Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,618 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria (26254 Views)

List Of Europeans University That Offers Free Master And Phd Degree / Say No to JAMB!!! Get Bsc/MSC/PHD degree from Lincoln university USA here in Nig / Where Is Yemi Osinbajo's Phd Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Lamasta(m): 1:32pm On Oct 18, 2021
EhisChelsea1:

Even in the Arts, that money won’t go anywhere. Just one research work alone will gulp half of that money...and God help you if your school does course work. You will have to conduct research and publish same in a recognized journal in each course you are offering. Some schools or lecturers insist on impact factor journals and publishing in these internationally recognized journals, aside from being quality and rich, cost hundreds of dollars
On point....
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by samtol4(m): 2:04pm On Oct 18, 2021
Stellenbosch University in South Africa has funding for masters and Ph.D. Apply here http://www.sun.ac.za/english/maties/apply .Once you apply they will send you scholarship form
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by calculator123(m): 2:22pm On Oct 18, 2021
Rocktation:

Thank you!
It is an abomination in my family to even pay for masters abroad sef, not to speak of PhD and then in Nigeria for that matter. If beta GRE score or supervisor too hard you to get, just manage get partial funding, then come over and find TA or RA to complete the program...Otherwise, remove our surname from your name forever and ever.

grin
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Solatium(m): 2:40pm On Oct 18, 2021
kennethfranc:
More Grace. School nobi for everybody

cheesy grin
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Rocktation(f): 2:46pm On Oct 18, 2021
Spherical77:
Interesting

Meaning you must have graduated with a good result in your first degree to propel you for a full/partial funding

Not necessarily... There are so many schools in just the US alone before even reasoning others. You just have to research which one is combinable with the first degree. GRE/GMAT score kind of matters more. I knew someone with a strong 2:1 (4points) and 320 GRE that only got partial funding -prolly because of impatience. And I also know one that had a first cgpa of 2.8 and a GRE of 290 that got fully funded. Just research research research. Interestingly again, some courses are even given GRE waiver in some schools.

I didn't use to put mouth in all these kinds of mata before, but it really vexes me by the day, when I see people doing yama yama, just because they don't have access to quality information.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Indispensable85(m): 3:58pm On Oct 18, 2021
Government pay students to do PhD abroad.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Goodzinny: 4:22pm On Oct 18, 2021
You are very correct. Talking from experience. quote author=VeeVeeMyLuv post=106830702] wrong
School fees alone in some fed school is 200k!

The research for some science field going above 2m! [/quote]
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 4:50pm On Oct 18, 2021
NickD:

I did mine from Jan 2018-Jan 2020. That's why most universities have centers where strike doesn't apply to them. Although its expensive. Spent 1.3 Million on fees and another 1 million on research, then 80k on final defense fee.
Like which centre please do they have for masters
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by omoakin22: 4:56pm On Oct 18, 2021
Jefferyhi86:
After all this PhD program u will now be lobbying for driver's job at dangote refinery undecided
abi now use your head
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by NickD(m): 5:59pm On Oct 18, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Like which centre please do they have for masters
Yes they do. But it's mostly science and engineering courses on offer. What's your discipline?
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 6:37pm On Oct 18, 2021
NickD:

Yes they do. But it's mostly science and engineering courses on offer. What's your discipline?
Law
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 6:37pm On Oct 18, 2021
NickD:

I seriously want to do my masters but when I remember strike bro....
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by samtol4(m): 6:45pm On Oct 18, 2021
Hassanmaye:

I seriously want to do my masters but when I remember strike bro....
Why not try Usa or Germany or European countries? You will never regret it
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 6:51pm On Oct 18, 2021
samtol4:
Why not try Usa or Germany or European countries? You will never regret it
My funds no reach there, And to get scholarship there is a serious business, I have just 2m
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by samtol4(m): 6:52pm On Oct 18, 2021
COMMONWEALTH PHD SCHOLARSHIPS!

Commonwealth PhD Scholarships offer candidates from least developed countries and fragile States in the Commonwealth the opportunity to pursue full-time doctoral study at a UK university. The programme is funded by the UK government and is open to citizens and permanent residents of Commonwealth member countries.

Deadline: 01 Nov 2021.

Learn more and apply here:
https://cscuk.fcdo.gov.uk/scholarships/commonwealth-phd-scholarships-for-least-developed-countries-and-fragile-states/
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by samtol4(m): 6:55pm On Oct 18, 2021
Hassanmaye:

My funds no reach there, And to get scholarship there is a serious business, I have just 2m
My brother there are thousands of scholarships begging for people to take. Scholarships are competitive however people are getting it. You need to keep apply. More importantly , most Phd in Euorpe are paid a monthly stipend 750 to 1000 Euros. There are schools in Germany and Italy where you study free of charge and they pay you

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by samtol4(m): 7:23pm On Oct 18, 2021
Doing a Ph.D. in Nigeria is self-inflicted bondage

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Olude193: 8:10pm On Oct 18, 2021
Gamer999:
Roughly 1m.. Tuition, research, project inclusive

Project inclusive 1milion ke

Please if you science oriented... And u want to do something that's trending u will be spending more than that
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by NickD(m): 9:46pm On Oct 18, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Law
Definitely no center for that. Its the regular program. But then instead of procrastinating or not starting as a result of the fear element of strike, if the funds are available you can go ahead.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Enn214(m): 6:41am On Oct 19, 2021
500k to 5M depending on yr course
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Misternas89(m): 10:47am On Oct 19, 2021
AcetylLily:
It’s an expensive thing to venture in honestly

Research work is not something you rush and also you pay school fees year in year out whether you achieved something that year or not; coupled with the strike.

Started mine since 2015; done with my coursework but the project I was stucked with it; Infact I never went back to Idiaraba again.

Even if I decide to go back; all those years I was absent; I will pay the school fees for those years.

Honestly now; am having a re think and looking for a better opportunity.
Which school is that please if you don’t mind me asking? Course works stopped at MSc where I did mine at OAU, the same with Unilorin where I had my 1st degree. My first time seeing there’s still course works again at PhD level.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Misternas89(m): 11:01am On Oct 19, 2021
onlyhope:
This does not factor in the costs of your bench work or research. If 'others' cover your house rent and feeding for the period. For example, someone very close to me needs between 3m-4m for his research alone in the life sciences.
Bros abeg tell me that ur close person is not a Zoologist majoring in Molecular Biology and Genetics like me?? Chaii I wan die during my MSc research work, DNA analysis of honeybees. I spent nothing less than 900k-1m (only lab work oo aside school fees and other miscellaneous expenses). I no too like make I dey remember am sef sad angry

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:18am On Oct 19, 2021
Miste rnas89:

Which school is that please if you don’t mind me asking? Course works stopped at MSc where I did mine at OAU, the same with Unilorin where I had my 1st degree. My first time seeing there’s still course works again at PhD level.
grin grin grin
Honestly I find it amusing.

Really baffling.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Yemosexy: 2:07pm On Oct 19, 2021
Lamasta:

This is wrong especially if you're in the sciences the money you will spend on materials and analysis alone will topple this excluding the school fees self...

I'm actually studying in social science

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Yemosexy: 2:08pm On Oct 19, 2021
Elsueno:
Bros....I will be honest with you, if u can't do it in private university in Nigeria, then go abroad & do it.

Do not make the mistake of starting a PHd in a public university here. ASUU will go to strike almost every year, ur supervisor might even find it hard to check ur work, they will just be procrastinating for months something dat can be done in weeks.

I repeat do not do that, unless of course u are one of thier staffs, then the waste of time won't really matter as u won't be paying school fees.

Also, some public universities don't care, u will pay school fees every year, even if u weren't able to achieve anything for dat session even if it ain't ur fault

I actually can't afford studying abroad and in private Unis in Nigeria.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Yemosexy: 2:13pm On Oct 19, 2021
Luluakim:
Keep up to 700k for each session. Fees, writing of publishable papers in both local and international journals, Nigeria factor etc. In a nutshell, keep 2-3 million.

I'm interested in knowing the tuition fee per semester as it will be easier for me to pay this way. I'm also aware of other expenses such as publishing, survey etc but those will be sorted out as they show up.

Thank you for your contribution.
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Yemosexy: 2:16pm On Oct 19, 2021
salesbloo:
P.hD candidates are researchers ....which the op is displaying the opposite right now.

You're so wrong, this is a form knowledge seeking exercise. I've learnt one or two things from some intelligent contributions on this post already. This is another purpose of research.

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Yemosexy: 2:19pm On Oct 19, 2021
NickD:

I did mine from Jan 2018-Jan 2020. That's why most universities have centers where strike doesn't apply to them. Although its expensive. Spent 1.3 Million on fees and another 1 million on research, then 80k on final defense fee.

Thank you for this info.

Which school is that?
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Yemosexy: 2:21pm On Oct 19, 2021
hardbody:
Let me put it this way.

In fees i thought i will be paying 600k (200k per session for 3 year - Mphil to Phd)
It turned out I paid 150k as tuition for each semester of the Mphil (300k) - I was driving to Ibadan and staying in hotels at every trip (my choice though but i have not factored this cost in). So in 2 years i paid the 600k already
I recently got converted to proceed with my Phd, having passed all my courseworks (at about 70% per course) and the fees has now become 600k plus for session. I just paid.

Now the cost of research has also not been factored in. I travel, i have a research assistant, i say a lot of 'thank you' and all.

My rough estimate is that I might sink about N2m to get this sorted. You may do less or more depending on your choice school.

I hope this helps.

Which school are you conducting your research?
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Yemosexy: 2:24pm On Oct 19, 2021
[quote author=Unigrad post=106838478][/quote]

It's actually in social science, I think it should cost far less than pure science
Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by Yemosexy: 2:24pm On Oct 19, 2021
Lamasta:

Why not try and give it all it takes to complete the research and have this inner peace that you finished what you started.,May God see you through

Amen!!!

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Having Phd Degree In Nigeria by NickD(m): 2:25pm On Oct 19, 2021
Yemosexy:

Thank you for this info.

Which school is that?
University of Port Harcourt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat / Helicopter Drops Nigerian Law School's Exam Papers / Pictures Of Graduating University Of Abuja Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.