Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,876 members, 7,956,305 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:35 AM

Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits (105620 Views)

Fruits You Hate! / List Of The Most Expensive Fruits In The World / Eat Fruits In Empty Stomach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Osama10(m): 6:29pm On Jun 03, 2011
Nice thread. cool
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Amhatu(m): 6:35pm On Jun 03, 2011
Very good read.

Do not forget about the Nigerian sweet orange.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by lepasharon(f): 7:35pm On Jun 03, 2011
strawberries,bananas,cherries,beetroot are good for those Anemic ppl out there smiley
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by EgbeNak: 8:04pm On Jun 03, 2011
Great info here, am subscribing to thread.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by otokx(m): 8:18pm On Jun 03, 2011
Poster should do one about Banana.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by mamagee3(f): 8:34pm On Jun 03, 2011
Papaya

Pineapples

Mango

Cherry tongue
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by gr8me(f): 8:51pm On Jun 03, 2011
Thanks Doc, really helped me, I'm grateful, thanks.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by bunmita: 8:56pm On Jun 03, 2011
Lemon        
Lime  
Grapefruit
Avocado Pear
Tomato
These are the best fruits ever.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by lepasharon(f): 9:01pm On Jun 03, 2011
bunmita:

Lemon        
Lime  
Grapefruit
Avocado Pear
Tomato
These are the best fruits ever.

ewww!
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by redsun(m): 10:44pm On Jun 03, 2011
Paw-paw(papaya) is a highly priced and sort after fruit,a natural digestive enzyme,organically and commonly available in nigeria and people take them for granted,because they don't really understand their potency.

Tell them
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Sike(m): 11:10pm On Jun 03, 2011
WoW! What A Juicy Topic. . . thumbz up poster
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by dinggle: 12:59am On Jun 04, 2011
U don forget agbalumo, chei I remember those days in elementary.
agbalumo lacks all vitamins and will make u forget 1+1, I forgot my addition after eating agbalumo in pry 2, my left eye was just closing up involuntarily. wink
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by supereagle(m): 3:37am On Jun 04, 2011
Avoid processed fruits, they do more harm to your body than good. GO natural.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by ima1(f): 4:35am On Jun 04, 2011
Kidney Disorders: Water Melon contains a lot of potassium, which is very helpful in cleaning or washing off the toxic depositions in the kidneys. Moreover, it is helpful in reducing concentration of uric acid in the blood, thereby reducing the chances of kidney damages and formation of renal calculi in it. Added to these, being high in water content, it induces frequent urinating, which is again helpful for cleaning of kidneys. Also, the anti oxidants present ensures good health of kidneys for a long time.

this is silly advice, with kidney disorders you need to watch the potassium intake because it can cause heart problems and, people with kidney disorders are placed on fluid restriction because they tend to retain water and swell up, since the kidney cannot excrete enough water

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Nobody: 7:05am On Jun 04, 2011
mehn i miss the Oranges in Nigeria cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry, juicy and always fresh like a dime piece,

the oranges here are like a reason to buy Orange juice seriously. Their fruits are crap but the fruit juices are better, FDA is sold and paid for jor,
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Gboliwe: 7:11am On Jun 04, 2011
I've always hated watermelon but reading your article now, I cant wait to start eating esp as I understand it reduces blood pressure. Thank you Doc
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Limaoscar: 6:10pm On Jun 04, 2011
good job Doc. these are the sort of things that should be on NL not those vain, pastors bashing, tribe warring and ego masaging stuff i see on here daily. Please keep 'em coming.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by toboy: 8:21pm On Jun 04, 2011
merci, cool pour les info
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Btruth: 9:45pm On Jun 04, 2011
Great work Doc. thanks so much. We need more of people like you to educate the lot of Nigeria.

Carry on Doc. we are keeping up with the info.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Millionjazz(m): 2:51am On Jun 05, 2011
Nice info n help doc!
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Nobody: 3:50am On Jun 05, 2011
weed is my favorite fruit in Ngeria.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 4:49am On Jun 05, 2011
Hi Everybody, How are you dude doing today, hope you all are doing great sure you do.
Anyway i cant stop smiling and laughing when i go through your replies. I really want to give God almighty all the Glory for using common me to be of help to you all in this forum.
First of all i will like to reply some of my friends here who want me to answer some question that they ask.

(1) @Molola, i did not get you right. Do you want to loose weight or gain weight?

(2) @cchioke, my email is jonathanosward@yahoo.com

(3) @cogitoergo, i did not get you right, Do you want a combination to boost your sexual performance or better still send me a mail of what u wanted. send email to jonathanosward@yahoo.com.

(4) @ dinggle, Thanks for making me laugh too hard, you are very funny, thanks man.

Yes lets get back to business, so today am going to unveil two fruits. So lets get started here and Now.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 4:53am On Jun 05, 2011
MANGOES
Anti cancer: The phenols in mangoes, such as quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic acid and methylgallat, as well as the abundant enzymes, have cancer-preventing capacities. Mango is also high in a soluble dietary fiber known as pectin. Scientist have identified a strong link between eating lots of fiber and a lower risk of cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. A cup of sliced mangoes (around 165 gram) contain 76 percent of the needed daily value of vitamin C, a potent antioxidant which helps protect cells from free radical damage and reduces risk of cancer.
Eye health: One cup of sliced mangoes supplies 25 percent of the needed daily value of vitamin A, which promotes good eyesight. Eating mangoes regularly prevents night blindness, refractive errors, dryness of the eyes, softening of the cornea, itching and burning in the eyes.
Helps in digestion: Mangoes contain digestive enzymes that help break down proteins and aid digestion. It is also valuable to combat acidity and poor digestion because of an enzyme found in the fruit which soothes the stomach. Due to the high amounts of fiber found in mango, it can be a helpful in keeping you regular, thereby helping or preventing constipation. Eating one or two small tender mangoes in which the seed is not fully formed with salt and honey is found to be very effective medicine for summer diarrhoea, dysentery, piles, morning sickness, chronic dyspepsia, indigestion and constipation.

Benefits to skin: Mango is effective in relieving clogged pores of the skin. What this means is that people who suffer from acne, which is caused by clogged pores, will benefit from mango. Just remove the mango pulp and apply it on your skin for about 10 minutes before washing it. Eating mango regularly makes the complexion fair and the skin soft and shining.
Helps in diabetes: Mango leaves help normalize insulin levels in the blood. Boil a few mango leaves in water and allow it to saturate through the night. Consume the filtered decoction in the morning for diabetic home remedy. The glycemic index of mango is low, ranging between 41-60. So, mango does not have any significant effect in increasing blood sugar levels.
For better sex: The Vitamin E that is abundantly present in mangoes helps to regulate sex hormones and boosts sex drive.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 4:56am On Jun 05, 2011
Beneficial for anemia: Mangoes are beneficial for pregnant women and individuals suffering from anemia because of their iron content. Also, vitamin C in the mango enhances the absorption of iron from vegetable food like rice. Generally women after menopause become weak and they should take mangoes and other fruits rich in iron.
Boost memory: Mangoes are useful to children who lack concentration in studies as it contains Glutamine acid which is good to boost memory and keep cells active.
Avoid heat stroke: Unripe mangoes, a rich source of pectin, when steamed and juiced with cumin (jeera), rock salt and sugar, provide an excellent remedy for heat stroke and heat exhaustion in summer.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 4:58am On Jun 05, 2011
Weight gain: Mangoes can be beneficial for people wanting to gain weight. A 100 gram of mango contains about 75 calories. Also, raw mangoes contain starch which get converted into sugar as the fruit ripens. So ripe and sweet mangoes when consumed with milk (rich in protein) can be very helpful in weight gain.
Nutritional Value of Mango
One medium sized mango comprises of:
Calories – 107
Protein – 0.84 g
Carbohydrate – 28 g
Total Fat – 0.45 g
Fiber – 3 g
Vitamin A – 6425 IU
Vitamin C – 45.7mg
Magnesium – 18 mg
Potassium – 300 mg
Calcium – 20 g
Cholesterol – 0 g
Saturated fat – 0 g
Mango is High in Iron
Mango is a fruit that is very high in iron. Women, especially, need to increase the amount of iron that they consume due to the large amounts that they lose during menstruation. Pregnant women also need to think about increasing the amount of iron that they consume. People with an iron deficiency, which is called anemia, would also benefit from the high amount of iron offered in mango.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 5:01am On Jun 05, 2011
And lastly about MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMango,

Mango May Get Rid of Acne
It is believed that mango may help unclog pores. What this means is that people who suffer from acne, which is caused by clogged pores, will benefit from mango. All that you need to do in order to take advantage of this property of mango is apply thin slices to the area of skin that you want to clear up. Leave the mango there for about ten minutes before rinsing the skin with warm water.
Mango is an Anti-Inflammatory Fruit
One of the main benefits of mango is that it offers anti-inflammatory properties. This is known to help the body in a number of different ways. It can reduce pain from conditions such as arthritis. Mango is also known to relieve symptoms from asthma due to the anti-inflammatory benefits that it has to offer.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 5:04am On Jun 05, 2011
next fruit is whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt? can someone guessssssssssssssssssssssssss=?
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 5:06am On Jun 05, 2011
PINEAPPLE
Pineapple is loaded with Vitamins and Minerals: The obvious benefits of pineapple are all the vitamins and minerals the fruit is loaded with. Its nutrients include calcium, potassium, fiber, and vitamin C. In addition it is low in fat and cholesterol.
It Strengthens weak bones: One of the benefits of pineapple is that it helps to build healthy bones. Pineapples are rich in manganese, a trace mineral that is needed for your body to build bone and connective tissues. Just one cup of pineapple provides 73% of the daily recommended amount of manganese. The benefits of pineapple can effect the growth of bones in young people and the strengthening of bones in older people.

It is Good for Gums: Your gums are very important to keep healthy. The gums hold the teeth in place and your teeth would be in bad condition if you have unhealthy gums. By eating pineapple, you are strengthening your gums to make it through the hard years later.
It Prevents Macular Degeneration: Pineapples contain a lot of beta-carotene that is good for the eyes and for your vision. Studies show that eating three or more helpings of pineapple a day may lower your chance of getting age-related macular degeneration, the main cause of vision loss in older folks.
IT Helps Arthritis (diseases of the joints): Bromelain is also considered an effective anti-inflammatory. Regular ingestion of at least one half cup of fresh pineapple daily is purported to relieve painful joints common to osteoarthritis. It produces mild pain relief. In Germany, bromelain is approved as a post-injury medication because it is thought to reduce inflammation and swelling.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 5:08am On Jun 05, 2011
Coughs and Colds: While many people often take extra vitamin C or drink extra orange juice when they have a cold, few consider eating pineapple. The benefits of pineapple when you have a cold or cough are the same as the benefits of orange juice, but there is an additional benefit of pineapple. Bromelain, which is found in pineapples, has been found to help suppress coughs and loosen mucus.
Digestion: The bromelain found in pineapples aids in digestion. Eating one slice of pineapple after each meal will reduce gas, bloating, nausea, constipation and the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Fresh pineapple juice also aids in removing intestinal worms.
Sinusitis and Bronchitis: Bromelain has been shown helpful for upper respiratory tract infections such as Sinusitis and Bronchitis. Bromelain helps to reducing nasal inflammation and break up the mucus in the nasal, sinus and respiratory area.
Blood Clots: Pineapples can help reduce the risk of blood clots due to the bromelain present in the fruit and thereby preventsing heart problems.
When you eat pineapples, you have a better chance at having a healthier life.
Nutritive Value : Per 100 gm.
Vitamin A : 130 I.U.
Vitamin C : 24 mg.
Calcium : 16 mg.
Phosphorus : 11 mg.
Potassium : 150 mg.
Carbohydrates : 13.7 gm.
Calories : 52
Pineapple is also Beneficial in the following condition :
It is regulates the gland and found to be helpful in cases of goiter(enlargement of the thyroid gland).
Dyspepsia (chronic digestive disturbance).
Bronchitis (inflammation of the bronchial tubes.)
High Blood pressure.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 6:31am On Jun 05, 2011
Fresh pineapple juice is also used in removing intestinal worms.
Fresh pineapple juice has been used to combat diphtheria and other infections of the throat or other parts of the body.
Prevents nausea (includes morning sickness and motion sickness), Take 230 cc. of pineapple juice or papaya juice.
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by Docosward(m): 2:22pm On Jun 05, 2011
So i think we are done with pineapple at this junction and we still have six fruits left.

Stay tunes for the next fruit smiley smiley smiley
Re: Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits by dominique(f): 2:39pm On Jun 05, 2011
aight, we'll be waiting smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Hunter Kills Many Animals, Trends Online (Photos) / Went To Hilda Bacis Restaurant To Eat. Pictures And Prices And Review Included / Human-sized Catfish Caught In Niger Delta (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.