Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,697 members, 7,831,178 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness (27818 Views)

Igboho, Wife Look Pale In Cotonou Court – Eyewitness / How The Hausa/Yoruba Clash In Shasha Market, Ibadan Started - Eyewitness (Video) / Why Jonathan Stops Us From Rescuing Chibok Girls – David Cameron (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by donprinyo(m): 8:43am On Nov 02, 2021
Aganju849:
Developer was actualy trying to sell the building...smh the bastard knew he did a shoddy job
Small brain
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by jaxxy(m): 8:43am On Nov 02, 2021
bolaayenimo:
“When the police came, they chased us out and didn’t allow us to rescue anyone again; if they had allowed us, we would still have rescued more people.”
igp should probe this

Help should be organized not done randomly
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Annie001: 8:44am On Nov 02, 2021
Very unfortunate incident.
Rain fell yesterday
I just hope there are still people who will survive this
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Timoleon(m): 8:44am On Nov 02, 2021
True.
slimthugchimee2:
People above commenting don't even know the police did the right thing, that place is still very volatile and an untrained personal will definitely make matters worse.

Anywhere in the world the first thing the police do is to seal of the area and wait for rescue teams to do their work.

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by crafteck(m): 8:45am On Nov 02, 2021
slimthugchimee2:
People above commenting don't even know the police did the right thing, that place is still very volatile and an untrained personal will definitely make matters worse.

Anywhere in the world the first thing the police do is to seal of the area and wait for rescue teams to do their work.

Infact I even commend the police for what they did, I am even surprise cause such professionalism is not something you see from Nigerian police

Kudos to them

They possibly wanted to go in and obtain, ur point is extra valid

3 Likes

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Ntipia: 8:45am On Nov 02, 2021
This is what OGA I can do it. Don't mind the engineer he is a thief and expensive he doesn't know what he is doing, Have caused.
Oga my brother is a good engineer and won't collect big money from you. Quacks everywhere. It's in Nigeria that an ordinary Bricklayer claims to be an engineer. More especially Yorubas
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by wisekings: 8:45am On Nov 02, 2021
everything about Nigeria , security, emergency, leadership all useless
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by kvngsax001(m): 8:46am On Nov 02, 2021
[God will help usquote author=nairavsdollars post=107262417]
https://punchng.com/10-die-as-21-storey-building-collapses-in-lagos-designer-warned-of-tragedy/[/quote]
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 02, 2021
slimthugchimee2:

Infact I even commend the police for what they did, I am even surprise cause such professionalism is not something you see from Nigerian police

Kudos to them

Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by nihinlade(m): 8:46am On Nov 02, 2021
They don't use initiatives. I guess they wanted to prevent over crowding and allow professional do the rescue, but in an emergency situation like this there is no professional. While trying to control the crowd they could have allowed some able bodied men inside to help.
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Nezzjnr: 8:46am On Nov 02, 2021
OssyMalik:
Nigeria Police has always been a useless entity since 1960.
In saner countries, the reverse is the case.

Ndi ara
I guess you didn't read

2 Likes

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by mozona(m): 8:47am On Nov 02, 2021
the police again!!
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by alizma: 8:51am On Nov 02, 2021
OssyMalik:
Nigeria Police has always been a useless entity since 1960.
In saner countries, the reverse is the case.

Ndi ara
Don't say what you don't know, which saner countries are you talking about? Many of you will sit back in your village and be calling saner countries that you never know about. Go and find out about those countries you have in mind, you will be shocked to know that you will not be allowed to even go as close as 50metres to the collapse building if you are not a professional in handling such situation and you are here shouting saner countries.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by sapientia(m): 8:52am On Nov 02, 2021
The police did the right thing

Though I can swear they didn't know they did the right thing

It was just their normal harassment of innocent Nigerians

The right thing they did could not bear any fruit because rescue operation by government in Nigeria is non-existent

3 Likes

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by chatinent: 8:52am On Nov 02, 2021
NaijaOlosho:
Foolish Nigerian Police

Foolish?

What they were rescuing were dead people! The police prevented them from adding to the numbers.

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:53am On Nov 02, 2021
Nigerian police
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by zikter(m): 8:55am On Nov 02, 2021
slimthugchimee2:
Is like ignorance is fully embedded in the DNA of Nigerians, a building collapse the whole area is very volatile with people trapped under rubbles, any wrong footing can crush the people under and one idiot wants to carry crowd and go there, Any untrained person there will definetly make matters worse for the people trapped under the rocks.

Nawa

Kudos to them

you are right, the police did a good job by sealing the place. It is for people's safety, base on their statement, they were still climbing up and down the floors. What if the remaining structure collapse again?

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by alizma: 8:58am On Nov 02, 2021
At a time like this, I remember engineer Godwin Chukwu, former Ihitte Uboma LG Chairman, may his soul rest in peace. The man doesn't compromised and the moment you tried to dictate the quality of the work for him, he will quietly hand off and tell you to give the job to someone else.
But this days, an engineer will go behind another to tell the owner of the work how he can help him save more money by using 12mm, promising that it will carry the same load as 16mm, this is the result of such cases. RIP to the dead

4 Likes

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:59am On Nov 02, 2021
Are you a trained rescue operative, or you want to rush in and be a liability.
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Mom007(f): 9:00am On Nov 02, 2021
slimthugchimee2:
Is like ignorance is fully embedded in the DNA of Nigerians, a building collapse the whole area is very volatile with people trapped under rubbles, any wrong footing can crush the people under and one idiot wants to carry crowd and go there, Any untrained person there will definetly make matters worse for the people trapped under the rocks.

Nawa

Kudos to them

Don't mind them. Imagine the whole onlookers on ground being allowed to run amok on a collapsed building site... That will make matters worse, not better. I never thought I would ever utter these words about naija police but they did the right thing.

5 Likes

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 02, 2021
They didn’t allow them enter the collapsed building because it was still a hazard and further collapses were still possible. Beams, pillars and other parts of the building could have still fallen down.

They would have needed to wait for rescue operatives with the proper training and PPE.

That is standard operating procedure. Not everything should be made into a conspiracy.

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Drella(m): 9:02am On Nov 02, 2021
jojo1415:
The yoruba engineer thought he was constructing a brown roof building...as for Nigerian police ehhh!!! Na ogun go kill all of them cry

Yes,they can decide to use a brown color roofing sheet to roof the building when done undecided
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by chikason22(m): 9:03am On Nov 02, 2021
slimthugchimee2:

Nawa

Kudos to them

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by meccuno: 9:04am On Nov 02, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr

Our engineers ehnnnn...

Nothing way them sabi
..electrical engineers na im even worse
Those guys are actually good. I think there are people who want to cut corners

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Euegene100001: 9:04am On Nov 02, 2021
Unfortunately this is nigeria
bolaayenimo:
“When the police came, they chased us out and didn’t allow us to rescue anyone again; if they had allowed us, we would still have rescued more people.”
igp should probe this
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Drella(m): 9:04am On Nov 02, 2021
ethicallyright:
That is the standard practice anywhere in the world.

In America or Europe, the scene would be restricted by yellow tapes and only paramedics, government forces and investigators will work within the confines of the yellow tape to rescue the trapped victims.

When the cause of a building collapse is yet to be ascertained, it is safe to ask members of the public to stay away.

That is if emergency workers who want to rescue the victims are there already.
In this case,only the police had arrived.
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by virginchaser(m): 9:06am On Nov 02, 2021
jojo1415:
The yoruba engineer thought he was constructing a brown roof building...as for Nigerian police ehhh!!! Na ogun go kill all of them cry

What's the beef all about? Please share or is it a way to let out your frustration? That's okay anyway if it will prevent you from suicide attempts.
Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by israelp(m): 9:06am On Nov 02, 2021
slimthugchimee2:

Nawa

Kudos to them

u said it all.,some nigerians m.um.u nr get full stop

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Building Collapse: Police Prevented Us From Rescuing People - Eyewitness by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 02, 2021
Even as at 7pm the stupid soldiers were busy flogging people . I swear that soldier get luck say that stick no touch me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Must Run Far From OBJ If You Want To Succeed As President, Owie Tells Buhari / Victor Umeh At Peter Obi's Residence For Wedding. PICS / Nigerian Airforce Acquires Sophisticated Aircraft To Protect Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.