Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

How being "too religious" made me miss God's help - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How being "too religious" made me miss God's help (590 Views)

I Miss God. / Men Of God Help, I'm Dying Slowly / Nigerians Are Too Religious To Progress_Radio Presenter Michael Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How being "too religious" made me miss God's help by wahoom(m): 1:11pm On Oct 22, 2021
I just remembered an incident that happened to me years ago and I felt I should share it so we can all learn from it.

I am a believer and can be very religious atimes.

Some years back I was broke and had no cash at hand nor foodstuffs at home but i have a customer that I always collect foodstuff on credit to pay later.

However, that faithful Tuesday morning, my devotion was on a different level, I strongly felt the presence of God and tabled my "broke condition" to Him, and I felt a strong conviction in my spirit that help was coming. I know that feeling when it comes, I could almost touch it. I was 100% sure that God was sending help that morning though i didn't know how, so I started celebrating while i kept my phone open expecting the good news to come any moment.

Some few minutes after my prayers, my phone rang, it was Charles, a brother in my group in church that was calling and I was sure that was it.

After exchanging pleasantries, he posed the golden question "Bros, what's up with you, hope all is good?" and as a "good Christan" that I am, who has been taught to always declare "it is well" even in the well when all is not well in the name of positive confession, I quickly responded "all is well bro" and he probed further, " bro you can share with me if there's any issues, we are brothers in the Lord, are you sure all is well?" And I reassured him, "Bro Charles, all is very well".

So he ended the call, I know that God spoke to me and believe it MUST surely come to pass, so I was still very optimistic and expectant.
BTW, Bro Charles, has my account number because we have done transfers between us on several occasions.

I waited for a while, yet no alert or any form of help yet.

A few minutes later my phone rang again and lo and behold it was Charles again but this time his question was more direct "Bros, are you sure you are okay, have you eaten today?" and I responded "not yet bro". For the records I didn't even eat before going to bed the previous night because there was nothing at home.

He pushed further, "why haven't you eaten, are you fasting?" and I responded again with some assistance "all is well bro". So he hung up.

I was highly expectant and waited for alert or help to come by but nothing happened.

It was already about 6pm and i haven't even had breakfast and I wasn't even fasting.
So I began to loose patience and even started doubting who spoke to me. Could it truly be God or I was just imagining stuffs in my head.

To cut the long story short, I couldn't endure any more and had to give up.

I finally lost hope and had to go to my customer to buy food on credit before hunger go finish me.

God has lied or maybe I lied against God.

To prove that God is not a lair.

Fast forward Tuesday to Sunday after church service.

Bro Charles showed up and said " that Tuesday I called you, I felt the leading of the spirit to send you some money but I was ashamed to send you even if it was 2k because I didn't want to embarrass you that was why i was calling to be sure that you actually needed the money".

I felt bad about the whole episode and thought I would have just opened up to him and told him my exact condition rather than making unnecessary positive confession while I was dying in hunger.

The Lord used that experience to teach me some lessons:

1.It is not everytime that we need to be making positive confession sometimes you have to say it as it is.

2. Most importantly, it is not everytime that God speaks to us and we will expect it to just fall on us like a bag of cherry, we also have our part to play for God's word, prophecies and destinies to come to pass.

3. We can be praying for something even when the answer comes but because we are not sensitive enough we allow the answers pass us by.

A wise man once said that "Any prayer that has a 100% responsibility of performance placed on God to is an irresponsible prayer.

In conclusion, abeg who do we blame in the whole scenario.

1. God, for not convincing my friend enough to send me the money without calling me to make confirmations. After all, He's God and He can do all things and His word must surely come to pass.

2. Me, for not bet sensitive enough to open up to brother Charles and tell him my exact predicaments.

3. Bro Charles, for not acting fully in the Spirit by allowing his flesh to over take him to see before actiing.

MOD, please, move to the FP, let us learn.

1 Like

Re: How being "too religious" made me miss God's help by AdventHero: 1:14pm On Oct 22, 2021
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

One Lesson you can also learn from my response:

Surely, the word of God responds to the yearnings of our spirit and that was what impressed it in the heart of Bro. Charles to want to help you. However, when he extended a hand of help to you, you failed to read it as God giving an answer to your prayers, and TOOK UP SUBTLE PRIDE TO TAKE "POSITIVE DECLARATION OUT OF CONTEXT".

Even in the midst of FAITH, we must be HUMBLE. God works in mysterious ways and he surely does look the proud afar off.

"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time" - 1 Peter 5:6

2 Likes

Re: How being "too religious" made me miss God's help by reubenobi(m): 1:43pm On Oct 22, 2021
Nice.. May GOD strenghten or faith!
Re: How being "too religious" made me miss God's help by Olowogbo: 2:23pm On Oct 22, 2021
Theres big difference between exercising faith and hearing God because real faith is based on your obedience to His Word. You are the one that failed God by not discerning Gods move at your time of greatest need.

1 Like

Re: How being "too religious" made me miss God's help by wahoom(m): 2:34pm On Oct 22, 2021
Well, I didn't see it as pride because I have discussed stuffs far more embarrassing than that with Charles.

I just didn't want to interfare since I thought that God has already said it and it MUST come to pass with or without my action.

I will say it's more of ignorant rather than pride.

If felt that He that has started a thing will faithfully complete it.

Chai! Ignorance na disease o
AdventHero:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

One Lesson you can also learn from my response:

Surely, the word of God responds to the yearnings of our spirit and that was what impressed it in the heart of Bro. Charles to want to help you. However, when he extended a hand of help to you, you failed to read it as God giving an answer to your prayers, and TOOK UP SUBTLE PRIDE TO TAKE "POSITIVE DECLARATION OUT OF CONTEXT".

Even in the midst of FAITH, we must be HUMBLE. God works in mysterious ways and he surely does look the proud afar off.

"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time" - 1 Peter 5:6
Re: How being "too religious" made me miss God's help by AdventHero: 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2021
wahoom:
Well, I didn't see it as pride because I have discussed stuffs far more embarrassing than that with Charles.

I just didn't want to interfare since I thought that God has already said it and it MUST come to pass with or without my action.

I will say it's more of ignorant rather than pride.

If felt that He that has started a thing will faithfully complete it.

Chai! Ignorance na disease o

"Pride in this context" is setting a standard for God's answers to your prayer and turning down every other likeness that isn't up to your expectations.

(1) (Reply)

Throwback Pictures Of Pastor Odukoya And Late Wife On Their Wedding Day In 2010 / How Do You Handle This As A Christian? / What Does The Bible Say About The Role Of Women I.e Women Pastors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.