Admission Cut-off (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.