Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census (35777 Views)

Tinubu Bans Political Groups In Lagos As War With Aregbesola Worsens Over 2023 / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Americans Debate The Most Popular African Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by techWriter3: 6:19am On Nov 12, 2021
Benin republican and some element of Togo converse NigeriansAnd not all in west Africa.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Phcmayor(m): 7:36am On Nov 12, 2021
So yoruba don flood USA for their Yahoo activities
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by temitope27(m): 7:40am On Nov 12, 2021
oyatz:

But majority of the igbos i see in real life are good people and don't exhibit these traits. There are some that are my childhood friends, neighbours, teachers, pastor, business partners and of course, Ex-lovers. I interact with them and i don't see all these traits. Infact, there are igbos in my hometown that have naturalized through inter marriages.
maybe because those ur friends grew up here
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Commentor: 7:44am On Nov 12, 2021
GodIsBiafran:
How is it possible that there are more Yorubas than Igbos in America? I thought it was the other way around.

Which kain question be dis?

6 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Commentor: 7:46am On Nov 12, 2021
[s]
DOTian:
Eastern Nigeria needs to have western consulates there. Obviously people residing around Lagos get to access the services of these embassies and consulates easier and quicker. Every single Igbo man that travelled legitimately out of Nigeria MUST visit either Lagos or lately Abuja for his Visas! None of you non easterners have ever visited Enugu, Port Harcourt or Owerri for both your travelling papers or departure from Nigeria. This has taken it's tole overtime. I know of atleast 3 people who have died while either travelling down the East after landing in Lagos, or while running around to travel out..
None of you from the west or North go through these. These are basic obstacles that easterners face just to travel out of the country which have been normalized overtime..
[/s]

With the way you guys burn police posts and Dangote trucks,which right thinking High commission would set up shop in the east?

14 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 7:46am On Nov 12, 2021
scholes0:

Dude I only gave two examples. There are several more.... It's even more glaring when you look at ratios outside the continent, but within WA here; Sierra Leone, Liberia, Gambia, Guinea, Senegal and many more have much higher representation per capita/vis-a-vis their populations (at least comparatively speaking)
You didn't even address Ghana, the other example in my two example submission.

The 2 samples you gave don't alter the fact that the US admitted tens of thousands of Ethiopians as refugees hence their large number in the US so you can not compare, our path to the US is not the same. Without their refugee status, I see them at the bottom.

Again, it's not a competition and at the end of the day, this is just semantics and academic exercise, Nigeria remains the largest and the most accomplished Africans in the US, period.

3 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Commentor: 7:50am On Nov 12, 2021
TAO11:
Being ethnically Igbo is one thing, being able to speak Igbo is another thing.

I’m shocked that some of our brothers from the east are pretending to be unaware of this difference.

The data is simply about the ethnicity, not about the ability to speak the language.

Whether you (can) speak Igbo or not, you are Igbo if you are Igbo.

Stop the childish excuses. You’re not that much in ‘the abroad’. Simple as A-B-C.

LegendHero.

cheesy
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 12, 2021
this op na real Yorubalistan man
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by YourRealFather: 8:06am On Nov 12, 2021
I don't understand why people are so worked up over a mere statistics that estimates Nigerians around 461k, when we know Nigerians are in millions in America, just that most of them don't like to identify with Nigeria most especially the 1st and 2nd generation, they would rather identify with their place of birth, and some don't even have nigerian names, how can you identify them, we have alot of wesley snipes and dontey wilder, in America you will have to be very close to them to know that they are Nigerians, they only identify as Nigerians when they are back in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Covidodo: 8:28am On Nov 12, 2021
jumobi1:
Interesting facts but I don’t think the number of Yorubas here is that much more than Igbos. It’s probably more but not as substantial as this data suggests.

I’ll say this. I’m in a WhatsApp group with my US based college friends. Five of us are Yoruba, three of us are Igbo and one is from Warri. Five of the Yorubas speak Yoruba. One of the Igbos speak Igbo and my friend from Warri doesn’t speak his language.

It’s also obvious that a lot of immigrants were Lagos residents. The percentage of Yoruba Lagos residents that speak their native language is higher when compared to other ethnicities. These realities matter.

Look at the Ghanaian number vs the number that speak their language. The percentage that speak their language is very high.

Furthermore there are actually millions of Nigerians in the US. A lot just don’t identify as Nigerians.
Are you dyslexic ??
What does ethnicity has to do with the language an individual speaks ??
The census isn't about language . It's about ethnicity

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by McTobe(m): 8:39am On Nov 12, 2021
Nice, objective report
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by nisai: 8:47am On Nov 12, 2021
This is comprehesive. Thank you.

I have always said even Yorubas don't know their worth.zz

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 8:52am On Nov 12, 2021
DOTian:
Eastern Nigeria needs to have western consulates there. Obviously people residing around Lagos get to access the services of these embassies and consulates easier and quicker. Every single Igbo man that travelled legitimately out of Nigeria MUST visit either Lagos or lately Abuja for his Visas! None of you non easterners have ever visited Enugu, Port Harcourt or Owerri for both your travelling papers or departure from Nigeria. This has taken it's tole overtime. I know of atleast 3 people who have died while either travelling down the East after landing in Lagos, or while running around to travel out..
None of you from the west or North go through these. These are basic obstacles that easterners face just to travel out of the country which have been normalized overtime..

Do you people not find this your usual excuse for everything under the sun and victim mentality depressing and delimitating?

Gosh!!

SMH.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by nisai: 9:01am On Nov 12, 2021
Jimasun:

The kind of exaggerations those guys make ehn, Goebbels will be willing to have tutorials under them
grin grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by nisai: 9:23am On Nov 12, 2021
GodIsBiafran:

I refuse to accept this. I will like to know how the data was collated. Maybe some official of Yoruba descent is skewing the number. We know how can be.
grin grin stop this grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by nisai: 9:26am On Nov 12, 2021
TAO11:
Wait, what!?

Are you really pretending to be stuck, on this, matter between “Wikipedia” & the “U.S. Census Bureau”?

Really!!?? This is the height of self-inflicted foolishness.
grin very foolish

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DOTian: 9:45am On Nov 12, 2021
plaindealer:

Do you people not find this your usual excuse for everything under the sun and victim mentality depressing and delimitating?

Gosh!!

SMH.

The whole of the former Eastern Nigeria, from Calabar through Port Harcourt to Enugu needs to have more diplomatic presence. Combined, we are chasing a hundred million people. We should be adequately represented closely to the diplomatic community since those of you in the South West and the North are desperately trying to annihilate the East for your parasitic economic agenda! I don't know where you're coming from about excuses. The data above proves nothing to me. So which excuses? I was making a related point to the topic and was not making any excuses. Don't take yourself too serious.

So What if the Yorubas are bigger than the igbos in numbers around the world!? So freaking what? Why should I be stressed to defend such!? You want One Nigeria where you will be measuring diks everyday? You don't want consulates in the East. You don't want train stations in the East! You don't want international airports in the East. Almost all local airports in the East were built by State governments! How many airports in the North and South West were built by individual contributions as was the case in Owerri? And when I talk about that you say I'm making excuses? Excuses for what really?
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by valirex: 10:02am On Nov 12, 2021
scholes0:
And last but not least, here is a representation of the spread of the 3 most represented Nigerian ethnicities/languages )Yorubas, Igbos and Edoid Languages/Peoples) in the top 10 U.S states with the largest Nigerian populations, starting with Texas (1st) and ending with Massachusetts (10th).

[img]http:///65535/51672606461_603d33a2ce_b_d.jpg[/img]

This goes to show Ẹdo is between the 3rd and 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

Thanks for this data, will prove very useful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by mancoconut: 10:06am On Nov 12, 2021
valirex:

This goes to show Ẹdo is between the 3rd and 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

Of course Edo are about the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria, I'm based in the USA and I've met more Edo people across the US aside from Yorubas and Igbos in various social events, colleges etc... then after Edos I think Ibibio/Efiks have a huge population in the USA... I've never met a single Hausa or Ijaw person since I've been in the US, and I've been here for a long time!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by plaindealer: 10:07am On Nov 12, 2021
DOTian:

The whole of the former Eastern Nigeria, from Calabar through Port Harcourt to Enugu needs to have more diplomatic presence. Combined, we are chasing a hundred million people. We should be adequately represented closely to the diplomatic community since those of you in the South West and the North are desperately trying to annihilate the East for your parasitic economic agenda! I don't know where you're coming from about excuses. The data above proves nothing to me. So which excuses? I was making a related point to the topic and was not making any excuses. Don't take yourself too serious.

So What if the Yorubas are bigger than the igbos in numbers around the world!? So freaking what? Why should I be stressed to defend such!? You want One Nigeria where you will be measuring diks everyday? You don't want consulates in the East. You don't want train stations in the East! You don't want international airports in the East. Almost all local airports in the East were built by State governments! How many airports in the North and South West were built by individual contributions as was the case in Owerri? And when I talk about that you say I'm making excuses? Excuses for what really?

They don't have US consulates in Ondo, Ekiti, Osun Oyo and Ogun state, just like you in the SE, they all go through the same hardship, they all travel the same distance to Lagos or Abuja to secure Visa, there's nothing you go through in Nigeria that others are not going through so spare us the crying and whining victim and fake persecution mentality.

There's nothing special or unique about you and your situation in Nigeria, we all go through the same thing, the only difference is your approach and communal way of life, in my opinion, the one and the only reason why many of you are not in the US or abroad generally is because you prefer to remain in Nigeria to do buying and selling all over Nigeria, Lagos is more your abroad than the US.

There are many factors involved, not just the usual crying and mopping annoying persecution complex you people try to guilt us with, we don't care so stop crying.

Very irritating I must say.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by FallenShitHole: 10:09am On Nov 12, 2021
Philipponzaghi:

Be like say your eyes no dey see.

No be the same data be this wey OP posted charts on? Abi you no see USA cenusu bureau website?
Mumu, show us in those websites the OP listed where it was broken down ethnically. What you posted has only nigeria. FAKE and yoruba are like 5 and 6.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by valirex: 10:10am On Nov 12, 2021
mancoconut:

Of course Edo are about the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria, I'm based in the USA and I've met more Edo people across the US aside from Yorubas and Igbos in various social events, colleges etc... then after Edos I think Ibibio/Efiks have a huge population in the USA... I've never met a single Hausa or Ijaw person since I've been in the US, and I've been here for a long time!

I am so surprised as to how to responded so calmly and reasonably as an Igbo guy. I was expecting a war of words. Nice one bro
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by FallenShitHole: 10:11am On Nov 12, 2021
Sources:
https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table?q=ancesty&g=0400000US04,32,33&tid=ACSDT1Y2019.B04006&hidePreview=true
https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table?q=ancestry&tid=ACSDT1Y2019.B04006
http://data.census.gov/mdat/#/search?ds=ACSPUMS1Y2019&rv=LANP&wt=PWGTP
http://data.census.gov/cedsci/
All the websites above which you quoted have nothing to do with your posted statistics. All what you posted can easily be designed by anyone. FAKE!!
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DOTian: 10:14am On Nov 12, 2021
plaindealer:

They don't have US consulates in Ondo, Ekiti, Osun Oyo and Ogun state, just like you in the SE, they all go through the same hardship, they all travel the same distance to Lagos or Abuja to secure Visa, there's nothing you go through in Nigeria that others are not going through so spare us the crying and whining victim and fake persecution mentality.

There's nothing special or unique about you and your situation in Nigeria, we all go through the same thing, the only difference is your approach and communal way of life, in my opinion, the one and the only reason why many of you are not in the US or abroad generally is because you prefer to remain in Nigeria to do buying and selling all over Nigeria, Lagos is more your abroad than the US.

There are many factors involved, not just the usual crying and mopping annoying persecution complex you people try to guilt us with, we don't care so stop crying.

Very irritating I must say.

Another load of rubbish from a rampaging Tinubu Internet Hoodlum..
Igbos are not in the US bla bla bla
When will you get sense sef..?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Biafrarep(m): 10:15am On Nov 12, 2021
gentiles:

Another flimsy excuse, wake up to reality and accept documented facts

What he told you is the actual truth!

Igbos like being westernized to the extreme unlike Yorubas that like holding to their culture. That's why most Igbos in America will have English names while most Yorubas will have native names. Likewise why most Yoruba parents would be more interested to teach their kids their language more than the Igbos may want to do in America. You can easily see Yorubas having both their names and surnames in their native language while Igbos won't mind having both names in English and add to the fact they may not speak Igbo too and you would realize why Igbo numbers weren't fully captured.

Another factor you didn't consider is that Yorubas from Benin republic were also included and many of those that were included as Edoid may also be Igbos from Delta and Edo states.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 12, 2021
gentiles:
But igbos always claim to be the majority in USA grin grin grin

Are you surprised? They always claim to be the "majority" everywhere and in relation to everything good and laudable.

Wild exaggeration, to look superior to others, allows them sleep better at night. Lol.

Unfortunately for Igbos, as OP has just done here , the internet information age is making a fool of their outlandish claims driven by inferiority complex.

They are simply silent here because the info and statistics were presented by US agencies. Were it to be a Nigerian source then you will hear "Lagos-Ibadan media propaganda".

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by jumobi1(m): 10:16am On Nov 12, 2021
Covidodo:

Are you dyslexic ??
What does ethnicity has to do with the language an individual speaks ??
The census isn't about language . It's about ethnicity

Don’t blame me for your mental limitations.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by FallenShitHole: 10:16am On Nov 12, 2021
mancoconut:

What year was this study released?
The whole thing is FAKE. None of what he posted is on the website that he sighted as his source. Believe yorubas at your own peril.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 12, 2021
Biafrarep:

What he told you is the actual truth!

Igbos like being westernized to the extreme unlike Yorubas that like holding to their culture. That's why most Igbos in America will have English names while most Yorubas will have native names. Likewise why most Yoruba parents would be more interested to teach their kids their language more than the Igbos may want to do in America. You can easily see Yorubas having both their names and surnames in their native language while Igbos won't mind having both names in English and add to the fact they may not speak Igbo too and you would realize why Igbo numbers weren't fully captured.

Another factor you didn't consider is that Yorubas from Benin republic were also included and many of those that were included as Edoid may also be Igbos from Delta and Edo states.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Una no dey tire? Abi it is an issue of having no shame?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by FallenShitHole: 10:18am On Nov 12, 2021
Dsalvo:

Are you surprised? They always claim to be the "majority" everywhere and in relation to everything good and laudable.

Wild exaggeration, to look superior to others, allows them sleep better at night. Lol.

Unfortunately for Igbos, as OP has just done here , the internet information age is making a fool of their outlandish claims driven by inferiority complex.

They are simply silent here because the info and statistics were presented by US agencies. Were it to be a Nigerian source then you will hear "Lagos-Ibadan media propaganda".

The whole thing is FAKE. None of what he posted is on the website that he sighted as his source. Oluwole manufactured statistics. Believe yorubas at your own peril.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by FallenShitHole: 10:19am On Nov 12, 2021
Dsalvo:

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Una no dey tire? Abi it is an issue of having no shame?

The whole thing is FAKE. None of what he posted is on the website that he sighted as his source. Oluwole manufactured statistics. Believe yorubas at your own peril.
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by FallenShitHole: 10:20am On Nov 12, 2021
valirex:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

Afenifere Endorses Peter Obi, Says It's South East's Turn(video) / FG, NLC Meeting On Fuel Subsidy Removal Ends In Deadlock (Video) / Buhari Lied To Nigerians In His October 1 Speech – Junaid Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.