Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census - Politics (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census (35996 Views)

Tinubu Bans Political Groups In Lagos As War With Aregbesola Worsens Over 2023 / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Americans Debate The Most Popular African Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by holicupp(m): 9:22pm On Nov 16, 2021
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Shaolin77: 6:02am On Nov 17, 2021
Dsalvo:

N1tw1t. Spambot banned me. Glad to note you IPOBians missed me. I am back now to dish out more pain. cool
their are more igbo in usa than anyother niherian tribn, relead the pictorial fact and my previous comments, if you have common sense
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by wiseoneking: 6:06am On Nov 17, 2021
scholes0:
Of the various African languages spoken in U.S Households, only a handful were statistically significant enough to obtain discrete codes and statistical representation. Of the West African languages represented, some such as Yoruba, Igbo and Wolof are stand alone languages, while others such as Edoid, Gbe and Manding languages are linguistic groupings of similar languages. The following are the 10 largest West African languages spoken in America. The big 3 are:

Yoruba - 149,358
Akan Languages (Incl. Twi) - 141,583
Igbo - 94,788

The other 7 represented languages are:

Manding Languages - 30,381
Wolof - 26,255
Fulah - 18,563
Kabuverdianu - 18,451
Gbe Languages - 17,212
Edoid Languages - 16,699
Ga - 10,542

[img]http:///65535/51673284069_a95dd1b21e_b_d.jpg[/img]
Source: https://data.census.gov/mdat/#/search?ds=ACSPUMS1Y2019&rv=LANP&wt=PWGTP
This is different from the population of either Igbo or Yoruba but language spoken at home. If we go by above to use it to justify that yorubas are higher than the igbos, that means out of 462 thousand plus Nigerian in United States from the statistics, only 149 thousand that speaks yorubas are actually the population of yorubas in United States. How about other 300k population? Here, it is purely talking about language spoken at home and not the population of tribes per se. It is easier to see and recognize a Yoruba person in United States both in the common use of Yoruba and in their appearance but I observed Igbo born look more like typical African American in appearance and less likely likely to speak Igbo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Shaolin77: 6:11am On Nov 17, 2021
Putindbutt:

Demographics change but not as dramatic in less than 8 years, considering controlled migration into the US. Nevertheless, the baseless screenshot from the slowpoke has been bursted to be data for residency registration.
relead the pictorial fact i presented, they clearly state that IGBOS ARE THE MOST DOMINANT ETHNIC GROUP IN TERMS OF NIGERIAN RESIDENTS IN US, WHY THAT OF THIS TOPIC IS strictly BASED ON LANGUAGE spoken in different household
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 6:13am On Nov 17, 2021
Eboe made facts from Aba
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Shaolin77: 6:21am On Nov 17, 2021
wiseoneking:
This is different from the population of either Igbo or Yoruba but language spoken at home. If we go by above to use it to justify that yorubas are higher than the igbos, that means out of 462 thousand plus Nigerian in United States from the statistics, only 149 thousand that speaks yorubas are actually the population of yorubas in United States. How about other 300k population? Here, it is purely talking about language spoken at home and not the population of tribes per se. It is easier to see and recognize a Yoruba person in United States both in the common use of Yoruba and in their appearance but I observed Igbo born look more like typical African American in appearance and less likely likely to speak Igbo.
this is what i've been telling those slowpoke, i even presented fact that states in terms of nigerian residing in usa, igbos are the most dominant group
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 6:44am On Nov 17, 2021
Aba made logic
Where is the evidence that all Nigerians or even Americans or any other group TAKE PART in a census of that the figure of Nigerans cited officially is from census data

Census enumeration is self report

Total population is based on additional information such as documented migrants either with a green card , student or other visa.
So whilst one may argue that the numbers do not represent everyone the reality is they never do in any census any where.

There is no logical way to then interject the asinine argument that those not captured are Igbos who do not teach their children Igbo

That can only make sense in an Eboe head

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Putindbutt: 8:48am On Nov 17, 2021
aribisala0:
Aba made logic
Where is the evidence that all Nigerians or even Americans or any other group TAKE PART in a census of that the figure of Nigerans cited officially is from census data

Total population is based on additional information such as documented migrants either with a green card , student or other visa.
So whilst one may argue that the numbers do not represent everyone the reality is they never do in any census any where.

There is no logical way to then interject the asinine argument that those not captured are Igbos who do not teach their children Igbo

Aba-made IQ.

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 17, 2021
aribisala0:
Aba made logic

Don't mind them. In the absence of specific data we can use other available and relevant collated data to make informed and logical judgement.

What no reasonable or intelligent person should do is to make unfounded conclusions based on personal opinion, baseless assumptions and 'dem say dem say' logic.

Yorubas hardly do that but such seems a way of life for desperado Igbos who are always happy to revise history fraudulently , lie shamelessly and make wild claims.

7 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by aribisala0(m): 10:57am On Nov 17, 2021
A questionnaire/form arrives in the post from the census authority to a household with dad, mum and 3 children.

1. Who completes the form , dad or mum or the children?
2. One of the questions is language(s) other than English spoken in the household

What we are being asked to believe is that in Households with Yoruba parents the parent write Yoruba on the form but in Eboe households they write(none)

Very funny

Here some jokers are talking about fluency

The reality is that ONE PERSON completes the form for EACH HOUSEHOLD

So why would the heads or(completer of the form) in Eboe households underreport the language spoken in their households based on "fluency" as we are being asked to believe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Frenchkiss564: 11:10am On Nov 17, 2021
There was a time the Nigerian Immigration service released the percentage of Nigerians with international passport, South West led in a long shot.

I'm not really surprised with this stat

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Factshunter: 11:55am On Nov 17, 2021
Frenchkiss564:
There was a time the Nigerian Immigration service released the percentage of Nigerians with international passport, South West led in a long shot.

I'm not really surprised with this stat

That's true. I think I have the info. grin

Source: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/more-doctors-to-leave-nigeria-as-covid-19-gets-worse-in-usa.html

But besides being a national identification and travel data, this indicates travel source states or regular departure points of most Nigerians. A breakdown of passports issued between 2014 and 2018 showed that the South-West has the highest number, at 650,958 new passports issued.

Lagos has the highest number (1,264,528), followed by Oyo (233,004), Ogun (166,920), Osun (109,016), Ondo (91,161) and Ekiti (50,857). The South-South came second, with Edo topping at 172,435 new passports.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Frenchkiss564: 3:53pm On Nov 17, 2021
Factshunter:

That's true. I think I have the info. grin

Hahaha

The top 6 states are even south west states.

Facts don't lie

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 6:16pm On Nov 17, 2021
unshakablejihad:

u can feel the hit. his name has been archived in the Uk. his biography speaks for himself. grin grin

I know it must really be hard for you. the vast majority of your ancestors shipped off as slaves amounted to nothing, little was known about them because they lack the intellectual capacity or bravery to free themselves from slavery. to-date Olaudah Equiano and all other Igbos who shapes the world view are being celebrated and statues erected in honour of them. I'm yet to see any Yoruba man from the 19th century celebrated abroad either for his bravery or impact. classless Afonja wild apes.

sink this deep into your head, before a Yoruba man could spell, read or pronounce Olaniyi an Igbo man already did and that is greatness. grin

But it was a Yoruba man Ajayi and his son that translated the English bible to ibo, as his contribution to civilizing the savage tribe

6 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by unshakablejihad: 7:48pm On Nov 17, 2021
Ovamboland:

But it was a Yoruba man Ajayi and his son that translated the English bible to ibo, as his contribution to civilizing the savage tribe

it was a colossal failure. Ajayi didn't do shit.

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Putindbutt: 8:28pm On Nov 17, 2021
unshakablejihad:

Civilization of ibo tribe is never complete without Ajayi. He made ibo conform to mid civilization.

3 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by unshakablejihad: 10:22pm On Nov 17, 2021
Putindbutt:

[s]Civilization of ibo tribe is never complete without Ajayi. He made ibo conform to mid civilization.
[/s]

Capish! grin
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 10:27pm On Nov 17, 2021
unshakablejihad:

Why post caption instead of the real story, source and link?

Are you hiding your ipobian source?

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by unshakablejihad: 10:49pm On Nov 17, 2021
plaindealer:

Why post caption instead of the real story, source and link?

Are you hiding your ipobian source?

plain- idiot. The missionaries assembled a group of native Africans led by a man named Schoen to master the Igbo language after they discovered that it would be effective to do missionary work with Africans than Europeans.

the group assembled, Simon Jonas & Christopher Taylors who spoke Igbo dialect called Isuoma, which was only spoken in Sierra Leone by
ex-slaves.

The Igbo in the Primer and that which Crowther was familiar with was a failure when they reach Igboland as the natives did not understand them, they didn't understand the natives, and natives cited they weren't Igbo speakers.

The dialect was only spoken among former slaves of Igbo descent in S.leone and had been several adulterated over generations.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00fwp/igbo/igbohistory.html

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 11:03pm On Nov 17, 2021
unshakablejihad:

plain- idiot. The missionaries assembled a group of native Africans led by a man named Schoen to master the Igbo language after they discovered that it would be effective to do missionary work with Africans than Europeans.

the group assembled, Simon Jonas & Christopher Taylors who spoke Igbo dialect called Isuoma, which was only spoken in Sierra Leone by
ex-slaves.

The Igbo in the Primer and that which Crowther was familiar with was a failure when they reach Igboland as the natives did not understand them, they didn't understand the natives, and natives cited they weren't Igbo speakers.

The dialect was only spoken among former slaves of Igbo descent in S.leone and had been several adulterated over generations.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00fwp/igbo/igbohistory.html

Sources: Louis Nnamdi Oraka, The Foundations of Igbo Studies

Rubbish, typical ipob source.

What's this rubbish got to do with the topic, anyways?

3 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by unshakablejihad: 11:08pm On Nov 17, 2021
plaindealer:

weak come-back as usual. u can go and wail in peace. your Crowther jagbajantis isuama was a failure. cool
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Factshunter: 11:48pm On Nov 17, 2021
plaindealer:

grin grin grin
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ThickSharon123(f): 2:12am On Nov 22, 2021
TAO11:
Being ethnically Igbo is one thing, being able to speak Igbo is another thing.

I’m shocked that some of our brothers from the east are pretending to be unaware of this difference.

The data is simply about the ethnicity, not about the ability to speak the language.

Whether you (can) speak Igbo or not, you are Igbo if you are Igbo.

Stop the childish excuses. You’re not that much in ‘the abroad’. Simple as A-B-C.

LegendHero.

Babe, I love you jhoor. You know what I call you here. "Benin fear." grin grin

God would continue to bless and fortify you. One thing I love about you, is truth, you don't paddle with sentiments, straight to the point with facts. Not forgetting to give it hot, hot.

If we could meet, I surely know we would be best friends. grin. I feel the vibe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 10:03pm On Nov 24, 2021
Ekealterego:

That's fine...and you are paying a higher price. You are at the very bottom of what human life represents.

Actions have consequences, think before you act and gracefully bear the results of your actions. Blaming others when results of your actions come is evidence of a savage backward culture.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by SonOfEl(m): 5:37pm On Nov 26, 2021
kingawothefirst:

You sound pained. Osu people shouldn’t speak when free-borns are talking. I refuse to acknowledge you, you are forever a slave both in this country and abroad. Stay out of my mentions.

We control Lagos economy. That's why we give tinubu heartache.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 11:06am On Nov 27, 2021

Oduduwa, ogiso, orammiyan, obatala...all fairytales.
The fact you guys don't know this shows you are toddlers.

What of Adam and Eve story true or fairy tales?
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 11:37am On Nov 27, 2021
plaindealer:

God Bless Asiwaju Tinubu...

grin grin

Why are you stealing Ibo achievement, Mazi Bola Tinubuchukwu is our son grin grin
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 12:51pm On Nov 27, 2021
SonOfEl post=10763440

0:

You will NEVER see yoruba achievements in igbolands be it Asaba, Onitsha, Aba, Enugu, Owerri, etc but you would see igbo achievements in lagos, Ibadan, etc despite igbos building their own homelands with little or no federal support.

Shame on these Yoruba losers

You mean your states don't get federal allocations like others or you don't know how to use your own share?
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 1:15pm On Nov 27, 2021
SonOfEl:

Really? God I'm so bored....

Please I'm tired.....i have done it severally for years on this forum....... What is lagos chief revenue earner? TAX AND LEVIES FROM SEAPORTS, AIRPORTS, MARKETS, AND PRIVATE VENTURES

Go to Apapa shipping ports, check out the majority of importers and exporters, Go to the markets be it Aspamda, Oshodi, Ladipo, TejuoshoYaba, Ojuwoye, Alaba. Go to Okota-Cele-Festac-Ojo Axis and see the property owners there.

What about Emzor, Coscharis, SLOT, Fidelity, UBA, Access, Ekenedilichukwu, Ifesinachi, ABC, Young Shall Grow, to mention but a few? What property owners in Lekki axis?

I have not even mentioned numerous hospitals, schools, and informal (fairly used products ventures), or prestigious private institution like Lagos Business School.......

I have not mentioned business executives running multinationals like MTN, NIGERIA BREWERIES, etc

Oga i am tired.... Do your research

Please stop deluding yourself into thinking lagos was a yoruba miracle....igbo played a major role both politically, socially and economically

Youre very ignorant, which Seaport or Airport levies goes into Lagos state account? Is it not shared among all the states?

Don't you have markets and private ventures in your states? Whose fault if you fail to raise revenue from them if they truly exist.

Did you not claim you're all entrepreneurs and competitive? Why is it not showing in your state IGR the way it's seen in Lagos, SW and other developed societies? Another lie spotted.

It's not SW fault you failed to create investment destination in your states. You can't be close minded and hostile to investors and salivate over the returns going to those who are investment friendly and welcoming.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 2:12pm On Nov 27, 2021
Shaolin77:
You've been Brainwashed with this propaganda, this is why i always say Yoruba's don't have sense, they can easily be deceived, they believe anything you throw to them without asking questions, thinking deep, and making research

Yes from the way Yoruba are following Kanu and funding his Fendi lifestyle
He would say Buhari is cloned, then hes a body double from Sudan, tomorrow he is from Niger and all of them believe anything he says

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by SonOfEl(m): 7:38pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ovamboland:

Youre very ignorant, which Seaport or Airport levies goes into Lagos state account? Is it not shared among all the states?

Don't you have markets and private ventures in your states? Whose fault if you fail to raise revenue from them if they truly exist.

Did you not claim you're all entrepreneurs and competitive? Why is it not showing in your state IGR the way it's seen in Lagos, SW and other developed societies? Another lie spotted.

It's not SW fault you failed to create investment destination in your states. You can't be close minded and hostile to investors and salivate over the returns going to those who are investment friendly and welcoming.

You keep displaying this i-too-know attitude that eventually shames you.

The money shared among states comes mainly from oil export, not from internally generated revenue. Lagos state government also collect levies from port and port-related activities. See this ignoramus trying to sound informed. Businesses run by igbos in lagos is due to the infrastructure already put in place during the lagos capital status era, so stop shouting.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by SonOfEl(m): 7:40pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ovamboland:

You mean your states don't get federal allocations like others or you don't know how to use your own share?

Please argue intelligently and stop seeking for notice. What you posted here doesnt make any sense.

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (Reply)

2016 budget of fraud: Inside The Massive FRAUD In Buhari’s Budget.-premium Times / Keyamo Calls For Release Of Videographer Behind Delta Viral SARS Video / President Buhari’s Daughter, Zahra Gushes Over Husband On Birthday (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.