Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,243 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? (52272 Views)

The Scary Truth About BMW Cars. / Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. / The 2018 BMW X4 Unveiled – Photos & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by troubleshooter: 11:19am On Oct 21, 2021
Bighead9:

I use mine mostly for my long journeys. By month end, I'll leave Owerri to Benin then Abuja, Jos, kaduna, Kano and back to Owerri. I do this with my BM ones in two to three months. But 8 years ago, mechanics and friends warned me not to buy this Car. Most of them have spent more in fixing their Cars while others have changed their Cars severally within this period.

you still do all these road journeys in this period? shocked shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 11:20am On Oct 21, 2021
Leemekzy:

BMW wahala no be here.

Speaking from experience. Used BMW X5 couple of years back. Electrical problem and the parts are expensive.
That was not an issue rather lack of taking the car to a good tech on your part was the issue.Most of us have a non start problem you call up a mechanic, the start fiddling with ur car fuses and trying all sort, some are even brave to bridge wires, That's is death to your car right there, 1st thing they should do is power your battery and plug in their laptops simple, if they do no such they are going to fry your car.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 11:20am On Oct 21, 2021
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 11:23am On Oct 21, 2021
Bobxin:

3 different sensors were changed on the engine and air filter, and that solved it. But I'm still not comfortable with the steering angle, which I have tried correcting with alignment guy
Alignment guy canot correct it,the angle sesor is round your steering inside the car, its an electroic device not mechanical so nothing to do with under your car and tie rod ends. You need a tech with dealer level laptop to plug it in.I have same issue wit my range but mine is slightly different cos it has a RHD one of which the car was converted to LHD so I need to change it.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by BJanta: 11:25am On Oct 21, 2021
You just confirmed the downside of BMW everybody is talking about : you need an engineer and the right parts. Can everybody afford the service of an engineer, or get the ' right ' parts ?

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by F117nighthawk: 11:26am On Oct 21, 2021
Absolute fact

quote author=dadabashua1 post=106905823]most German cars are complex for our mechanics to understand when compared to the Japanese counterparts,so its easier to fix an accord or corolla or civic or Camry than a Benz or bimmer to an average mechanic in Nigeria,then secondly the electrical set up of most German cars is also a pain in the a*s to our rewires here,like I've always said,I won't drive Japanese car if I'm outside Nigeria,but to save myself the stress I will pick the jap mobile when I de naija,so in summary no be say German cars no make sense o,just that our environment no favor dem..lol[/quote]
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 11:27am On Oct 21, 2021
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by udomma1005(m): 11:28am On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

ahah Oga why not go to Aba near you, even PH ikokwu get parts.There is a guy now developing Ikokwu on line, a new Ecomerce site,.I was going to Buy Varta battery, I looked for it everywhere no answer, I had to buy it from the Uk send to 9ja
My job description does not giv me the space to move around. The guy(Banker) based in Lagos who I bought the car off gave me the Ladipo connect, that was the only connect felt had credibility based on previous owner's recommendation. Their parts were cheap & okay just the mistake of facts the monkey tail caused.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 11:30am On Oct 21, 2021
udomma1005:

My job description does not giv me the space to move around. The guy(Banker) based in Lagos who I bought the car off gave me the Ladipo connect, that was the only connect felt had credibility based on previous owner's recommendation. Their parts were cheap & okay just the mistake of facts the monkey tail caused.
ahahahaah, I have passed fru ur end b4 one time, bad experience on the road, I lost two tyres, that una portion of East west road nor get joy.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by repent4christ: 11:32am On Oct 21, 2021
Solatium:

That is not true the value you place on your car will determine the buyer,i once list my 2010 Corrola for sale,it took me well over 2 months to sell it,not because is not sound,but because they fall short of my reserved Price.

A well maintained car will sell any day any time irrespective of the brand
And you think two months is long enough... If you wan sell BMW be prepared for a long thing..one year just starting... Hahaha
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 11:32am On Oct 21, 2021
F117nighthawk:
Absolute fact

quote author=dadabashua1 post=106905823]most German cars are complex for our mechanics to understand when compared to the Japanese counterparts,so its easier to fix an accord or corolla or civic or Camry than a Benz or bimmer to an average mechanic in Nigeria,then secondly the electrical set up of most German cars is also a pain in the a*s to our rewires here,like I've always said,I won't drive Japanese car if I'm outside Nigeria,but to save myself the stress I will pick the jap mobile when I de naija,so in summary no be say German cars no make sense o,just that our environment no favor dem..lol
Bro most people here talking about easy to fix toyota and honda cars are talking of 2005, 2012 cars, wait for those that own 2016 and 2018 toyota to come tell us its easy to fix then we are talking! cos the 2018 tech in the toyota are what the 2010 Bmers have

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by udomma1005(m): 11:32am On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

ahahahaah, I have passed fru ur end b4 one time, bad experience on the road, I lost two tyres, that una portion of East west road nor get joy.
Bro na visitor I dey Dia due to job description, we dey repair cars like say na kilode.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 11:33am On Oct 21, 2021
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by PowersthatBe: 11:34am On Oct 21, 2021
Meotoka:
Many reply here have actually said enough but just a little thing to add. I was a fan of German cars, my first car was Golf 4 while my second was Passat 2007 model, both are smooth, lovely ride and very strong too but my conclusion is, we are not ripe to drive those cars in this type of environment like Nigeria. My worst experience concerning my Passat made me changed my mind to go for Japanese cars. I put my Passat on sale for almost 6 months in fact, I later sold it like begging the buyer for just 400k, I won’t want to go in to details. So I decided to buy Lexus Es330 but something happened and I later settled for Tokunbo EOD 2005, settling for the Honda was d best decision I ever took cuz I enjoyed d car so much that I hardly spend money on repairs. I travelled to Maiduguri with d car 4 times, Abuja and Kaduna I lost count and I came to Ibadan once. I used the car for almost 2 years and I sold it in less than 2 hours that I put it on sale. German cars are difficult to repair especially in the north where I reside but they are sweet on the road that I can guarantee. In fact, if German cars are to enjoy the same privilege that Japanese cars are enjoying in terms of parts and repairs, few pple will go for Japanese cuz in terms of safety, cool ride, stability and d rest I give it to German but they don’t have resale value and better mechanics. If u want to sleep well at night, my brother, go for Japanese cars. I rest my case.

You have summarised everything I wanted to say without mincing words.

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 11:34am On Oct 21, 2021
Bobxin:

The codes have been cleared, and it never popped up again. I'm not just satisfied with the angle of the steering while driving, when it's straight, it still drift slightly to one side on a straight smooth road, don't know what that is.
Its the sensor, thats what it does,your steering is electronic
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Solatium(m): 11:35am On Oct 21, 2021
repent4christ:
And you think two months is long enough... If you wan sell BMW be prepared for a long thing..one year just starting... Hahaha

I said it earlier that the value you place on your vehicle will determine the buyer,if u are willing to accept a lower offer it will go in seconds, unfortunately you don't understand the comprehensive passage[b][/b]
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by F117nighthawk: 11:36am On Oct 21, 2021
Japanese cars are easier fix any day any time than German cars I have used different brands of German model cars from BMW, VW AND AUDI BRANDS for over 20yrs,their major problems are electrical issues,their technology is way beyond our local mechanics, right now I am done too with German cars because mechanics here Don chop me way too well enough.

quote author=erico2k2 post=106930849]
Bro most people here talking about easy to fix toyota and honda cars are talking of 2005, 2012 cars, wait for those that own 2016 and 2018 toyota to come tell us its easy to fix then we are talking! cos the 2018 tech in the toyota are what the 2010 Bmers have[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 11:38am On Oct 21, 2021
[quote author=erico2k2 post=106930908[/quote]
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Germi9: 11:38am On Oct 21, 2021
The day i saw a BMW on the highway swaving left and right wanting to somersault but never did,that was the day i respected that car’s balancing

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by McLizbae: 11:38am On Oct 21, 2021
[/b]enter one big pothole light don off for dashboard[b] Bros, can you make heaven like this grin grin
vertueptime:
The have complex electronic and electrical systems,
they are not Rugged,
enter one big pothole light don off for dashboard,
they are low profile with expensive low profile tyres that are ​not ment for Nigerian roads,

Need Special mechanics and elctrictians
Cost of parts are outrageous,na big man car,
Fuel consumption.
If it breaks down on the road it will take the grace of God before you can even push it to the shoulder,
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 11:38am On Oct 21, 2021
F117nighthawk:
Japanese cars are easier fix any day any time than German cars I have used different brands of German model cars from BMW, VW AND AUDI BRANDS for over 20yrs,their major problems are electrical issues,their technology is way beyond our local mechanics, right now I am done too with German cars because mechanics here Don chop me way too well enough.

quote author=erico2k2 post=106930849]
Bro most people here talking about easy to fix toyota and honda cars are talking of 2005, 2012 cars, wait for those that own 2016 and 2018 toyota to come tell us its easy to fix then we are talking! cos the 2018 tech in the toyota are what the 2010 Bmers have
Bross like I said, most of us talking Jap car are easy to fix drive the older jap cars, let anyone here with a 20018 toyota tell us they are easy to fix

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 11:39am On Oct 21, 2021
McLizbae:
[/b]enter one big pothole light don off for dashboard[b] Bros, can you make heaven like this grin grin
Bro leave that guy, 2021 he is talking fuel consumption that's lazy!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Trust50: 11:41am On Oct 21, 2021
My guy most of the comments above are personal opinions and not based on facts. I'm a proud owner of BMW 2014 model. BMW car parts are unbelievably cheap compared to Japanese car parts.
Fuel consumption ? You honestly have no problem. Do you know that complete engine of 2014 model of BMW E46 is currently #110.000.00 ? How much is tiny light Camry engine. I strongly recommend BMW car for you. All parts are available with good mechanics.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 11:44am On Oct 21, 2021
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by dotedote: 11:56am On Oct 21, 2021
I rebuke poverty in your life.

Na man wey no wan marry dey say all women na winch.

The Only Thing That'd Make One Prefer A Japanese To A German Automobile Is Poverty

vertueptime:
they are not Rugged,
they are low profile with expensive low profile tyres that are ​not ment for Nigerian roads,

Fuel consumption.
If it breaks down on the road it will take the grace of God before you can even push it to the shoulder,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by MubaraqAbba(m): 12:03pm On Oct 21, 2021
Someone should please help me with N500 to eat.
Fidelity Bank
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 12:03pm On Oct 21, 2021
dotedote:
I rebuke poverty in your life.

Na man wey no wan marry dey say all women na winch.

The Only Thing That'd Make One Prefer A Japanese To A German Automobile Is Poverty

Bro that's harsh though, I think brands are personal!

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 12:04pm On Oct 21, 2021
Trust50:
My guy most of the comments above are personal opinions and not based on facts. I'm a proud owner of BMW 2014 model. BMW car parts are unbelievably cheap compared to Japanese car parts.
Fuel consumption ? You honestly have no problem. Do you know that complete engine of 2014 model of BMW E46 is currently #110.000.00 ? How much is tiny light Camry engine. I strongly recommend BMW car for you. All parts are available with good mechanics.
They do not understand!
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 12:04pm On Oct 21, 2021
Germi9:
The day i saw a BMW on the highway swaving left and right wanting to somersault but never did,that was the day i respected that car’s balancing
The weight is spread evenly across it,
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 12:09pm On Oct 21, 2021
Im a proud owner of this bad guy here all day every day cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by flexyrule(m): 12:11pm On Oct 21, 2021
Bobxin:

It's not being able to afford it bro. It's about professional mechanics that can fix them, when you have to wait for like a month to import the parts, cuz they're not available here.
There are more than enough auto technicians to service your cars in Nigeria. The parts are very much available. The problem has always been affordability.

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Kollyman: 12:14pm On Oct 21, 2021
vertueptime:
they are not Rugged,

Fuel consumption.

I disagree with most your submissions particularly on BMW.

When you talk about the electrical and electronic aspect of the cars, it takes tech expert to handle some of them but as little as an ODB scanner could save you from the problems that a Nigeria mechanic has profiled for you. Also, there are lots of forums where BMW issues and remedies are discussed with do it yourself Option. Youtube is your friend when it comes to German vehicles.

Fuel consumption, German products are not as bad as people portrayed them. In fact, my 2004 E46-N42 engine saves more fuel than most Toyota products. 6k fuel from Lagos to Enugu.

Spare parts? Except the more recent models and buying a new parts, most BMW parts are pocket friendly compared to lots of Japanese products. Though it all depends on where and who you are buying from.

Hardly will you see a German products pack you on the road as most of the parts must have been giving you signs long before they stop working.

Above all, people who speaks bad of German products have never used them at any time.

I am a bimmer again and again.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Another Nigerian Man Takes A Nap With His Car In The Middle Of Highway / When You Are A Car Owner Living In A Compound Full Of Little Kids / Bmw Unveils It’s Largest Suv, The 2019 Bmw X7 After 10 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.