Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,419 members, 7,954,660 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:29 AM

How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? (16100 Views)

Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? / How To Further My Career In Canada With Nigeria HND / Massive Job Loss Looms In The Banking Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by KingAzari: 2:17pm On Nov 08, 2021
Mmr
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 08, 2021
Janeeee:
Good evening guys.

I studied Biochemistry at the University and was recently employed in one of the banks in Nigeria.
I'm not a contract staff so the pay is quite okay for entry level.
Seeing the way most of my mates from school are still struggling to get jobs with our B.Sc Biochem certificate, I know for sure that I'm really lucky to be where I am because the job market in Nigeria is not favourable to my course at all.

Please anyone with prior experience, those that have been in my shoes before, how did you advance in your banking career? What courses can I take? What plans do I make? How many years will you advise I dedicate to different phases in this career?

Please I need as much tips as I can get.
I'm really confused. I love my job and I want to grow but I don't know how to go about it seeing that I studied an entirely different course from what I do now.

Your responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Don't fail INTEGRITY TEST.

That's all.

Nobody go sack you.

Then come to work before 7am daily.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by thatigboman1: 2:19pm On Nov 08, 2021
Op, just get deposits for the bank and u are fine and good.
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by powalez: 2:24pm On Nov 08, 2021
Op, bank na use and dump dem sabi do, I have been a contract staff with access and wetin access use us do ba, na only God go judge them, I haven't found my rthym ever since our unexpected sack, the pay is always good but please be prepared for any eventuality, if u are marketing, its easy growing through deposit and the business u bring to the table is easily noticed but operation, no matter what u do there, you are not easily noticed, you grow when your mates are promoted, just enjoy your stay there and save, bank work no follow, God has been my strength ever since then, but am hoping to get over it and pick up as soon as this week!

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by gidado14(m): 2:33pm On Nov 08, 2021
Janeeee:
Good evening guys.

I studied Biochemistry at the University and was recently employed in one of the banks in Nigeria.
Seeing the way most of my mates from school are still struggling to get jobs with our B.Sc Biochem certificate, I know for sure that I'm really lucky to be where I am because the job market in Nigeria is not favourable to my course at all.

Please anyone with prior experience, those that have been in my shoes before, how did you advance in your banking career? What courses can I take? What plans do I make? How many years will you advise I dedicate to different phases in this career?

I'm really confused. I love my job and I want to grow but I don't know how to go about it seeing that I studied an entirely different course from what I do now.

go for masters in Business Admin and continue moving from 1 bank to another you will be promoted

1 Like

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by ejire042(m): 2:36pm On Nov 08, 2021
Do you think coming for masters in Biochemistry will give you a good chance in the US?
My brother had his first degree in Biochemistry with many years in employment.
What will you advice he should do

BigDawsNet:
sad Chai Biochem degree in the US is like riitualist

You make around $94,490/yr

Mehn...I'm surprised you wanna change career when you should have been searching for a way to migrate through post studies....

Anyway goodluck bro
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Egalitarian1: 2:37pm On Nov 08, 2021
Go for ICAN Full course to become a chartered accountant. Then, come back to thank me later.
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by BigDawsNet: 2:40pm On Nov 08, 2021
ejire042:

Do you think coming for masters in Biochemistry will give you a good chance in the US?
My brother had his first degree in Biochemistry with many years in employment.
What will you advice he should do

I don't think anything bro

I'm giving you a free pass...

If he can get his ass here on studies...let him work towards it

1 Like

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Charly68: 2:48pm On Nov 08, 2021
Go for MBA and qualify yourself as a chattered banker
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by ppogba: 2:53pm On Nov 08, 2021
Go and drill a hole in between your two legs. It will quicken your career growth. More effective than the paper qualifications.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by ojesymsym: 2:58pm On Nov 08, 2021
You can do this, you can do that, which time bankers get to do all these recommendations?

1 Like

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by nolywe(m): 3:05pm On Nov 08, 2021
Find the chemical process of the so many branches of a bank..
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by galantjoe(m): 3:05pm On Nov 08, 2021
Register for ICAN or ACCA
Start your tutorial studies

With this you will improve on accountancy and banking skills
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Aganju849: 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2021
Janeeee:
Good evening guys.

Start ICAN or ACCA exams immediately
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Lumens247: 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2021
Focusmind:
Forget the degree and focus on your career. All those science courses in our universities are waste of time. Nigeria's economy is not productive and diversified to absorb those from natural sciences. I am not discouraging people, but studying natural science courses in Nigeria now is becoming waste of time.

I studied Engineering but couldn't make a breakthrough to secure a place in the oil industry. I got offer with an investment bank, with good starting salary as a trainee after passing the numerous aptitude tests and interviews. I enrolled for ICAN, starting from the foundation papers and qualified. Did masters abroad in finance and have since, became authority in finance and accounting. Currently, I am on my own as a chartered accountant and management consultant.

Science graduates have edge over their art counterparts. As an engineering graduate, we are better placed to pass the aptitude tests because of our strong background in mathematics. Many of my mates that scaled aptitude tests had background in engineering and sciences.

So, learn as much as you could. Go to YouTube and read about your functional area in the bank. You have to put extra efforts. A lot of Bankers majored in disciplines out side the finance and accounting courses.

Lucky you. Once you are able to secure a graduate position in the current Nigeria labor market, just thank your God, as a good career path has been created for you to follow. Those not lucky will be moving from one contract jobs to another; from one low position to another. Please, utilise this opportunity to the fullest. Don't waste it or take it for granted. Use it to build your capacity for the future as learning is a continuous thing.

I am grateful that such path came my way when it did. It is always difficult for people to find their footings in the corporate world once they miss that opportunity of being hired as a graduate trainee in reputable firms like banks or multinational.

Good luck to you!

He should just focus. Get higher qualification(s), learn soft skills like presentation skills/public speaking, Be very visible in his/her team and manage the boss "professionally". Also, have a mentor within or outside the bank.

I read Agric science and made Assistant Manager in less than 8 years of banking........

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by bigpicture001: 3:12pm On Nov 08, 2021
If ur satisfied with were u are then go for more certificate in the bizness courses...

But ur course bio chem is even very lucrative abroad.. why not seek scholarship on ur course.. u will get
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by ReeLoaDead(m): 3:16pm On Nov 08, 2021
Once you are in the bank, your base degree does not matter. Focus instead on the specific skills you need in your department/group and engage positively with your bosses and colleagues … while working hard of course.
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by chloride6: 3:21pm On Nov 08, 2021
cheesy
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by GafaarDeGreat(m): 3:40pm On Nov 08, 2021
Janeeee:
Good evening guys.

Go for more professional courses
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by janvier27(m): 3:45pm On Nov 08, 2021
Follow this order:
First, establish and maintain contacts that will assure you of regular, good deposits
Second, get professional qualification like ACA, ACCA, CIBN
When you're getting up there, obtain M.Sc. & Ph.D. for self actualization & also to widen your options as you prepare for the labour market
I assume you have integrity & team spirit. Then pray against alakoba all the way.
Best wishes.
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Asour: 3:51pm On Nov 08, 2021
My opinion- You should not just take it but think through - is that you don't remain in Commercial banking.

Commercial banking, unless you are sure of steady promotions is a commoditized career.

I would have said you should get a CIBN or ICAN but even that may not help if you stay too long in general banking. Unless if you are in a specialized function in a bank, the [technical] skills are hardly transferable. Specialized functions include: Legal,IT, HR, Treasury, Internal Audit/Risk or Accounts. These roles have equivalents in non-banking companies.

If you want to remain in Financial services Industry(but outside banking) Take CFA or CiiA (if CFA is expensive).

Funny enough, I find your industry very lucrative.
The Reckitt benkisers, J&Js, Unilever, PZ, Freslands etc. would not exist without good biochemists.
branding/Marketing spend are the difference between these guys & Nigerian brands. So don't cancel out going back — quickly too.

Financial services — Commercial banking— can become a very HOLLOW & Vapid industry. and when you're stuck it becomes hard to change.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by airsaylongcome: 3:57pm On Nov 08, 2021
dawnomike:
get your ICAN or ACCA certifications... Then ensure you do not stay put in one bank, move from one bank to the other over time (to a higher position).

Flesh and blood did not reveal this "prostitution" move to you. Never stay for too long in one bank. On your day 1, start having an exit strategy. After 24 to 30 months, start job hunting. 36months after, Move
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by airsaylongcome: 3:58pm On Nov 08, 2021
sammirano2:
Na una no let accountants and bankers see job for the sector. Which kind country be this one? Biochem for bank. Nigeria is AiregiN.

What will you now say about IT where everyone dey rush enter now?
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Useku(m): 4:00pm On Nov 08, 2021
sammirano2:
Na una no let accountants and bankers see job for the sector. Which kind country be this one? Biochem for bank. Nigeria is AiregiN.

Nobody hold you make you no enter bank!

If you meet the requirements of mostly 2;1 at the right age and you are able to pass Gmat, then you are in.

No blame science guys wey blast test abeg!

1 Like

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Asour: 4:02pm On Nov 08, 2021
sammirano2:

There's no relationship between banking & Accountancy.

An accountant can function in organizations as diverse as UN, NGOs, SpaceX & FCMG companies.

Actually the way many look at Accountancy & Banking surprises me at times like they are one.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by airsaylongcome: 4:03pm On Nov 08, 2021
Focusmind:
Forget the degree and focus on your career. All those science courses in our universities are waste of time. Nigeria's economy is not productive and diversified to absorb those from natural sciences. I am not discouraging people, but studying natural science courses in Nigeria now is becoming waste of time.

I studied Engineering but couldn't make a breakthrough to secure a place in the oil industry. I got offer with an investment bank, with good starting salary as a trainee after passing the numerous aptitude tests and interviews. I enrolled for ICAN, starting from the foundation papers and qualified. Did masters abroad in finance and have since, became authority in finance and accounting. Currently, I am on my own as a chartered accountant and management consultant.

Science graduates have edge over their art counterparts. As an engineering graduate, we are better placed to pass the aptitude tests because of our strong background in mathematics. Many of my mates that scaled aptitude tests had background in engineering and sciences.

So, learn as much as you could. Go to YouTube and read about your functional area in the bank. You have to put extra efforts. A lot of Bankers majored in disciplines out side the finance and accounting courses.

Lucky you. Once you are able to secure a graduate position in the current Nigeria labor market, just thank your God, as a good career path has been created for you to follow. Those not lucky will be moving from one contract jobs to another; from one low position to another. Please, utilise this opportunity to the fullest. Don't waste it or take it for granted. Use it to build your capacity for the future as learning is a continuous thing.

I am grateful that such path came my way when it did. It is always difficult for people to find their footings in the corporate world once they miss that opportunity of being hired as a graduate trainee in reputable firms like banks or multinational.

Good luck to you!

I'm surprised you'd say this. Engineering grads are hot cake in Finance industry because they already have the foundation in mathematics. Pivoting that knowledge to finance is especially easy for them. So NO, a degree in the numerate disciplines, especially Engineering is never a waste. The other day I was looking at some investment optimization spreadsheet and all I could see there was variance and standard deviations... Then I laughed and wondered why people say the stuff they learned in Stats and Calculus have no real life use

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by sammirano2: 4:05pm On Nov 08, 2021
Useku:

Nobody hold you make you no enter bank!

If you meet the requirements of mostly 2;1 at the right age and you are able to pass Gmat, then you are in.

No blame science guys wey blast test abeg!
embarassed which test demblast? So banking is about all that? Na una no go ever let Nig banks reach that level. Go to Goldman Sachs or BOA and see what is called banking. Biochem for bank? Naija
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by tomzyELNINO: 4:07pm On Nov 08, 2021
Get CIBN, CISB (stockbrokers) or ICAN ceRtification with part time MBA.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Yankee101: 4:17pm On Nov 08, 2021
Are you in operations, Marketing or Support Services (corporate)?
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by yetunsbay(m): 4:19pm On Nov 08, 2021
Asour:

There's no relationship between banking & Accountancy.

An accountant can function in organizations as diverse as UN, NGOs, SpaceX & FCMG companies.

Actually the way many look at Accountancy & Banking surprises me at times like they are one.
Yes yet there exists relationship btw both

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications / Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? / Nnpc Recruitment For Fresh Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.