Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,098 members, 7,828,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? (8043 Views)

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard / How Many Will Be Able To Withdraw Money If Atms Did This (photo) / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by mishoo(m): 4:56pm On Jul 25, 2007
YEAH, ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS !!
COS WHEN THEY FIND OUT, THEY WILL STYLISHLY REMOVE IT OO.
BESIDES A BANK OFFICER IS USING HIS/HER SALARY TO PAY FOR THAT !!
THAT AINT FAIR MAN !!!
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by aleroaruya(f): 5:01pm On Jul 25, 2007
be happy for ur gain wink , am sure the ATM will get u someday! grin
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by MT: 5:26pm On Jul 25, 2007
@rowlandwhy

Go to www.gtbplc.com

Register for internet banking there
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by SixSigma1(m): 5:39pm On Jul 25, 2007
@ MT and everybody:

@bani

I will like you to check the statement of your account up either on the internet or you request for the paper one. Then look for date when the transaction happened. Check if your account was debitted, without being creddited correspondingly.

This ATM out-of-service syndrome has happened to me before but anytime it happened, I would just go to the nearest Cafe to check my statement online, and lo and behold the credit would have cancelled out the debit.

I hope this helps

I will strongly suggest that you desist from checking your bank account (or logging on to your bank account) using public computers (e.g. internet cafe, library etc). Use only your personal computer or check via the phone if phone services are available.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Macutie(f): 7:32pm On Jul 25, 2007
ATMs do not cheat. They are configured to perform withdrawal, recharge and deposut functions(those ones never enter naija yet sha). What happened was the network(thats how best i can describe it ) to your bank went off as you where about to withdraw, at that point the ATM recognized a withdrawal. The Atm you used does not have your account information so they could not view the history of your transaction (big story shei?) in short they could not help you thats why you were reffered to your bank!
Now your bank was surposed to view your transaction and credit your account but if they dont do that, then young sir, change banks those guys are sloppy!

Mr Official, except your bank does not reconcile their GL o, but when they do, they would notice a double posting and debit your account of the excess.

Sorry to dissappoint you cry

Or pray ur bank is sloppy!or the pips in charge are anyway.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by niyyie(m): 7:46pm On Jul 25, 2007
In the middle of all these hula-balu, one thing is made obvious: anything is possible in Nigeria.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by software(m): 8:51pm On Jul 25, 2007
i have always felt that those things wount work well in naija at first, I even learnt that some guys now hack people funds, if ur ATM card is misplaced,  

But i will also like to beleive that those lapses would be tackled so as to enjoy full benefits of ICT,
Naija is MOVING
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Boondoggle(m): 9:25pm On Jul 25, 2007
Had a similar experience with the ATM located @ Ikeja in that joint by the foot of the bridge, i think it is called Triangle or whatever.
I requested for 20K and Mr. ATM came back with "Hardware Error". It was a weekend so I decided to give out check instead of the cash to sort out my need. On checking my acount on Monday, I saw a big and bold 20K debit  shocked courtesy Mr. ATM, Ikeja. "No probs", I said to myself then proceeded to draft a letter to GTB's . Armed with the letter and photocopy of the failed ATM transaction I proceeded to the GTB branch where my account is domicile (Lesson 1. when you have any issues of this nature please don't go to any  other branch other than where your account is domicile otherwise they would bounce you around or make you to wait endlessly). On getting there, I lodged my complaint and then the lady was like "Sir, you will need to write a lett  ,  . . ", (lesson 2. be prepared!, they will always ask for letter). I immediately "conjured" my already prepared instrument  grin and when she saw the EPISTLE with the attached photocopy of transaction receipt, her jaw dropped and was she was like " W-o-w!!! shocked shocked  shocked That's a pretty long petition . . .  It is 2,000,000kobo where are talking about here! grin grin grin
Anyway, she told me they had a lot of such complaint over the weekend and the transactions would be reverse that same day. I said, "Great, but you must accept my letter",  which she did. I then left with  big hope while planning my next move if. . . .
True to her words, the transaction was reversed that day. Since then I have been using GTB's ATM ONLY and I have never had any issue(s) again. Lesson 3 - stick to the ATM of the institution you bank with.  cool
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by niyyie(m): 9:36pm On Jul 25, 2007
You're very funny. grin grin grin
Well, I'm yet to use an ATM in Nigeria though I have an ATM card from a Nigerian bank. I have learnt a lot from this thread already.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by edmondo(m): 12:38am On Jul 26, 2007
@bani,
your money will be credited back into your account,i had a similar experience sumtime in 2006 and my acct was credited back but it took abt 2 month b4 my 5100 was credited back.i almost turn GTbank marina branch to my hse because of 5000 naira.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Boondoggle(m): 3:34am On Jul 26, 2007
edmondo:

@bani,
your money will be credited back into your account,i had a similar experience sumtime in 2006 and my acct was credited back but it took about 2 month before my 5100 was credited back.i almost turn GTbank marina branch to my hse because of 5000 naira.

[color=#990000][/color]

Did I not say so? If I be prophet I for dey wack tight o! grin grin grin

@edmondo,

I hope u did not spend 10K to collect ya 5K lipsrsealed
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by charlione(m): 8:47am On Jul 26, 2007
wow, i think it will be safer to operate bank ATMs where u have an account even though that will defeat the purpose of the whole thing most of the time. and wassup with UBA
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by uchetobi(f): 9:29am On Jul 26, 2007
it is not a fraud issue. It’s a computer issue like somebody has painstakingly explained. The money left your ac but for some problems the atm did not dispense the cash to you. Since the debit was not reversed you have done the right thing by complaining to your bank. Just follow up on them
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by amaks: 10:07am On Jul 26, 2007
sorry to all those with bad xperiences.

that decides it for me,no more use of atm cards for me.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by drklump(m): 10:15am On Jul 26, 2007
Hmmmm. So many stories.
I'm the old school type and i've never been one to embrace new technology immediately. I was forced to start using ATMs after spending close to 2hrs in a banking hall a few months ago.

My close shave with ATM was 2 weeks ago at Diamond Bank's ATM at Bode Thomas Surulere. I checked my balance and was happy to see that my account had been credited by NYSC. A smile on my face i keyed in the transaction to withdraw 10k.

The screen displayed the take ur card mesage and wait for ur cash. Then the card got stuck coming out. It withheld my card and my cash didnt come out.

I assure you that wiped the smile off my face. I dashed into the Banking hall and met the Customer care folks. My mind was already going ", ur cash is gone, ur cash is gone, "

They gave me back my card and assured me that my balance would be the same. I checked and voila it was still there. I withdrew my money and went home to reflec on my near miss.

ATMS are good but there is need for serious improvement.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Ralvy(m): 11:00am On Jul 26, 2007
They truly are, no doubt.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by olujyde(m): 11:49am On Jul 26, 2007
Thanks to all of you who has contributed immensely to these ATM matter.
Pls send yr email to me on olujyde@yahoo.com. Let the subject be Nairlander[color=#990000] I have a joker for all of una!

thanks once again
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Angelgirl(f): 11:59am On Jul 26, 2007
I think this ATM problems in Nigeria will continue as long as the machines depend on unstable network, internet or power supply, just like when one gets stuck in an elevator because of power failure from PHCN, God help Nigeria.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Q(m): 12:20pm On Jul 26, 2007
I really do feel sorry to hear about your mishap in the hands of the so called 'automated thieving machines'-ATM. I for one have a disdain for anything that has to do with UBA 'cos i feel its UBA to blame about your cash, not GTB'. It’s quite a redundant institution with total disregard for customer service and care. One would expect at this stage, elumelu or whatever his name is, should be working on improving services in all its UBA branches across the country. Rather he's off globetrotting over the Atlantic, looking for cheap recognition in faraway Cayman Island and New-York. It’s about time that UBA chap get some smacking for his lil' incompetence. It kills me to my bone to have such experience in my own country at this time and age, its absurd! And the most bizarre thing about all this, is that, when you report the issue to the so called staffs at UBA, you get this rude answer and attitude like they got so much work they are attending to at the moment and you would need to come back much later. If not the gentleman i am, i just would like to break someone’s neck with my kong-fu skills grin grin TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN, UBA needs to be CHECKED!!
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by bugado(m): 1:41pm On Jul 26, 2007
wha ho. i saw this topic yesterday but i did not say anything about it. yesterday when i was watching NTA news i saw people complainig about ATM cards so check your acc. balance steady.lol
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by uchetobi(f): 1:53pm On Jul 26, 2007
Q:

I really do feel sorry to hear about your mishap in the hands of the so called 'automated thieving machines'-ATM. I for one have a disdain for anything that has to do with UBA 'because i feel its UBA to blame about your cash, not GTB'. It’s quite a redundant institution with total disregard for customer service and care. One would expect at this stage, elumelu or whatever his name is, should be working on improving services in all its UBA branches across the country. Rather he's off globetrotting over the Atlantic, looking for cheap recognition in faraway Cayman Island and New-York. It’s about time that UBA chap get some smacking for his little' incompetence. It kills me to my bone to have such experience in my own country at this time and age, its absurd! And the most bizarre thing about all this, is that, when you report the issue to the so called staffs at UBA, you get this rude answer and attitude like they got so much work they are attending to at the moment and you would need to come back much later. If not the gentleman i am, i just would like to break someone’s neck with my kong-fu skills grin grin TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN, UBA needs to be CHECKED!!

I have never had a problem with UBA ATM. and I have 4 ATM cards from 4 different banks. So is should know. Infact they are only bank that have a minimum of two to three ATM in all their branches (which are everywhere by the way). Even at the malls, Hilton,, everywhere. If GTB’s financial institution was not available at thate doesn’t mean it is UBA’s fault because it is a UBA ATM
@the top poster. LOL. You know what you said is true. The quick cash ATM at triangles never seem to have cash in it
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by dblock(m): 1:56pm On Jul 26, 2007
@ Bani

So you've finally learnt about clever acronyms.

I mean there are so many "clever" acronyms around these days

Such as; Problem Has Changed Name (PHCN) or the good Old Never Expect Power Always.

Never any inspiring or positive acronyms.

If the ATM's are so bad, why don't you stop using the things. it's not as if financial transactions became a reality because of the invention of Automated Teller Machines. grin
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by knightdew(m): 2:22pm On Jul 26, 2007
I have bin scammed 20 times and part of them have bin victims of ATMs, im sorry about ur plight though, however, if u must know with ATM now,there is a new innovations that ATM scammers use now, sonnest it will be on d uprising!,
visit www.iustusinmariabiz.com
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by kamuzu(m): 3:02pm On Jul 26, 2007
Knightdew, i have visited the site you posted. however, i am not convinced that this itself is not a scam!!!!!!!!!!!! undecided
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by rowlandwhy: 4:58pm On Jul 26, 2007
dblock:

Such as; Problem Has Changed Name (PHCN) or the good Old Never Expect Power Always.

I think the best acronym for PHCN is [b]P[/b]lease [b]H[/b]old ur [b]C[/b]andle at [b]N[/b]ight grin
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by seun001(m): 6:39pm On Jul 26, 2007
think by now ur money should have been credited.never had problems with atm,in fact having been in a banking hall except to deposit something.i use my atm steady.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by oyie(f): 6:41pm On Jul 26, 2007
thanks all,i just got my UBA card,so after reading this thread i will be very careful with them.i have neva had problems wit my access card but then u neva know.i guess i will aviod cross atm cool
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by seun001(m): 6:46pm On Jul 26, 2007
AND THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH U TRYING TO GET BACK U MONEY NO MATTER THE AMT JUST FOR THE SIMPLE REASON THAT ITS UR MONEY.

TO THE PERSON THAT GOT HIS ACCOUNT CREDITED TWICE,GUES U KNOW THAT IS OUTRIGHT STEALING,SO WHEN U ARE DEBITED WHEN THIS IS DISCOVERED U MAY BE ARRESTED FOR IT.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by dearstan(m): 3:06pm On Jul 27, 2007
this is a very simple issue. go to the banks website and submit a memo. it goes directly to the bank's overall manager. i can attest to that because i once had a problem with GTbank and after sending a memo online, not only was my case resolved, someone also got fired for negligence of duty.
go to www.gtbplc.com
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by obua: 4:52pm On Jul 27, 2007
Report to your bank about any losses from ATM usage with all the details and you will get a refund .
I have had several cases of wrong deductions which were corrected after formal complaints were made.
Most problems on ATM are caused by network outage.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by kolahinmi(m): 9:59pm On Jul 28, 2007
Hi,
I will like console you all I was in the same situation sometime ago, it happened on a Oceanic Bank ATM, I was badly treated by the Oceanic Bank staff, I latter sent email to the Central Bank complaining of Fraud with the full details of the transaction.I was suprised to get a call from Oceanic Bank HQ as how I was to go about receiving my money.
I believe everyone you stop using this ATM technology until they have perfected their acts.I have henceforth stopped using the ATM and even burnt the card.A word is enough for the wise
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Shaunscot(m): 11:50pm On Jul 28, 2007
I dont think that is a good advise.Just because some banks liquidated doesnt mean you have stopped banking.
Explanation-Sh*t happens.
Its how you handle it when it happens that matters.Truly a lot of these companies disregard their customers(maybe because of the Nigerian factor) but at the end,you cant do without some of these services.
There was a time glo robbed me of close to 2k and they did nothing about it until I sent a mail to the NCC.They then started calling me.I havent stopped paying Starcomms for Internet despite the fact that their services is crap.If I change,what is the possibility that the new ISP wont fail me?
You can report to the appropriate authorities to fight for you as it is their duty but burning your ATM or advising other people not to use ATMs is way extreme.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Start Football Viewing Center / Advice Please, I Have #750k To Set Up A CHEMIST Shop. / Nigeria’s Manufacturing PMI Index Rises By 23% In Dec 2016 – Fbnquest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.