Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,262 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T (1974 Views)

Parents Storm Daughter's Home With Coffin Not Knowing She Faked Her Death / Russian Man Discovers Wife Faked Pregnancy, Death Of Twins, Finds Dolls In Grave / Man Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid Listening To His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by SyrusdeHansome(m): 6:32pm On Nov 19, 2021
Barry Dawson is an 84-year-old man from Waterbury,
Connecticut in the U.S. who faked being deaf and dumb for
62 years to avoid talking to his wife.
The 84-year old man reportedly never spoke a single word in
front of his 80-year old wife Dorothy during their 62 years of
marriage.
Upon learning about her husband’s deception, Dorothy filed
for divorce, She also took him to court, demanding financial
compensation for the ‘emotional stress and burden’ caused
by his deception.

She said it took her 2 years to learn to communicate with
hands so she could talk with her husband. She learned the
truth via a Youtube video in which Barry was seen dancing
and singing during a karaoke night in a bar.
“When he was at home, that j*** always faked being deaf. It
wasn’t until I saw a Youtube video of him singing during a
karaoke night in a bar while he was supposed to be at a
meeting for a charity, that I understood everything.”
Dawson’s lawyer Robert Sanchez noted that Dawson is quiet,
but not a cheat otherwise he would not have stayed in the
relationship for 62 years. He said the man wanted to save
the relationship because his wife was ‘annoyingly talkative’
and had he not stayed quiet, their marriage would not have
lasted more than 2 years.
“My client is pretty quiet and not very talkative, but his wife is
annoyingly chatty. If he hadn’t faked being deaf, they would
have divorced 60 years ago. In a way, he did it for her and for
his family,” he said.
Interestingly, Dawson’s family members also thought he was
deaf and dumb. The couple still raised six children and has
thirteen grandchildren, all of whom were also convinced that
Dawson was deaf

Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 19, 2021
The decision paid.. The karaoke is epic for the old charming Granny. You think any reasonable judge will rule the case. It might be adjourned as long as they live together forever grin
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Ussycool: 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2021
Women can make you do everything.

1 Like

Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Saintmary(f): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2021
Smart move
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by MrBachelor: 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2021
Crazy man grin
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by tillaman(m): 6:52pm On Nov 19, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Baawaa(m): 6:53pm On Nov 19, 2021
That grandpa is a good actor,62 years he really try.
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by AfroKnight: 7:10pm On Nov 19, 2021
Honestly l don’t blame the man. He just wanted peace. A pity she found out. Now he has lost his precious peace.

I think he is the one who needs to be compensated.

Papa, you are a legend.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Blackdeewhy(m): 7:39pm On Nov 19, 2021
Waooo.. Thats commendable!
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Nebes: 7:43pm On Nov 19, 2021
This is the funniest thing I’ve read in a while.
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Richy4(m): 7:50pm On Nov 19, 2021
>> All the stressful process of learning a sign language... Divorce would have just solved his problem..
>>> Was he collecting disability fund from the Government? Because they might come for him.. grin
>>> All the concession privileges I believe that he was enjoying all these while... like if bus fare was #10, he will pay #5...

Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by 3ple9ine(m): 8:18pm On Nov 19, 2021
The man tried.
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by CyberHustle: 9:17pm On Nov 19, 2021
This is so funny and wicked.
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 20, 2021
He did it to save his marriage?
That's malice if you ask me.

Why marry a loquacious woman when you know you're the quiet type?.
If you're not compatible with someone, the best is leave them, instead of putting them through this kind of torture.

He just wasted the womans' time.
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Mkelv0106(m): 10:54am On Nov 20, 2021
Mercychen:
He did it to save his marriage?
That's malice if you ask me.

Why marry a loquacious woman when you know you're the quiet type?.
If you're not compatible with someone, the best is leave them, instead of putting them through this kind of torture.

He just wasted the womans' time.
How did he waste her time.
Fine he didn't use words to speak to her, but they communicated using sign language, which she wouldn't have learnt if he wasn't a pretend deaf and dumb, They have been married for 60 years, have 6 children and 13 grand children, which means he was both a good husband and father, cause if he wasn't, d marriage wouldn't have last that long and produce so many children.
Did he decieve her? Yes he did.
But he didn't waste her time.
Bonus, he made her learn sign language grin

1 Like

Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 20, 2021
Mkelv0106:

How did he waste her time.
Fine he didn't use words to speak to her, but they communicated using sign language, which she wouldn't have learnt if he wasn't a pretend deaf and dumb, They have been married for 60 years, have 6 children and 13 grand children, which means he was both a good husband and father, cause if he wasn't, d marriage wouldn't have last that long and produce so many children.
Did he decieve her? Yes he did.
But he didn't waste her time.
Bonus, he made her learn sign language grin

See your mouth. undecided.
So deceit is a good thing?

Ok. When they do it to you, no vex.
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Mkelv0106(m): 11:17am On Nov 20, 2021
Mercychen:

See your mouth. undecided.
So deceit is a good thing?

Ok. When they do it to you, no vex.
I just pointed out to you that, he didn't waste her time, like you initially said.
I wasn't justifying the deceit.
Have a nice day.
Re: Meet Barry Dawson, The Man Who Faked Being Deaf And Dumb For 62 Years To Avoid T by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 20, 2021
Mkelv0106:

I just pointed out to you that, he didn't waste her time, like you initially said.
I wasn't justifying the deceit.
Have a nice day.

(1) (Reply)

Court Dissolves Marriage Over Wife’s Frequent Battery Of Husband / Would You Seek For Divorce If This Happened To You? / Should I Leave Or Stay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.