Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You (15258 Views)

My Salary Is Way Lower Than My Colleagues, I Am In Pains!! (please Advice) / Night Security My Colleagues Exposing Himself Always While Sleeping / Stop Criticizing Us; Female Police Officer Celebrates Her Colleagues. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by babtaima(m): 1:12pm On Nov 18, 2021
SensualMan:
Well... A cross section of white folks dislike or do I say rather hate my guts. My gumption, My affront. They forget that am from naija, Nwa Anambra, Omo igbo! They hate to see me at work(corporate) with my dreadlocks. Rather they wanna see me in a street corner selling Jamaican CD's. They Say all sorta trash to the executives who are whites... But it still boils down am the best in that department. A very necessary evil.
Way to go man.. fellow dreadhead here, keep
Slaying man !
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Ussycool: 1:12pm On Nov 18, 2021
kwasoly:

Not true bro, from my experience in the industry I came to realize that the ICU guys are hated because they tend not to compromise when they do their job accurately without mixing it with feelings.

ICU are the detectives in the bank that safeguard the assets,etc against internal and external crime.
If they become too friendly there is a tendency for them to compromise. The bottom line is if you know what you are doing then you shouldn't be scared or hate them.
Anyway, goodluck to them. But we shouldn't hate our coleagues because of their job. Some of this guys are friendly and kind in real life.

1 Like

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by shopwiser: 1:13pm On Nov 18, 2021
emmanuelbrown26:

Mention me whenever u create it also where did u meet the bastard, is it on Nairaland?
yesss. His Nairaland Name is Cripsyfairly... Pls everyone should be aware and safe... You heard about that Nigerian girl that died in cote d'Ivoire when she eent and complain about her things stolen and the person that stole it is the police man nephew... My case is similar... I had jus had to leave the barracks immediately before those thieves do nonsense cos i don't even know if he is a soldier or not ..but a soldier can't be mad like him sha
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by vickydevoka(m): 1:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
shopwiser:
its a long story i could send a vn on WhatsApp if you are willing... Jus come through my signature sir ....i will explain the whole thing... person no go make me commit suicide sha....if i lose some...i gain some...by God grace....was holding that money tightly ooo not spending it ..but someone came and take it away...omo curse don follow am on God . ..
O.k. what doesn't kill you make you stronger, especially when you are striving to grow or blow. Buh believe you in me, if you eventually get to top you can't get to de bottom again bcus of your experiences.
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by CripsyFairly: 1:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
shopwiser:
yesss. His Nairaland Name is Cripsyfairly... Pls everyone should be aware and safe... You heard about that Nigerian girl that died in cote d'Ivoire when she eent and complain about her things stolen and the person that stole it is the police man nephew... My case is similar... I had jus had to leave the barracks immediately before those thieves do nonsense cos i don't even know if he is a soldier or not ..but a soldier can't be mad like him sha
I am viewing your stupidity.... Please make sure you come for me fast before I get you. You will use this same hands to write apology. There is no kind of name you haven't called me. I won't reply you. Keep writing. But for the money. Wait forever

BUT WHEN WE ARE READY. I WILL SEND YOUR MONEY... THE SAME WAY YOU CAME TO WRITE NONSENSE... YOU WILL USE THAT SAME HAND TO APOLOGY HERE TO GET YOUR MONEY PUBLICLY
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by snoopz: 1:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ussycool:
I am not a Audit officer nor a Manager but from the look of things, every job has two side of it. If you are harsh type (tough boss) that lack human sympathy, then 80% of your coleagues will hate you.

The man in question is to be blame, he should have understand that his relationship with people around him matters a lot.
My piece.

He is working in control and audit ffs, shady workers won't like him because he will detect fraud and corruption and recommend discipline or termination...
With their low turnout, the workers are corrupt. And that is not his fault for doing his job

2 Likes

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Ussycool: 1:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
PROPEACE:

This kind of thinking is the reason why your country is still labelled third world! Looking the other way when things are going wrong is exactly what you call "having human sympathy". We admire the developed world from afar but don't know that "lacking human sympathy" is what got them that far! That is why I pity anyone that sacrifice themselves for this country. We always cry wicked leaders! Wicked leaders! But we absolutely deserve them. We are too wicked to Nigeria to be able to stand good leaders, we'd kill them in a week!
Hmmn! Man, human sympathy do not hindered our development as a country. What undermined the Africa potential is Corruption, Bad leadership, and soon
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Ussycool: 1:23pm On Nov 18, 2021
snoopz:

He is working in control and audit ffs, shady workers won't like him because he will detect fraud and corruption and recommend discipline or termination...
With their low turnout, the workers are corrupt. And that is not his fault for doing his job
I now see reasons why they hate him.
Thanks man
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Klass99(f): 1:24pm On Nov 18, 2021
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Kajaard: 1:29pm On Nov 18, 2021
TriCee:
You can still smile at people while discharging tough duties.

I was at my supervisor's desk to gist about weekend games. After so much laughter, I returned to my seat. Baba called my desk phone and said ''bro check your mail, I sent you a query''!! I off grin

The query was for a previous day event o. He said ''my brother the work continues o''. I just laughed and responded to the query.

I am like that your supervisor cheesy

My guys know I am a nice guy but tough when it comes to the job and deliveries. That's how it's supposed to be cool

1 Like

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Kajaard: 1:32pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ussycool:

Hmmn! Man, human sympathy do not hindered our development as a country. What undermined the Africa potential is Corruption, Bad leadership, and soon

You just contradicted yourself. You talked about corruption and yet you don't know that one of the duties of the internal control audit officers is to investigate corporate corruption and recommend disciplinary actions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by rex21: 1:35pm On Nov 18, 2021
PROPEACE:

This kind of thinking is the reason why your country is still labelled third world! Looking the other way when things are going wrong is exactly what you call "having human sympathy". We admire the developed world from afar but don't know that "lacking human sympathy" is what got them that far! That is why I pity anyone that sacrifice themselves for this country. We always cry wicked leaders! Wicked leaders! But we absolutely deserve them. We are too wicked to Nigeria to be able to stand good leaders, we'd kill them in a week!
Thank you, you'v said it all
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Munzy14(m): 1:37pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hideki:
A childhood friend who works in the financial sector invited my family and I for his child's dedication. I honoured the invitation with my family but I observed that a section of the hall that was reserved for his colleagues was almost empty.

He was also not popular in church hence, only few members were present. The hall was about 20% filled. Thank God I went with my family at least we occupied space.

After the ceremony I asked his wife if he didn't inform his colleagues, she said " they hate him at the office, they hate him because he is in control/audit ". . She also said that " a lady has threatened my life once because, my husband investigated a case involving her and recommended that her services be terminated".

I pondered for a few minutes how I will cope if I were he? Control/Audit officers/Managers can you relate?
It depends on how he was discharging his duties...Probably in harsh and vindictive way...

This is where logic comes to pragmatic approach.

Same audit he does and created enmity, someone else will still do it and his/her colleagues will flood his occasion at least to appear friendly and closer in the good books.

The difference depends on individuals..

Some people act like demi-god when they are in control....But forgot the way up is down...The ladder you use climb, person fit remove am grin

And this your family friend even get mind to dey do high occasion..smh he should work on his ideas in General.

2 Likes

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by GboyegaD(m): 1:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
gerrardomendes:
I work with control and audit too. Approach to work matters a lot. Most of my friends are in other units and we flow well. We sit out together and enjoy ourselves. I am more like a father figure than an executioner to them. Though I take a tough stance when I need things to be done. It makes them confide in me and provide me necessary Intel. I deliberately let them know that I see everything they do and I will not hesitate to escalate any wrong doings. They fear me but don't hate me. They like me but don't disregard me. They feel my absence when am not around. They even prefer to talk to me than to talk to their supervisors. We are all employees and there is life after work. Do the right thing but don't kill people in the process. Give them a long arm to improve except the person deliberately wants to perpetuate fraud and put you in trouble. The job has taught me that no one has a permanent seat. Today you may be the oga, tomorrow you may be reporting to someone who was your boy. Policies change, positions get collapsed from time to time, roles are redefined and reassigned. If the tables turn, will you remain relevant in the system? Will other units wholeheartedly absorb you if you are drafted? I have seen people who saw themselves as king Kong beg their former subordinates for favours. Some lost their job and are struggling because nobody wants to associate with the wicked. That teller might be the door to your next level after you leave that job. As a Guy man you need to use your head.

You summarized it all. Audit should be your friend and you should be open to explain your mistakes even before a ticket is raised against you. Auditors too should remember they are not God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by PROPEACE: 1:40pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ussycool:

Hmmn! Man, human sympathy do not hindered our development as a country. What undermined the Africa potential is Corruption, Bad leadership, and so on
See the way I am laughing and rolling on the ground after reading your post. Allowing someone to swindle your company is what you call human sympathy right? That's corruption! And bad leadership? You think as an auditor he is not a leader right? How funny! With that kind of thinking, tell me, how is it even possible for us to have good leadership when we are bad as a people? You think you can be unprincipled as an auditor but when you become a president, then you become good? That is why we are bound to always have wicked leaders. We deserve them!

3 Likes

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by emmanuelbrown26: 1:42pm On Nov 18, 2021
shopwiser:
Create the thread let me help u broadcast it na, I have being checking your profile I'm yet to see anything
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Hideki(m): 1:45pm On Nov 18, 2021
Munzy14:

It depends on how he was discharging his duties...Probably in harsh and vindictive way...

Same audit he does and created enmity, someone else will still do it and his/her colleagues will flood his occasion at least to appear friendly and closer in the good books.

Some people act like demi-god when they are in control....But forgot the way up is down...The ladder you use climb, person fit remove am grin

And this your family friend even get mind to dey do high occasion..smh he should work on his ideas in General.
I wouldn't know because I am not in control/audit. However, he is a good guy and a loving father.
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Oyerinde16(m): 1:49pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ussycool:
I am not a Audit officer nor a Manager but from the look of things, every job has two side of it. If you are harsh type (tough boss) that lack human sympathy, then 80% of your coleagues will hate you.

The man in question is to be blame, he should have understand that his relationship with people around him matters a lot.
My piece.

If you allow relationships in jobs, you will not succeed, most people will take advantage and your own job will be on the line...
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Hideki(m): 1:49pm On Nov 18, 2021
Munzy14:

He is a good man. Some of the few persons I know that will never tell a lie. Perhaps, experience on the job changes people
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Klass99(f): 1:49pm On Nov 18, 2021
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Munzy14(m): 1:55pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hideki:
He is a good man. Some of the few persons I know that will never tell a lie. Perhaps, experience on the job changes people
Of course an auditor is expected to be honsest na..

Believe me there are cool ways to discharge your duties and everyone won't feel the auditor's hammer..

If everybody likes or hate you, you surely have a problem.

Normal way, some will like you, some will hate you..

Well for his case, like nicolo Machiavelli stated in one of his books, it is better to be feared...The disadvantage is, anyday he mess up, it is over.
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Gboliwe: 2:00pm On Nov 18, 2021
Olatara:
Maybe he is an introvert grin

I am a 98% introvert. Do you have an idea what that means? If he is an introvert, his MO will change
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by INTEGRITYA1(m): 2:01pm On Nov 18, 2021
gerrardomendes:
I work with control and audit too. Approach to work matters a lot. Most of my friends are in other units and we flow well. We sit out together and enjoy ourselves. I am more like a father figure than an executioner to them. Though I take a tough stance when I need things to be done. It makes them confide in me and provide me necessary Intel. I deliberately let them know that I see everything they do and I will not hesitate to escalate any wrong doings. They fear me but don't hate me. They like me but don't disregard me. They feel my absence when am not around. They even prefer to talk to me than to talk to their supervisors. We are all employees and there is life after work. Do the right thing but don't kill people in the process. Give them a long arm to improve except the person deliberately wants to perpetuate fraud and put you in trouble. The job has taught me that no one has a permanent seat. Today you may be the oga, tomorrow you may be reporting to someone who was your boy. Policies change, positions get collapsed from time to time, roles are redefined and reassigned. If the tables turn, will you remain relevant in the system? Will other units wholeheartedly absorb you if you are drafted? I have seen people who saw themselves as king Kong beg their former subordinates for favours. Some lost their job and are struggling because nobody wants to associate with the wicked. That teller might be the door to your next level after you leave that job. As a Guy man you need to use your head.

From; no doubt a very matured and progressive mind.

I Salute you Sir.
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Hideki(m): 2:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
Klass99:

In a way I can relate because the Internal Control & Audit guys at my workplace are not well liked either.

They are always at logger heads with other colleagues or their HOD is fighting with other HODs.

I get along with the HOD just fine and I like him, because our interactions have been pleasant so far, but people have beef with him.

I think ICA staff are generally not well liked, it is not an individual thing and if I was your friend's wife I will not take a threat against my life lightly, before person go rearrange my face with acid.

I hope the threat incident was reported?
Whenever the audit team pays my location a visit, I always ensure we hit the lounge for the brief period they are going to spend with us. We usually flow in and out. When there are some grey areas we can refer to the SOP or just argue it out. But it ends there and later in the evening we hit the Lounge. I have a lot of friends who are heading several audit units and sometimes they help out quite well.
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by SmartyPants(m): 2:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hideki:
A childhood friend who works in the financial sector invited my family and I for his child's dedication. I honoured the invitation with my family but I observed that a section of the hall that was reserved for his colleagues was almost empty.

He was also not popular in church hence, only few members were present. The hall was about 20% filled. Thank God I went with my family at least we occupied space.

After the ceremony I asked his wife if he didn't inform his colleagues, she said " they hate him at the office, they hate him because he is in control/audit ". . She also said that " a lady has threatened my life once because, my husband investigated a case involving her and recommended that her services be terminated".

I pondered for a few minutes how I will cope if I were he? Control/Audit officers/Managers can you relate?

I knew this would be about compliance and internal audit people. When i worked in banking, I had a friend who was head of compliance and he told me the secret. He was so jovial with everyone on a normal basis but when it comes to investigating things, he was uncompromising.

That's the secret. Be everyone's friend but also develop a reputation for doing the right thing always.
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by shopwiser: 2:07pm On Nov 18, 2021
CripsyFairly:
I am viewing your stupidity.... Please make sure you come for me fast before I get you. You will use this same hands to write apology. There is no kind of name you haven't called me. I won't reply you. Keep writing. But for the money. Wait forever

BUT WHEN WE ARE READY. I WILL SEND YOUR MONEY... THE SAME WAY YOU CAME TO WRITE NONSENSE... YOU WILL USE THAT SAME HAND TO APOLOGY HERE TO GET YOUR MONEY PUBLICLY
tarr getout .......eat the money... If you wanna send my money you would do it immediately and stop wasting time...its good to do the right things don't forget....eat the 43k... Na wetin dey my mind i go do now... And if they born you well i repeat if they born you well .. pls send ur people... More reason i will easily locate you and arrest you.... fraudster with no shame ....eat the 43k... I'm already working on legal proceedings to get you grin cheesy

Guys he is the scammer... Cripsy Fairly... I sent a money to him for business and he refused to send it back... And he can lie alot...jus contradicting himself.. i have all the evidence on my fone

1 Like

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Munzy14(m): 2:07pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hideki:
I wouldn't know because I am not in control/audit. However, he is a good guy and a loving father.
Probably how you see him...

I read where you said his wife said some from her husband's work place ones threatened her...

These things linger for a while, you will think the person have moved on, story when they can't, they will do it the street way..

Last week, a man was about dropping his kids at school, when some guys double crossed him, I don't know how he mustered courage to jam his car with theirs, opened door and jumped fence..The guys shot at his direction but miss the target.

Funny thing, he left his kids, but the guys didn't go for his kids...Probably he is the main target for termination..Things like that can be traced from work place.

When you have a job to do, do it well, and build bridges as well...No do like say you holy pass...And use humour and smartness to paralyse the dirty mindset of some colleague atimes.
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Munzy14(m): 2:09pm On Nov 18, 2021
SmartyPants:

I knew this would be about compliance and internal audit people. When i worked in banking, I had a friend who was head of compliance and he told me the secret. He was so jovial with everyone on a normal basis but when it comes to investigating things, he was uncompromising.

That's the secret. Be everyone's friend but also develop a reputation for doing the right thing always.
Exactly how it is done...Be playful...But discharge your duties to your best knowledge.....
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Unclesamo(m): 2:10pm On Nov 18, 2021
shopwiser:
yes bro... I'm on that .. he doesn't know what will hit him soon ..plus i wasn't even trying to involve my parents cos of the shame on my part.. i was even pleading with the thief, he built his confidence.. now I'm going to put him to where he rightfully belongs....I have started preparing every legal action on this thieve... And that account name he used... I don't care who she is.. they must pack her too and join

Painful part is that he is secretly viewing all these grin

kindly open a separate topic in crime section in order to creat awareness.

1 Like

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Hideki(m): 2:15pm On Nov 18, 2021
Munzy14:

Probably how you see him...

I read where you said his wife said some from her husband's work place ones threatened her...

These things linger for a while, you will think the person have moved on, story when they can't, they will do it the street way..

Last week, a man was about dropping his kids at school, when some guys double crossed him, I don't know how he mustered courage to jam his car with theirs, opened door and jumped fence..The guys shot at his direction but miss the target.

Funny thing, he left his kids, but the guys didn't go for his kids...Probably he is the main target for termination..Things like that can be traced from work place.

When you have a job to do, do it well, and build bridges as well...No do like say you holy pass...And use humour and smartness to paralyse the dirty mindset of some colleague atimes.
This is serious...but work is work and it should be done diligently
Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Drella(m): 2:17pm On Nov 18, 2021
44nuggets:
It’s not easy to be an Auditor.

It is called Ectopic pregnancy or Extrauterine pregnancy. cool

44nuggets

1 Like

Re: When Your Career Makes Your Colleagues Dislike You by Elsueno: 2:28pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ussycool:

My piece.

I totally disagree, most Nigerian workers are corrupt, so if u are gonna do ur job well, a Large percentage of them will hate you...But if u decided to ignore & cover for them, you will be the most loved & every corrupt worker would drop something either directly or indirectly cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 8 Money Tips For Salary Earners / Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over / 3 African Tips For Starting Small & Growing Big In Your Business & Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.