Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka (14541 Views)

Bovi Banned From Entering USA / Amanda Chisom On COVID-19: How I Was Almost Swindled And Forced To Quarantine / Runtown Has Been Banned From Entering US (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:49pm On Oct 28, 2021
Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has narrated how he was ‘banished’ from entering Nigeria when he was in France.

The renowned playwright, narrated his ordeal on Thursday, while speaking at a news conference held at Freedom Park in Lagos with the theme: ‘Covid, Technology and Citizens banishment.’

According to the Noble laureate, he was denied his right to movement twice, describing his experience has banishment.

“Not being able to return to your own country is banishment.” Soyinka said.

“I had my vaccination, I have taken the 72-hour covid test, I was negative but there was one more, there was a new one called PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) which the Nigerian government had begun to insist on,” he said.

Soyinka said he believed it was his fault, so he went back to Paris with his luggage.

“But it happened the second time a week ago despite following all travel protocols and having the PCR,” he said.

“This time I had my PCR and of course it did not happen to me alone, there were other Nigerians who had a similar scenario, they couldn’t leave because they had already passed the immigration,” he added.

He said they were denied entry because they had not obtained a travel permit from the Nigerian government.

Soyinka stated that he was directed to make certain payments then “permission would be generated so I could travel back to my own country.”

He said despite his status in the country, he refused to contact any government authority to intervene.

Soyinka said the portal was inaccessible for him to generate the permit.

“I don’t believe that I or any Nigerian require a special treatment to enter the country, ” he averred.

“When an individual is prevented from entering one’s country due to the lapses of others, then there is a problem.”

Soyinka said he could have used his status to navigate his way through the strictures imposed by the government officials but he just wanted to experience the rigorous processes that ordinary Nigerians go through.

“This is a plea to the Ministry of Health and that of External Affairs which I believe must have participated in this.’

“The next day, about six staff of the aviation company tried to access the portal from different computers but it was not reachable,” he said.

He noted that although payment from his credit card was acknowledged, it still “did not generate this permit to enter Nigeria which has the barcode.”

The professor said at a point in a bid to gain entry into the country, he almost took a flight to Lome.

He added that it took “special permission” for him to enter his homeland.

He also berated the internal affairs and health ministries for making travelers fill a “ludicrous” questionnaire that has nothing to do with COVID-19 on the travel portal.

“What the majority of those questions have to do with COVID-19, I don’t understand. I went through some of the questions repeatedly… We do not require this kind of secret service questionnaire,” he said.

He said it was disheartening to see fellow Nigerians sleeping on couches, “trapped in limbo,” because some government officials are technologically inefficient.

Soyinka pleaded with the ministry of health and internal affairs to stop treating Nigerians as criminals and illegal immigrants.

He suggested that the Nigerian government provided an emergency line should there be technological hitches.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pmnewsnigeria.com/2021/10/28/covid-19-how-i-was-banished-from-entering-nigeria-soyinka/%3famp=1

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Crowwejihadist: 9:54pm On Oct 28, 2021
You supported Buhari so enjoy your change.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by NwaNimo1(m): 9:55pm On Oct 28, 2021
Banished from entering Nigeria,.......

dis man dey scatter oyibo unnecessarily spontaneously randomly on occasion unreasonably!

[img]https://c./e_y-Oct7XDIAAAAd/laughing-mike-tyson.gif[/img]

.....instead of him being thankful for an extra few days away from the shithoole zoo!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Amotolongbo(f): 9:57pm On Oct 28, 2021
Pled:
Banished baba?
Ya,

Banished by the ineptitude of the ministry of Health and Internal affairs

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by CrownOfClay724: 10:11pm On Oct 28, 2021
Crowwejihadist:

Wow!

Is that all you could pick from that whole talk?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Damidave1124(m): 4:31am On Oct 29, 2021
You could have used your influence, but you decided not to just to preach equality no matter your status. Kudos to our amiable prof

34 Likes

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by SleakBuzzPR: 4:33am On Oct 29, 2021
Y

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by TimmyTen(m): 4:33am On Oct 29, 2021
“Banished” Lmao

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by specialmati(m): 4:37am On Oct 29, 2021
grin grin grin grin thank God for life,one of the few educated literate with phd that supported the lifeless illiterate with NEPA cert to rule the most popular black nation on earth.now everything don scatter killings all over the Nation.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by donofdons: 4:43am On Oct 29, 2021
I flew into Lagos on my private jet with some Brazilian girls and sweet Samoan cutie boys. They did not have these documents so the immigration guys in Lagos asked us to fly back so we said ok. Took off and flew to the airport in jigsawa and entered without problems. Just that the run way was too short for my gulfstream jet and the weather too dry for those Brazilian girls and sweet bodied boys. Took a convoy to land and them abuja and had fun. It’s totally different for most poor Nigerians - but they must understand that poverty is a diseased state.

5 Likes

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by southernbelle(f): 4:48am On Oct 29, 2021
“When an individual is prevented from entering one’s country due to the lapses of others, then there is a problem.”
Exactly!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Person2person(m): 4:50am On Oct 29, 2021
Hopefully, they listen.
Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by richard870(m): 5:13am On Oct 29, 2021
Nigeria is a joke!
Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Tissaia(f): 5:16am On Oct 29, 2021
Stupid old man probably he is high

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by suleolooyo: 5:38am On Oct 29, 2021
Sir, you joined them to beatify the area boys a la change mantra. So enjoy.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Thunderfayayou: 5:42am On Oct 29, 2021
BeeBeeOoh:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pmnewsnigeria.com/2021/10/28/covid-19-how-i-was-banished-from-entering-nigeria-soyinka/%3famp=1

Yeah see where your hatred has left you at. You were one of the major key player of Buhari's election 2015.

Igbo's knew who Buhari is and you a whole Professor can't even differentiate a fake from the real because of Hatred.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by HolyTrader: 5:49am On Oct 29, 2021
specialmati:
grin grin grin grin thank God for life,one of the few educated literate with phd that supported the lifeless illiterate with NEPA cert to rule the most popular black nation on earth.now everything don scatter killings all over the Nation.

Point of Correction:
Professor Wole Soyinka does not have a Phd. He got his Masters from Leeds University, that's his highest.
In sane climes, you don't necessarily need a PhD to become a Professor - because it is research-based. Baba is a Genius.

8 Likes

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by specialmati(m): 5:54am On Oct 29, 2021
HolyTrader:

Point of Correction:
Professor Wole Soyinka does not have a Phd. He got his Masters from Leeds University, that's his highest.
In sane climes, you don't necessarily need a PhD to become a Professor - because it is research-based. Baba is a Genius.
ok genius that supported an illiterate to rule his people

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by eurogee: 5:56am On Oct 29, 2021
Cultist! Following your inspiration, look at the way youths of the day are killing themselves. Come what may, you're responsible for the proliferation og cultism in Nigeria ogah soyinka

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by EndBuhariNow(m): 5:56am On Oct 29, 2021
This wifeless bushy hair professor, you haven't seen anything yet, this is the beginning.. by the time they will hijack you for 60 days u will know the full meaning of karma...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by sirmustyla(m): 6:04am On Oct 29, 2021
Sorry Prof, your mistake. If only you'd joined those theiving folks called politicians in Nigeria. By now, you would have held many juicy appointments and stole a lot of money to afford many private jets. Instead you choose to follow the part of intergrity and nationalism. Your generation shall be called blessed. As for the theiving folks especially the old ones like the chief incompetent bandit of Nigeria - Buhari, the virgin locator - Oshomole, the age forger/drug user - Tinubu, the smelling mouthed fool - Lai, the judgment of God will not spare them and their generation. Ameen.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Oduduwa707: 6:09am On Oct 29, 2021
angry
Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by chris51(f): 6:13am On Oct 29, 2021
Tissaia:

Do you have a father?
To call a man in his late 80s stupid.
I sympathise with you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by chris51(f): 6:13am On Oct 29, 2021
chris51:

Do you have a father?
To call a man in his late 80s stupid.
I sympathise with you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Hndrrxxx(m): 6:17am On Oct 29, 2021
Obviously Le Prof has done nothing wrong

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Vicogrin(m): 6:33am On Oct 29, 2021
Crowwejihadist:
where were you when Prof. Soyinka spent eighteen month in prison Just to save One Nigeria?
Guess the highest you've done for your country is stay behind your phone and complain.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by CryptoClub2018: 6:34am On Oct 29, 2021
Tissaia:

I don't know you but your comment is an indication that you weren't brought up well.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by dododawa1: 6:45am On Oct 29, 2021
Only d children of poverty used social media.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by Mayng01(m): 6:57am On Oct 29, 2021
Hmmm! Banished!!! Bubu was your ally. Wasn’t it? Keep enjoying.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How I Was Banished From Entering Nigeria - Soyinka by fasho01(m): 6:58am On Oct 29, 2021
Welcome to your fatherland where systems do not work

(1) (2) (Reply)

Iyanya Kukere Concert: Pictures From The London Concert / Kingdom Lottery Unveils Mr Ibu As Brand Ambassador / Traditional Wedding Of Don Saint 'Nwafor Chigozie Paul' (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.