Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,662 members, 7,813,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage (4287 Views)

Kaduna Youths Block Roads, Protest 10-month Power Outage / Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage / GHANA SUFFERS POWER OUTAGE AS NIGERIA'S IMPROVE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by scopusng(m): 12:41pm On Jun 08, 2011
Lagos -Mr Hussein Labo, Managing Director of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), says the low power generation across the country is due to the ongoing maintenance works at Utorogun Gas Plant in Delta State.

Labo said in Lagos, yesterday, that this has led to further drop in power generation and had affected electricity supply.

Mr. Mike Uzoigwe, Chief Executive of Egbin Thermal Station, said yesterday that power generation from the plant had dropped from 1,100 to 500 megawatts due to insufficient gas to power the turbines.

“We have not received gas supply from the Nigeria Gas Company (NGC) and the water level is low.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/phcn-explains-nationwide-power-outage/

I sidon dey look. For those that voted GEJ, pls don't complain.

1 Like

Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by scopusng(m): 12:46pm On Jun 08, 2011
Is Nigeria still the giant of Africa?
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by otokx(m): 12:55pm On Jun 08, 2011
The truth is we are barely producing 2000MW so any small shaking the system goes down.
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by bish2(m): 12:59pm On Jun 08, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Will NEPA bills drop also?
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by scopusng(m): 1:01pm On Jun 08, 2011
Raining season and water level is low?   I sidon dey look.
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by 190: 1:10pm On Jun 08, 2011
bish-2:

WHAT IS NEPA!!
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by 1025: 1:27pm On Jun 08, 2011
where is our road map? the good news is, whether water high or low, whether light come or not, the bill remain stable. pdp has nothing to offer. give them 200 years and the only news u will continue to hear is that bankole took N10b, david mark kept N900b and the stories will continue. fresh air 2011.
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by eewule(m): 1:44pm On Jun 08, 2011
which one is it ? first he says 'on going maintainance' then he says 'lack of sufficient gas supply'    undecided
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by delicious1(m): 1:45pm On Jun 08, 2011
scopusng:

Lagos -Mr Hussein Labo, Managing Director of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), says the low  power generation across the country is due to the ongoing maintenance works [/b]at Utorogun Gas Plant in Delta State.

Labo said in Lagos, yesterday, that this has led to further drop in power generation and had  affected electricity supply.

Mr. Mike Uzoigwe, Chief Executive of Egbin Thermal Station, said yesterday that power generation from the plant had dropped from 1,100 to 500 megawatts [b]due to insufficient gas to power the turbines.

We have not received gas supply from the Nigeria Gas Company (NGC) and the water level is low.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/phcn-explains-nationwide-power-outage/

I sidon dey look.  For those that voted GEJ, pls don't complain.

Now which one is it.
-Is the power outage due to maintenance, or low gas supplies, or low water levels?

PCHN has got to be the most inept company in the world. It's always one excuse after another-and watch the speed with which they'll send bills to their customers.  

It's about time licenses are given out to private energy firms for power distribution. And isn't it about time they start looking at other alternative energy sources?
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by bunmioguns(m): 1:46pm On Jun 08, 2011
1025:

where is our road map? the good news is, whether water high or low, whether light come or not, the bill remain stable. pdp has nothing to offer. give them 200 years and the only news u will continue to hear is that bankole took N10b, david mark kept N900b and the stories will continue. fresh air 2011.

nice comment
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by OmichaelO: 1:47pm On Jun 08, 2011
bish-2:

grin grin grin
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by AkanA1(m): 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2011
What a flimsy excuse. 1st he is talking of no gas supply, then low water levels. How do these 2 things correlate? Very soon they will tell us that the gas plant operator is on maternity leave, so we have 2 wait until they can get a replacement b4 normal gas operations can resume.
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by rareman(m): 1:51pm On Jun 08, 2011
pls how can ensure the bill is dropped to barest minimum, or if possible no bill at all
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by xanadu101(m): 1:54pm On Jun 08, 2011
FOR SALE !!!  i have a used 'i pass my neighbour' genarator  for sale . i just used it for 7-month and  bought another one. i stay close to iyanoba. if u're interested mail me nancycute333@yahoo.com. i buy my gen every 7-months cos i never believe their wld be constant power supply 4ever in naija. so i hv made up my mind to go 4 the most reliable source of power, Tiger genarator, so reliable & economy
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by delicious1(m): 1:55pm On Jun 08, 2011
^ undecided undecided
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by scopusng(m): 1:58pm On Jun 08, 2011
Is Nigeria actually the giant of Africa?
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by oneuniquemind(m): 2:03pm On Jun 08, 2011
D man sef no dey stable just lyk d power dey give.lol
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by ak47mann(m): 2:07pm On Jun 08, 2011
failed leaders failed state jungle of AFRICA I SALUTE UNA cool
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by cmon(m): 2:08pm On Jun 08, 2011
[size=14pt]Whether there was even rise in Power generation in the first place, I didn't notice.[/size]  undecided undecided undecided
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by Pafuri(m): 2:11pm On Jun 08, 2011
"Giant of Africa"? shocked LMAO in Ibibio. Its more like the dwarf, no, make that the "liliputian" cheesy cheesy of Africa. sad sad sad sad
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by Kemjisuper(m): 2:24pm On Jun 08, 2011
Hi Guys, I'm an Engineer at the Shell Operated Utorogun Gas Plant in Delta State.

Akan A1:

What a flimsy excuse. 1st he is talking of no gas supply, then low water levels. How do these 2 things correlate? Very soon they will tell us that the gas plant operator is on maternity leave, so we have 2 wait until they can get a replacement b4 normal gas operations can resume.

Allow me to humbly break it down in simpler terms to clarify some issues!

eewule:

which one is it ? first he says 'on going maintainance' then he says 'lack of sufficient gas supply'   undecided

The Utorogun Gas Plant in Delta State is a station that processes Natural Gas from underground Reservoir Well streams which it supplys to PHCN Power stations to drive their Gas Turbines, hence Power generation.

Due to the ongoing maintenance, the Gas plant is operating below average specifications, thereby affecting Gas supply to the PHCN Power Turbines, and consequently affecting the amount of Megawatts of electricity being injected into the National Grid!

scopusng:

Raining season and water level is low?   I sidon dey look.

Also, the statement saying "the water level is low" is most likely referring to the tide issues which may be affecting the Hydroelectric Power Generating stations (the Dams - Kainji, Shiroro, etc) from effectively generating their share of Megawatts of electricity thereby effecting less contribution to the same National Grid!

The situation is fairly temporary, and we hope things will be back to full swing in no distant time! So it's not the time to blame our dear GEJ blindly without first understanding all the necessary facts! Knowledge is Power! Cheers

One Naija for Life!!!  cool
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by delicious1(m): 2:32pm On Jun 08, 2011
^^The excuses remain flimsy- same one they've been making for decades. Ongoing maintenance? For how long?

Hydro electric power can be built on a small scale to serve communities with capacity ranging from 10MW-30MW and countries like the U.S, Japan, Canada and China use this type of power generation.

What is stopping the Government from building such, or opening up the sector for private firms to do so? Must the citizens always rely on the epileptic national grid supply from the dams, or unannounced maintenance works at gas plants?

I'm waiting to see a shift towards more renewable energy sources-asides just hydro Power. Sources like wind, tides and sunlight (Solar).

Renewable energy provides 18 percent of total electricity generation worldwide. And more countries are spending more money on renewable energy.
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by bkbabe97y(m): 2:40pm On Jun 08, 2011
Wait didnt GEJ promise 24hr Power supply immediately he becomes President? Lmao.

Ibos put yall in this mess, always remember that.
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by macherie1: 2:42pm On Jun 08, 2011
so what is Mr GEJ doing about these. or was he voted in to throt the Globe. so much for Goodluck. i dont wanna care. thank god for ma prpaid meter and ma candles cool
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by BashMe1(m): 2:57pm On Jun 08, 2011
Na 2day, Abegie, wat diff. has it effected whether or not there's light afterall Naija still live happily ever after wiv "Inaa Atupa" since the inception of NEPA Craze in the early 80s, mtscheww, make dem go lick transformer joor tongue
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by feelamong(m): 3:11pm On Jun 08, 2011
ABEG WHO HAS THE COPY OF THE SO CALLED ROAD MAP WITH THE TIMELINE?

UNA NEVA TIRE FOR THIS NEPA STORY??

FOR ALL THE GEJ APOLOGIST, UNA NEVA START YET!! I DEY LAUGH grin
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by LagosBoi2(m): 3:46pm On Jun 08, 2011
xanadu101:

FOR SALE !!! i have a used 'i pass my neighbour' genarator for sale . i just used it for 7-month and bought another one. i stay close to iyanoba. if u're interested mail me nancycute333@yahoo.com. i buy my gen every 7-months cos i never believe their wld be constant power supply 4ever in naija. so i hv made up my mind to go 4 the most reliable source of power, Tiger genarator, so reliable & economy

I have two ' i pass my neighbor ' so i switch one to the other and it takes me 2 months to service both generator with just 600 naira, it's economy is unbeatable in naija and it is reliable than PHCN.

phcn shd get lost cheesy cool
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by olanshi: 4:15pm On Jun 08, 2011
190:

WHAT IS NEPA!!

NEVER EXPECT POWER ALWAYS

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by EKENEA(m): 4:53pm On Jun 08, 2011
Always Same old story from PHCN
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2011
rubbish talk.

my area i usually have approximately 5 hrs of power supply daily. lo and behold, around the weekend of the jonathan inauguration, by some magic, i had 22 hrs per day from friday till monday.

monday night around 10pm the power was cut off, and back to square one.

where did the 22 hrs come from for jonathan's inauguration?

likewise around the presidential elections week, so much power it was weird, after elections back to darkness.

WHO IS FOOLING WHO?
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 08, 2011
refreshed blackout 2011
Re: Phcn Explains Nationwide Power Outage by sleekman(m): 7:18pm On Jun 08, 2011
Are you all surprised? Elections are over and the election financiers have to make thier money back with 'killer profits'. May God help Nigeria. Everyday for thief, one day for the owner.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Contradictions In The Al-mustapha Case / Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) / We Are Selfish & Nnamdi Kanu Is A Nincompoop - Igbo Lady "You Can Curse Me"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.