Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,741 members, 7,831,367 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms (36087 Views)

Pastor Elijah Chukwuebuka Caught With Human Head, Charms In His Church In Umunze / Prophet Paul Abam Caught Burying Charms In Someone's House In Cross River (Pics) / Pastor Caught With Charms In Wardrobe: I Am A Spiritual Man, Not A Native Doctor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Cruziero75: 11:35pm On Oct 21, 2021
Hahahaha, I tell you.
Height of it all.
What!

Kobojunkie:
A Bible is lot a charm but simply a book. Unless you want the cops to go around arresting folks for having books, I suggest you give your reasoning there a thorough sweeping. undecided

As for the arresting of people carrying what you call charms, your anger should be directed at the Nigerian police and laws that enable such ridiculousness. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 11:35pm On Oct 21, 2021
OchukoisBlack:
Charms and machetes have nothing to do with traditional worship. If a traditionalist chooses to wear such things as rosaries, then that choice is wholly that person's.
Machetes are considered weapons so anyone carrying a weapon need not be surprised if arrested and questioned for it. Charms on the other hand, I am not against people carrying charms. It is your government in Nigeria that is against such things. If individuals want to worship them or use them for a fashion statement, that is there individual freedom. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Cruziero75: 11:41pm On Oct 21, 2021
Someone that wants to go and clear bush around his land near Lekki Toll Gate, with his armour to prevent snake bite is now been arrested.

On top what kwanu ; cheesy

ThinkWISELY:
So cutlass too na charm?,are these defenders suffering from acute gullibility or outright blindness??

grin grin grin
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by nextstep(m): 11:51pm On Oct 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
A Bible is not a charm nor is it a book of incantations so it is not a charm in the same way any other book out there is not considered a charm. undecided

You can pretty much do with the Bibke what you do to any other book out there - it is afterall nothing but paper and glue. undecided

Our lord's prayer is not an incantation? Or many other prayers and poems and letters. Or speaking in tongues? Is it because oyinbo said: "our prayers to our God is not incantation, but yours are"? Please... every religion either Abrahamic, Greek, Yoruba or Chinese have their beliefs (origin story and future hopes), their holy objects (charms, crosses, books, beads, waters, oils), their rituals (crossing of oneself, clasping and holding hands, casting and binding, baptisms/indoctrination) , and their incantations (sorry, prayers).

So if somebody believes that by holding the bible (or cross, or beads, handkerchief, olive oil) they are safe or empowered, I don't see how that's different from somebody holding a leather amulet (or wooden figurine, or beads, or palm oil) and using that to feel safe or empowered.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 12:07am On Oct 22, 2021
nextstep:
1. Our lord's prayer is not an incantation? Or many other prayers and poems and letters. Or speaking in tongues? Is it because oyinbo said: "our prayers to our God is not incantation, but yours are"?

2. Please... every religion either Abrahamic, Greek, Yoruba or Chinese have their beliefs (origin story and future hopes), their holy objects (charms, crosses, books, beads, waters, oils), their rituals (crossing of oneself, clasping and holding hands, casting and binding, baptisms/indoctrination) , and their incantations (sorry, prayers).

3. So if somebody believes that by holding the bible (or cross, or beads, handkerchief, olive oil) they are safe or empowered, I don't see how that's different from somebody holding a leather amulet (or wooden figurine, or beads, or palm oil) and using that to feel safe or empowered.
1. The Lord's prayer was never given to by Jesus Christ as a poem or an incantation. It too was instead issues as a command to be obeyed regularly by those who choose to be His followers. When Jesus Christ taught His followers How to pray , this in Matthew 6 vs 5 - 15, He made it abundantly clear that the Lord's prayer is the "How to Pray". And Prayer is meant as direct communication from His followers to there and Father in Heaven, not words said half-heartedly in regular ritual. undecided

2. There are no holy objects in Christianity, not according to Jesus Christ who never suggested any of the objects you have listed there are having any significance in His Kingdom. undecided

The eating of the last supper, though a ritual, is meant as an act to be carried out in obedience to law given explained by Jesus Christ in John 6 vs 25 - 45. and in Matthew 26 vs 28 - 30undecided

3. Beliefs and ideas individuals chose to have of objects do not impact the Truth of Christianity as given by Jesus Christ, the Christ in Christianity. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by joyandfaith: 12:25am On Oct 22, 2021
MrWondah:

Let's assume you are arguing for the sake of argument and not really unintelligent to know that a protest ground is not a farmland.

Oh need I mention that a gun is also a hunting tool?

Ak 47 is not a hunting gun. There are certain guns you cannot have licence to have as citizens. A hunter with charm should be able to pass through protest ground without being arrested by police.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by joyandfaith: 12:38am On Oct 22, 2021
harmargedon:
now let me explain the law to you a bit. If I hold a kitchen knife in my hand, then I will not be arrested, but if the knife is found in my pocket, then I'll be arrested. Same thing applies to the Cutlass, you know truly within yourself the man wasn't going to farm or to cut wood, the manner at which he carries it tells a lot about his intentions, so he has no reason to carry a Cutlass around. I see people who move around with Cutlass but they are not arrested because they have reason to carry it around.

If you are a lawyer, is that how you defend your clients?
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Funflipper: 12:49am On Oct 22, 2021
MrWondah:
While I understand your point on charms, you should know that the same person was arrested with a cutlass, which is a weapon.
The cutlass could be used to injure people or destroy properties

Cutlass is not a weapon but a tool which could be used as a weapon.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by tempest01(m): 12:54am On Oct 22, 2021
ThinkWISELY:
So cutlass too na charm?,are these defenders suffering from acute gullibility or outright blindness??

grin grin grin

How many Fulani herdsmen have been arrested for holding cutlasses?
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by litaninja(m): 1:36am On Oct 22, 2021
Love how you conveniently left out the cutlass in possession of an unidentified person at a heated protest scene.

NaijaSatanlst:
So I just came online and I saw on the front page that an EndSARS protester was arrested for possessing charm and cutlass. This is not the first time the Nigerian Police Force has arrested someone for possession charms.

I just wanted to make this clear that in a country where there is supposed to be religious freedom, arresting someone for possessing charm is like arresting a Muslim for possession the Qur'an or a Christian for possessing the Bible.

If It was a Christian/Muslim that was arrested, people would have cried persecution/islamophobia. But now a traditional worshippers is carrying what He believes in and was arrested for it, y'all are real quiet. I'm sure some of you like are even happy with the arrest. undecided

Una good evening.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by eefeem: 2:25am On Oct 22, 2021
In Nigeria, it is an offence to be in possession of a charm. It's against the law.
You do not dictate the law, you obey it.

PENALTY
Imprisonment for 5 years

See Section 213(b) of the Criminal Code Act.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 2:33am On Oct 22, 2021
NaijaSatanlst:
So I just came online and I saw on the front page that an EndSARS protester was arrested for possessing charm and cutlass. This is not the first time the Nigerian Police Force has arrested someone for possession charms. .
This is the law.... if you are really outraged, then direct your attack towards the right people. undecided
213. Criminal charms

Any person who(a) makes, sells or keeps for sale or for hire or reward, any fetish or charm which is pretended or reputed to possess power to protect burglars, robbers, thieves or other malefactors, or to aid or assist in any way in the perpetration of any burglary, housebreaking, robbery or theft, or in the perpetration of any offence whatsoever, or to prevent, hinder or delay the detection of or conviction for any offence whatsoever;

or (b) is found having in his possession without lawful and reasonable excuse (the proof of which excuse shall lie on such person) any such fetish or charm as aforesaid,is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for five years.
https://www.lawhub.com.ng/section-204-213-of-the-nigerian-criminal-code-act/
Notice the act also includes a makeshift definition of charms. undecided

1 Like

Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by NaijaSatanlst: 3:41am On Oct 22, 2021
litaninja:
Love how you conveniently left out the cutlass in possession of an unidentified person at a heated protest scene.

It's not illegal to carry cutlass in Nigeria.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by NaijaSatanlst: 3:42am On Oct 22, 2021
pabio:

Methodist don't do rituals talkless of using the adjective special. Holy communion is holy communion and not rituals.

In the eyes of the law/state, it should be treated on the same level as other religious rituals. No religion should be seen as "special".
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by miketayo(m): 3:43am On Oct 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Not in the way it is carried out in your churches, no it isn't. undecided

What way is it carried out, there is only one way like it is done in the scriptures. Which is exactly how it is done in d Catholic Church
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by NaijaSatanlst: 3:43am On Oct 22, 2021
harmargedon:
it's not about the charms, it's about the Cutlass.
Lmao.its for the charms bro.
Remember when the DSS detained a cat because they thought that Sunday Igboho turned into a cat?? Yes the police are really that superstitious.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by ultimateprof: 3:46am On Oct 22, 2021
How can a country employ an illiterate to enforce the law and you expect things to be alright?

Since vigilantee dey rescue police, na since that time I give up on Nigeria police.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 4:02am On Oct 22, 2021
miketayo:

What way is it carried out, there is only one way like it is done in the scriptures. Which is exactly how it is done in d Catholic Church
It is most definitely not done in the catholic church the way it was done in scripture. Carefully read Matthew 26 vs 25 -30 and then compare it to the ritual you have in your catholic establishments today. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 4:04am On Oct 22, 2021
ultimateprof:
How can a country employ an illiterate to enforce the law and you expect things to be alright?

Since vigilantee dey rescue police, na since that time I give up on Nigeria police.
You need to first understand your law to know that the 3nforcers are not entirely to blame. undecided

213. Criminal charms

Any person who(a) makes, sells or keeps for sale or for hire or reward, any fetish or charm which is pretended or reputed to possess power to protect burglars, robbers, thieves or other malefactors, or to aid or assist in any way in the perpetration of any burglary, housebreaking, robbery or theft, or in the perpetration of any offence whatsoever, or to prevent, hinder or delay the detection of or conviction for any offence whatsoever;

or (b) is found having in his possession without lawful and reasonable excuse (the proof of which excuse shall lie on such person) any such fetish or charm as aforesaid,is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for five years.
https://www.lawhub.com.ng/section-204-213-of-the-nigerian-criminal-code-act/
Notice the act also includes a makeshift definition of charms. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by thecommunist(m): 4:16am On Oct 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:
A Bible is not a charm but simply a book. Unless you want the cops to go around arresting folks for having books, I suggest you give your reasoning there a thorough sweeping. undecided

As for the arresting of people carrying what you call charms, your anger should be directed at the Nigerian police and laws that enable such ridiculousness. undecided
what of olive oil, anointed handkerchief, prayer mantle and candles? Just a question
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 4:31am On Oct 22, 2021
thecommunist:
what of olive oil, anointed handkerchief, prayer mantle and candles? Just a question
They have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity as taught you by Jesus Christ. undecided

All of these ideas, including your anointing, were imported mostly from Pagan religions and beliefs which have nothing to do with Jesus Christ's New Covenant. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by tollyboy5(m): 4:53am On Oct 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus and His disciples ate the Last supper ritual. Your "holy communions" are done for a different reason which does not recognize that which Jesus Christ calls for. undecided
You don't know what you're saying. Jesus said do this in rememberance of me.
Thats what all christian called holly communion, it was called last supper because that the last supper with the deciples , don't let English language confuse you.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by tollyboy5(m): 4:57am On Oct 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:
It is most definitely not done in the catholic church the way it was done in scripture. Carefully read Matthew 26 vs 25 -30 and then compare it to the ritual you have in your catholic establishments today. undecided
Many church do holy communion. Were you with Jesus 2000 years back to know the perfect way?
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by harmargedon: 5:08am On Oct 22, 2021
joyandfaith:

If you are a lawyer, is that how you defend your clients?
I'm not a lawyer bro, but if I were, It would be different.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by harmargedon: 5:09am On Oct 22, 2021
[quote author=einsteine post=106947420]

Criminal code not constitution

Section 213 b of the Nigerian Criminal Code prohibits the possession of charms.[/quote)
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 5:11am On Oct 22, 2021
tollyboy5:

You don't know what you're saying. Jesus said do this in rememberance of me.
Thats what all christian called holly communion, it was called last supper because that the last supper with the deciples , don't let English language confuse you.
Pay attention to what Jesus Christ in fact asks you to do in remembrance of Him in Matthew 26 vs 15 - 30 undecided
■There is nothing "holy" about that command except that which is made up in the minds of men. FYI, men are by default unholy, so also their thoughts undecided

■Your "holy communions" are done in ignorance of the meaning behind the mention the the New Agreement between God and man in the passage. You eat and drink without a clear understanding of what it is you do. undecided

■Even your churches, businesses built to the glory of men and their doctrines and traditions stand against the teachings of Jesus Christ. And what you do in your churches have absolutely nothing to do with Him - Matthew 15 vs1 - 14 undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by Kobojunkie: 5:13am On Oct 22, 2021
tollyboy5:

Many church do holy communion. Were you with Jesus 2000 years back to know the perfect way?
I don't need to have witnessed the original to understand the difference between what you do today in your churches and what Jesus Christ commanded of His followers. undecided
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by zedegit: 5:24am On Oct 22, 2021
NaijaSatanlst:
So I just came online and I saw on the front page that an EndSARS protester was arrested for possessing charm and cutlass. This is not the first time the Nigerian Police Force has arrested someone for possession charms.

I just wanted to make this clear that in a country where there is supposed to be religious freedom, arresting someone for possessing charm is like arresting a Muslim for possession the Qur'an or a Christian for possessing the Bible.

If It was a Christian/Muslim that was arrested, people would have cried persecution/islamophobia. But now a traditional worshippers is carrying what He believes in and was arrested for it, y'all are real quiet. I'm sure some of you like are even happy with the arrest. undecided

Una good evening.

Go back and read what you posted again more slowly.

He was holding cutlass which is considered a weapon. It seems you have not been robbed with a cutlass before? Do you know how many people were wounded and robbed during the last SARS protest?

That Alaye is not innocent, this I have seen.

NB: Nigerians are emotional when it comes to religion and very few would think this through without being emotionally derailed thus losing the larger picture.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by zedegit: 5:31am On Oct 22, 2021
ThinkWISELY:

grin grin grin

All of the above. That Alaye came to either cause trouble or rob. It was reported that thugs came during the last protest and were stabbing, cutting people but none of these "OH YES" members joining the wagon would remember it because Nigerian police is involved.

NB: Nigeria police could be wrong at times but not on this case.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by harmargedon: 5:45am On Oct 22, 2021
einsteine:

Criminal code not constitution

Section 213 b of the Nigerian Criminal Code prohibits the possession of charms.
2. The President or, as the case may be, the Governor of a State may by order prohibit the worship or invocation of any juju which may appear to him to involve or tend towards the commission of any crime or breach of peace ,or to spread of any infectious or contagious disease.” here is what the code says, it only points towards wrong usage and not charms in general. That's why it said "any" because juju as a whole are different from one another.
Re: No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms by dlox147(m): 6:10am On Oct 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:
That's of their church doctrines and individual preferences. All of that has nothing to do with scripture or God. undecided

I am guessing you are a Protestant/"Pentecostal"if yes, then it is safe to assume that you have books written by your GO/Pastor/Evangelist etc that serves as a guide to daily/monthly/yearly/seasonal prayers, oftentimes these books a loaded with personal beliefs of the writer and you may have treated these materials as Christian materials.
I won't also be shocked to find stickers of various inscriptions proclaiming different prayers that you may have also bought with the believe that it can add value to your spiritual life.
If the above is correct then can the above be characterized as Christian practices?
However the Rosary is a guide to a series of prayers, which is a collection of different Bible quotations including a recital of the only prayer the Lord Jesus Christ taught his disciples, same way you church may have arranged a series of prayer that come in succession too.
Try not condemn what you know little of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Prophetic Revelation On What Is Coming. That Was Revealed To Me By God / 10 Pictures You Will Understand If You Dodged Going To Church As A Kid / Xenophobic Attacks: Apostle Suleman To Airlift Nigerians From South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.