Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,422 members, 7,861,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:09 AM

Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) (72299 Views)

R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 1:04pm On Jul 30, 2011
coogar:

valencia will sell to the highest bidder. there are in dire straits. they don't give a damn about the morals or the ethics surrounding a transfer. they will sell to the highest bidder. what the player wants means squat in this instance. refer to tevez's move to corinthians that was blocked by man city(even after corinthians matched city's offer) moreover, the agents don't care as well - whatever brings more food to their table is what they will push for. . . . . .

With the proviso that the player agrees personal terms. Eldee is right on that count - once the release clause fee is met, the club will end up dealing with a side that Mata agrees terms with.

I would be surprised if Spurs indeed made that £22m bid, Mata is the least of their problems considering their collection of misfiring strikers.

From trying to sign strikers to chasing yet another attacking midfielder would be a bit of madness for Harry, but then again, he hasn't always made logical decisions.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by coogar: 1:12pm On Jul 30, 2011
debosky:

With the proviso that the player agrees personal terms. Eldee is right on that count - once the release clause fee is met, the club will end up dealing with a side that Mata agrees terms with.

until then. . . .

I would be surprised if Spurs indeed made that £22m bid, Mata is the least of their problems considering their collection of misfiring strikers.

luka modric's replacement in my opinion.

From trying to sign strikers to chasing yet another attacking midfielder would be a bit of madness for Harry, but then again, he hasn't always made logical decisions.

he's changed gomez. . . . .bale improved under his tutelage, he got van der vaart. . .one of the signings of last season. . . .
personally, i think redknapp has done so much more than the last 4 managers at spurs. he's the first manager to take them champions league and if they had not met real madrid, they would have gotten to the semis. . . .
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 1:24pm On Jul 30, 2011
coogar:

luka modric's replacement in my opinion.

Makes little sense to replace a pass orchestrator like Modric for a cutting instrument like Mata. . . .doesn't add up.

he's changed gomez. . . . .bale improved under his tutelage, he got van der vaart. . .one of the signings of last season. . . .
personally, i think redknapp has done so much more than the last 4 managers at spurs. he's the first manager to take them champions league and if they had not met real madrid, they would have gotten to the semis. . . .

VdV yes, but Gomes? He changed him into an excellent bungler. grin Bale is simply delivering on his outstanding talent.

He's better than most of the recent Spurs managers, but Martin Jol is far better than him - he was given far less cash to splash out and as on the verge of making CL footie when he was kicked out.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by eldee(m): 1:33pm On Jul 30, 2011
coogar:

don't shift the goalpost. . . . .your first comment was coogar's comment is weird.
now, it's the report that is weird.

I didn't even read the report before, it actually says Spurs are paying €25m, €4 above the relegation release clause??
Now, no where in the report does it say they tabled a €21 mil bid. So you're the weird one.
Anyone that follows transfers knows what I'm talking about.

valencia will sell to the highest bidder. there are in dire straits. they don't give a damn about the morals or the ethics surrounding a transfer. they will sell to the highest bidder. what the player wants means squat in this instance. refer to tevez's move to corinthians that was blocked by man city(even after corinthians matched city's offer) moreover, the agents don't care as well - whatever brings more food to their table is what they will push for. . . . . .

Valencia do not get to choose if the release clause is met. It's not ethics, it's law.
In Spain, every player's contract, even Messi has a release clause.
Messi's is £225m, even if Wikki Tourists presents £225mil for Messi right now, they cannot reject it, it's simple. . . the player decides if he wants to go or not. . . Barcelona has no say in that, you don't choose when you want to obey contract law.

Again, if Spurs offered €25m and Arsenal offered €21m . . . Juan Mata decides where he wants to go, it's the law.
You misread the article, the keyword there is what you're missing. . .and I'll let you come read it and come back to tell me.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by coogar: 1:34pm On Jul 30, 2011
debosky:

Makes little sense to replace a pass orchestrator like Modric for a cutting instrument like Mata. . . .doesn't add up.

van der vaart will do modric's job. . . .mata will do van der vaart's job and harry will smile to the bank.

VdV yes, but Gomes? He changed him into an excellent bungler. grin Bale is simply delivering on his outstanding talent.

i mean he has replaced gomes. . . . .with a competent goalie(brad friedel)

He's better than most of the recent Spurs managers, but Martin Jol is far better than him - he was given far less cash to splash out and as on the verge of making CL footie when he was kicked out.

martin jol never made it to elite europe. martin jol never broke the arsenal hoodoo. . . . .harry smashed it when he outplayed and tonked arsenal at the emirates.

eldee:

I didn't even read the report before, it actually says Spurs are paying €25m, €4 above the relegation release clause??
Now, no where in the report does it say they tabled a €21 mil bid. So you're the weird one.
Anyone that follows transfers knows what I'm talking about.

you don't even know the difference between euro sign and the pound sign again. . . . grin
eldee, did you wake up from the wrong side of the bed?
€25m = £22 or whatever exchange rate says to any one reporting.

Valencia do not get to choose if the release clause is met. It's not ethics, it's law.
In Spain, every player's contract, even Messi has a release clause.
Messi's is £225m, even if Wikki Tourists presents £225mil for Messi right now, they cannot reject it, it's simple. . . the player decides if he wants to go or not. . . Barcelona has no say in that, you don't choose when you want to obey contract law.

those release clauses only apply to spanish clubs. . . . .any buying club outside spain don't have to follow it to the letter.
the selling club decides where the player goes if the buying club is foreign.
the release clause is only stringent in spain. . . . .e nor concern premier league club.

Again, if Spurs offered €25m and Arsenal offered €21m . . . Juan Mata decides where he wants to go, it's the law.
You misread the article, the keyword there is what you're missing. . .and I'll let you come read it and come back to tell me.

number one. . . .both clubs have up till 1st of august to meet the deadline of that clause.
number two. . . .tottenham have made their bid and wenger hasn't
number three. . .valencia in serious debt will sell to tottenham even if wenger tables a bid.

will valencia wait until arsenal table a bid? august 1 is less than 48 hours away.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by ritchboy(m): 1:39pm On Jul 30, 2011
Coogar is having another one of his episodes cheesy

VdV yes, but Gomes? He changed him into an excellent bungler.

I thunk Levy was behind the VdV deal. . .

van der vaart will do modric's job. . . .mata will do van der vaart's job

So

Lennon    Huddlestone    VdV    Bale

Mata

Crouch?

Suicide
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by coogar: 1:46pm On Jul 30, 2011
ritchboy:

Coogar is having another one of his episodes cheesy

brilliant episodes you mean?

I thunk Levy was behind the VdV deal. . .

redknapp manipulated who to pay for.
levy paid.

Lennon    Huddlestone    VdV    Bale

Mata

Crouch?

Suicide

and you know this because you have tried it out?
it makes more sense if you replace huddlestone with sandro/palacios.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 1:52pm On Jul 30, 2011
Apparently Joel Campbell is still coming to Arsenal - the U-20 coaches have contacted Costa Rican TV to indicate as such.

You heard it first from Deboskysports.com cool
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by dipo2much(m): 4:25pm On Jul 30, 2011
Emirate cup mode initiated
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by ritchboy(m): 4:48pm On Jul 30, 2011
Fabianski; Jenkinson, Djourou, Kos, Traore; Frimpong, Wilshere, Ramsey; Gervinho, RVP, Arshavin.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by sirwebs(m): 5:10pm On Jul 30, 2011
Traore looks okay. He's the only person i have a question mark over in the line-up.

Wilshere is buzzing.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by coogar: 5:19pm On Jul 30, 2011
sirwebs:

Traore looks okay. He's the only person i have a question mark over in the line-up.

Wilshere is buzzing.

gervinho is the best player on the pitch followed by juan riquelme(this man can pass the ball). . . .

ritchboy:

Fabianski; Jenkinson, Djourou, Kos, Traore; Frimpong, Wilshere, Ramsey; Gervinho, RVP, Arshavin.

samir nasri!

what a rocket by aaron ramsey. . . . half time substitute. . . .combines well with vela(new messi) and bannnng!!
arsenal 2-0 boca juniors.

the men from argie are taking a beating here. cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by ritchboy(m): 5:35pm On Jul 30, 2011
^^ I already knew he'd score cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by KayDee4: 5:50pm On Jul 30, 2011
Cracking goal by Boca . . . . .

Our defence still dey suffer, wetin we go do this Squillachi guy sef?

and another one angry angry angry cry undecided
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by coogar: 5:52pm On Jul 30, 2011
what a pass by riquelme, what a finish by boca. . . .

2nd goal. . . .

and riquelme supplies yet another pass.

2 goals in 3 mins. . .

arsenal 2-2 boca juniors.

djourou needs to be sold. . . .what a twit!
if he had left the ball, ball was on its way out. . . .djourou just trapped the ball for the striker to call.

riquelme is imperious this evening. . . .the south american xavi!
fergie, forget sneijder - sign riquelme!
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 5:54pm On Jul 30, 2011
Comedy defending, first by Squillaci and then by Djourou.

If Wenger needed any more convincing to buy a proven CB, there it is.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by coogar: 6:11pm On Jul 30, 2011
final whistle. . . .

2-2!

comical defending by arsenal's defenders.
wenger needs to ship all of them out. . . .
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by KayDee4: 6:16pm On Jul 30, 2011
Hope Wenger realizes his defensive problem is not one bit solved.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by ritchboy(m): 6:26pm On Jul 30, 2011
There are no words cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by medjai(m): 6:48pm On Jul 30, 2011
Did Arsenal really think they could beat Boca? I dey laugh
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by sirwebs(m): 6:53pm On Jul 30, 2011
samw ol', samw ol'.

Arsene Wenger and the Deathly Defenders II
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 8:04pm On Jul 30, 2011
Same ol, comical defending.
I read somewhere that one of the players (I think Wilshere) said we have improved on our set pieces )both defending and attacking). After today's game, I very much doubt that.

Positives from the game

Frimpong is real strong. Will do real well for us after he's got a season under his belt.
Gervinho looks like he's been playing for us for years
Good to see RVP scoring again this season
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 8:14pm On Jul 30, 2011
What do you guys think about Nasri playing the 'Cesc' role?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 9:11pm On Jul 30, 2011
proudly9ja:

What do you guys think about Nasri playing the 'Cesc' role?

Don't think he actually played the role TBH, he was floating all over the place and spent more time on the left or right than in the centre.

As we've always known, Nasri gives you penetration and isn't really the type to see passes for strikers that others can't see. Moving him to the Cesc position will be a waste of time. We'll be much better off using Ramsey or WIlshere in that position.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by slimshay(m): 9:19pm On Jul 30, 2011
Everybody say 'God bless Debo' grin

Koscielny had more through passes than Samir grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by dip0: 9:35pm On Jul 30, 2011
Arsenal rocks
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by duduspace(m): 10:08pm On Jul 30, 2011
Was at the game today, points I noted.

Samir couldn't be bothered to play in the first half, only put in a bit of effort after taking on the captain's band in the 2nd half. Kept pulling out of the 50/50 balls.

Anyone who thinks JD is better than Kos needs to have a rethink, I could personally count 3 times Kos had to clear up behind him in the first half before being pulled off and he did cost us at the end of it all, at this point in time our first choice CB pairing should be Kos and TV5.

Frimpong might pull off a Wilshere this season, Song cannot afford to be complacent with the way the boy is coming up. He effectively marshalled Riquelme along with Wilshere until he tired out towards the end of the 2nd half and wasn't helped much by Ramsey who kept up his bad habit of losing the ball in dangerous areas, I'm undecided if he is so good or if Wilshere made him look so good.

Chamakh looks to have gained a bit of form, work rate was back today and a whole lot of commitment.

Vela finally showing glimpses of the initial promise and like he has knuckled down, the boy deserves an opportunity to show what he can do with a consistent run in the side, his run which set up Ramsey's goal showed the kind of guts he's been often accused of not having, he took a couple of knocks and had to go receive some treatment shortly after.

Other players like Jenkinson, Traore, Arshavin and RVP did what one would expect of them, Gervinho was effective from both wings but the culprits for today were Squillaci and Djorou.

Funny moment of the day, in the first match between PSG and NY red bulls, the bull's brought on a substitute named John Rooney and a loud boo rang round the stadium, after a while people burst out laughing cos he wasnt Wayne Rooney and someone said he was guilty by association. grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 10:16pm On Jul 30, 2011
Did anyone notice Traore's competent performance? He hardly put a foot wrong all game, and wasn't easily forced off the ball.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by coogar: 10:20pm On Jul 30, 2011
debosky:

Did anyone notice Traore's competent performance? He hardly put a foot wrong all game, and wasn't easily forced off the ball.

he looked very assured. . . .and arsenal did well with riquelme's set-pieces. koscielny was a vidic today but i dunno if that was due to the midgets trying to attack the ball with him. question is. . . . .can koscielny do it on a wet windy night at britannia? grin cheesy

the only fault to be honest is the misunderstanding in the heart of the defence. djourou's brainfarts and squillaci's indecisions. both goals were completely against the run of play - wenger has a lot to do in that defence.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 10:24pm On Jul 30, 2011
coogar:

he looked very assured. . . .and arsenal did well with riquelme's set-pieces. koscielny was a vidic today but i dunno if that was due to the midgets trying to attack the ball with him. question is. . . . .can koscielny do it on a wet windy night at britannia? grin cheesy

You read the guardian article too? grin

Djourou has not been himself since early March. . . .I think he was Messilized the way Kolo was Zakilised a few seasons ago. cheesy

the only fault to be honest is the misunderstanding in the heart of the defence. djourou's brainfarts and squillaci's indecisions. both goals were completely against the run of play - wenger has a lot to do in that defence.

A heck of a lot to do - let's see how TV5 performs alongside Koscielny tomorrow. . .
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by dipo2much(m): 7:56am On Jul 31, 2011
I am excited that Djourou's inept at the back line is now been underscored. I hammered it severally even during Djourou's  purple patch last season that KOS IS A BETTER DEFENDER THAN DJOUROU. 

Kos is REALLY good. Yes, that good. Last season was more of unexpected baptism of fire for him as Wenger clearly stated that he wasn't expected to play more than 20 games, and he ended up playing way more. He is definitely going to be a improved defender this season.

As it stands, Verm and Kos is our best combi. Anyone who thinks differently really has a bias in his thinking

Frimpong is clearly trying hard to impress. He isnt on the level of song yet as some of his tackles yesterday were far from neat. But he is the energetic type, probably even more strong than Song.  He needs to work of his technique too. Song still sheets on his like sagna does Jek.

Gervinho is gonna do havoc on that right side of the emirate stadium this season. Many left backs will be humiliated. MANY ,i say. Arshavin will suffer if he doesn't up his game.

KOS all the way. I tip him to have a great season
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 8:33am On Jul 31, 2011
dipo2much:

Frimpong is clearly trying hard to impress. He isnt on the level of song yet as some of his tackles yesterday were far from neat. But he is the energetic type, probably even more strong than Song.  He needs to work of his technique too. Song still sheets on his like sagna does Jek.

Song was like this at the beginning too. He went to Charlton on loan, then some games on the bench for Arsenal and when Flamini and Gilberto left, he took his chance. I do believe Frimpong will make it. He is still raw but nothing a season long loan to a PL side won't cure. If his work rate doesn't nose dive, I believe he'l be better than Song. I like the way he plays with the determination not to lose the ball.

dipo2much:

KOS all the way. I tip him to have a great season
That is if we don't get a new CB.
I think now that we have established the weak points in our defence ala Squills and DJ, TV5 should be paired with Kos together with Sagna plus Traore should play the rest of the games in preseason.
And yes, Traore seems to have learnt a thing or two about defending at Juventus. Maybe we should send Gibbs to Italy too?

debosky:

Don't think he actually played the role TBH, he was floating all over the place and spent more time on the left or right than in the centre.

As we've always known, Nasri gives you penetration and isn't really the type to see passes for strikers that others can't see. Moving him to the Cesc position will be a waste of time. We'll be much better off using Ramsey or WIlshere in that position.
Im just trying to weigh our options if Cesc decides to leave us. Most likely, Aaron will not get games ahead of Nasri (if Nasri stays) and from what Ive read AW say, we won't get Mata if the TWO of them don't leave. So Mata is our plan B only if both Nasri and Cesc leave. If one stays (more likely Nasri), we will have to make do without the other. If Nasri alone leaves, I wouldn't mind too much tbh. His performance in our preseason games seems to me like someone who would rather be somewhere else, although he may only be trying to avoid injuries.

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (100)

UEFA Champions League Quarter Final Draw / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 / Liverpool F.C Fans Zone - the Mighty Reds !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.