Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,425 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? (52266 Views)

The Scary Truth About BMW Cars. / Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. / The 2018 BMW X4 Unveiled – Photos & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by OfficialDJ: 3:29pm On Oct 21, 2021
SmartyPants:

100%

I've yet to meet a car that can outrun my e46 (6 cylinders)
you stay in bushes obviously
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by OfficialDJ: 3:32pm On Oct 21, 2021
azpekuliar:
They can't give you 100,000 trouble-free miles... endless money pits.

na the cars wey Scotty Kilmer say make we use we go use smiley
so you're amongst the sheeps who follow that brain junkie kilmer
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 3:40pm On Oct 21, 2021
EternalBeing:
Simple answer: Fuel Consumption.
Bro this is lame, 2021 you are here limiting fuel consumption to a brand? and you want to talk in car section? seriously?
bro this was thrashed out in 2008

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 3:41pm On Oct 21, 2021
skj1377:

The reason is simple. 1) the car will be with the mechanic 90% of the time meaning if you don't have a spare car you will still be using public transport. 2) they Dont call it "Big Money Waste" for nothing. The car will drain you of money you could use to solve other problems in your life. 3) how many BMW do you see on Nigerian roads there for a Bmw mechanic will need to go hungry or change to other car brands on Nigerian roads this simply translates to, if you car stops say on you way to Abuja from lagos the nearby mechanics may not know how to locate the fuel pump or even the set of tools required to address the problem. Now imagine the cost to ship a mechanic from lagos to the location of the car and availability of spare parts. You may have to tow the car to lagos or Abuja
Old school of thought, these days the real Mechanics fix all cars, there is nothing like jap or American or European car, they fix all cars!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by SunmibareARC: 3:44pm On Oct 21, 2021
Holybwoy:

Why should mechanics now lie that their parts are expensive or that they break down easily..

Can I go for a BMW as my next car then?

Aren't bimmers strong and rugged?

I own a BMW E46.... powerful, safe etc... No matter the crash (not supernatural), your safety is guaranteed.... But, I need to get it to my brother in Ibadan (or he sends som1 to Lagos) to get it fixed... So, I'd suggest you rather buy what you can get fixed easily
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by mediclife1987(m): 3:44pm On Oct 21, 2021
Meotoka:
Many reply here have actually said enough but just a little thing to add. I was a fan of German cars, my first car was Golf 4 while my second was Passat 2007 model, both are smooth, lovely ride and very strong too but my conclusion is, we are not ripe to drive those cars in this type of environment like Nigeria. My worst experience concerning my Passat made me changed my mind to go for Japanese cars. I put my Passat on sale for almost 6 months in fact, I later sold it like begging the buyer for just 400k, I won’t want to go in to details. So I decided to buy Lexus Es330 but something happened and I later settled for Tokunbo EOD 2005, settling for the Honda was d best decision I ever took cuz I enjoyed d car so much that I hardly spend money on repairs. I travelled to Maiduguri with d car 4 times, Abuja and Kaduna I lost count and I came to Ibadan once. I used the car for almost 2 years and I sold it in less than 2 hours that I put it on sale. German cars are difficult to repair especially in the north where I reside but they are sweet on the road that I can guarantee. In fact, if German cars are to enjoy the same privilege that Japanese cars are enjoying in terms of parts and repairs, few pple will go for Japanese cuz in terms of safety, cool ride, stability and d rest I give it to German but they don’t have resale value and better mechanics. If u want to sleep well at night, my brother, go for Japanese cars. I rest my case.

Which year you buy the Toks eod 2005, and how much you buy am.

Shey na v4 or v6? Me sef like EOD, but that leg issue na my fear...

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by mediclife1987(m): 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2021
Marvieduke:
because demand for Japanese cars have flooded the market. An Average earner can't maintain BMW just like Benz too.

Abeg what salary range is average earner?

Shey 350k/month for Kaduna dey involved?
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by azpekuliar: 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2021
OfficialDJ:
so you're amongst the sheeps who follow that brain junkie kilmer

4m + of us can't be wrong. Can we? wink smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by SunmibareARC: 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
Holybwoy:

This one shook me to the liver ooo...

Quite eye opening! But a Benz is all of this and more..

What makes a Benzo better?

Cotton-Edge design.
If you appreciate good effort, you'd realize that designers at MB are something else
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by InvertedHammer: 3:51pm On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

They are throwing BMW away? which Junk yard bross? I own a newer version of BMW plastic is seen in all cars it hs become part of our crs to reduce weight. even range rovers have plastics so I am finding it difficult to understand your point here

/
Eg.

www.lkqpickyourpart.com

The rate of depreciation says it all. When it drives, it is heavenly. The cost of swapping out parts to keep it running is idiotic.
I won't be caught dead accepting one even as a gift.

/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 3:58pm On Oct 21, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/
Eg.

www.lkqpickyourpart.com

The rate of depreciation says it all. When it drives, it is heavenly. The cost of swapping out parts to keep it running is idiotic.
I won't be caught dead accepting one even as a gift.

/
so what materials do you recon to be used instead bearing in mind the Engineers know better than me n you wen it comes to durability
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by kunle75(m): 4:14pm On Oct 21, 2021
dadabashua1:
most German cars are complex for our mechanics to understand when compared to the Japanese counterparts,so its easier to fix an accord or corolla or civic or Camry than a Benz or bimmer to an average mechanic in Nigeria,then secondly the electrical set up of most German cars is also a pain in the a*s to our rewires here,like I've always said,I won't drive Japanese car if I'm outside Nigeria,but to save myself the stress I will pick the jap mobile when I de naija,so in summary no be say German cars no make sense o,just that our environment no favor dem..lol

Exactly what I was about saying, I always thought Japanese car are the best until I acquired my GLA 250 here but me too will rather drive my rx 330 Lexus when am in naija.
Most times our mechanics just stereotype without valid reasons.

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Oyerinde16(m): 4:56pm On Oct 21, 2021
One of the major reasons is fuel economy. Put 60 liters in Camry or corolla, it will take you from Abuja to Oyo state, with small left. You will need like 100 liters in BMW or Benz, to cover same distance.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by InvertedHammer: 5:16pm On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

so what materials do you recon to be used instead bearing in mind the Engineers know better than me n you wen it comes to durability
/
The engineers don't know any better in this case. They know what to do but the managers are looking at the bottomlines to maximize profit. How else can you justify putting plastic hoses running inside a V8 engine? They have to sell parts too. Parts division is the moneymaking division for auto dealers.

Durability and reliability are the least of their concerns. Luxury is the keyword.

/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 5:28pm On Oct 21, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/
The engineers don't know any better in this case. They know what to do but the managers are looking at the bottomlines to maximize profit. How else can you justify putting plastic hoses running inside a V8 engine? They have to sell parts too. Parts division is the moneymaking division for auto dealers.

Durability and reliability are the least of their concerns. Luxury is the keyword.

/
I dont think you are in the know when it comes to choice of materials used on specific application. When it comes to certain application plastic or rubber hoses are the best choice and date of replacement is issued. Vast majority is due to vibration and heat conductivity, In my Field which is fluid mechanics, vast majority of Hydraulic pips from metal pipes are 1,5 inches turns into silicon pipes which is what you are calling plastic pipes. You cannot put metal pipes there due to expansivity anyway let me stop there what do I even know!
PS, I asked you a simple question of what materials you think would have been better but you got no answer, for he who has much to criticise must at least have 50% solution to that which he criticises!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 5:29pm On Oct 21, 2021
Oyerinde16:
One of the major reasons is fuel economy. Put 60 liters in Camry or corolla, it will take you from Abuja to Oyo state, with small left. You will need like 100 liters in BMW or Benz, to cover same distance.
Bro you know nothing about car Engines if I ask you the Engine capacity of the Camry relative to the BMW you got no answer I bet!

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by SmartyPants(m): 5:44pm On Oct 21, 2021
OfficialDJ:
you stay in bushes obviously

Fix your grammar and stop troubling your mind with things that don't concern you.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by OfficialDJ: 5:46pm On Oct 21, 2021
SmartyPants:

Fix your grammar and stop troubling your mind with things that don't concern you.
it is 'doesn't concern you' ding bat
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Xbs1: 5:58pm On Oct 21, 2021
Oh
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by overboard(m): 6:02pm On Oct 21, 2021
MB, MB, MB… oh how sweet.

Just sold my E320 (2004) cause it was 4matic and left it on a spot for too long. But when it was going, it was going…

This is coming from someone wey don use Toyota, Geely and Nissan tire.

Please, what’s up with these Suzuki SUVs, are they any good?
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Marvieduke(f): 6:21pm On Oct 21, 2021
mediclife1987:

Abeg what salary range is average earner?

Shey 350k/month for Kaduna dey involved?

Of course.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by beejay85: 6:32pm On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

If you use the right oil grade you wont need to change your oil for nearly two years
Yeah I was told....but I barely travel long distance but I cover lots of mile within d Southwest so am cool with my normal AP engine oil which I change every 3 months...and d beast is doing very good
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by mediclife1987(m): 6:33pm On Oct 21, 2021
Marvieduke:

Of course.

Oh boy eh!

So wetin come be above average earner then?
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by 735i(m): 6:35pm On Oct 21, 2021
Oyerinde16:

I have used 40liters from Lagos to Enugu in a 3 series. Them no born your corolla well to do am.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by drakeskull(m): 6:43pm On Oct 21, 2021
Trust50:
My guy most of the comments above are personal opinions and not based on facts. I'm a proud owner of BMW 2014 model. BMW car parts are unbelievably cheap compared to Japanese car parts.
Fuel consumption ? You honestly have no problem. Do you know that complete engine of 2014 model of BMW E46 is currently #110.000.00 ? How much is tiny light Camry engine. I strongly recommend BMW car for you. All parts are available with good mechanics.

Tell them o. Remember when I had Honda accord, most parts are actually expensive it's BMW counterparts. They feel Japs are cheap cos of the fakes flooding the market

4 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 6:45pm On Oct 21, 2021
beejay85:

Yeah I was told....but I barely travel long distance but I cover lots of mile within d Southwest so am cool with my normal AP engine oil which I change every 3 months...and d beast is doing very good
Nah bro, you eventually will kill your Engine, you need to know the right weight of oil your car needs and maintain it with such, why do you think we drive cars in the west up to 15 years with no engine problems? you got the internet search your make and model and you will know the right weight, if it takes 6 litres prepare to spend N20k to buy oil if your Oil cost N7 to 10k you are using fake!
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 6:46pm On Oct 21, 2021
735i:

I have used 40liters from Lagos to Enugu in a 3 series. Them no born your corolla well to do am.
They dont know especially if you are using the 316
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by SmartyPants(m): 7:09pm On Oct 21, 2021
OfficialDJ:
it is 'doesn't concern you' ding bat

"things that doesn't concern you"?

You're joking right?

lmao.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by OfficialDJ: 7:19pm On Oct 21, 2021
SmartyPants:

"things that doesn't concern you"?

You're joking right?

lmao.

your username is a complete irony....

Stop spamming my mentions with your dim-witted replies.

I don't reply feather brains
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by InvertedHammer: 7:24pm On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

I dont think you are in the know when it comes to choice of materials used on specific application. When it comes to certain application plastic or rubber hoses are the best choice and date of replacement is issued. Vast majority is due to vibration and heat conductivity, In my Field which is fluid mechanics, vast majority of Hydraulic pips from metal pipes are 1,5 inches turns into silicon pipes which is what you are calling plastic pipes. You cannot put metal pipes there due to expansivity anyway let me stop there what do I even know!
PS, I asked you a simple question of what materials you think would have been better but you got no answer, for he who has much to criticise must at least have 50% solution to that which he criticises!
/

That's where you are wrong. If that's the case, why do they have recalls and then use aluminum aftermarket parts to fix the problems?
They could have used aluminum in the first place and prevent the problem. The only saving grace is that US is a highly litigious society--
consumers instituted class action lawsuits and the company was forced to fix it. Remarkably, when you want to purchase aftermarket parts, they have the aluminum part available as an upgrade. grin

Do you remember Boeing 787 max? It is a technological wonder until it killed hundreds of people in two related accidents because of the redesigned MCAS system. Are you saying Boeing engineers are not knowledgeable? There are many factors that go into manufacturing beyond engineering.

/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 7:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/

That's where you are wrong. If that's the case, why do they have recalls and then use aluminum aftermarket parts to fix the problems?
They could have used aluminum in the first place and prevent the problem. The only saving grace is that US is a highly litigious society--
consumers instituted class action lawsuits and the company was forced to fix it. Remarkably, when you want to purchase aftermarket parts, they have the aluminum part available as an upgrade. grin

Do you remember Boeing 787 max? It is a technological wonder until it killed hundreds of people in two related accidents because of the redesigned MCAS system. Are you saying Boeing engineers are not knowledgeable? There are many factors that go into manufacturing beyond engineering.

/
What part are you talking about that Aluminium was used to replace?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Another Nigerian Man Takes A Nap With His Car In The Middle Of Highway / When You Are A Car Owner Living In A Compound Full Of Little Kids / Bmw Unveils It’s Largest Suv, The 2019 Bmw X7 After 10 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.