Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,383 members, 7,954,553 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:00 PM

What Skill Should I Choose? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Skill Should I Choose? (1130 Views)

Please Which Tech Skill Should I Learn / I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? / Which Skill Should I Go For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Skill Should I Choose? by nobody01: 12:51am On Nov 17, 2021
So, I did build a project with JavaScript but I don't really like JS. I am trying to let go of Python, but I just can't make it happen.

Now, I want to go into the freelance market preferably Upwork since there are devs on Nairaland with a lot of experience, so that they can serve as guides when I have difficulties.

So far I've been taking DS and Algo classes to improve on that area. My issue now is choosing where to delve into with my Python skill.

I feel Web Development is a bit saturated on Upwork. I have been looking into QA using Selenium, or making bots on Upwork. I'm currently avoiding full time jobs because I need to get my AWS certificate first, so that I can resume as a Solution Architect, DevOps or Cloud Engineer instead of a Backend Engineer.

Please gurus in the house what's your suggestion? How do I know what's trending on Upwork for Python, so that I can learn it. Also, if there places where I could get Python related gigs, I would appreciate if they are mentioned.

Qtguru, Tensazangetsu20, Karleb, spartan117, stanliwise
Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by airsaylongcome: 3:08am On Nov 17, 2021
Are you looking to be an AWS engineer solely based on passing the Amazon exams?
Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by stanliwise(m): 7:08am On Nov 17, 2021
nobody01:
So, I did build a project with JavaScript but I don't really like JS. I am trying to let go of Python, but I just can't make it happen.

Now, I want to go into the freelance market preferably Upwork since there are devs on Nairaland with a lot of experience, so that they can serve as guides when I have difficulties.

So far I've been taking DS and Algo classes to improve on that area. My issue now is choosing where to delve into with my Python skill.

I feel Web Development is a bit saturated on Upwork. I have been looking into QA using Selenium, or making bots on Upwork. I'm currently avoiding full time jobs because I need to get my AWS certificate first, so that I can resume as a Solution Architect, DevOps or Cloud Engineer instead of a Backend Engineer.

Please gurus in the house what's your suggestion? How do I know what's trending on Upwork for Python, so that I can learn it. Also, if there places where I could get Python related gigs, I would appreciate if they are mentioned.

What you’re asking for is vague and not clear at all.
There are many field of coding
DevOps
Hacking
Robotics
IoT
Web
Data science
Data analysis
AI/Machine learning

You see all the above, they are specialized skills and just mastering one of them could take 1-3 years of dedication.
So I don’t understand why you want to learn by how trending it is. Because within 2 years from now what is trending now may not trend tomorrow. Instead why not concentrate on how deep you can go in any of them and quality of value you can deliver.
Because that is how things work

So if web is saturated like you claim, you think you can just jump into another within next 2 month and start cashing out? E fit go shock you

Choose any and learn the depth of it let’s see if the money would not come out

1 Like

Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by qtguru(m): 7:58am On Nov 17, 2021
nobody01:

I think if you can write code, then you can take on QA Engineering since you won't be coding a product but automated testing and with Katalon Studio, that is a very good niche. Programming is saturated and you have to study a lot and keep learning to get gigs.

1 Like

Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by Gbsks: 9:01am On Nov 17, 2021
nobody01:

There are python jobs on upwork. We both share the same sentiment towards Js by the way, I no just like the thing as I prefer python. Check out data mining, Data extraction, web scraping, scripting and automation, python script jobs on upwork. And if you sabi data science too thera are opportunities for that as well. Like qtguru said you can also check out some QA opportunities, devops and cloud stuffs too.
Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by bedfordng(m): 1:33pm On Nov 17, 2021
You made mentioned of learning JavaScript and you have knowledge with python and you said you want to let go when there are lots of framework you can use for web.

Using their framework should not take you much to learn and the irony is that you can still do most of the stuffs you talked about like creating bots with Django, flask etc . I mostly recommend learning Django because it makes the job easy and comes with already made admin backend.

Most people won't really care what you used to develop the bot provided it does the job and easy to setup and now most shared hosting can be used to host your flask or Django web app on cpanel.

I used to think like this when I was leaning python basic and running it on command line wasn't really what I wanted. In fact, I also hated JavaScript So I tried to learn Django which so far is not bad.

Even at this, I still find myself learning basic JavaScript to get things done as one can't really run away from JavaScript if you go into web dev.

Funny thing is that you can learn the aspect of JavaScript to use for the job, not really advance if you don't have plans of becoming a full time JavaScript developer. You can do wonders with just basic JavaScript and Django, flask.

The aspect of JavaScript I learnt is manipulating of Dom and making Ajax request which one can use with Django or flask and it does the job without going into advance JavaScript.
Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by nobody01: 2:29am On Nov 22, 2021
@qtguru how do I search for trending skills related to Python that Nigerians are getting/doing on Upwork?
Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by qtguru(m): 9:29am On Nov 22, 2021
nobody01:
@qtguru how do I search for trending skills related to Python that Nigerians are getting/doing on Upwork?

Search for Python and Nigerians in Google search or from Upworks. You can see what gigs Naija python devs are doing.
Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by nobody01: 9:21pm On Nov 22, 2021
qtguru:

Search for Python and Nigerians in Google search or from Upworks. You can see what gigs Naija python devs are doing.

Thanks
Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by LikeAking: 10:35am On Nov 24, 2021
What u need is info & connect.

Web s saturated but a few are cashing out big here in Nigeria .
Re: What Skill Should I Choose? by codeigniter(m): 11:28am On Nov 24, 2021
stanliwise:

What you’re asking for is vague and not clear at all.
There are many field of coding
DevOps
Hacking
Robotics
IoT
Web
Data science
Data analysis
AI/Machine learning

You see all the above, they are specialized skills and just mastering one of them could take 1-3 years of dedication.
So I don’t understand why you want to learn by how trending it is. Because within 2 years from now what is trending now may not trend tomorrow. Instead why not concentrate on how deep you can go in any of them and quality of value you can deliver.
Because that is how things work

So if web is saturated like you claim, you think you can just jump into another within next 2 month and start cashing out? E fit go shock you

Choose any and learn the depth of it let’s see if the money would come out

The truth is bitter

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Javascript Resource!!! / Can You Imagine The Insult? / A Whizzkid In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.