Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,470 members, 7,819,718 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms (36077 Views)

Pastor Elijah Chukwuebuka Caught With Human Head, Charms In His Church In Umunze / Prophet Paul Abam Caught Burying Charms In Someone's House In Cross River (Pics) / Pastor Caught With Charms In Wardrobe: I Am A Spiritual Man, Not A Native Doctor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by joyandfaith: 9:13pm On Oct 21, 2021
harmargedon:
it's not about the charms, it's about the Cutlass.

Cutlass is a farming tool. It can be used to cut wood.
Are u saying police officers should be arresting people for having knives?

1 Like

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by IamOrei(m): 9:14pm On Oct 21, 2021
Why was he carrying a cutlass ?
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by nextstep(m): 9:16pm On Oct 21, 2021
NaijaSatanlst:
So I just came online and I saw on the front page that an EndSARS protester was arrested for possessing charm and cutlass. This is not the first time the Nigerian Police Force has arrested someone for possession charms.

I just wanted to make this clear that in a country where there is supposed to be religious freedom, arresting someone for possessing charm is like arresting a Muslim for possession the Qur'an or a Christian for possessing the Bible.

If It was a Christian/Muslim that was arrested, people would have cried persecution/islamophobia. But now a traditional worshippers is carrying what He believes in and was arrested for it, y'all are real quiet. I'm sure some of you like are even happy with the arrest. undecided

Una good evening.

I doubt the guy is being arrested just for charm. But this is Naija, where having a smartphone or smart clothes can get you arrested.

1 Like

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by harmargedon: 9:19pm On Oct 21, 2021
joyandfaith:

now let me explain the law to you a bit. If I hold a kitchen knife in my hand, then I will not be arrested, but if the knife is found in my pocket, then I'll be arrested. Same thing applies to the Cutlass, you know truly within yourself the man wasn't going to farm or to cut wood, the manner at which he carries it tells a lot about his intentions, so he has no reason to carry a Cutlass around. I see people who move around with Cutlass but they are not arrested because they have reason to carry it around.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by jchioma: 9:22pm On Oct 21, 2021
NaijaSatanlst:
So I just came online and I saw on the front page that an EndSARS protester was arrested for possessing charm and cutlass. This is not the first time the Nigerian Police Force has arrested someone for possession charms.

I just wanted to make this clear that in a country where there is supposed to be religious freedom, arresting someone for possessing charm is like arresting a Muslim for possession the Qur'an or a Christian for possessing the Bible.

If It was a Christian/Muslim that was arrested, people would have cried persecution/islamophobia. But now a traditional worshippers is carrying what He believes in and was arrested for it, y'all are real quiet. I'm sure some of you like are even happy with the arrest. undecided

Una good evening.

I have no problem with the charm, but cutlass? Why nah? Are you going to war?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by nextstep(m): 9:25pm On Oct 21, 2021
Kolaboluv7:
cool

Charm no problem but why the cutlass mr op.?

Next thing... why a hoe or rake? And what is that pickaxe for. Are these tools also illegal now?

jchioma:
I have no problem with the charm, but cutlass? Why nah? Are you going to war?

How about going to farm? Or to clear grass on building site. Or to go and cut some palm fronds. Have we forgotten that many people work with cutlasses, knives, and other such tools?
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by maxito28: 9:31pm On Oct 21, 2021
My question is, why did he came with Cutlass? I think the guy has bad motive tongue
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Commentor: 9:32pm On Oct 21, 2021
ThinkWISELY:
So cutlass too na charm?,are these defenders suffering from acute gullibility or outright blindness??

grin grin grin

Me sef begin wonder.

How did they skip the machete?
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by MrWondah(m): 9:36pm On Oct 21, 2021
nextstep:

Next thing... why a hoe or rake? And what is that pickaxe for. Are these tools also illegal now?

joyandfaith:

Let's assume you are arguing for the sake of argument and not really unintelligent to know that a protest ground is not a farmland.

Oh need I mention that a gun is also a hunting tool?

2 Likes

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by dorox(m): 9:36pm On Oct 21, 2021
SSIPON:
You make a great point. Religious freedom should extend to everyone. But people like MaxInDHouse do not get that concept. grin
When has MaxInDHouse denied you your right to religious freedom? You should not conflate the fact that he doesn't agree with the religious practices of others as denying them their right to worship the way they want to.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Workch: 9:37pm On Oct 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
That's of their church doctrines and individual preferences. All of that has nothing to do with scripture or God. undecided
You are not making sense

2 Likes

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Workch: 9:38pm On Oct 21, 2021
shigishege:
What you should ask yourself is that can an ordinary Bible or Quran kill?? No!! Can a charm kill?? Yes. So anything that can kill or create bodily injuries to people are not permitted to be carried anyhow in public space.
Charm, Bible or Quran. None of them work.

All nonsense born out of fictions

2 Likes

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by FlipModeSquade(m): 9:40pm On Oct 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
That's of their church doctrines and individual preferences. All of that has nothing to do with scripture or God. undecided
It has nothing to do with the scripture or God?

But it has everything to do with the Biblical interpretation of the said denominations?

Who are you to say which Christian practices are the appropriate and which are not?

A Christian carries his own religious paraphernalia,a Muslim carries his own..

And somehow that of the Traditionalist is devilish and should be ridiculed and persecuted?

2 Likes

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by nextstep(m): 9:40pm On Oct 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
A Bible is lot a charm but simply a book. Unless you want the cops to go around arresting folks for having books, I suggest you give your reasoning there a thorough sweeping. undecided

As for the arresting of people carrying what you call charms, your anger should be directed at the Nigerian police and laws that enable such ridiculousness. undecided

Bibles are charms, or have enough significance to be considered one: people use it for swearing in officers, and have a general belief that holding a bible can ward off evil spirits. As in: hold the bible in front of you, or wave it as you pass by and you won't be harmed. Some turn to the bible if they wake up from a nightmare, with the latent hope that it will keep them safe. If that's not a charm, then I don't know what else is.

2 Likes

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by nextstep(m): 9:42pm On Oct 21, 2021
MrWondah:

Let's assume you are arguing for the sake of argument and not really unintelligent to know that a protest ground is not a farmland.

Oh need I mention that a gun is also a hunting tool?

Fair enough... it was a protest ground afterall. grin
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by JAWBONE(m): 9:51pm On Oct 21, 2021
I get your point but the problem is people who wear charms never do it for a good reason.

It's always used to perpetrate one evil or the other
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by jchioma: 9:56pm On Oct 21, 2021
nextstep:

How about going to farm? Or to clear grass on building site. Or to go and cut some palm fronds. Have we forgotten that many people work with cutlasses, knives, and other such tools?

These places you mentioned are very different from where the man was caught nah. Who goes to a protest ground with a cutlass, unless to cause wahala?

1 Like

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by einsteine(m): 10:02pm On Oct 21, 2021
harmargedon:
please where can I find it in our constitution?

Criminal code not constitution

Section 213 b of the Nigerian Criminal Code prohibits the possession of charms.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by einsteine(m): 10:02pm On Oct 21, 2021
clockwisereport:

Which section of the law is against possession of charms?

Section 213 b
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by nextstep(m): 10:03pm On Oct 21, 2021
jchioma:

These places you mentioned are very different from where the man was caught nah. Who goes to a protest ground with a cutlass, unless to cause wahala?

You're right, actually...

1 Like

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by SweetDipBenny(m): 10:07pm On Oct 21, 2021
D should arrest d native doctor too
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by OchukoisBlack(m): 10:07pm On Oct 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Rosaries and beads have nothing to do with the Bible or Jesus Christ. If a Christian chooses to wear such things as charms, then that choice is wholly that persons. undecided

Charms and machetes have nothing to do with traditional worship. If a traditionalist chooses to wear such things as rosaries, then that choice is wholly that person's.

2 Likes

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by REDshouse(m): 10:11pm On Oct 21, 2021
ThinkWISELY:
So cutlass too na charm?,are these defenders suffering from acute gullibility or outright blindness??

grin grin grin
so u mean farmers and herders with cutlasses should also be arrested...
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by pabio: 10:13pm On Oct 21, 2021
NaijaSatanlst:

Catholics wear rosaries and Methodists have special rituals called holy communion

Methodist don't do rituals talkless of using the adjective special. Holy communion is holy communion and not rituals.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Calitoscassius(m): 10:19pm On Oct 21, 2021
Nigeria is a shithole., soon they will be arrested for been a buddhist.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 11:22pm On Oct 21, 2021
miketayo:
Holy communion has everything to do with the scripture of God. Except its not a Christian God
Not in the way it is carried out in your churches, no it isn't. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 11:24pm On Oct 21, 2021
tollyboy5:

Even Jesus and the disciple had holy communion
Jesus and His disciples ate the Last supper ritual. Your "holy communions" are done for a different reason which does not recognize that which Jesus Christ calls for. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 11:25pm On Oct 21, 2021
Fr33born:
Oga reply according to the topic being discussed and stop posting what you don't know.
Honestly, I don't even understand the angle the guy is coming from. The are asking something else and he is answering another thing.
If you didn't understand you could save easily asked... anyways, the OP understood hence the reason he kept asking questions. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 11:26pm On Oct 21, 2021
Workch:
You are not making sense
Ofcourse it wouldn't make sense to you! undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 11:29pm On Oct 21, 2021
FlipModeSquade:
It has nothing to do with the scripture or God?

1. But it has everything to do with the Biblical interpretation of the said denominations?

2. Who are you to say which Christian practices are the appropriate and which are not?

3. A Christian carries his own religious paraphernalia,a Muslim carries his own..

4. And somehow that of the Traditionalist is devilish and should be ridiculed and persecuted?
1. Your interpretations are extrabiblical.

2. Jesus Christ is the Christ in Christianity. If Jesus Christ did not teach or command it, then it Is not of Christianity.

3. There are no religious paraphernalia taught of or approved by Jesus Christ, the one who some refer to as "the author and finished of the faith".

4. I didn't tell you any of that
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 11:32pm On Oct 21, 2021
nextstep:
Bibles are charms, or have enough significance to be considered one: people use it for swearing in officers, and have a general belief that holding a bible can ward off evil spirits. As in: hold the bible in front of you, or wave it as you pass by and you won't be harmed. Some turn to the bible if they wake up from a nightmare, with the latent hope that it will keep them safe. If that's not a charm, then I don't know what else is.
A Bible is not a charm nor is it a book of incantations so it is not a charm in the same way any other book out there is not considered a charm. undecided

You can pretty much do with the Bibke what you do to any other book out there - it is afterall nothing but paper and glue. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Xenophobic Attacks: Apostle Suleman To Airlift Nigerians From South Africa / 10 Things Christians Should Avoid In Church For Their Own Good. / 10 Pictures You Will Understand If You Dodged Going To Church As A Kid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.