Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,257 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Whats My Best Relocation Choice? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Whats My Best Relocation Choice? (22657 Views)

Married Guys That Relocated To The UK, Whats Your Experience / Abuja Vs Lagos: Which Is More Advisable For Relocation? / Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Gerrard59(m): 6:36am On Nov 24, 2021
JungleJustice01:

Tuition fees are high and some friends who studied in the UK didn't even wait for their convocation before running back to Nigeria.
I don't know if things have changed now though.

@Gerrard.59, finally got my IELTS result and it was 8.0 on dot. Moving on

The US option is the best. Five million will not go anywhere in Canada or the UK or even Germany (if you wish to take your family along with you).

P.S. Please edit my moniker the same way I did.

1 Like

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Shokoloko(f): 3:41pm On Nov 25, 2021
ednut1:
go back to those threads, read carefully and make your decision based on the one you qualify for
Perfect!!
At this point I believe mods should close thread as there is no better response

2 Likes

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by kelvyn7: 3:42pm On Nov 25, 2021
guys please, what is the secret of these high IELTS scores...
i have written twice and I had band 7...please help a brother with suggestions

cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Moneymagnet24(m): 3:45pm On Nov 25, 2021
The way people come here to ask questions tho. But when the get cashout nobody go ask which account e go use collect the money ohh.

1 Like

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by femi4: 3:46pm On Nov 25, 2021
JungleJustice01:
I've been thinking strongly of relocating these past couple years and I've made up mind I'm going for it in 2022.

I'm awaiting my IELTS result already and will redo if needed.

A little bio
31 years with about 8 years professional experience in Agric, top tier companies, married with 1 child and expecting one by June next year. I'll be able to come up with #5million for this project.

3 options on my mind.

1. Canada skilled migration
2. Australian skilled migration
3. Post graduate in Germany.

I've breezed through their pages but there's so much information to consume and so right now, I want to make a reasonable choice I can follow through to the end.

Which option do I have/has the best prospects for me please. I've thought of USA post graduate but the tuitions are just too high.

Thanks
Post graduate Germany. You LL develop yourself for better opportunities elsewhere
Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 25, 2021
JungleJustice01:
Over 100 views and no comment. Please guys sad

You no know say bad belle full this place?

Sha easy with the way you divulge your future plans on here.

You can only tell them your past but as for your future plans, keep it from them.

2 Likes

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Jackson105: 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2021
Gerrard59:

Good option is postgraduate studies in Germany. You deposit the fund into a block account, which gets released to you upon arrival in Germany. However, the process in obtaining a visa as a Nigerian in Nigeria is onerous and the worst I've read in my entire life. This is because due to the sheer demand of people who want to flee Nigeria, Covid-19 disruption which resulted in logjam of applications and maybe a change to dissuade prospective applicants, the process for applying a student's visa has two categories - A and B. Where Category A: students who got scholarships from governments, organisations or the school. Basically, you're funded by a third party. Also, if you have a first class within a certain period of time (check the embassy and thread). This Category will have your application processed quickly and you get invited for an interview. Category B: You have a 2.1 and below, self-funded etc. This will have your application processed at a later date and takes a year (again, check the thread). See why I mentioned it being onerous and worst ever read about? You have folks in Category B who got admitted but because they are in that category, their visa interview dates are allocated at dates beyond resumption dates and sometimes the following year. That's, you apply for admission for say September batch but don't get a visa interview till say June meanwhile classes commenced the previous year. Compare it to Japan where you apply for admission into the October intake, get a visa interview once your certificate of eligibility arrives (usually a month before, that's, August), head to embassy, get the visa and travel to Japan. Also, you're married and a father, this will incur more expenses if you intend carrying them along.

Better option is Canada express entry. You go through the process and all things being equal, you get ITA sometime next year. However, 5M will not be enough as a family man with two children. If I'm not mistaken, single applicants are required to possess POF of C$12, 000. Unless you go alone through the competitive process, you're patient, have a very high IELTS score of 8888, be prepared to learn French if need be etc.

Best option is the United States With your level of experience and hopefully a good grade, you can apply for a direct PhD and here's the juicy stuff; as a PhD student, you don't pay tuition fees as the department will waive it for you, get a stipend, you can bring your children and wife to the US; and yes, the school will fund you for that. Also, you have an easier path to green card and eventually citizenship after graduation. Now, the process entails you looking for a professor whose research theme aligns with yours. Send cold emails (see this link for in depth details: https://anumightytm.medium.com/part-two-guide-to-graduate-studies-in-the-united-state-of-america-us-38142f48d1f0), write the GRE to improve your chances, hopefully your IELTS score has a Listening score of at least 8 to improve your chances of getting teaching assistantships. Unfortunately, it's late to commence the process now as most schools offer funding for Fall season (August) as opposed to spring (March/April). So, what do you in the interim? Prepare very well for the journey and guess what? You will spend max N2M (inclusive of flight tickets) for this option because at the end of the day, you are not paying tuition fees nor providing living expenses. Why PhD instead of a masters? You're 31, don't have about 15M+ to present to the visa officer, long work experience and married with two children. An MSc doesn't favour you as most times, the school will not fund you. Trust me, if you opt for this option, you would be in the US mid-2023.

P.S. Forget the Australian option, you don't have the money as it's way more expensive than Canada's, your age doesn't favour you and maybe your occupation is not in high demand.

Best wishes!

Nice one.

Please, what about UK

2 Likes

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by femi4: 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2021
Mercychen:

You no know say bad belle full this place?

Sha easy with the way you divulge your future plans on here.

You can only tell them your past but as for your future plans, keep it from them.

Too much Nollywood...As you keep your future plans reach, you still never commot naija

18 Likes

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Shokoloko(f): 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2021
JungleJustice01:
I've been thinking strongly of relocating these past couple years and I've made up mind I'm going for it in 2022.

A little bio
31 years with about 8 years professional experience in Agric, top tier companies, married with 1 child and expecting one by June next year. I'll be able to come up with #5million for this project.

3 options on my mind.

I've breezed through their pages but there's so much information to consume and so right now, I want to make a reasonable choice I can follow through to the end.

Which option do I have/has the best prospects for me please. I've thought of USA post graduate but the tuitions are just too high.

Thanks
Follow ednut's advise. I'll add to it. For that Canadian express entry, search out Provincial nominations. Also and see if using your wife as the principal applicant will make it easier as she is likely to be the younger of you both.
Do not worry so much about the cost, if you fill your scores are high enough, start the journey. You wont need to pay the price in bulk. And for the Proof of funds, there are many ways to kill a cat which you will find out if you read those threads.

4 Likes

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by olas24u(f): 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2021
You have a good life already in Nigeria
Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by shantti(m): 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2021
JungleJustice01:

Tuition fees are high and some friends who studied in the UK didn't even wait for their convocation before running back to Nigeria.
I don't know if things have changed now though.

@Gerrard.59, finally got my IELTS result and it was 8.0 on dot. Moving on

Please how did you did the IELTS of a things please. When and where is the exam written. Can I have access to study materials. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Shokoloko(f): 3:50pm On Nov 25, 2021
Preciouseke:
Most people don't know this yet, but there's an untapped visa route Nigerians are now using to legally relocate to Canada.

It is the fastest, easiest & cheapest way to move to Canada, it requires low education, low proof of funds, low English, job & accommodation on arrival
Preciouseke Preciouseke Preciouseke How many times did I call you grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by doneem(m): 3:50pm On Nov 25, 2021
Canada I have so much positive news about that countriy
Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by GogetterMD(m): 3:51pm On Nov 25, 2021
JungleJustice01:

Thanks for the feedback Jorussia. Norway applications are closing in 2 weeks. Too late for me. I'll shoot for US PG, Germany and possibly France.

Thanks so much.

PG applications for September/October 2022 in the US closes on the 1st of December as well. You gotta hurry up

1 Like

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 25, 2021
femi4:
Too much Nollywood...As you keep your future plans reach, you still never commot naija

I'm not abroad freak. Ok?

By the way, why did my comment hit you hard? Hmmm..

1 Like

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by femi4: 3:54pm On Nov 25, 2021
Mercychen:

I'm not an abroad freak. Ok?

By the way, why did my comment hit you hard? Hmmm..

kilo kan mi

1 Like

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 25, 2021
femi4:
kilo kan mi

Hm o' o ya jewo..
Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by doneem(m): 3:57pm On Nov 25, 2021
what is the chances of travelling for a person with skilled labour like electronics repairs
Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Gertyman: 4:02pm On Nov 25, 2021
JungleJustice01:

Can't thank you enough. The US has always been a top choice for me but due to the requirements...I'll give the PhD option a try as I'm also open to just getting a Post graduate degree and returning to Nigeria as I've got business here as well.

I didn't know Germany and Australia have become so tough.

Side note: Is Poland/Norway Post graduate still as accessible as it used to be?

Thanks once again

Canada is your best option. Post graduate in Canada and post graduate work permit after your studies is 3 years, if you go for 2 years programme. In addition, your wife can work full-time on your student visa. And within your 3 years post graduate work permit, you can apply for Canada express entry programme which will convert you to a permanent residence in Canada. Your choice of provinces should also be good. E. G mannitoba, Alberta, etc. And being 31 years of age, you are on a good side to be granted student visa.

There are also schools in Canada that the tuition can be paid installmentally.

In US, your wife cannot work. Australia also good, but Canada stands out as the best.

3 Likes

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Bliss955(m): 4:06pm On Nov 25, 2021
Gerrard59:

Good option is postgraduate studies in Germany. You deposit the fund into a block account, which gets released to you upon arrival in Germany. However, the process in obtaining a visa as a Nigerian in Nigeria is onerous and the worst I've read in my entire life. This is because due to the sheer demand of people who want to flee Nigeria, Covid-19 disruption which resulted in logjam of applications and maybe a change to dissuade prospective applicants, the process for applying a student's visa has two categories - A and B. Where Category A: students who got scholarships from governments, organisations or the school. Basically, you're funded by a third party. Also, if you have a first class within a certain period of time (check the embassy and thread). This Category will have your application processed quickly and you get invited for an interview. Category B: You have a 2.1 and below, self-funded etc. This will have your application processed at a later date and takes a year (again, check the thread). See why I mentioned it being onerous and worst ever read about? You have folks in Category B who got admitted but because they are in that category, their visa interview dates are allocated at dates beyond resumption dates and sometimes the following year. That's, you apply for admission for say September batch but don't get a visa interview till say June meanwhile classes commenced the previous year. Compare it to Japan where you apply for admission into the October intake, get a visa interview once your certificate of eligibility arrives (usually a month before, that's, August), head to embassy, get the visa and travel to Japan. Also, you're married and a father, this will incur more expenses if you intend carrying them along.

Better option is Canada express entry. You go through the process and all things being equal, you get ITA sometime next year. However, 5M will not be enough as a family man with two children. If I'm not mistaken, single applicants are required to possess POF of C$12, 000. Unless you go alone through the competitive process, you're patient, have a very high IELTS score of 8888, be prepared to learn French if need be etc.

Best option is the United States With your level of experience and hopefully a good grade, you can apply for a direct PhD and here's the juicy stuff; as a PhD student, you don't pay tuition fees as the department will waive it for you, get a stipend, you can bring your children and wife to the US; and yes, the school will fund you for that. Also, you have an easier path to green card and eventually citizenship after graduation. Now, the process entails you looking for a professor whose research theme aligns with yours. Send cold emails (see this link for in depth details: https://anumightytm.medium.com/part-two-guide-to-graduate-studies-in-the-united-state-of-america-us-38142f48d1f0), write the GRE to improve your chances, hopefully your IELTS score has a Listening score of at least 8 to improve your chances of getting teaching assistantships. Unfortunately, it's late to commence the process now as most schools offer funding for Fall season (August) as opposed to spring (March/April). So, what do you in the interim? Prepare very well for the journey and guess what? You will spend max N2M (inclusive of flight tickets) for this option because at the end of the day, you are not paying tuition fees nor providing living expenses. Why PhD instead of a masters? You're 31, don't have about 15M+ to present to the visa officer, long work experience and married with two children. An MSc doesn't favour you as most times, the school will not fund you. Trust me, if you opt for this option, you would be in the US mid-2023.

P.S. Forget the Australian option, you don't have the money as it's way more expensive than Canada's, your age doesn't favour you and maybe your occupation is not in high demand.

Best wishes!
You seem very enlightened about the whole process, would love to be guided by you on relocating as a young guy

1 Like

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 25, 2021
Gerrard59:

Best wishes!

This is quite detailed and very informative. I admire your points and depth of information even though I am not the OP... Kudos.
Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by odimbannamdi(m): 4:09pm On Nov 25, 2021
Gertyman:

Canada is your best option. Post graduate in Canada and post graduate work permit after your studies is 3 years, if you go for 2 years programme. In addition, your wife can work full-time on your student visa. And within your 3 years post graduate work permit, you can apply for Canada express entry programme which will convert you to a permanent residence in Canada. Your choice of provinces should also be good. E. G mannitoba, Alberta, etc. And being 31 years of age, you are on a good side to be granted student visa.

There are also schools in Canada that the tuition can be paid installmentally.

In US, your wife cannot work. Australia also good, but Canada stands out as the best.

Are You saying one can relocate with his family on Canadian student visa?
Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Soffyh(m): 4:10pm On Nov 25, 2021
What’s are you studying again sef Apply for work abroad, even if na driving work, chop money, I don’t know why some prefer studying there when u hardly hustle to get money in 9ja, u go work in 9ja and still waiting for payment time angry
Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Gertyman: 4:11pm On Nov 25, 2021
JungleJustice01:

Thanks for the feedback Jorussia. Norway applications are closing in 2 weeks. Too late for me. I'll shoot for US PG, Germany and possibly France.

Thanks so much.

I will advice you on US, Australia, Canada or other English speaking Countries. Not that Germany, Norway, Poland etc are bad, but language barrier limits opportunities during and after study, except you learn language. Else, you getting stucked getting more degrees. English countries can be expensive to get into, but it's the best option.

5 Likes

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Attit: 4:13pm On Nov 25, 2021
JungleJustice01:

A little bio

3 options on my mind.

Thanks

Germany
You arent single anymore. If your spouse can cope with the language and lifestyle, why not? Your kids will not have trouble since they are growing up there. So, it is more of your spouse.

Australia
It's a good option, but during Covid-19 the Australian govt treated foreign students like trash. Indians have abandoned the country. It is a good option, but calculate very well. They speak English and you will have no trouble.

Canada
It is always the best option for Nigerians who can go through the skilled program. But life in Canada is not that exciting, I must let you know, except you are in a bubbling place like Ontario.

US
Overall in the future, this is your best option. But your chances are slim since you are married. You will end up divorcing your wife and marry another there to get your permanent stay. There is no other way ooooo. So, if you are a christian or a principled person, just forget this option. It is good for singles.

Alternative
The U.K is one of your best shots. Listen, if you have 5 million, hmmmmm....maybe you can get a cheap school. Just go to the UK ooo. Visa is very easy now if your account is loaded. On top, you are able to work outside as a student. You just need to worry about your first year pay. Then, hustle the rest of tuition over there. The good news is that after your education, you have automatic 3 years visa to stay behind and look for job as a PhD graduate. Master is 2 years. Brexit and Covid-19 have injured the UK economy and they are sourcing for skilled and unskilled workers in Asia and Africa seriously. The whole of EU got out of the UK after Brexit. That thing is hard presently on the British economy. Anyone who gets in now before they are stabilized has a bright future there. To me, the UK is your best bet since you habe a family.

But if you can hustle the US or Canada, great! Think twice about Germany. The derterminant factor whether to go to Germany is your spouse.

Agric expert
I am not sure you know the goodies in Agric in Nigeria. If you are an expert, why do you want to run away permanently? For what? Oga, go and learn artificial insemination and start producing cattles for dairy products. You will never regret it. Or is it vegetables -tomato, cucumber, cabbage, okra etc? You will make it huge. What have you been doing since you have access to agric info? Or are you just a theoretical expert?

Let me advise you, whatever you do, do not leave Nigeria and lock yourself up there since you are into agric. Chai! Opportunities are here. Come on. If it's just 3 months you can come to Naija in a year and you enter bush, millions will roll out. Your foreign exchange is a bonus to move your farm forward. Oga, if you know practical, you will not just be talking like this. You will be balling money presently.

If I were you, I would find a way to combine doing agric in naija and living abroad.

Anyway, goodluck sir!

19 Likes

Re: Whats My Best Relocation Choice? by Gertyman: 4:16pm On Nov 25, 2021
odimbannamdi:

Are You saying one can relocate with his family on Canadian student visa?

Yes, possible and happening. They are dependents, and families are not meant to be separated. Only that you will need to provide proof of fund that you can take care of them while you study.

The trick of getting student visa is this, the person that have the admission goes first. After few months, other family member can apply for visa to meet the primary applicant.

Not that all the family cannot apply at the same time, but do not show immigration intention, so that primary applicant can go first.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

No Sign Indicating 'One Way' On Oworonshoki Road / LASG Set To Construct New Airport On Lekki-Epe Axis / Top 10 Air Travel Companies With Most Plane Crashes In 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.