Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy - Pets (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy (42936 Views)

Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy / What's The Specie And Breed Of This Puppy? / Should I Kill This Puppy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 11:47am On Dec 25, 2021
Liodins:

Your vet no get parvo testing kits?
No mind am.
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 11:48am On Dec 25, 2021
Landmack:

Holiday pic of Jesse. This is what Jesse looks like..send this pic to ur dog,introduce him to ur dog. They’re now friends.
Jesse was adopted at 3weeks. We started with milk and yoghurt..then to pups canned meal...then to semo and soup...then to moimoi and rice etc pls don’t give Food with too much Pepper.
Your pup looks so good. I will work on the introductions immediately.

Thanks for the tip also.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by donshaddow(m): 12:35pm On Dec 25, 2021
So happy your dog survived the parvovirus.

TheLoanGuy:
Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

And for helping detect what was wrong with Rocky properly. His condition got worse on Tuesday and in fact I had given up, I was moved to tears, to think that I just met Rocky on Saturday.
His poo was watery and had traces of blood and it also vomitted like twice. I called the vet and he asked me to bring 20k to start treatment first and that we'll talk about the balance later, I just gave this vet guy 14k on Saturday. It became clear to me that this guy was out to extort me.

I decided to research here on Nairaland, searched for "puppy parvo, puppy parvovirus" on the search box. It brought out other people's experience and what they did to help their dogs/puppies get through it.

I came across a guy's post on Nairaland about his dog having parvo, someone dropped a 24 hours solution for curing a puppy/dog of parvo, I didn't believe it at first but what did I stand to lose? Maybe Rocky sha, but I was determined I wasn't going to give the vet that 20k.

So I followed the guy's guide (I tweaked it a bit, based on small public health knowledge that I have and one other person's guide) and Rocky's poo for the first time since I got it was solid yesterday night and it has stopped vomitting. His play activity is now x3 of what it used to be and appetite has skyrocketed.

So here's how I cured Rocky of Parvovirus

I got
Virest 400mg (Aciclovir) - according to the guide, it stops the DNA replication of the virus in it's body. I got it for N6,500.

Diastop - to prevent it from vomiting and stop the watery poo. Although, Almethazine injection was recommended for this but since I don't know how to inject the puppy and Rocky was still able to ingest, I opted for Diastop (I saw this on another thread). I got this for N400.

Multivitamin syrup - He recommended the one with Zinc but I wasn't able to get that.

ORS -

Syringes 5ml - I did not use the needle, just the syringe to administer the medication to rocky orally after mixing.

Zinc - since I couldn't get multivitamin with zinc.
I mixed two tablets of zinc with a 75cl mix of a sachet of ORS, which I administered orally through the syring to Rocky. Based on my little public health education, for little kids, when a child has diarrhea, zinc is advised to be added to it.

Hypo - to mop the whole floor in the house and then I restricted it to the room.

So the first day (night).
I administered 2ml of Diastop
Grinded 400mg of virest and mixed with 2ml of the multivitamin.
Gave it 5ml of ORS 3 times.

Then later in the night, I gave it egg, it didn't eat it until in the midnight while I was sleeping.

I repeated the medication again early in the morning about 12 hours later.

I researched about things that dogs can eat on Google while they're recovering from parvo, I saw chicken, I bought half kilo of chicken, removed the flesh,cut out a portion and boiled it without salt and gave Rocky to eat. He loved it.

He pooed about 5 mins later, it was a mixture of solid and watery poo with no traces of blood. It showed that there was progress, I was determined to see monitor what Rocky's next poo would be like, so I can know if I was truly making progress or not.

About 4-5 hours later, I boiled rice without salt also and mixed it with chicken. Because of the chicken it ate the rice also.

At night, I boiled chicken for it again and made egg for it, which I kept for it before going to bed, he didn't eat it, just sniffed and left. Around midnight, it ate it and about 5 mins later, it started pacing and crying to poo and when it eventually did, the poo was solid for the first time and energy came from nowhere, Rocky started playing with x3 energy.

I hope someone would find this useful in the future like I did. Thanks to God, the wonderful guys here akoniyong for his concern and advise and to Nairaland.

Here are the the thread links I used to find the solution:
https://www.nairaland.com/4617661/please-puppy-dying-parvo-virus#69464177

https://www.nairaland.com/4373838/murphy-boerboel-gustaf-german-shepherd#65475926
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 11:06pm On Dec 25, 2021
donshaddow:
So happy your dog survived the parvovirus.

Thank you so much.
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by cybriz82(m): 3:08pm On Dec 26, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:
Awww he’s cute. Don’t return him. You just have to train him. It’s like that the first few weeks or months after you get a new pup till they adjust to your training. Give him a little spank on the spot he poops inside the house then take him outside immediately for a walk. Reward him with a treat after he poops outside.

With time he will understand he is meant to do it outside not inside the house but you have to have time to walk him outside at least 3 times a day in that early stage.

This is what worked for my Lhasa apso even though he still gets stubborn once in a while and does it inside the house when I forget to take him out for long. But it’s not as bad as when he was a puppy.
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by cybriz82(m): 3:14pm On Dec 26, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:
Awww he’s cute. Don’t return him. You just have to train him. It’s like that the first few weeks or months after you get a new pup till they adjust to your training. Give him a little spank on the spot he poops inside the house then take him outside immediately for a walk. Reward him with a treat after he poops outside.

With time he will understand he is meant to do it outside not inside the house but you have to have time to walk him outside at least 3 times a day in that early stage.

This is what worked for my Lhasa apso even though he still gets stubborn once in a while and does it inside the house when I forget to take him out for long. But it’s not as bad as when he was a puppy.

Nice
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by akoniyong: 4:16pm On Dec 26, 2021
SIRKAY98:
Please i want to start a Dog business sir can you put me through?

drop ur digit lets chat
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Tweiker: 3:57am On Dec 27, 2021
@Khiaa

No need to respond.

https://www.nairaland.com/dominique

Hit the link above to send an email to that super mod via her profile.
She's a very considerate motherly lady.
Explain everything to her and drop this link below...

https://www.nairaland.com/khiaa.a

If you can't copy the link just drop the problematic moniker for her... Khiaa.a

Whatever you do be sure to remove the dot in-between the last a.a

The idiot is doing what he does when he creates new monikers... he crets many threads fast making it look legit. 48 hrs and he already has two topics up
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 8:25pm On Jan 10, 2022
Pictures of Rocky today.

He has gotten his anti-rabies shot from the vet.

I noticed that he's very anxious (scared) when he sees vehciles, keke or okada. In fact if he hears a loud sound, he runs away at first before checking what he is. We went for a walk today, although it's been a while, on siting vehicles coming, he'll refuse to move, I would have to pet him and rob his head to motivate him. And when he was walking, instead of walking fast or calmly like he does normally, he would want to run, I would have to grab his leash well. Maybe it's because we haven't done this in a a while.

He saw a local dog that came to challenge him today during our walk, I think he was amused, he showed no sign of aggression, although he first retreated before turning back to move closer to the dog.

Also, he chased (I think ran after would be best) a neighbor during the weekend, his leash got loose at the place he was chained, I am sure he was most likely running around the house when he met them at the gate, so they ran and he ran after them thinking they wanted to play. When Rocky sees anyone running, he usually thinks it is an invite to play, so he runs after them, he doesn't bite or bark.

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 9:12pm On Mar 26, 2022
Rocky earlier this week. His coat/fur has been changing, he's been having more gold/brown around his body.

4 Likes

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by brucewayne26: 3:58pm On Jun 16, 2022
It would be the wrong decision. Try to work harder with him! I also advise you to buy toys for the puppy. A toy for a dog is not a whim or an excess, but a really necessary item for any dog. It distracts the puppy from spoiling furniture and household items during the absence of people. With the help of toys, dogs develop their breed inclinations: they learn to hunt, guard, bite. And, finally, joint games with the dog are the development of contact, the formation of attachment of the puppy to the owner. To begin with, I advise you to purchase a Dog Rope Toy Set on https://www.doggietoys.deals/product/4-pack-rope-toy-set/.
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 5:01pm On Jun 16, 2022
brucewayne26:
It would be the wrong decision.
Yes, it'd have been. He'll be 10 months later this month.

Here are some of his recent pictures

1 Like

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 8:53pm On Nov 14, 2022
Rocky is already 1 year+. Here are some recent pictures.

I may need to update the title of this thread later.

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Frankicent(m): 2:41am On Nov 16, 2022
Work from home. Link me up bro.
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by taiwoodd: 1:44pm On Feb 12, 2023
nathanjnr:

Hello, Please share with me too. I really need those training tips for my dog.
Thanks in advance.

Pls help us with your number
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by kals4luv990(m): 3:48pm On Feb 15, 2023
For a mixed breed with a local dog
Sir your dog is beautiful

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 11:18am On Feb 16, 2023
kals4luv990:
For a mixed breed with a local dog
Sir your dog is beautiful
Thank you smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Guardian Dogs All Grown Now / Pictures Of Black Scorpion Eating A Cockroach In My Compound / Nigerian Man Eats From The Same Plate With A Hen (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.