Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF (19716 Views)

Sign Fireman Miracle Crusade In Ikorodu, Lagos, Nigeria Was Very Massive! / How The First Christmas In Nigeria Was Celebrated In 1842 / How First Church In Nigeria Was Built In Abeokuta By Desalu, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by HonNL: 6:01pm On Nov 18, 2021
Previous Thread: https://www.nairaland.com/6854883/religious-persecution-us-delists-nigeria

USCIRF Appalled at Administration’s Removal of Nigeria from List of Violators of Religious Freedom

Welcomes State Department’s Additional Designations of Russia and Algeria

Washington, DC – The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) finds it unexplainable that the U.S. Department of State did not redesignate Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” (CPC) and treated it as a country with no severe religious freedom violations.

“USCIRF is disappointed that the State Department did not adopt our recommendations in designating the countries that are the worst violators of religious freedom,” said USCIRF Chair Nadine Maenza. “While the State Department took steps forward on some designations, USCIRF is especially displeased with the removal of Nigeria from its CPC designation, where it was rightfully placed last year, as well as the omission of India, Syria, and Vietnam. We urge the State Department to reconsider its designations based on facts presented in its own reporting.”

Pursuant to the International Religious Freedom Act (IRFA), the countries the State Department designated as CPCs are Burma, China, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Eritrea, Iran, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan, all besides Russia previously had been designated. USCIRF recommended CPC designation for all 10 in its 2021 Annual Report and also recommended that India, Nigeria, Syria, and Vietnam be designated as CPCs.

The State Department placed on its “Special Watch List” (SWL) Algeria, Comoros, Cuba, and Nicaragua. USCIRF recommended in its 2021 Annual Report that Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Egypt, Indonesia, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Turkey, and Uzbekistan also be placed on the SWL. USCIRF recently released a factsheet reiterating its CPC and SWL recommendations, which explains the religious freedom violations in these countries supporting USCIRF’s recommendations.

“While USCIRF is concerned about the lack of designations for countries USCIRF recommended, Russia’s designation for the first time as a CPC for engaging in systematic, ongoing, and egregious violations of religious freedom is welcomed. USCIRF has proposed this action since 2017. For years, USCIRF has raised the alarm regarding the Russian government’s purge of ‘non-traditional’ religions and religious freedom repression,” said USCIRF Vice Chair Nury Turkel. “USCIRF also applauds the inclusion of Algeria in the State Department’s SWL designations this year, which USCIRF has recommended since 2020 due to continued enforcement of blasphemy laws and restrictions on houses of worship for minority religious communities.”

USCIRF also welcomed the State Department’s designations of nine Entities of Particular Concern (EPCs), which are non-state actors that engage in systematic, ongoing, and egregious violations of religious freedom pursuant to IRFA. USCIRF recommended the designation of seven of these actors including al-Shabaab, Boko Haram, the Houthis, Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), Islamic State in the Greater Sahara (ISGS), Jamaat Nasr al-Islam wal Muslimin (JNIM), and the Taliban in its 2021 Annual Report.

The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom

8 Likes

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Mrglobal1: 6:37pm On Nov 18, 2021
cool
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by kingxsamz(m): 6:37pm On Nov 18, 2021

1 Like

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by nextstep(m): 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
There is an amazing amount of religious tolerance in Nigeria. I'm actually surprised we're on this list in the first place. We all accept that we have so many types of religious adherants and sects... the only instance of persecution I can think of is of Shia (Zakzaky's people), under the guise of terrorism; but there's also the persecution of IPOB and Oduduwa folks too, do it's not religious per say.

Anyways, either way, the news will pain some, it will sweet some.

28 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by A001: 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
Nigeria is one of the top countries in the world with stringent restrictions on religious freedom.

It's home to many extremists and superstitious people that would demonize you unnecessarily for being irreligious.

The US is only being politically correct by removing Nigeria from the list of violators of religious freedom.

Buhari's Nigeria should actually top the list or be among the top contenders.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Racoon(m): 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
Nope! The terrorists laden government of Nigeria is still on the list of such countries.

16 Likes

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by BigYash: 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
Make US go sleep..
Them really say Biden na one of them..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by abobote: 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
Dont mind sleeping Joe, Nigeria was delisted without reason, without meeting any criteria

4 Likes

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by truthstands01: 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
Biden is a total disgrace. He's everything anti-christian. He'll reap the fruits he's sowing in million folds.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by lesbiconverter: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
When Nigeria refused to recognize LGBT community grin

Jesus Christ is coming soon

1 Like

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by KingDash: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
davido dey do fundraising for him bday, 1 day talk.. when wizkid go win another grammy my kids kids go dey talk about am for a thousand years. wizkid, Burna boy and Messi, y'all are the GOAT.
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
angry

Let's be honest with ourselves. Is Nigeria a violator of religious freedom?

Some of the world's largest church auditoriums are located in Nigeria.

Some of the world's richest pastors are from Nigeria.

Nigeria is location to some of the largest religious events and crusades. As I speak, House on the Rock has concluded plans for this year's edition of THE EXPERIENCE in a couple of weeks. Other churches will also host their programs.

Nigeria is one of the few countries in the world with the largest number of churches per street. You can count at least two churches or fellowships on each street.

Some of the world's most ruthless Islamic extremist are in Nigeria.

Some of the world's most powerful and diabolical traditionalist are in Nigeria.

We even have a group that claims to be Jews.

I'm not against Christianity, Islam, Judaism or any other religion in Nigeria. I just want to understand why they say that Nigeria is a religious violator.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by MadamVanessa(f): 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
The day Americans stupidly vote in sleepy joe, i just knew it's finished.

Trump was the greatest, God blese that man.

8 Likes

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by morikee: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hmm
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by brizziedos(m): 6:40pm On Nov 18, 2021
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Falseprofet2: 6:40pm On Nov 18, 2021
angry
I see most Christians condemning this delisting
I see muric welcoming it

I see nobody speaking for traditionalist who are oppressed by christians and muslims
This

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by domopps(m): 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2021
Why ?

Cheers
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Vicotex(m): 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2021
wrong list, nigeria must be in the list
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by badoh(m): 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2021
U.S is threatened by the growing influence of china, Russia etc reason they refused to delist these countries.

1 Like

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by abobote: 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2021
KingDash:
davido dey do fundraising for him bday, 1 day talk.. when wizkid go win another grammy my kids kids go dey talk about am for a thousand years. wizkid, Burna boy and Messi, y'all are the GOAT.
When you are not making it, you are hating. What will your kids talk about you?

1 Like

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Strongbest(m): 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2021
Getting hot. I don't know what it's that informed their decision but let the truth rule.
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by meolaniyi(m): 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ok
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Clintifydan(m): 6:42pm On Nov 18, 2021
China would seize world power before the year 2050

1 Like

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by KingDash: 6:43pm On Nov 18, 2021
abobote:

When you are not making it, you are hating. What will your kids talk about you?
bros money dey for my kids no reason am...
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Shaev7(m): 6:43pm On Nov 18, 2021
Make una fund me.
Nothing is too small
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by MorataFC: 6:44pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ojk
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by Bari22: 6:46pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by treatise: 6:47pm On Nov 18, 2021
Democratic the party of Obama is in charge of Washington, it was expected ; John Kerry visited first Sultan of Sokoto before any other place in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF by daddytime(m): 6:48pm On Nov 18, 2021
Lol

Nothing goes for nothing.

The more you look, the less you see.

Na the resultant agreement dem come sign for the topic wey dey under this one so.

The only country that'd be able to stand up for Nigeria to what is coming is Russia and I hope we can get them onboard as a deterring factor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Again, TB Joshua Missing At Building Collapse Hearing / T.B. Joshua Is Too Small To Allow Someone Speak Against Men Of God / I Have Been Born Again For Over 100 Times... Pls Help A Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.