Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,074 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase (11319 Views)

Lagos Workers Get 20% Salary Increase, LASG To Implement From January 2023 / Would You Tell Your Spouse Of Salary Increase / After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by dfrost: 9:50am On Nov 19, 2021
juniorstar:

Wow that's ×3.5 business must be really moving oo...

You really don't want to know the railway revenue figures, trust me
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 19, 2021
dfrost:
grin angry

Funny but not funny at the same time. So invariably they are asking for ₦115,000 to be added.

It is still nothing. That's ₦145,000 a month, taxable not THP.
aleast still a bit sustainable than a paltry 30k
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by shopwiser: 9:57am On Nov 19, 2021
His Nairaland name is Cripsyfairly

Any body that deal with this guy will regret.. he is a thief impersonatiolng being an officer plus he is a ritualist.. i barely escaped with my life 2 days ago... Police is on the matter... His guy almost stab me 2 days ago...i was stabbed in my hands inside the same barracks....I tried purchasing his redmi note 9s and i was scammed 43k... Aje... on my ancestors i will hunt you down... You can't escape...you will see...

This is his number.. 09131490899. He calls himself Lieutenant ifeanyi.

The account number he uses to steal is

2040300362 FIRST BANK

BRINGIDE AMBER ROSE

I have pictures of the guy too...

He is a thief... Serious thief....

A link to his thiefery thread https://www.nairaland.com/6850405/#107627525

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by stepaside2: 9:57am On Nov 19, 2021
I sincerely sympathise with the workers and govt should try to meet them halfway. However, I dont believe train drivers earn 30k per month. That is FG's minimum wage which they pay religiously, only some states have problems paying. I even heard 26k per month on Arise TV this morning. Are they saying train drivers are the least paid in NRC? Not cleaners, office assistants and other lower jobs in that same organisation? They also said the last review of service conditions was in 1983, haba.

Can we think of privatising the railways. Govt has put rail infrastructure in place. Time now for private professionals to manage them. You will find out that NRC staff are bloated in numbers and not very efficient, yet they want 350% raise. We don't need to increase our wage bills and keep crying about bloated recurrent expenditure. Let private hands take over. They will bring down cost of operations, maintain only required staff who are well paid and motivated.

2 Likes

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by aribisala0(m): 9:58am On Nov 19, 2021
Government should concession this because they cannot operate any business profitably in Nigeria
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by dfrost: 9:59am On Nov 19, 2021
Paxxcarl:
aleast still a bit sustainable than a paltry 30k

Yes but still doesn't cut it.
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by Mayeldah(m): 10:01am On Nov 19, 2021
AlphaAlex:
grin grin grin Any Victory By BuBu is always short lived the man cannot Sustain An Erection talk less of A Full Country … cheesy grin

Bubu thing no dey work na grin grin grin grin

Even when he enter paradise, him 72 virgins na another bandit go dey smash them. Pathetic

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by SportsHD: 10:03am On Nov 19, 2021
dfrost:

If you don't want to, you won't. No excuse for corruption.
Yeah, that's another angle.
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 19, 2021
timefarm:
We need to starting running some of this government agencies as a business.

Your earnings should be able to pay your salary and other associated costs of operation.

Good idea but the cost of tickets would shoot up.

Which most Nigerians don't want

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by juniorstar(m): 10:16am On Nov 19, 2021
dfrost:

You really don't want to know the railway revenue figures, trust me
It means say those firms wey dey do e-ticketing go dey cash out on a steady.
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 19, 2021
stepaside2:
I sincerely sympathise with the workers and govt should try to meet them halfway. However, I dont believe train drivers earn 30k per month. That is FG's minimum wage which they pay religiously, only some states have problems paying. I even heard 26k per month on Arise TV this morning. Are they saying train drivers are the least paid in NRC? Not cleaners, office assistants and other lower jobs in that same organisation? They also said the last review of service conditions was in 1983, haba.

Can we think of privatising the railways. Govt has put rail infrastructure in place. Time now for private professionals to manage them. You will find out that NRC staff are bloated in numbers and not very efficient, yet they want 350% raise. We don't need to increase our wage bills and keep crying about bloated recurrent expenditure. Let private hands take over. They will bring down cost of operations, maintain only required staff who are well paid and motivated.

I think we should privatise the railways

But that means ticket prices will go up well well

See British railways . In the 1970s when it was goverment run, tickets were very cheap. Now as a private enterprise tickets are very expensive.

Nigerians won't agree. And no private company is going to come in and manage the railways and keep prices low. They won't recoup their investment and make enough profit to expand the railways

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by poiZon: 10:20am On Nov 19, 2021
If this is happening in NRC, imagine what will happen if Nigeria Airways come onboard, those workers that were summarily dismissed amd the ones left redundant for years will hold the govt hostage and billions invested will now slowly become a mirage...

Let private sector manage certain things...
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by dfrost: 10:23am On Nov 19, 2021
juniorstar:

It means say those firms wey dey do e-ticketing go dey cash out on a steady.

Like I said “you don't want to know the stats“.
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by Alary: 10:24am On Nov 19, 2021
It is pathetic though , the issue of drivers earning 30k per month is baseless. Minimum wage is 30k already and I believe the drivers wont be less than level 6 , so they should be earning more than that.
And to think of , NRC or what they are called what have they been doing all these years before Buhari revitalize the railway industry with loans up and down and building standard Train stations couple with 3 lanes of rail lines. How many trains are working, how much work are the doing since then but they are collecting their salary since then , but government didn't find it deem to sack or prune the work force.But now the government have recruited more staff to the ones on ground making their overhead double or triple what they use to pay., the issue here is the government should have factor the salary of the staff in the loan they collected. Well Amaechi should press the button o , at least Pantami did the same for NIMC workers.

2 Likes

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by Litmus: 10:41am On Nov 19, 2021
The root cause of most problem in Nigeria is lack of Organisation. For instance, I bet you the way government and institutions pay workers in Nigeria has no solid structure and this leads to leakages, phantom workers, backlogs,ommisions, lateness, bottlenecks, mismanagement, in addition to exploitations associated with corruption. Together this leads to financial wastages and inability to efficiently maximise the benefits of the small gains made; for example, in this instance, the fledgling railway sector.

When all Nigerians employed, in at least the formal sectors, are paid through the banks, we shall begin to get somewhere. But generally, Nigeria should begin by encouraging all Nigerians to own bank accounts.

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by SIONKPO1(m): 10:52am On Nov 19, 2021
stepaside2:

Level 6(National Diploma holders earn 31k,while Level 4-SSCE earns around 24k,Railway staff are really really suffering

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by Litmus: 10:54am On Nov 19, 2021
In the UK, where I now live, you can't get work unless you own a bank account. And, usually, your employer, as part of job application, helps you get bank account.
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by princealuminium: 10:56am On Nov 19, 2021
This one the worst agency of government, low moral, poor salary structure and their pensioners are indebted. My God help and hear their voices

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by SIONKPO1(m): 10:57am On Nov 19, 2021
poiZon:
If this is happening in NRC, imagine what will happen if Nigeria Airways come onboard, those workers that were summarily dismissed amd the ones left redundant for years will hold the govt hostage and billions invested will now slowly become a mirage...

Let private sector manage certain things...

You are wrong Railway has been working just that it wasn't commercially viable,until GEJ did the work and PMB sustained it,Railway workers are really trying
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by adenigga(m): 11:15am On Nov 19, 2021
AlphaAlex:
grin grin grin Any Victory By BuBu is always short lived the man cannot Sustain An Erection talk less of A Full Country … cheesy grin
Please, don't kill me with laughter o.......

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by ITbomb(m): 11:20am On Nov 19, 2021
To say all those loan money Ameachi put into railways, it was invested in Power, Buhari for be the best president.
But na Naija, you put money only where you fit chop

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by poiZon: 11:25am On Nov 19, 2021
SIONKPO1:

You are wrong Railway has been working just that it wasn't commercially viable,until GEJ did the work and PMB sustained it,Railway workers are really trying
Working from where to where? U call lagos-ibadan railway working?
Haven't seen a train in my entire life, just saw some disfunctional tracks in ph n aba n lagos along apapa axis.

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by BABANGBALI: 11:45am On Nov 19, 2021
That’s the way to go.

You Dey toast girl for November?

Bros you get mind o
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by stepaside2: 11:45am On Nov 19, 2021
backbencher:

See British railways . In the 1970s when it was goverment run, tickets were very cheap. Now as a private enterprise tickets are very expensive.

Nigerians won't agree. And no private company is going to come in and manage the railways and keep prices low. They won't recoup their investment and make enough profit to expand the railways
Good point. If we don't privatise, there can't be competitive services and further investments. There is a limit to what govt can do. To stop corruption and ineptitude, you have to let market forces determine prices. See the telecoms sector which is privatised and compare with NRC. We want good services and good pay but are not prepared to pay for them. We want subsidized prices for everything, so make do with subsidized salary. We want to make omelette but do not want to break eggs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by eebraa(m): 12:07pm On Nov 19, 2021
Madness. Who will give you 350% increase? So staff that work in Nigeria Railway Corporation in non serviceable stations all over the country will get the same 350%? Why are we deceiving ourselves? Sone staff are in Kafanchan, Jos, Oturkpo, Minna, Enugu etc. They don't do any work and wait till end of the month to collect salary and you want them to have 350% increase
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by mapet: 12:35pm On Nov 19, 2021
backbencher:

stepaside2: :

The rails are not ready for full privatization yet. The Ibadan-Kaduna axis needs to be done and that it where it will make economic sense. I also agree with you that going private means ticket prices will go up. Government may be trying to build the rail infrastructure and then concession it to private individuals. This will lessen the burden on privatization and on the people.

These people on strike need to slow their roll. The train is not fully build yet. These strikes sends wrong signals to foreign lenders.

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by tctrills: 12:36pm On Nov 19, 2021
adenigga:

Source: https://punchng.com/Protesting-railway-workers-ground-stations-demand-350%-salary-increase
Our trains generate less than 1.4 billion naira yearly and cost 60 billion to maintain.
Also, we would be paying back billions of dollars for the railway construction loans.
Yet, our government still wants to borrow more and build rails to Niger republic.

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by mapet: 12:38pm On Nov 19, 2021
Alary:
It is pathetic though , the issue of drivers earning 30k per month is baseless. Minimum wage is 30k already and I believe the drivers wont be less than level 6 , so they should be earning more than that.
And to think of , NRC or what they are called what have they been doing all these years before Buhari revitalize the railway industry with loans up and down and building standard Train stations couple with 3 lanes of rail lines. How many trains are working, how much work are the doing since then but they are collecting their salary since then , but government didn't find it deem to sack or prune the work force.But now the government have recruited more staff to the ones on ground making their overhead double or triple what they use to pay., the issue here is the government should have factor the salary of the staff in the loan they collected. Well Amaechi should press the button o , at least Pantami did the same for NIMC workers.

Many at times these union people paint not-too-correct picture to further their cause. You may find out that the 30k being reference had some conditions - may be some of these drivers are contract staff and there is a clamour to have them fully staffed, thus an emotional 30k narrative.
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by Ofunaofu: 12:39pm On Nov 19, 2021
Hmmmmm
There is something I don't seem to understand, please I need enlightenment.

Fashola is the minister of works and housing. he oversees. "Only" road constructions and housing, railway construction is not part of his job description.

Amaechi is the minister of transport, he oversees "only" railway construction projects. Why is he not overseeing roads construction because they are also used in transporting humans, goods and services.
Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by mapet: 12:41pm On Nov 19, 2021
Litmus:
The root cause of most problem in Nigeria is lack of Organisation. For instance, I bet you the way government and institutions pay workers in Nigeria has no solid structure and this leads to leakages, phantom workers, backlogs,ommisions, lateness, bottlenecks, mismanagement, in addition to exploitations associated with corruption. Together this leads to financial wastages and inability to efficiently maximise the benefits of the small gains made; for example, in this instance, the fledgling railway sector.

When all Nigerians employed, in at least the formal sectors, are paid through the banks, we shall begin to get somewhere. But generally, Nigeria should begin by encouraging all Nigerians to own bank accounts.

You just made two paragraphs in ignorance. Federal workers and in parastatals are paid directly from the Single platform through IPIS system. Their salaries are paid directly through the banks

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by mapet: 12:42pm On Nov 19, 2021
Litmus:
In the UK, where I now live, you can't get work unless you own a bank account. And, usually, your employer, as part of job application, helps you get bank account.

Pls UK people, ask questions and stop making blind assumptions. It is not in all things you must paint Nigeria bad..

1 Like

Re: Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase by mapet: 12:43pm On Nov 19, 2021
poiZon:

Haven't seen a train in my entire life.....

Just keep it simple

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

20 Quotes To Inspire Great Teamwork. / What Would You Do If You Know You’ll Be Sacked Next Week? / Should I Change My Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.