Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,057 members, 7,828,719 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? (8042 Views)

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard / How Many Will Be Able To Withdraw Money If Atms Did This (photo) / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Nobody: 4:35am On Jul 29, 2007
kolahinmi:

Hi,
I will like console you all I was in the same situation sometime ago, it happened on a Oceanic Bank ATM, I was badly treated by the Oceanic Bank staff, I latter sent email to the Central Bank complaining of Fraud with the full details of the transaction.I was suprised to get a call from Oceanic Bank HQ as how I was to go about receiving my money.
I believe everyone you stop using this ATM technology until they have perfected their acts.I have henceforth stopped using the ATM and even burnt the card.A word is enough for the wise

Then you should go via the old school method
Save your money in the ground grin
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by spaceworld: 7:16am On Jul 29, 2007
GTB ATM always reverse mine, i had the experience many times, they will definitely do it for you at the long run,
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by bibilari(f): 11:13am On Jul 29, 2007
I also have issue with GTB ATMS they are never available in fact with GTB bank as whole for a very long time unfortunately it is a salary account and i dont want to go through all the wahala of changing banks if not i don tire for GTbank service not to talk of the illiterate staff they have in some of their branches , i have asked fro intrenet banking for over 4 months i have filled forms at branches i have done it online, no wonder i wonder at my account balance sometimes, i don tire for them o jare
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by angolag(m): 3:21pm On Jul 29, 2007
Nigeria Online transaction is still trying to hold a very static performance.As for me I will not even try applying for their yeye ATM before they start their 419 scams.I will apply after 10 yrs when I know they must have attained to a higher level of securing transactions.any body wey dey use ATM,My hand no dey oooo.na sidon look i dey, grin grin
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by SGN(m): 3:24pm On Jul 29, 2007
@Everyone

Its really painful the kind of experience some people have had using ATMs in Nigeria. But I plead to you all, do not let us throw away the baby with the bath water.

First ATM (according to history) was first deployed by Barclays in London in 1967 but didn't really gain wide acceptance until mid to late 1980s, that's about 17 years.  This can be attributed to some of the teething problems we are having now too. But in the end, its a worthwhile adventure.  

Having said that though, the technology available to us today is far more superior to what obtains then, and in fact, that's what made it possible for us in the first instance.  Some people will argue (and quite rightly) that with better technology, we should not have the problems  we are having now, but believe me, there is no substitute for experience. All these experience are going to be ploughed back into improving the system over time.

One thing that is particularly distressing (people's comment), is the response by some banks.  We could do better with an improved bank's response.  Perhaps (and this is my personal opinion), a kind of NCC way of reporting thing like this can help.

In the meantime, I will implore people to continue to use ATMs.  But in the meantime, to be on the safe side, lets try and use it for transaction which is a small fraction of our account balance.  In that way, if anything goes wrong, one will not be down and dead broke while the situation is being looked into by the bank.  I mean for example, I could use ATM for transaction of 10K if I have 40K balance in my account, but I probably will go into the bank to take 10K if my balance is 15K.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by akanze: 3:26pm On Jul 29, 2007
thiis is serious case.

when will nigeria ever get it right?

ATM?

Na wa o
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Elgaxton(m): 2:52pm On Jul 30, 2007
I dont trust that UBA for anything!

By the way talking about ATMs the best remains Zenith Bank.

others na second hand ATMs grin
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by favourite(f): 4:15pm On Jul 30, 2007
which of the Zenith bank. the one at okota road is always having problems. either that its locked up or that its not working. inshort it doesnt work
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by seun001(m): 6:03pm On Jul 30, 2007
Elgaxton:

I don't trust that UBA for anything!

By the way talking about ATMs the best remains Zenith Bank.

others na second hand ATMs grin

as for me,i think zenith atms Bleep up the most.i have learned to avoid it like a plague
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by teddydeji: 10:51am On Jul 31, 2007
mr official or wetin be your name.u will be branded mr ole-cial if u dont report to the nearest bank the mistake made in crediting your account with 30k instead of 15k.
something tells u are an Automated thieving Man a twin brother of the Automated thieving Machine
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Monalisa2: 9:44am On Aug 01, 2007
Hey Friends,

Am not suppose to do this here, but its urgent.
i need help! i have a test with Oceanic Bank in 3 weeks time.
I hv not done any bank test before. so i want u to please tell me
what and what i will be expecting, and also other necessary advice.

Thanks i will be waiting.

CC: Seun please contribute.
harroonline@yahoo.com
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by lilbabe(f): 3:15pm On Aug 01, 2007
MUST THINGS GO WRONG WITH UBA? I SERIOUSLY ADVICE THAT MANAGEMENT OF THE BANK SHOULD CHECK IT.
NOTHING WORKS IN TERMS OF SERVICES TO CUSTOMER EXCEPT "CORPORATE EXTORTION" IN TERMS OF CRAZY CHARGES. NOW IT IS THIER ATM .
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by odave: 5:04pm On Aug 01, 2007
HELP ME O
MY CASE IS SIMILAR.ON 30 JULY 2007 I WAS SENT ON A BUSINESS TRIP TO IBADAN FROM OAU IFE WITH A SUM OF N 150,000 THE BUSINESS WAS ABORTED BECAUSE PF SOME REASONS.I HAD ALREADY UES N12,500 OUT OF THE MONEY BELIEVING THAT I WILL WITHDRAW IT FROM MY ACCOUNT USING MY ATM CARD ISUUED BY FIRST BANK.I TRY TO ISE THE CARD AT FIRST BANK IWO ROAD THE MACHINE DIDNT DISPENSE CASH, I PROCEED TO NEARBY ZENITH BANK TO WITHDRAW I STAYED THERE FOR ALMOST 10 MINUTES AND AT LAST THE EVIL MACHINE DISPLAYED THAT MY FINANCIAL INTITUTION IS NOT AVAILABLE. LEAVE THE BANK IMMEDIATLY BCOZ ITS ALREADY 6 AM.WHEN I GOT TO IFE I TRY TO DO THE SAME AT GT BANK ONLY TO DICOVER THAT MY MONEY HAD ALREADY BEEN DEDUCTED.THE NEXT DAY I WAS AT FIRST BANK WHERE THE CARD WAS ISSUED I WAS TOLD TO GO IBADAN AGAIN AND COMPLAIN AT THAT ZENITH BANK.

I GOT TO IBADAN TO CONPLAIN I WAS TOLD TO WRITE 2 LETTERS 1 TO ZENITH BANK AND THE OTHER TO FIRST BANK.I WRITE THE LETTERS AND SUBMITE IT.I WAS ALSO GIVEN A FORM TO FILL AT FIRST BANK.

HAD IT BEEN SOMTHING LIKE 2,000 I WOULD HAVE LEAVE IT FOR THEM.

SOMETHING OF SUCH HAD HAPPEN TO ME BEFORE AT FIRST BANK GBAGI I WITHDRAW 8,000 OUT OF MY 65,000 I IMMEDIATELLY CHECK MY BALANCE ONLY TO DISCOVER 16,000 HAD BEEN WITHDRAWN FROM MY ACCOUNT, AH ! I SHOUTED ON ALL OF THEM THERE THAT DAY I WAS CALMED AND ADVISED TO COME BACK THE NEXY DAY,I IMMEDIATELLY GO TO NEARBY UBA TO CHECK MY BALANCE AGAIN TO MY SUPRISE MY MONEY WAS AGAIN RETURNED BACK.

MY CONCLUSION

SOME BANK OFFICIALS ARE CORRUPT AND THEY THE ONE TAKING THOSE CASH.WHY? MACHINE CAN MAKE MISTAKE BUT I AM SURE SOMEBODY IS THERE DOING THAT HEINOUS ACT.I KNOW THEY WIL PAY WITH THEIR LIFE .I HAD NOT SHOUTED THAT DAY THEY WILL TAKE THAT MONEY I AM SURE AND WILLBE GIVEN LOTS OF RESONS THAT THEY WERE PROCESSING IT
EFCC BEWARE OUR BANKERS ARE THIEFS!!!!
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by seun001(m): 5:34pm On Aug 01, 2007
o`dave:

HELP ME O
MY CASE IS SIMILAR.ON 30 JULY 2007 I WAS SENT ON A BUSINESS TRIP TO IBADAN FROM OAU IFE WITH A SUM OF N 150,000 THE BUSINESS WAS ABORTED BECAUSE PF SOME REASONS.I HAD ALREADY UES N12,500 OUT OF THE MONEY BELIEVING THAT I WILL WITHDRAW IT FROM MY ACCOUNT USING MY ATM CARD ISUUED BY FIRST BANK.I TRY TO ISE THE CARD AT FIRST BANK IWO ROAD THE MACHINE DIDNT DISPENSE CASH, I PROCEED TO NEARBY ZENITH BANK TO WITHDRAW I STAYED THERE FOR ALMOST 10 MINUTES AND AT LAST THE EVIL MACHINE DISPLAYED THAT MY FINANCIAL INTITUTION IS NOT AVAILABLE. LEAVE THE BANK IMMEDIATLY BCOZ ITS ALREADY 6 AM.WHEN I GOT TO IFE I TRY TO DO THE SAME AT GT BANK ONLY TO DICOVER THAT MY MONEY HAD ALREADY BEEN DEDUCTED.THE NEXT DAY I WAS AT FIRST BANK WHERE THE CARD WAS ISSUED I WAS TOLD TO GO IBADAN AGAIN AND COMPLAIN AT THAT ZENITH BANK.

I GOT TO IBADAN TO CONPLAIN I WAS TOLD TO WRITE 2 LETTERS 1 TO ZENITH BANK AND THE OTHER TO FIRST BANK.I WRITE THE LETTERS AND SUBMITE IT.I WAS ALSO GIVEN A FORM TO FILL AT FIRST BANK.

HAD IT BEEN SOMTHING LIKE 2,000 I WOULD HAVE LEAVE IT FOR THEM.

SOMETHING OF SUCH HAD HAPPEN TO ME BEFORE AT FIRST BANK GBAGI I WITHDRAW 8,000 OUT OF MY 65,000 I IMMEDIATELLY CHECK MY BALANCE ONLY TO DISCOVER 16,000 HAD BEEN WITHDRAWN FROM MY ACCOUNT, AH ! I SHOUTED ON ALL OF THEM THERE THAT DAY I WAS CALMED AND ADVISED TO COME BACK THE NEXY DAY,I IMMEDIATELLY GO TO NEARBY UBA TO CHECK MY BALANCE AGAIN TO MY SUPRISE MY MONEY WAS AGAIN RETURNED BACK.

MY CONCLUSION

SOME BANK OFFICIALS ARE CORRUPT AND THEY THE ONE TAKING THOSE CASH.WHY? MACHINE CAN MAKE MISTAKE BUT I AM SURE SOMEBODY IS THERE DOING THAT HEINOUS ACT.I KNOW THEY WIL PAY WITH THEIR LIFE .I HAD NOT SHOUTED THAT DAY THEY WILL TAKE THAT MONEY I AM SURE AND WILLBE GIVEN LOTS OF RESONS THAT THEY WERE PROCESSING IT
EFCC BEWARE OUR BANKERS ARE THIEFS!!!!

in as much as i cant speak for anyone,i beg to differ on ur argument.ATM's are automatically controlled by networks,if theres any manipulation its been programmed to shut down.like someone explained b4,its as a result of lags in network transmission.if ur money was wrongly deducted,there will definately be a reversal.abeg
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by kayoday(m): 6:15pm On Aug 01, 2007
ATM don chop my money today,
i withdrew 5k yesterday frm Zenith bank acct , was there to withdraw 20k today but found out 20k was deducted frm the said Acct frm the last transactn. Will create a scene tomorrow in the banking hall if i dont get a reasonable explanation. Though the money might be small but it is my hard earned cash.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Carlosein(m): 7:11pm On Aug 01, 2007
pls don't burn down the bank o!
grin grin
all these talk is very interesting as for me i have not got an ATM yet still waiting to see how u guys fare cheesy cheesy
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by oge4real(f): 9:27pm On Aug 01, 2007
wahala!
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by opensource(m): 10:46pm On Aug 01, 2007
gtb used the wincorf ATM machine which happens to be the most secured in ATM equipments.

Problem could have been a programatic error which has got to do the the router that switches .The remember is inter switching with your bank and because its being handled by third party processing centers theres is a possibility that after your input your cards the data on the magnetic strips are read and the pin inputed by you when its send the data for verification and execution on return to complete the execution of teh command there came a hardware failure.

This is just my little experience as a programmer I have come accross payment gateways and remmeber this are done by human like us so they bound to be mistake.

Thanks to GTB that gave u an imediate alert. if the wanted to rip u off they wont alert u , think of that

well better still there should be cross referencing btw GTB and UBA , INterswitch might have to come in ,

sorry to say man u might have to loose that money or GTB might want to just compesiate u depending on ur saving and patronage strengt in the bank,
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by opensource(m): 10:57pm On Aug 01, 2007
could it be that we are facing the ATM skimming which is a popular fraud commited in europe and america .

I cant really understand unless a skimming device in been plotted on our atm that steals users data and a counterfeit card is made , advice always use the wincorf atm cover ur hands over the pinpad when putting ur pin.never use year of birth as pin code

be wise , you worked hard for your money, you should work hard to secure it
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by mrofficial(m): 12:13am On Aug 02, 2007
teddydeji:

mr official or wetin be your name.u will be branded mr ole-cial if u don't report to the nearest bank the mistake made in crediting your account with 30k instead of 15k.
something tells u are an Automated thieving Man a twin brother of the Automated thieving Machine
My account is not running on their fuckin 15,000 naira. They should just REV their 15,000 naira. I don't have the time of reporting myself, that they over credited my account, Damn.
Are you sure that the UBA database is still firm?
Big for Nothing Bank. Hissing
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by otokx(m): 1:36am On Aug 02, 2007
UBA no dey try at all.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by wisemikky(m): 8:43am On Aug 02, 2007
i wudn't want to blast anyone but i think at times we all do have some impatience atitude when it comes to some things, especially lagosians, we rush to wake up in the morning, rush our bath, rush our breakfast if available, rush off with our rides or to a bustop to avoid traffic, rush to the office, conclusively i think we all live a RUSHED life in Lgaos, so this doesn't come as a surprise to me when issues likes this are being talked about.
I am a programmer and most of my tasks are centered around developing backend applications for such transactions and there are what we call "Rollback" and "Savepoints" transactions. when stuffs like this happens, no need to panic; the transanction will eventually be rolled back. trust me, i've experienced it before from a Skye bank ATM using my Oceanic bank debit card. Trust me you will get back your money.

wisemikky
signing out!
+234-7030102157
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Ofuks(m): 9:12am On Aug 02, 2007
Guys!

Sorry about your ATM issue. Most Dispense errors on ATM terminals are usually system related e.g when the internet link is slugish or down or when your banks server unstable or when there is no cash in the ATM there will always be issues. However, it is the way the the acquiring bank (the owner of the ATM) responds to dispense errors when they occur that separates the world class banks from the local banks. The key here is quality of service! The industry standard is that dispense errors should not exceed 24 hours before they are corrected. I know banks that uphold this standard. When you try to draw cash from an ATM and cash is not dispensed but your account is debited, what happens is that the money you requested for is usually thrown into a suspense GL and when you lodge a complaint a spool of that days ATM transaction is done and your money retrieved from the suspense GL and credited back into your account. In some banks the suspense GL is reconciled daily and as long as your money remains in the suspense GL it wont balance, As for the guy who received 30k instead of 15k be rest assured that banks dont lose money just like that, in due time the GL THAT WAS DEBITED TO CREDIT YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE RECONCILED, THE REVERSAL CORRECTED AND YOUR ACCOUNT FORCE DEBITED IF THE BALANCE IN YOUR ACCOUNT IS NOT ENOUGH TO COVER THE EXCESS CREDIT. ha ha,

Warm regards.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by bani(m): 12:37pm On Aug 02, 2007
well, everyone has said their bit, those supporting the bank and all. i started the thread and i have to say i still havent received my money yet, at the branch ive been told 'my issue' angry is being looked into from the head office ive gotten tired of making a scene there, i got a friend at the head office to help me follow up and you can imagine he said he "calls the department in charge and they said they were not aware about such complaint", this was as at tuesday. well he says he is following it up but, this is is more than 14 working days, and you begin to wonder what kind of system we run , and some people here have been saying abt automated responses from these 'thiefs' to such erorrs. what would they say about mine now?
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by ipe: 3:35pm On Aug 02, 2007
I am now very sure that the issues of ATM card is really a source for banks to explot people. I also know of someone that happen even in my present using the same bank (UBA), she try to withdraw 3,000 naira from is account using ATM card. But unfortunately for her after the transaction between the machine, no money was out and the money request as already been withdraw from is account. Immediately the lady rush inside the bank loge the complain, but what they told her is that she should come back the following day. To me i now see that the issue of ATM machine is just a source of steeling especially in Nigeria. I say Nigeria because they have brain for robbery not for good thing at all.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by twinstaiye(m): 4:17pm On Aug 02, 2007
@bani, one of the poster has given you insight on how to solve your problem. email the CBN or better still go to CBN office to lodge complaint, they are regulator of banking industry and I am sure they will listen and solve this problem. No amount is too small to pursue in as much as such amount is yours.
If this fail, go direct to any nearest Public Complaints Commission and lodge a complaint with all the details of the transactions. I am sure all the stress of doing this will worth it, if not for those banks not to think they can do as they wish on any of its customer.
For those who wish to check their ATM balance, you can do so on Interswitch website if you follow this link: https://webpay.interswitchng.com/quickteller. Input all your particulars, and your balance will be display to you instead of having have to go through ATM machines or your bank. What is more, the web link auto refresh all your data after displaying your balance and you wont have to fear that someone can steal your passwords.
As for ATM generally, I think it is worth trying knowing fully well that everything hardly works in this country. But if everyone that has any problem with his/her ATM follow the above means of recovering their money if all efforts with the concerned banks failed, I am sure themselves will not be lacking in their duties.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by owinash(m): 4:44pm On Aug 02, 2007
so i thought it was only me, that this thing has ever happened to,well i belive this issue solud be taken with all urgencies with the right authority's because if it continues one financial institution will be sued and be fined because it is denting the image of nigeria as very fraudulent, because this is a way of extorting money from the average hardworking Nigerian even from the legal institutions which is quite disappointing
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by Carlosein(m): 7:23pm On Aug 02, 2007
well great nairalanders, like many innovations, there are bound to be teething problems, moreso in naija.

so let's bear with these banks and hope they will eventuallly get things right.

but like i said "i no get Automatic Thieving Machine card yet" grin cool cheesy

cos if they chop my money i swear na jazz i go use kill their bank business one time.

which jazz i get sef i hope they believe me sha! undecided undecided
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by omolayoeda(f): 10:25pm On Aug 02, 2007
am so sorry for u , angrybut i think that the bank should take this issue serious because its and solution should be made either by ur bank or the uba. Nigeria needs to see the reality, thing like this don't happend often in us why can't we (Nigeria) copy good thing embarassed. sorry guy i hope that ur bank solve this issue in time remain bless. sad lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by beloved(m): 5:17pm On Aug 03, 2007
na wa ooo embarassed. this is really surprising what is this country turning into, well my guy dont give up fight it 2 d last cos if u dont, thats what dey will b doing 2 people. thanks for alerting us on it take care man.
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by beloved(m): 5:25pm On Aug 03, 2007
i want 2 know if this forex of a thing is really true cos sm ppl hv been talking about it so i want s1 2 really put me thr. thanks
Re: ATMs: Automated Thieving Machines? by jayvin01: 2:05am On Aug 04, 2007
well GTB as it appears to me, it really sucks because i followed a friend to a GTB bank at ijebu where they have no ATM i guess, let me show u how u use ur ATM there,

Go to the cashier, give him/her your ATM card, and they he/she is gonna ask u a question, like, what is yo name, if u get that rite, u are on, shit they didnt even bothered to ask for the pin, what is i went there with someones ATM and i mastered the name? i guess that person don enta konga be that cos i him/her account balance will be unfavourable at the end of the day grin grin, this s**t is true, i am an eye witness of it!!! GTB ATM sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and if you dont believe, just holla at me with your atm, i dont need your code, then 2days after, go and count your blessings on your bank statement grin grin you go hear weih!!! shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Have Serious Raw Gold Buyers In Turkey / How To Start Football Viewing Center / Advice Please, I Have #750k To Set Up A CHEMIST Shop.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.