Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,216 members, 7,811,598 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria (26160 Views)

List Of Europeans University That Offers Free Master And Phd Degree / Say No to JAMB!!! Get Bsc/MSC/PHD degree from Lincoln university USA here in Nig / Where Is Yemi Osinbajo's Phd Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by houseontherock: 10:44am On Oct 18, 2021
undecided
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by chukwuibuipob: 10:45am On Oct 18, 2021
sad
excel101:
Bros i beg ehn, try dey visit crime section, because na there your mates dey. Its just that na there fit you. No hurt feelings.
listen up,it is not everything u put up for public consumption.See how this and dat are confusing the OP more.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Unigrad: 10:45am On Oct 18, 2021
Yemosexy:
Hello nairalanders, I want to know the cost of running a PhD degree program in Nigeria Federal and State Universities as I'm considering taking up this challenge but I need this information.

Those who are currently running this program and those who've completed theirs, your contributions is very much needed, mostly for UNILAG.
It depends on the department and project works you are doing.
Like in Medical Laboratory Science, you can spend 3-4m.

MOD kindly move to frontpage please to get more contributions.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Lamasta(m): 10:46am On Oct 18, 2021
AcetylLily:
It’s an expensive thing to venture in honestly

Research work is not something you rush and also you pay school fees year in year out whether you achieved something that year or not; coupled with the strike.

Started mine since 2015; done with my coursework but the project I was stucked with it; Infact I never went back to Idiaraba again.

Even if I decide to go back; all those years I was absent; I will pay the school fees for those years.

Honestly now; am having a re think and looking for a better opportunity.
Why not try and give it all it takes to complete the research and have this inner peace that you finished what you started.,May God see you through

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by CaptainMitch: 10:48am On Oct 18, 2021
JohnPaul my guy
WarAgainstBegga:
I never write Jamb yet...this is not for me
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by excel101(m): 10:54am On Oct 18, 2021
chukwuibuipob:
sadlisten up,it is not everything u put up for public consumption.See how this and dat are confusing the OP more.
There's nothing wrong in what he did. Probably his intention, is to get advise for the most flexible. Moreover, everyone's identity here is private.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by emdis: 10:57am On Oct 18, 2021
At ATBU tuition is 315k for the 3 sessions.. I have a receipt with me

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by acume: 11:00am On Oct 18, 2021
This is a good question for intending PhD students, let me State clearly based on experience in state University, taking an average of 4years considering strike, this depends on department

School fees. 1million
Text book 120k
Internet download 100k
Laptop 150k
Fueling/Tp 200k
Assignment/Thesis 600k
Seminar 300k
Defence 500k
Others 300k
Total N3,270,000

It will definitely be cheaper in federal school

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Safyqueen: 11:04am On Oct 18, 2021
[quote author=dyera post=106836779]My brother no be by PhD. Buhari no get SSCE talkless Bsc or Phd, yet he don rule the country for 8 years. Meaning, you can reach any level with just SSCE or Bsc. You only need to apply wisdom to the acquired knowledge. So no kill yourself if your money no reach to do PhD.[/
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Safyqueen: 11:04am On Oct 18, 2021
dyera:
My brother no be by PhD. Buhari no get SSCE talkless Bsc or Phd, yet he don rule the country for 8 years. Meaning, you can reach any level with just SSCE or Bsc. You only need to apply wisdom to the acquired knowledge. So no kill yourself if your money no reach to do PhD.

So truly speaking, we still have this kind of zombie in this country who believe Buhari has no WAEC results. Kai, media propaganda has really dealt with some people's brain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by edoairways: 11:10am On Oct 18, 2021
acume:
This is a good question for intending PhD students, let me State clearly based on experience in state University, taking an average of 4years considering strike, this depends on department

School fees. 1million
Text book 120k
Internet download 100k
Laptop 150k
Fueling/Tp 200k
Assignment/Thesis 600k
Seminar 300k
Defence 500k
Others 300k
Total N3,270,000

It might be cheap but the probability of finishing in the stipulated time is slime
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by WarAgainstBegga: 11:21am On Oct 18, 2021
CaptainMitch:
JohnPaul my guy

grin
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Spherical77(m): 11:22am On Oct 18, 2021
Rocktation:

Thank you!
It is an abomination in my family to even pay for masters abroad sef, not to speak of PhD and then in Nigeria for that matter. If beta GRE score or supervisor too hard you to get, just manage get partial funding, then come over and find TA or RA to complete the program...Otherwise, remove our surname from your name forever and ever.
Interesting

Meaning you must have graduated with a good result in your first degree to propel you for a full/partial funding

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by NoSentiment: 11:28am On Oct 18, 2021
There is no point in a Nigerian doing a PhD because after u are done only universities recognize that and reward u with a paltry N 140,000 per month.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by eddie7: 11:31am On Oct 18, 2021
Lots of factors can determine how much this can be determined. These include and lot limited to
1. The institution
2. Country where institution is located
3. Supervisor(s)
4. Student's determination
5. School fees per school
6. Others

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Kcgeology: 11:37am On Oct 18, 2021
Lots of factors come into play. Sch fees alone in most sch in d southeast is 110k to 120k per session, multiplyd by d num of year u will spend, the earliest being 4years. Cost of research will also depend on ur research interest, ranging 4rm 600k and above. Keep like 60k for Schorlarly publications. Advantage being that u can commence d program with wteva little cash u hv and tk d program in ur stride. Disadvantage being disruption of academics wt strike., lack of quality lab for analysis. Lack of support 4rm govt thru grants.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by APCNig: 11:40am On Oct 18, 2021
dyera:
My brother no be by PhD. Buhari no get SSCE talkless Bsc or Phd, yet he don rule the country for 8 years. Meaning, you can reach any level with just SSCE or Bsc. You only need to apply wisdom to the acquired knowledge. So no kill yourself if your money no reach to do PhD.

Olodo. Why you dey find fellow mumus to join you. If you want to be a dullard like Buhari, then good luck.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by oshorstan(f): 11:45am On Oct 18, 2021
Edo University Uzairue, near Auchi , Edo state is 250K a session, and there is no ASUU strike wahala. You will graduate at the right time. Everything is in a copacetic condition.

If you're interested, kindly Google the school for everything.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Kingstanding: 11:51am On Oct 18, 2021
Jimoh7555:
Thank you Op for this question, I've been searching for the answer as well. I heard its between 250k - 400k in Federal and State Universities.
. If it's true with this amount,then I wouldn't argue again for being produce half baked PhD holders.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by madridsta007(m): 11:58am On Oct 18, 2021
Yemosexy:
Hello nairalanders, I want to know the cost of running a PhD degree program in Nigeria Federal and State Universities as I'm considering taking up this challenge but I need this information.

Those who are currently running this program and those who've completed theirs, your contributions is very much needed, mostly for UNILAG.

MOD kindly move to frontpage please to get more contributions.

Why dont you consider doing your PhD outside Nigeria?
You realise there are many (silent) opportunities, right?
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Cousin9999: 12:00pm On Oct 18, 2021
It's definitely wise to consider studying abroad where you'll be paid to do it. Furthermore, there will probably be a good paying job waiting for you in UK/US/CA.

Let us know what you decide to do.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by EhisChelsea1(m): 12:05pm On Oct 18, 2021
Jimoh7555:
Thank you Op for this question, I've been searching for the answer as well. I heard its between 250k - 400k in Federal and State Universities.

250k -450k for real? Not even enough to pay your school fees for a PhD program in the CHEAPEST Federal University. And school fees na the smallest and least wen u go pay for wen you Dey do your PhD program
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by EhisChelsea1(m): 12:10pm On Oct 18, 2021
Lamasta:

This is wrong especially if you're in the sciences the money you will spend on materials and analysis alone will topple this excluding the school fees self...

Even in the Arts, that money won’t go anywhere. Just one research work alone will gulp half of that money...and God help you if your school does course work. You will have to conduct research and publish same in a recognized journal in each course you are offering. Some schools or lecturers insist on impact factor journals and publishing in these internationally recognized journals, aside from being quality and rich, cost hundreds of dollars

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Cdosky(m): 12:12pm On Oct 18, 2021
NICE POINTS
calculator123:
Never pay for a Ph.D.

In countries like the USA, Canada, etc, you do your degree with a full tuition waiver, in return, you work as a teaching assistant or research assistant where you get paid a monthly stipend, enough to cater for your wellbeing and that of a loved one.

You receive the best of education with a chance of getting PR or even citizenship after school.

When you compare the above with the dilapidated state of our education in +234, the "god" behaviour of Professors/lectures alike, ASUU strike, non-availability of research grants, PHCH wahala, etc, you will agree with me that it's plain, undiluted, and crass idiocy to pay for a PhD in +234

If you can, do it overseas, you will be better for it.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Birminghamvirgo(m): 12:13pm On Oct 18, 2021
We are in the same shoes @Op... Kindly respond to your mail
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by onlyhope: 12:18pm On Oct 18, 2021
This does not factor in the costs of your bench work or research. If 'others' cover your house rent and feeding for the period. For example, someone very close to me needs between 3m-4m for his research alone in the life sciences.
acume:

School fees. 1million
Text book 120k
Internet download 100k
Laptop 150k
Fueling/Tp 200k
Assignment/Thesis 600k
Seminar 300k
Defence 500k
Others 300k
Total N3,270,000

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by KayCee92(m): 12:55pm On Oct 18, 2021
[quote author=chukwuibuipob post=106838318][/quote]

grin grin ur father also thinks like u ?grin grin
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by chukwuibuipob: 12:56pm On Oct 18, 2021
KayCee92:

grin grin my father also thinks like me ?grin grin
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by KayCee92(m): 1:05pm On Oct 18, 2021
chukwuibuipob:
sad Go to UNILAG and ask them.Stop announcing Urself to village pipu.Not everything we put outside for the world to feed their eye on.

Mugu grin
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by chukwuibuipob: 1:10pm On Oct 18, 2021
KayCee92:

My father is a Mugu grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Unilag Post Ume Cut Off / JSS 3 Exam Fees: Private Schools Parents Besiege Lagos Exam Board For Refund / Meet Emmanuel Tochukwu Edward , The Best Graduating Student At NIJ 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.