Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,548 members, 7,827,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie (12650 Views)

Please Can I Join The Programming World With A Smartphone / Into The Programming World / What Are The Programming Languages Required To Make Interesting Cartoons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by miketayo(m): 1:49pm On Feb 07, 2022
sosowater:
Since I have some spare time now due to the nature of my business, I decided to learn web development again last month.

This time, I watched videos on HTML and practised along with the tutors and I can say that I am well grounded in HTML now.

I dedicated 3 weeks in October for HTML with a lot of practice.

On November 1st, I switched to CSS and it has been a great learning experience.

I think watching videos and practicing a lot helps more than just reading books or watching videos withput practice.

I plan to build my first project with just HTML and CSS to test my abilities.

Recommendations, motivation, and valuable criticism are welcomed.

Also, special thanks to tensazangetsu20. The dude really motivates me.

PS: I am starting this journey at my early 30s.

You have started well, but I will advise you go into any javascript framework, (react, Vue, angular js etc). Once u understand HTML and css, don't waste ur time going too deep. For website WordPress is d way (basics in css and php will help) . For Web applications Javascript (react) works for me and I use php laravel for my api / backend.
There are so many templates available already so u won't be writing much HTML/CSS

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Alaefulu(m): 1:49pm On Feb 07, 2022
Bro no ves am quoting You,am interested in this programming of a stuff bit don't know how to Start,i already bought a laptop for this course
airsaylongcome:

My brother, age is not a barrier. I started programming around age 14 on a very antiquated computer. Those ones that were just a keyboard that you connect to a TV and drop into command line. Programmed in QBASIC. Saved the programs on a radio cassette. I was clueles about what I was doing but I was just typing the code from the book I was learning from. Fast forward to University and all I was doing was making sense. I was so good that I wrote my first programming exam 2 hours after coming from club and made an A. Programing I, II and CSC205-Data Structures and Algorithm were a breeze. This was back in the days of Redhat 3 I think. Then I got disillusioned and derailed. At 30 my senses came back and I had to refresh my Programming skills. Programming had migrated to Web Programming with PHP as king. I struggled to get HTML and CSS and PHP /mySQL into the the brain. But old soldier never dies. I went back to my C++ & Java jeje and OOP programming. The joy was undescribable. I have had highs and major lows (lost a job in a major Nigerian Gas Company that was paying ₦1.9m monthly at the time - we are talking years ago when dollar was ₦350). Went in to supply chain management and did Okay. But the pull from computing was too much. Came back into computing mid thirties and I must say I'm okay doing this. Persistence is key. You will overcome Las Las and will look at this learning period with joy.

I'm surprised (and pleased) that MirthOsas is encouraging you. I'm aware he is still learning the ropes and for some reason I like his spirit.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by KangaIye: 1:50pm On Feb 07, 2022
sosowater:
Since I have some spare time now due to the nature of my business, I decided to learn web development again last month.

This time, I watched videos on HTML and practised along with the tutors and I can say that I am well grounded in HTML now.

I think watching videos and practicing a lot helps more than just reading books or watching videos withput practice.

Please recommend a good laptop that will serve well and not too expensive, around 70k to 80k
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Chrislova(m): 1:53pm On Feb 07, 2022
what are the material i will need to start programming pls
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Fireboy02: 1:55pm On Feb 07, 2022
sosowater:

Pls how much can someone use to learn it
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by jarmy: 1:55pm On Feb 07, 2022
[b][/b]
remi1444:
There's a secret I've learnt with styling using CSS. when you want to have a clearer picture of what you're doing, use BORDER: 2px solid black; for the element you're trying to style that way you can see the "result" better. Although this doesn't mean that you will automatically achieve what you set out to achieve.

Keep learning you'll be "frustrated" but just keep at it you'll be fine.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Karmatyra(f): 1:56pm On Feb 07, 2022
I'm a lady and I just started my journey into programming too. I started this year,last month to be precise. Im still on HTML but hopefully I am praying the journey gets smoother for me. Thanks OP for this,it's really encouraging. I'll be following up on this thread and I also look forward to your updates

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by abisoye2(m): 1:57pm On Feb 07, 2022
You are welcome to the right track bro. I finished my CSS flexbox and animations days back. Html is like setting block of a building, css is for beautification and painting while js gives functionality. Hopefully I will proceed to Javascript soon.

Yes you are right, code along as u learn from tutors. That way, u are unsuspectingly building your project. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Shokoloko(f): 2:03pm On Feb 07, 2022
Karmatyra:
I'm a lady and I just started my journey into programming too. I started this year,last month to be precise. Im still on HTML but hopefully I am praying the journey gets smoother for me. Thanks OP for this,it's really encouraging. I'll be following up on this thread and I also look forward to your updates

May God make your path easy.
You sound very level-headed.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by bakesntakes(m): 2:07pm On Feb 07, 2022
Gud

You tired of spending so much money on airtime and data?

Earn free airtime and data by taking surveys.

No payment needed for registration

Follow link in signature and sign up now
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by chigator2: 2:08pm On Feb 07, 2022
Everybody dey famz programming because of success stories like Mark etc.

I laugh.

Get ready to be broke till you breakthrough because the field is competitive.
Only the good dogs eat, Only the best dogs eat to their heart content.

The best guys are not your everyday Joe ( web dev. Fan boys ), they have domain knowledge, people networks and the god level programming skills.

Goodluck sha
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Tbasicme: 2:11pm On Feb 07, 2022
sosowater:
This thread is inspired by the programming diary created by MirthOsas.

I am relatively new to programming. I started learning web development (started with HTML on W3school) in 2018 but my freelancing and ecommerce business could not let me focus coupled with the fact that I found it boring then.

Since this year, I have been nursing the idea of getting into Tech.

I wanted Data science but my mind kept telling me "web development".

Html is a child's play na. Real programming are in categories of Java, angular J's, c#, C++.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Tomahawk99(m): 2:17pm On Feb 07, 2022
Keep it up.
Started my programming journey in 2009.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Tomahawk99(m): 2:17pm On Feb 07, 2022
Tbasicme:

Html is a child's play na. Real programming are in categories of Java, angular J's, c#, C++.

Some truth.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Taiwolee1: 2:20pm On Feb 07, 2022
Wow! I really love this. I started mine early jan and thank God I'm in CSS nw. I pray God almighty help us succeed ijn.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Wurld: 2:21pm On Feb 07, 2022
Alaefulu:
Bro no ves am quoting You,am interested in this programming of a stuff bit don't know how to Start,i already bought a laptop for this course
You didn't quote me but I thought I'd help out since I'm also learning to code.

1) in addition to the laptop you'll need access to internet.
2) programming is very wide, so you should do your research and know which aspect you really want to learn first
3) there are lots of websites dedicated to teaching people how to code for free,even if you're a novice, I use freecodecamp and stackoverflow. So you can check them out and take one of their courses.
4) you'll dedicate a lot of time and I'll advise you to code daily till it becomes a habit.

These are just pointers,I'll let the boss you quoted answer you properly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by thanksjosh005: 2:25pm On Feb 07, 2022
How to CSS! Lol

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by ABCthings: 2:27pm On Feb 07, 2022
What is Html?
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Bobbyjay001(m): 2:28pm On Feb 07, 2022
airsaylongcome:

My brother, age is not a barrier. I started programming around age 14 on a very antiquated computer. Those ones that were just a keyboard that you connect to a TV and drop into command line. Programmed in QBASIC. Saved the programs on a radio cassette. I was clueles about what I was doing but I was just typing the code from the book I was learning from. Fast forward to University and all I was doing was making sense. I was so good that I wrote my first programming exam 2 hours after coming from club and made an A. Programing I, II and CSC205-Data Structures and Algorithm were a breeze. This was back in the days of Redhat 3 I think. Then I got disillusioned and derailed. At 30 my senses came back and I had to refresh my Programming skills. Programming had migrated to Web Programming with PHP as king. I struggled to get HTML and CSS and PHP /mySQL into the the brain. But old soldier never dies. I went back to my C++ & Java jeje and OOP programming. The joy was undescribable. I have had highs and major lows (lost a job in a major Nigerian Gas Company that was paying ₦1.9m monthly at the time - we are talking years ago when dollar was ₦350). Went in to supply chain management and did Okay. But the pull from computing was too much. Came back into computing mid thirties and I must say I'm okay doing this. Persistence is key. You will overcome Las Las and will look at this learning period with joy.

I'm surprised (and pleased) that MirthOsas is encouraging you. I'm aware he is still learning the ropes and for some reason I like his spirit.

Edit (07/02/22): I was wondering why this post written months ago was suddenly getting likes. Thread hit FP lol. Talk that was going on quietly in the Programming section backwaters

I want to venture into programming. Is it advisable I start with HTML or CSS?
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sosowater: 2:32pm On Feb 07, 2022
Nogymmarts:
pls boss, is ur ecommerce website a niche focus or foreign and also are u into POD

Its niche focused targeting nigerians only and recently, I'm entering Ghanaian market soon.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by airsaylongcome: 2:37pm On Feb 07, 2022
Bobbyjay001:

I want to venture into programming. Is it advisable I start with HTML or CSS?

I don't know. A lot of people start of there in an attempt to start a programming career. I would say if it is 100% something you want to do irrespective of whether you earn "big" or not, then go ahead! I often advice people to dive into learning a programming language direct. HTML/CSS are not programming. Learn Python if you ask me

1 Like

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by thanksjosh005: 2:43pm On Feb 07, 2022
ABCthings:
What is Html?

Do you want to learn HTML?

Already you might know HTML as the acronym for Hypertext Markup Language. It's more of a "markup language" rather than programming. Markup here means using HTML tag for coding or building websites.
There are two types of websites:
A. Dynamic
B. Static

Dynamic has to do with those content websites. Dynamic websites change, regulate and update contents as they wish. An example is your Facebook or blogs.

Static, on the other hand, deals with more of a low content. They don't change, regulate or update contents unlike the dynamic type. A good example is a company's official website. To understand static websites more, think of those website with just few pages on them. We can, therefore, differentiate what's and what's not.

* An HTML 5 boilerplate is what you would always starts with when building a website from scratch.
* I used HTML 5 because it's the latest version of HTML.

wink

1 Like

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by zubby80(m): 2:45pm On Feb 07, 2022
Hi guys I'm new also in this whole programming , started with HTML, I'm just a week old , please I'll also like to know if it's possible to learn coding and building a websites under 6months with 1hours study time daily?
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by obokuntravels: 2:46pm On Feb 07, 2022
Please is it a must I got a laptop to learn web developing or can I learn and practise it on my phone. Please honest answer. Also can I found someone here who can tutor me on one on one basis please help a jobless brother
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Alaefulu(m): 3:16pm On Feb 07, 2022
Okay sir thanks very much,God bless for responding, plz we fit connect so we might be chatting so as to also guide where necessary
Wurld:

You didn't quote me but I thought I'd help out since I'm also learning to code.

1) in addition to the laptop you'll need access to internet.
2) programming is very wide, so you should do your research and know which aspect you really want to learn first
3) there are lots of websites dedicated to teaching people how to code for free,even if you're a novice, I use freecodecamp and stackoverflow. So you can check them out and take one of their courses.
4) you'll dedicate a lot of time and I'll advise you to code daily till it becomes a habit.

These are just pointers,I'll let the boss you quoted answer you properly.

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by greenmouse(m): 3:18pm On Feb 07, 2022
register and learn with speed.
visit: www.greenmousetech.com
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Bossman(m): 3:21pm On Feb 07, 2022
You will need a laptop. It's just like saying you want to learn finance/accounting without a calculator. At a minimum, you'll need a basic laptop that will allow you to practice what you learn. For programming you'll need a development environment/platform that you will use to write/compile/test whatever you write.

obokuntravels:
Please is it a must I got a laptop to learn web developing or can I learn and practise it on my phone. Please honest answer. Also can I found someone here who can tutor me on one on one basis please help a jobless brother
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Bossman(m): 3:31pm On Feb 07, 2022
Good move by OP. It's very important to be persistent and stay with it. Programming is not easy, and the consistency is very important.

For those that want to go the Java route, here is a WhatsApp Java group that you can read and post questions to.
/ELxsL1h9RdPGIUKJTzIRij

Add chat dot WhatsApp dot com in front of it. (chat. whatsapp. com) Or just search for the group "Java Republic"

1 Like

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by PapaNnamdi: 3:34pm On Feb 07, 2022
chigator2:
Everybody dey famz programming because of success stories like Mark etc.

I laugh.

Get ready to be broke till you breakthrough because the field is competitive.
Only the good dogs eat, Only the best dogs eat to their heart content.

The best guys are not your everyday Joe ( web dev. Fan boys ), they have domain knowledge, people networks and the god level programming skills.

Goodluck sha

Comrade lower your voice abeg,
I just de scroll through from first page to see who get the gist, belike na only u, the rest dey here dey sing hosanna alleluia I learnt css,
Enter niche go freelance, u go choke wen you see indians with very cheap rate delivering Godmode programming skills,

Op no post again??
Abi JavaScript don do you shit grin grin
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Afonasa(m): 3:38pm On Feb 07, 2022
My problem right now is a good laptop,I have read and understood till CSS but a goofw laptop to continue became my issue....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CODELAGOS: 337 Schools To Participate In Coding Competition / Integrating Your Website With Interswitch Payment Gateway For Beginners / You Would Better Start Programming With Java Or C#

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.