Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,859 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed (20448 Views)

Ikoyi Building: Bricklayer Who Survived Reveals Why It Collapsed, Advises Engine / Adebowale Sikiru Ikoyi Building Collapse: My Rejection For Being Muslim Saved Me / Photos From The Scene Of The Ikoyi Building Collapse (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by dre11(m): 3:02pm On Nov 12, 2021
TheCable has obtained a picture taken before the collapse of the 21-storey building located in Gerrard road, Ikoyi, Lagos.

The structure, which was being developed by Fourscore Homes, caved in on Monday, November 1.

The photo, taken a few days before the incident, showed the building still standing — but evidently tilted.

TheCable understands that the picture was taken by a resident of the area who expressed fears that the building might collapse.

The now-collapsed building was tilting days before the tragedy

Femi Osibona, owner of Fourscore Homes, is one of the 45 persons who have so far been confirmed dead.

In the wake of the incident, Obafemi Hamzat, deputy governor of Lagos state, had said construction at the collapsed building was once stopped after it failed a structural integrity test.

The deputy governor said the building was sealed “because our agency came in to do structural tests and saw some anomalies”.

Subsequently, a video surfaced online showing how Osibona, aided by security operatives, resisted the sealing off of the property.

In the two-minute video clip, dated 2020, a group of men, who appeared to be officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), insisted on sealing off the building — but they were repelled.

FIRST COURSE OF ACTION

Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, has since inaugurated a tribunal to probe the collapse of the high-rise.

The governor gave the tribunal a 30-day deadline to submit the report of its investigation.

During a visit to the site of the building collapse, the governor had said there is enough blame to go around.

“This an event that could be described clearly as a national disaster. Mistakes were made from all angles,” Sanwo-Olu said.

The governor had also asked Gbolahan Oki, the general manager of LASBCA, to embark on an indefinite suspension over the incident.

WHAT’S THE LATEST?

On Wednesday, Gbenga Omotoso, Lagos commissioner for information and strategy, said the state has not ordered the demolition of the remaining two structures.

The commissioner said an integrity test is yet to be conducted on the two buildings.

“The panel of inquiry instituted into the collapse of the building has continued to sit, and an integrity test is yet to be conducted on the two buildings. It is, therefore, wrong to assert or speculate that the buildings will be demolished,” he said.

Meanwhile, the senate has asked the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to provide support to survivors of the building collapse.

https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-photo-ikoyi-building-shortly-before-it-collapsed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by inoki247: 3:03pm On Nov 12, 2021
ok
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by JoyousFurnitire(m): 3:07pm On Nov 12, 2021
undecided
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Gondonu: 3:11pm On Nov 12, 2021
The disaster was obviously steering all in the eyes before it happened but because of greed for monetary gains & sheer wickedness, it was still allowed to consume souls.E no go better for all of una in government.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by omenkaLives(m): 3:12pm On Nov 12, 2021
Was the building really tilting or is this just an image distortion arising from the curvature of the camera lenses? undecided

If a building that size is tilted, and the tilt isn't as a deliberate architectural design, even the developer themselves wouldnt allow anyone close to it. They'd stop work knowing pouring more resources in there would be a total waste.

133 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by DSC7: 3:19pm On Nov 12, 2021
shocked shocked shocked shocked

So the building was tilting and people were still trooping in? undecided undecided

Asin the building dey bend and people still dey waka enter inside?

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by JoyousFurnitire(m): 3:24pm On Nov 12, 2021
DSC7:
shocked shocked shocked shocked

So the building was tilting and people were still trooping in? undecided undecided

Asin the building dey bend and people still dey waka enter inside?
Bro. the tin hard me sad

9 Likes

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Maxymilliano(m): 3:25pm On Nov 12, 2021
This is a doctored image and I don't believe it to be true.

It is highly impossible to have this type of defective image in such civilized environment without generating cries from the public before it collapsed

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by omenkaLives(m): 3:34pm On Nov 12, 2021
Maxymilliano:
This is a doctored image and I don't believe it to be true.

It is highly impossible to have this type of defective image in such civilized environment without generating cries from the public before it collapsed
Not necessarily doctored. Just camera lenses distortion. Some kind of mild "barrel lens distortion".

12 Likes

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Moferere: 3:34pm On Nov 12, 2021
If we don't follow due process, what happenend in Ikoyi will keep repeating itself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Tallesty1(m): 3:35pm On Nov 12, 2021
So this was how the building was tilting and people still get mind to go inside and work?
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 12, 2021
And then.

Nigerian online medias will do anything for traffic even if they have to go far as to manipulate pictures or post old pictures and then claim it was taken a day before the building collasped

6 Likes

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Racoon(m): 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2021
In the wake of the incident, Obafemi Hamzat, deputy governor of Lagos state, had said construction at the collapsed building was once stopped after it failed a structural integrity test.

The deputy governor said the building was sealed “because our agency came in to do structural tests and saw some anomalies”.

Subsequently, a video surfaced online showing how Osibona, aided by security operatives, resisted the sealing off of the property.

In the two-minute video clip, dated 2020, a group of men, who appeared to be officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), insisted on sealing off the building but they were repelled.

Femi Osibona, owner of Fourscore Homes, is one of the 45 persons who have so far been confirmed dead.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by FalseProphet1(m): 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2021
The remaining two buildings will not be demolished, I see it being sold secretly to buyers, I see another tragedy unfolding.

This I have seen.

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by ForeThinker: 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2021
Things are happening very fast
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by setobaba: 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2021
No matter who you are, Stand on what you believe on. Everybody saw it coming but he wouldn’t listen

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Aburada: 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2021
Is it the angle the picture was taken or the structure itself is not straight?

Funny enough the collapse of the building will positively change the financial lifestyle of some people, truly this life no balance

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Kingcalls: 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2021
Damn...it was glaring na
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by DeGLORIOUS: 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2021
All these high risings dey fear me. if i have my way, no building will pass five

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2021
So this man could not see with his own eyes that this building was under stress? Some professional he was smh.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by xpressionx(m): 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2021
ok
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Kingcalls: 3:38pm On Nov 12, 2021
[quote author=DSC7 post=107554435] shocked shocked shocked shocked

Asin the building dey bend and people still dey waka enter inside? [/quote

There is something definitely wrong with the black man
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by StagethemTVee: 3:38pm On Nov 12, 2021
The building look slightly bent to the right. Could it be the angle of shot or the design of the building?

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by saferoom: 3:39pm On Nov 12, 2021
I dont know the details but judging by this Project Signboard you can see that:-
1. The Man was the Client.
2. He was the Main Contractor (Direct labour)
3. He was also the Project Manager.
Yet he studied Business Finance at the University and has been in business for decades.

Please present and future Owners, please engaged hands-on Professionals. Engage a COREN-Certified Structural Engineer like me to handle the Structure. And give the person 100% free hand to operate.
Be particular about taking someone that EARNS HIS LIVELIHOOD from that work. Dont take someone that you know. Take someone that knows the work. Stop chasing packaging the kind of Benz or Ford he drives, how beautiful their website is, how many countries he has gone for vacation and other useless mundane things

Rest in peace to all the dead

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by yuzjet(m): 3:39pm On Nov 12, 2021
May the dead souls rest in peace.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by assent: 3:39pm On Nov 12, 2021
Gondonu:
The disaster was obviously steering all in the eyes before it happened but because of greed for monetary gains & sheer wickedness, it was still allowed to consume souls.E no go better for all of una in government.

They thought the building was trying to copy the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

That's why they didn't demolish it.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by eaglez(m): 3:39pm On Nov 12, 2021
U go school joor.
omenkaLives:
Not necessarily doctored. Just camera lenses distortion. Some kind of mild "barrel lens distortion".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by gsparks01(m): 3:39pm On Nov 12, 2021
people would do anything for attention. Someone has edited this.
You think if I'm a worker there and I see this obvious tilt which was not by design, I would still go in to work? When I don't have a death wish.

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by SenecaTheYonger: 3:40pm On Nov 12, 2021
omenkaLives:
Was the building really tilting or is this just an image distortion arising from the curvature of the camera lenses? undecided

If a building that size is tilted, and the tilt isn't as a deliberate architectural design, even the developer themselves wouldnt allow anyone close to it. They'd stop work knowing pouring more resources in there would be a total waste.

Every picture I've seen of this building is tilting.

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by lexy2014: 3:40pm On Nov 12, 2021
omenkaLives:

Meaning...?
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by paskal16: 3:40pm On Nov 12, 2021
Hmm
Who sees a building tilting this way and still enters inside
Abi the person no get eye ni
Not even the ceo himself would want to risk his life if he had seen the building this way
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by 88natzy(m): 3:41pm On Nov 12, 2021
Tower of death!!
Rip to the dead and fortitude to the families of those that lost their lifes I pray.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Is A Plot Of Land In Your Area Presently? / How To Buy A Land In Lagos On A Budget And Not Bankrupt Yourself / Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.