Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,188 members, 7,953,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:51 PM

How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? (16090 Views)

Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? / How To Further My Career In Canada With Nigeria HND / Massive Job Loss Looms In The Banking Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by seunfape(m): 1:08pm On Nov 09, 2021
sammirano2:
Na una no let accountants and bankers see job for the sector. Which kind country be this one? Biochem for bank. Nigeria is AiregiN.
backward indeed.
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by seunfape(m): 1:10pm On Nov 09, 2021
You go they study female course in university... Shio
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by arthurwillia(m): 10:49pm On Nov 09, 2021
gwinaB:

He should check accounting firms or any organisation that needs accountants. They are usually many. If he is on telegram, he can join amazin careers, BizMate, Epicrich etc. They always share vacancies.

Ok thanks a lot brother
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by snapdragon00: 9:15pm On Jan 09, 2022
Asour:
My opinion- You should not just take it but think through - is that you don't remain in Commercial banking.

Commercial banking, unless you are sure of steady promotions is a commoditized career.

I would have said you should get a CIBN or ICAN but even that may not help if you stay too long in general banking. Unless if you are in a specialized function in a bank, the [technical] skills are hardly transferable. Specialized functions include: Legal,IT, HR, Treasury, Internal Audit/Risk or Accounts. These roles have equivalents in non-banking companies.

If you want to remain in Financial services Industry(but outside banking) Take CFA or CiiA (if CFA is expensive).

Funny enough, I find your industry very lucrative.
The Reckitt benkisers, J&Js, Unilever, PZ, Freslands etc. would not exist without good biochemists.
branding/Marketing spend are the difference between these guys & Nigerian brands. So don't cancel out going back — quickly too.

Financial services — Commercial banking— can become a very HOLLOW & Vapid industry. and when you're stuck it becomes hard to change.

Wow i found your comment useful. My situation and the OP is 95percent the same but i'm a graduate of chemistry. I will like to remain in the financial services industry but i don't want to continue in a bank. I don't like the accounting path so i dont intend to do ICAN and the rest. I've heard about CFA but i have some concerns. I only want to do my masters abroad and if possible through scholarship as i am ready to put in the work. Please what is the possibility of doing my CFA fulltime in canada on scholarship? since CFA is not like a masters degree. I do not intend to remain abroad after my program. Ive also heard about MBA but i dont know which is better between the two. Also what other advices do you have for me sir?
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Asour: 8:39am On Jan 10, 2022
snapdragon00:

Wow i found your comment useful. My situation and the OP is 95percent the same but i'm a graduate of chemistry. I will like to remain in the financial services industry but i don't want to continue in a bank. I don't like the accounting path so i dont intend to do ICAN and the rest. I've heard about CFA but i have some concerns. I only want to do my masters abroad and if possible through scholarship as i am ready to put in the work. Please what is the possibility of doing my CFA fulltime in canada on scholarship? since CFA is not like a masters degree. I do not intend to remain abroad after my program. Ive also heard about MBA but i dont know which is better between the two. Also what other advices do you have for me sir?

The CFA almost never grants scholarships.
It is a US professional finance certification.

The best I know of is that if you do your masters (in Finance) in a CFA partner institution (like the HSE university, Moscow, Russia), you can get some exemptions (in exams) & thus can finish your CFA quicker than a regular student.

Note that the CFA is quite an expensive (& demanding) certification. It's not just a walk in the park. Each level typically requires about 300 studying hours. There are about 3 (increasingly tough)levels.

You could consider the CIIA (Certified institute of Investment Analyst) too. It's essentially a swiss finance certification. A direct European equivalent to the CFA. It's not as reputable in the USA or globally as the CFA though. But it's great.

Masters is a great option too, if you're not fixated on the US & North America, consider lesser known countries (schools) like Switzerland, Russia, Belgium , Germany & Austria too. Fish for good schools like :
ETH Zurich, USI, Lugano or University of Geneva, HSE University, Moscow, St Petersburg state University, KU Leuven, TU Munich or TU Wien.

I myself plan setting out on a masters in any of these.

Always prioritize the substance of the course you're studying. You want something employable & rich.

Cheers.
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by snapdragon00: 9:49pm On Jan 11, 2022
Asour:

The CFA almost never grants scholarships.
It is a US professional finance certification.

The best I know of is that if you do your masters (in Finance) in a CFA partner institution (like the HSE university, Moscow, Russia), you can get some exemptions (in exams) & thus can finish your CFA quicker than a regular student.

Note that the CFA is quite an expensive (& demanding) certification. It's not just a walk in the park. Each level typically requires about 300 studying hours. There are about 3 (increasingly tough)levels.

You could consider the CIIA (Certified institute of Investment Analyst) too. It's essentially a swiss finance certification. A direct European equivalent to the CFA. It's not as reputable in the USA or globally as the CFA though. But it's great.

Masters is a great option too, if you're not fixated on the US & North America, consider lesser known countries (schools) like Switzerland, Russia, Belgium , Germany & Austria too. Fish for good schools like :
ETH Zurich, USI, Lugano or University of Geneva, HSE University, Moscow, St Petersburg state University, KU Leuven, TU Munich or TU Wien.

I myself plan setting out on a masters in any of these.

Always prioritize the substance of the course you're studying. You want something employable & rich.

Cheers.

Thanks for the response. I'm not fixated on the US i just want a reputable masters degree abroad, i'm also not in a haste as I cannot afford it. This is why i'm willing to work hard and go on scholarship at least one that covers tuition... Which masters program do you think will put me on track to achieve my career goals ?
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Asour: 8:34am On Jan 12, 2022
snapdragon00:

Thanks for the response. I'm not fixated on the US i just want a reputable masters degree abroad, i'm also not in a haste as I cannot afford it. This is why i'm willing to work hard and go on scholarship at least one that covers tuition... Which masters program do you think will put me on track to achieve my career goals ?

Again it depends.

A good start to getting a masters scholarship is to get a good GRE result. Combining this with a good first degree (High 2:1) & a convincing motivation letter + research interests topics can land you a good masters in your related fields.

See Victor Agboga's YouTube channel.

If you want an interdisciplinary masters (i.e. move away from your UG field), then Finance & IT are good options.

In Europe, check HSE university, Moscow, Polish universities also give scholarships & German schools are quite cheap but require funds in lien for studies to be approved.

Cheers.
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by snapdragon00: 9:45pm On Jan 12, 2022
Asour:

Again it depends.

A good start to getting a masters scholarship is to get a good GRE result. Combining this with a good first degree (High 2:1) & a convincing motivation letter + research interests topics can land you a good masters in your related fields.

See Victor Agboga's YouTube channel.

If you want an interdisciplinary masters (i.e. move away from your UG field), then Finance & IT are good options.

In Europe, check HSE university, Moscow, Polish universities also give scholarships & German schools are quite cheap but require funds in lien for studies to be approved.

Cheers.

I appreciate you sir
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by kakgee: 3:01pm On Feb 12, 2022
Great contributions guys� please who can assist me with study materials for the new CIBN syllabus (Fintech and Finance in the global market specificallyt) . T for thanks
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by slydog(m): 12:02am On Jun 27, 2022
slydog:

I love this response. As a banker myself, this is the best response so far.
December next year will make me 9 years in the banking industry. Withing this period I have earned a masters and PhD degree. My anticipated checked out from banking is March next year. I'm also pursuing the Canadian dream.
My advise, give yourself a target of say 3 to five years, write the goals u want to achieve. Education? Very important to prepare yourself for the future. I pursued a PhD so that at the worse I become a lecturer or hunt govt appointment. This has also enabled me chase the Canadian dream,lol.
So plan. With fintech and the telecom giants going into financial services, trust me jobs in Bank will become even more u secured (its not even secured even at its best moment)
Banking should be your launching pad. Trust me, you will become a Professor far far far far more faster than growing from an entry level to become an AGM, DGM, GM, ED, and CEO.
Lemme give u an idea check from your ET level to a full manager level, check the number of levels, you'll get what I mean. Except you have someone giving 1bn deposit, I doubt u can climb higher every year in banking. It's been 9 years for me, just one promotion. But I'm happy with my degrees cos it's only a matter of time, tick tok

Nice advice I gave here.
Just landed in Canada early this month. Looking for university lecturing jobs and also banking jobs. The first banking interview I did had a pay of CAD75,000 per year, would have been a great start, didn't get the job though, we moveee

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them / ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications / Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.