Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,074 members, 7,957,004 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:06 AM

Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census - Politics (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census (38390 Views)

Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Americans Debate The Most Popular African Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 6:34am On Nov 29, 2021
Shaolin77:
Legendhero their are more Igbo in USA than anyother Nigerian tribe, make ur research very well, or else you're talking about ppl that most widely speak their language, then Yoruba's lead in this category

You can ask ppl of their experience or go into finding yourself

So an Ibo born in USA will fill English or Yoruba when asked about other languages spoken or ancestry?

2 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 6:38am On Nov 29, 2021
plaindealer:

Instead of you worrying about your poor SE, the poorest region in Nigeria, you are lamenting over me talking about the world's largest single train refinery in the world right here in the SW.

Nna, your priorities are so screwed up.

I hope you sat at home today sha, dem ipob terrorists don't take it lightly when you don't sit at home, they've killed many igbo people so be very careful...

grin grin

IGR in SW will soon explode as the refinery starts next year, the usual suspects will claim they are responsible for the increased IGR
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 6:59am On Nov 29, 2021
Chinachriss:
To explain better, China is the most populous country in the world with over 1.4 billion people but Chinese official language (Mandarin) isn't the most spoken in the world. English is. Why? Because of British aggressive colonisation that helped English spread to the nook and cranny of the world. It's rather surprising that English native speakers aren't even 1/3 of Chinese native speakers.

Are you saying Yoruba colonized ibos so much that a large section of ibos speak yoruba ?
And what data indicates that 200k other Nigerian groups not classed as Ibo, Yoruba or Edo are mainly ibos beyond your feeling?

2 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 7:04am On Nov 29, 2021
Chinachriss:
Yes you did but later obfuscated me with the above.

Language spoken and ancestry, how? Not in all cases please. I can speak Ibibio and some Yoruba but I'm Igbo. Speaking a language doesn't define one's ancestry.

So if a form ask for local language spoken, you'll full Yoruba or Ibibio?
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 7:07am On Nov 29, 2021
Shaolin77:
how is pushing drug a crime or offense to anybody,did they force the drug on anybody or are they the one's producing and abuse

You keep giving your people a horrible name with this thinking. Your famed republic will be an outlaw haven. You have no regard for law and order
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 8:30am On Nov 29, 2021
Chinachriss:

You're the one obfuscating issues and being asinine here. The data captures languages most spoken and not ancestry. Anybody can be fluent in either Yoruba/Igbo without necessarily being from both regions. I'm not dragging anything with you guys abeg. Just stating the obvious facts. Until a comprehensive data that captures the total number of Nigerian ethnic groups residing in America, then we can properly conclude. Now, it's tentative. Yoruba is not the most populous neither Igbos too.

Still hiding behind one finger
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 8:43am On Nov 29, 2021
grin
wiseoneking:
This is different from the population of either Igbo or Yoruba but language spoken at home. If we go by above to use it to justify that yorubas are higher than the igbos, that means out of 462 thousand plus Nigerian in United States from the statistics, only 149 thousand that speaks yorubas are actually the population of yorubas in United States. How about other 300k population? Here, it is purely talking about language spoken at home and not the population of tribes per se. It is easier to see and recognize a Yoruba person in United States both in the common use of Yoruba and in their appearance but I observed Igbo born look more like typical African American in appearance and less likely likely to speak Igbo.

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 8:53am On Nov 29, 2021
unshakablejihad:

plain- idiot. The missionaries assembled a group of native Africans led by a man named Schoen to master the Igbo language after they discovered that it would be effective to do missionary work with Africans than Europeans.

the group assembled, Simon Jonas & Christopher Taylors who spoke Igbo dialect called Isuoma, which was only spoken in Sierra Leone by
ex-slaves.

The Igbo in the Primer and that which Crowther was familiar with was a failure when they reach Igboland as the natives did not understand them, they didn't understand the natives, and natives cited they weren't Igbo speakers.

The dialect was only spoken among former slaves of Igbo descent in S.leone and had been several adulterated over generations.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00fwp/igbo/igbohistory.html

Why was Equaino not leading this effort to teach ibo reading, and left the work to Ajayi?
Now imagine how long before this has Ajayi translated English to Yoruba and many were already reading it and had copies.

2 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 8:58am On Nov 29, 2021
SonOfEl:

You keep displaying this i-too-know attitude that eventually shames you.

The money shared among states comes mainly from oil export, not from internally generated revenue. Lagos state government also collect levies from port and port-related activities. See this ignoramus trying to sound informed. Businesses run by igbos in lagos is due to the infrastructure already put in place during the lagos capital status era, so stop shouting.

Those levies Lagos state is collecting has no name and value?
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Ovamboland(m): 8:59am On Nov 29, 2021
SonOfEl:

Please argue intelligently and stop seeking for notice. What you posted here doesnt make any sense.

Can't make sense to those who have no sense
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ForumNL(m): 1:14am On Aug 10, 2022
Yoruba Lagba
Yoruba lAgba
Yoruba LagbA
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ASAPFERG1: 7:55pm On Sep 02, 2022
Nice.. this is were yorubas travel to.. nor the pathetic Niger delta and igbo states grin grin
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 02, 2022
Is this one lock down or quarantine
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 02, 2022
okay
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DWickedLandLord: 8:46pm On Sep 02, 2022
Rubbish upon rubbish.
But believe what you wish

I dey on ground

From my siblings alone there's 5 of us
With me being here the longest. Since Bush

I can categorically confirm to you none of us have ever filled out such paperwork.
Same for any of my close friends

Yorubas do not outnumber igbos almost 2 to 1. How many yoruba's schooled with me in grade school? None. N I dey TX not Nebraska.

Is it in professional athletics?
Is it in the workplace?
Is it in the military?
Is it in the grade schools?
Is it in the universities?
Is it in owning businesses?
Is it at Nigeria functions?

Where exactly does this 2 to 1 gap show

Btw, certainly there's more than half a million Nigerians here

But if you feel you know more than me from Ajegunle no wahala
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Donmobi(m): 7:14am On Sep 03, 2022
DWickedLandLord:
Rubbish upon rubbish.

I dey on ground

I can categorically confirm to you none of us have ever filled out such paperwork.

Yorubas do not outnumber igbos almost 2 to 1. How many yoruba's schooled with me in grade school? None. N I dey TX not Nebraska.

Is it in the workplace?
Is it in the military?

igbos basically got the highest african presence in the U.S, no one fit argue am sef
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ForumNL(m): 12:04pm On Sep 03, 2022
DWickedLandLord:
Rubbish upon rubbish.

I dey on ground

Is it in the workplace?
Is it in the military?

Which Texas?
This dude has never moved out of Nnewi
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ForumNL(m): 12:06pm On Sep 03, 2022
DWickedLandLord:
Rubbish upon rubbish.

I dey on ground

Is it in the workplace?
Is it in the military?

DWickedLandLord talking live from Nnewi grin
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ForumNL(m): 12:11pm On Sep 03, 2022
DWickedLandLord:
Rubbish upon rubbish.

I dey on ground

Is it in the workplace?
Is it in the military?

Which Texas?
This dude has never moved out of Nnewi

https://www.nairaland.com/5200268/americans-debate-most-popular-african

Americans debate most popular african and Yoruba made it to the list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wfkSJAJYEg
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DWickedLandLord: 12:36pm On Sep 03, 2022
@
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DWickedLandLord: 12:39pm On Sep 03, 2022
@
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ForumNL(m): 12:41pm On Sep 03, 2022
DWickedLandLord:

Reporting live from Nnewi
Stupid motherfucker
Bastard, you think everyone is as dumb as you are, Nnewi village boy
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DWickedLandLord: 12:42pm On Sep 03, 2022
@
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DWickedLandLord: 12:44pm On Sep 03, 2022
ForumNL:

Bastard, you think everyone is as dumb as you are, Nnewi village boy

That's all you can muster?

lol

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ForumNL(m): 12:45pm On Sep 03, 2022
DWickedLandLord:

Yes o
Guy stop being a clot
This is too dumb
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ForumNL(m): 12:49pm On Sep 03, 2022
DWickedLandLord:

You really get the matter

An average Igbo boy has inferiority complex, for real? Why sending me downloaded pictures, try harder...

Fake life
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DWickedLandLord: 12:49pm On Sep 03, 2022
The victory was flawless.
I enjoy smacking bitches
Next...
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DWickedLandLord: 12:54pm On Sep 03, 2022
@
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Peacecore: 12:59pm On Sep 03, 2022
Ok
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by ForumNL(m): 1:03pm On Sep 03, 2022
DWickedLandLord:

lol

More fake life
More tantrums abeg
Jesus!
Wait, What exactly are you trying to proof with fake life?
Igbo boys and fake life, I know a lot of them
Nnewi villagers
I don't have your time
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DWickedLandLord: 1:07pm On Sep 03, 2022
ForumNL:

Guy stop being a clot
This is too dumb

You ran away??
You noticed my d ick is bigger abi
There was never any doubt

Ikenna from Onitsha. Proper Onitsha guy man
Na fight we like pass

Obviously you're new here.
I engage with facts divkhead. Ask about me
Take your deserved L n keep it pushing

IK International

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply)

Instructions Written Down For Buhari, Man Raises Concern / "We Shall Overcome": LP's Ngozi Okolie Reacts To Sack By Tribunal / Fayose Asks EFCC To Read John 8 Vs 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.