Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed (20464 Views)

Ikoyi Building: Bricklayer Who Survived Reveals Why It Collapsed, Advises Engine / Adebowale Sikiru Ikoyi Building Collapse: My Rejection For Being Muslim Saved Me / Photos From The Scene Of The Ikoyi Building Collapse (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by MondayOsunbor(m): 3:55pm On Nov 12, 2021
ForeThinker:
Things are happening very fast

On Wednesday, Gbenga Omotoso, Lagos commissioner for information and strategy, said the state has not ordered the demolition of the remaining two structures.

The commissioner said an integrity test is yet to be conducted on the two buildings.

this is nigeria
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by caprini1: 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2021
Maxymilliano:
This is a doctored image and I don't believe it to be true.

It is highly impossible to have this type of defective image in such civilized environment without generating cries from the public before it collapsed
There are so many buildings in Lagos island ,that have to be demolished...it scares me even walking along the streets where most of them are situated.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by lexy2014: 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2021
ba7man:
This statement is exactly what is destroying this country.

The citizens blame everything on the govt as if they share no responsibility in making the country better.

Whose responsibility was it to check the citizen for contravening building regulations?
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 12, 2021
lexy2014:

The corpses and survivors that were brought from under the building, where did they come from? Are u the one that put them under the rubble's?

Don't try to claim something else.

You claim that the building was about to fall because you saw a mere picture.

Nobody knows the date, month and time the picture was taken.

Now, why do you believe the building is about to fall just because you saw a picture.

If the building hasn't fallen and you saw that picture, you would have said, it was an AWESOME picture but because you have been manipulated by the title of the news, in your mind, you think the building was about to fall just by seeing the picture

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by ba7man(m): 3:57pm On Nov 12, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Does the building below shows its about to fall?

The way you take a picture can distort the actual reality of the structure you are snapping
planes laden with fuel crashed into the Twin towers, the resulting inferno heated up the steel structural members, weakening them.

The buildings collapsed under their own weight once the structural members were weakened enough.

Two totally unrelated scenarios.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by TOPCRUISE(m): 3:58pm On Nov 12, 2021
Could this be the reason why they were doing crusade on top of the building.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by lexy2014: 3:58pm On Nov 12, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Don't try to claim something else.

You claim that the building was about to fall because of a mere picture.

Nobody knows the date, month and time the picture was taken.

Now, why do you believe the building is about to fall just because you saw a picture.

If the building hasn't fallen and you saw that picture, you would have said, it was an AWESOME building.

Doesn't answer the questions I asked:

The corpses and survivors that were brought from under the building, where did they come from? Are u the one that put them under the rubble?
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Tomahawk99(m): 3:58pm On Nov 12, 2021
omenkaLives:
Was the building really tilting or is this just an image distortion arising from the curvature of the camera lenses? undecided

If a building that size is tilted, and the tilt isn't as a deliberate architectural design, even the developer themselves wouldnt allow anyone close to it. They'd stop work knowing pouring more resources in there would be a total waste.
This is Nigeria the land of anything goes.
Why did they organize a prayer session for the safety of the building after the initial closure of the building?
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by jaxxy(m): 3:59pm On Nov 12, 2021
I’m not an architect or builder bt I can already see several massive faults and issues on this building.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by dangoteinlaw: 3:59pm On Nov 12, 2021
saferoom:
I dont know the details but judging by this Project Signboard you can see that:-
1. The Man was the Client.
2. He was the Main Contractor (Direct labour)
3. He was also the Project Manager.
Yet he studied Business Finance at the University and has been in business for decades.

Please present and future Owners, please engaged hands-on Professionals. Engage a COREN-Certified Structural Engineer like me to handle the Structure. And give the person 100% free hand to operate.
Be particular about taking someone that EARNS HIS LIVELIHOOD from that work. Dont take someone that you know. Take someone that knows the work. Stop chasing packaging the kind of Benz or Ford he drives, how beautiful their website is, how many countries he has gone for vacation and other useless mundane things

Rest in peace to all the dead
should i name 3 contractors on property section who studied business admi? One studied computer science and are being hailed as engineers on property section. Anyways no need coz I can't win their arguments there.

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by sunbreaker: 3:59pm On Nov 12, 2021
omenkaLives:
Was the building really tilting or is this just an image distortion arising from the curvature of the camera lenses? undecided

If a building that size is tilted, and the tilt isn't as a deliberate architectural design, even the developer themselves wouldnt allow anyone close to it. They'd stop work knowing pouring more resources in there would be a total waste.
You speak my mind

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by ba7man(m): 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2021
lexy2014:

Whose responsibility was it to check the citizen for contravening building regulations?
The Building regulation agencies employ Americans and Afghanistans, right?
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by blowjohn(m): 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2021
Maxymilliano:

It is highly impossible to have this type of defective image in such civilized environment without generating cries from the public before it collapsed

Which environment is civilised?
Where in Nigeria is civilised?
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2021
ba7man:
planes laden with fuel crashed into the Twin towers, the resulting inferno heated up the steel structural members, weakening them.

The buildings collapsed under their own weight once the structural members were weakened enough.

Two totally unrelated scenarios.

You see, that was an edit and manipulation by photoshop.

The original picture was taken long before the plane attack but was edited to lay a point

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by lexy2014: 4:01pm On Nov 12, 2021
ba7man:
The Building regulation agencies employ Americans and Afghanistans, right?

Doesn't answer the question:

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 12, 2021
omenkaLives:

You underestimate the greed of Nigerians.

This man had already collected millions of dollars in down payment from buyers of the flats and millions more from investors in the project. In his mind he HAD to complete that building at all costs to make his profit and avoid gbese.

That’s why he was going there everyday because he knew the building was faulty and he was looking for ways to fix it without bringing it down. It’s not a coincidence that he was in the building on the day it collapsed because he was going there everyday. Whenever you see a property developer going to a site everyday just know there is something wrong with that building. Otherwise, if everything is fine, you just entrust daily operations to the contractors and only go there to supervise major events.

Plus countless people had reported the building to Lagos state gov, officials had attempted to seal it and arrested him before his release was ordered from someone above. His former consultants had pulled out of the project due to him ignoring their advise. What other evidence do you need to see before you believe that man knew the building was in distress but was hell bent on completing it like that?
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by RPG2020(m): 4:04pm On Nov 12, 2021
e don set before the building collapse
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 12, 2021
lexy2014:

Doesn't answer the questions I asked:

The corpses and survivors that were brought from under the building, where did they come from? Are u the one that put them under the rubble?

They came from your house.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by lexy2014: 4:06pm On Nov 12, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

They came from your house.

If you no that they came from my house, how come you are now asking me if I was there?

Which leaves the other question unanswered: Are u the one that put them under the rubble?
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 12, 2021
DSC7:
shocked shocked shocked shocked

So the building was tilting and people were still trooping in? undecided undecided

Asin the building dey bend and people still dey waka enter inside?

Oga there are many buildings that are visibly tilting in this Lagos and people still live inside confidently. Do you live in Lagos at all? Come let me take you in a trip around Lagos island.

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Adebowalay(m): 4:08pm On Nov 12, 2021
Maxymilliano:

I love reasoning men like you bro, u dey reason well

2 Likes

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by emmykk(m): 4:10pm On Nov 12, 2021
Maxymilliano:

So because is a physical structure that is why you are questioning it and saying it is a lie.
This buhari govt is a disaster for 8yeara and you will ask us why they will still vote APC in 2023.
The building just kill 45 persons do you know how many lives are killed and dying daily as a result of govt maladministration.

The said high rise was say said to have a bad report from a construction consultant who withdrew their services ,why did the lagos state govt not take it up.

Gov Jide San wolu ought to be impeached or resign but he is forcing others on suspension why himself is exonerated
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Conwarden: 4:10pm On Nov 12, 2021
omenkaLives:

Odogwu, your school fees was not wasted. Any idle miscreant can make a quick photoshopped rendering of that building.

Fear bloggers and blogging scam.

angry

Life sentence for all scammers . . . including paternity fraudsters!

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by frowland(m): 4:10pm On Nov 12, 2021
Maxymilliano:

Sound mind. Even if it was tilted as portrayed in the image above, it would have collapsed towards the angle of tilt.

1 Like

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by flakkybakky(f): 4:10pm On Nov 12, 2021
Mere looking at the picture,it looks bend,the structure isn't straight at all,RIP to The lost souls
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by 989900: 4:11pm On Nov 12, 2021
saferoom:
I dont know the details but judging by this Project Signboard you can see that:-
Yet he studied Business Finance at the University and has been in business for decades.

Please present and future Owners, please engaged hands-on Professionals. Engage a COREN-Certified Structural Engineer like me to handle the Structure. And give the person 100% free hand to operate.
Be particular about taking someone that EARNS HIS LIVELIHOOD from that work. Dont take someone that you know. Take someone that knows the work. Stop chasing packaging the kind of Benz or Ford he drives, how beautiful their website is, how many countries he has gone for vacation and other useless mundane things

Structural engineer: blank? undecided undecided
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by kenchop: 4:14pm On Nov 12, 2021
IT WAS . MY COUSIN'S OFFICE IS TWO POLES AWAY FROM IT. IT WAS VERY VISIBLE THAT IT WAS TILTED. HE CONFIRMED TO ME.

omenkaLives:

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by wink2015(m): 4:18pm On Nov 12, 2021
WHAT IS IMPORTANT NOW IS THE LESSONS THAT SHOULD BE LEARNT FROM THE DISASTER.

Humanity has be safety conscious and not to allow money override human lives.

RIP to all those who lost their lives.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 12, 2021
saferoom:

Them don rush cover their phone numbers and name with tape
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by emae009(m): 4:22pm On Nov 12, 2021
omenkaLives:

I just had the same thought. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just image distortion to sell news and clickbaits

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by warlordd(m): 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2021
I don't believe this is true! However anyone who saw the building in that condition and continued to work there until it collapsed, committed suicide, and should not be mourned.
Re: Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed by pavoda: 4:45pm On Nov 12, 2021
this is a crazy country
Tallesty1:
So this was how the building was tilting and people still get mind to go inside and work?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Buy A Land In Lagos On A Budget And Not Bankrupt Yourself / Estimate For Decking / How Much Is A Plot Of Land In Your Area Presently?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.