Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,813 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? (45888 Views)

Help My New Baby Has Jaundice / 40 U.S. Doctors Operate On 1-Week-Old Baby With Huge Growth On Her Neck(Pics) / Healthy Skin Tips: How To Get Beautiful Skin In Just 2weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by pavoda: 4:02pm On Nov 19, 2021
Usually baby's have 2 fontanelles on their heads. The larger one is located on the top of the skull while the smaller one is located somewhere around the back of the head.
The reason for these fontanelles are to give your baby's head the flexibility it needs to squeeze and mold itself to fit through the birth canal during delivery and also to accommodate further growth and development of the brain and skull.

There is usually no need to worry if your baby’s fontanelle seems slightly indented. if the baby fontanelle has a markedly sunken soft spot, it’s important that you give additional fluids quickly, for breastfeeding mothers, feed more often.

Sunken fontanelle, may signal dehydration, especially if the baby has any other worrying symptoms and you may need the attention of a healthcare professional.

There’s no need to be worried about your baby’s fontanelle, if you notice that baby’s soft spot appears very sunken, contact a pediatrician right away

2 Likes

Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Chigold101(m): 4:03pm On Nov 19, 2021
verybadmouth:
Doctors in the house please I need your advice. Is it a problem I should be very worried about or would it close in no time. Please help

File Photos
It's not a problem.
My son had it and it has closed up. He is 6 months old today.

The thing is that when we noticed it we were advised to start giving him water instead of only breast milk.

Nothing to worry about
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Elidrisy20: 4:04pm On Nov 19, 2021
It's not a problem, just breast feed him well
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Shokoloko(f): 4:04pm On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:
No Your biography will make a good book not doubt but it is no relevant here

The point s simple

Health Advice is best obtained from professionals.

This is especially the case for a child that is so young

Everything else is foolishness

Again you have proved the reason why this mother came to a forum to ask a question. You have called someone's experience irrrelevant, much like what a doctor would do. They are trained to treat from a very non-personal and non-emotional angle.
This mother is actually looking for social support along with treatment advice.

No it is not foolishness. Before health professionals became, we were.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by arkonpoint: 4:04pm On Nov 19, 2021
Had same issue with my first born, took more than his first year for it to cover up. Apply coconut oil to the place regularly
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by peacettw: 4:05pm On Nov 19, 2021
verybadmouth:

Truly I understand the term but you know, it is better to get a clearer understanding from people that have had real life experiences.

Ok I understand. Besides dehydration, there aren't too many pathologies that cause sunken fontanelle.

As long as your baby suckles well, and is generally okay, you don't have to worry. Congratulations
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by aribisala0(m): 4:06pm On Nov 19, 2021
Shokoloko:

Again you have proved the reason why this mother came to a forum to ask a question. You have called someone's experience irrrelevant, much like what a doctor would do. They are trained to treat from a very non-personal and non-emotional angle.
This mother is actually looking for social support along with treatment advice.

No it is not foolishness. Before health professionals became, we were.

Use your head what is the relevance of bow legs to this matter.

We are talking of a child under one month old.

Any responsible mother who has a brain should know what to do . If they do not then they do not deserve the child
Someone who can find the term "sunken fontanelle" should know what to do

Clearly this is another fictional story from an attention seeker
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Lokojatoofar: 4:07pm On Nov 19, 2021
Baby is not feeding well. It is dehydrated. Pls let mom try to feed more often
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Shokoloko(f): 4:07pm On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:

Use your head what is the relevance of bow legs to this matter.

We are talking of a child under one month old.

Any responsible mother who has a brain should know what to do . If they do not then they do not deserve the child

Please do not say that.

Nobody is born with parental knowledge

We learn on the job

The OP is a very wise young lady, because even if one knows the right thing to do, as long as it concerns a human child you have to confirm that what you know to do is the right thing
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by olumose001(m): 4:10pm On Nov 19, 2021
Beremx:
Sign of dehydration. Please give him water to drink everyday. Avoid giving him strong antibiotics to avoid stories that touches the heart. I am talking from experience.
Chai, give 2 weeks old baby water to drink
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Milliej(f): 4:10pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kindly see a Doctor.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by aribisala0(m): 4:11pm On Nov 19, 2021
Shokoloko:

Please do not say that.

Nobody is born with parental knowledge

We learn on the job

The OP is a very wise young lady, because even if one knows the right thing to do, as long as it concerns a human child you have to confirm that what you know to do is the right thing

The right thing to do is to ask a professional
Someone who can find the term "sunken fontanelle" should know that.

Clearly this is just another "I want to trend" attention seeking thread

The thread will not end with any illumination

just the usual nairaland noise and grandstanding

Bottomline is
Go and get expert help
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Sheriman(m): 4:13pm On Nov 19, 2021
grin grin grin na normal thing now. With time as the baby grows the hole go cover up. During the old days, our mothers normally put baby oil on it in order to make it oily. Nothing to fear about this. We all have this hole when we were still a baby and as we grow older it disappeared.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by whatalife: 4:13pm On Nov 19, 2021
Just went round my area now, this is the flower am talking about, you cut and squeeze the water out to the part of the baby’s head for like 3 to 4 days very early in the morning, i don’t know the name
verybadmouth:
I need a clearer understanding of this. I am interested ma.

Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by tolugeorgeinfo(f): 4:14pm On Nov 19, 2021
YOUR BABY IS DEHYDRATED. PLS GO TO A BABY CINIC
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Shokoloko(f): 4:15pm On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:

The right thing to do is to ask a professional
Someone who can find the term "sunken fontanelle" should know that.

Clearly this is just another "I want to trend" attention seeking thread

The thread will not end with any illumination

just the usual nairaland noise and grandstanding

Bottomline is
Go and get expert help

No, there is illumination here. You will see it or not depending on your mindset

1. The OP's fear has been reduced by half or more as other parents told her not to worry
2. The OP knows that she should not use antibiotics under any guise
3. The OP knows that this could be as a result of dehydration
4. The OP knows to seek advice from a medical personnel
5. The OP received congratulations and beautiful prayers for her little one

This is a good thread
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by luckize: 4:15pm On Nov 19, 2021
That should be a sign of dehydration but the best thing to do is to see your doctor. Thanks
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by whatalife: 4:16pm On Nov 19, 2021
I mean the stuff on the baby head ,I think Yoruba people call it oka ori if am not mistaken
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by seunmsg(m): 4:18pm On Nov 19, 2021
nonut:
Sunken fontanelle? Which kain weird name is dis?

Well, we call it oka ori in Yoruba land.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by pepperniks: 4:19pm On Nov 19, 2021
It’s well o
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by aribisala0(m): 4:19pm On Nov 19, 2021
Shokoloko:

No, there is illumination here. You will see it or not depending on your mindset

1. The OP's fear has been reduced by half or more as other parents told her not to worry
2. The OP knows that she should not use antibiotics under any guise
3. The OP knows that this could be as a result of dehydration
4. The OP knows to seek advice from a medical personnel
5. The OP received congratulations and beautiful prayers for her little one

This is a good thread

But before creating the thread she knows it is sunken fontanelle

And the best place to take that forward is Nairaland

I am sure all those buildings collapsing upandan would not have collapsed if the engineers had come to nairaland for advice
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by nurain150(m): 4:21pm On Nov 19, 2021
verybadmouth:
Doctors in the house please I need your advice. Is it a problem I should be very worried about or would it close in no time. Please help

File Photos

E go heal frontanel is kinda of common it would later be replaced.

I just hope it won't affect the brain or a genetic error.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Born2Breed(f): 4:24pm On Nov 19, 2021
Don't panic. It will disappear with time.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Shokoloko(f): 4:24pm On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:

But before creating the thread she knows it is sunken fontanelle

And the best place to take that forward is Nairaland

I am sure all those buildings collapsing upandan would not have collapsed if the engineers had come to nairaland for advice

Do you think so poorly of this forum? Because its a Nigerian forum? Nairaland has medical professionals here . Nairaland has experienced parents and grandparents.

For those building that collapsed after doing their market survey and personal research it would have been great to look for forums such as this and ask people to review this company; if they have had any experience with them. Do you know how many times Nairaland has saved people? "...in the multitude of counsel, there is safety". There is nothing like too much advice. There is only lack of wisdom to apply
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by whatalife: 4:25pm On Nov 19, 2021
Op, it’s been confirmed as I said earlier, Yoruba call it oka ori. The flower from the plant I show you up there is what I applied to my daughter about ten years ago and it went under 4 days
seunmsg:

Well, we call it oka ori in Yoruba land.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by handyman90: 4:25pm On Nov 19, 2021
Lavisha:
Fontanelle?!

E sounds like something wey Dem dey take massage puccy.

Just tell us you luv vibbratorzz..
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Shegz4god(m): 4:26pm On Nov 19, 2021
It will go away as the baby grows ..no worries
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by aribisala0(m): 4:28pm On Nov 19, 2021
Shokoloko:

Do you think so poorly of this forum? Because its a Nigerian forum? Nairaland has medical professionals here . Nairaland has experienced parents and grandparents.

For those building that collapsed after doing their market survey and personal research it would have been great to look for forums such as this and ask people to review this company; if they have had any experience with them. Do you know how many times Nairaland has saved people? "...in the multitude of counsel, there is safety". There is nothing like too much advice. There is only lack of wisdom to apply

Sentimental rubbish
The real world has medical professionals.
It is unethical for a genuine doctor to give anonymous advice online beyond "go and see a professional"
They can only speak in general , theoretical and non specific terms
How can a real doctor ascertain that the problem is genuinely that diagnosed by the OP

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by 1Sharon(f): 4:29pm On Nov 19, 2021
Shokoloko:

Dear, you are also African too

You can still prove your point without being insultive.

You did not answer this question: What do you think happens to kids of women whose breastmilk cannot come out? Or who lost their mothers, or were abandoned at birth?

I'm not being insultive. Breastfeeding is crucial in kids and Africans don't breastfeed long enough and it's possibly why the IQ is low.

Ever heard about breast pumps or wet nurses?

My gosh, you people are so narrow-minded!
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Nebutaman(m): 4:29pm On Nov 19, 2021
Nothing to fear, sis. That spot is known as the Crown Shakra or the door of Soul. It is the access of Soul, our true spiritual self, into the body. As infants, we still have the ability to go and come from the heavenly worlds because the Crown Shakra is open. But by the time we are six, the door is finally closed for most of us and we have completely forgotten about where we came from. Some mothers can attest to their babies telling them about previous lives and who they were before being born into the present life. That is because their spiritual eyes are open at that age. So nothing to worry, my sister. It's the way of God.

May the blessings be
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Jackipapa: 4:30pm On Nov 19, 2021
These soft spots are spaces between the bones of the skull where bone formation isn't complete. This allows the skull to be molded during birth. The smaller spot at the back usually closes by age 2 to 3 months. The larger spot toward the front often closes around age 18 months.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by aribisala0(m): 4:31pm On Nov 19, 2021
1Sharon:

I'm not being insultive. Breastfeeding is crucial in kids and Africans don't breastfeed long enough and it's possibly why the IQ is low.

Ever heard about breast pumps or wet nurses?

My gosh, you people are so narrow-minded!

Africans?

So breatfeeding behavvior is the same across Africa
"Africans don't breastfeed long enough?"

How do you know this

"Africans have low ID"

What is the basis of this assertion?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Taking A Bold Step To Know If I Have Kidney Disease Or Something Else / Soweto Gay Teen Commits Suicide After Teacher Calls Him "Sissy Boy" (PICS) / COVID-19: Father Refuses To Accommodate Son Who Returned To Ekiti From Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.