Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Marriage And The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Marriage And The Bible (1268 Views)

7 Causes Of Delay In Marriage And How To Avoid Them / Catholicism's SHOCKING Attitude Toward The Bible! / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 4:44am On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:
I have probably studied that book and other religious books than you have studied any book in your lifetime. History and theology are my favorite subject areas. You want to prove that Jesus Christ came to diminish the value of marriage, where in fact what he said was not really about marriage but our existence as a whole!

Marriage is for people of this world, in heaven they don't deal with such things, it is non consequential. In short, Jesus is saying: All of your laws and ideas about marriage, family, children, inheritance of property, family lineage, and so on, simply don’t exist in the afterlife! “You are badly mistaken!” (Mark 12:27).

This is what Jesus also said:
At the beginning of creation God “made them male and female.” “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate. (Mark 10:6–9)

Interpreting Jesus’ words to the Sadducees to mean that there is no marriage in heaven would cause Jesus to contradict both himself and the Bible as a whole. God created male and female to be joined together as one. And just as God is not the God of the dead but of the living, so everything God does is not temporary, but eternal.

So it is either you are calling Jesus confused or you are saying God is not truthful, which one is it?

Like I said earlier, arguing using scritptures already puts you at a disadvantage, it's a battle you can't win! Your other argument about rights is just comical because Mark 10:6-9 already proved you wrong and so does canon law and most Islamic laws. In fact I'm not completely sure but I believe Hindu laws and Chinese laws also proves you wrong, so I'm guessing all you have to rely on is Western laws? I bet all through your analysis you never bothered to consider the world beyond Western influence.....Gotcha!
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 5:06am On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:
1. I have probably studied that book and other religious books than you have studied any book in your lifetime. History and theology are my favorite subject areas. You want to prove that Jesus Christ came to diminish the value of marriage, where in fact what he said was not really about marriage but our existence as a whole!

2. Marriage is for people of this world, in heaven they don't deal with such things, it is non consequential. In short, Jesus is saying: All of your laws and ideas about marriage, family, children, inheritance of property, family lineage, and so on, simply don’t exist in the afterlife! “You are badly mistaken!” (Mark 12:27).

3. This is what Jesus also said:
At the beginning of creation God “made them male and female.” “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate. (Mark 10:6–9)

4. Interpreting Jesus’ words to the Sadducees to mean that there is no marriage in heaven would cause Jesus to contradict both himself and the Bible as a whole. God created male and female to be joined together as one. And just as God is not the God of the dead but of the living, so everything God does is not temporary, but eternal.

5. So it is either you are calling Jesus confused or you are saying God is not truthful, which one is it?

6. Like I said earlier, arguing using scritptures already puts you at a disadvantage, it's a battle you can't win! Your other argument about rights is just comical because Mark 10:6-9 already proved you wrong and so does canon law and most Islamic laws. In fact I'm not completely sure but I believe Hindu laws and Chinese laws also proves you wrong, so I'm guessing all you have to rely on is Western laws? I bet all through your analysis you never bothered to consider the world beyond Western influence.....Gotcha!
1. Jesus Christ did not come to diminish marriage, neither did He change anything of what God already declared regarding marriage this in Genesis 2 vs 24 and Matthew 19 vs 3- 5, which is that marriage is a contract between a man and a woman - no parents, or clerics stipulated - when they join/mate/consumate/cleave. undecided

2. In Luke 20 vs 34 -36 & Mark 12 vs 18 - 27, Jesus Christ taught that your marriages are of this world and not of the Kingdom of God meaning your marriage relationship starts and ends here in this world. Your relationship to your husband, your children, in-laws etc., matter only in this world - such relationships and their definition mean absolutely nothing in the Kingdom of God. undecided

in Matthew 12 vs 48 - 50 & Luke 8 vs 19 - 21, Jesus Christ said that in the Kingdom of God, His brothers, mother and sister are those who do the Will of God. Relationships in the Kingdom of God are formed between those who do the will of God. undecided

3. Visit point (1) above. undecided

4. I am afraid you are the one reading your delusion into what is written there in Mark 12 vs 18 - 27. I suggest you reread that passage again to understand why Jesus Christ introduced the mention of God being God of the living and not God of the dead. undecided

5. This confusion has all to do with you and not God or Jesus Christ at all since you are the one who misconstrue what is easily comprehended. undecided

6. You are clearly not one who has read the Bible for yourself as even your so called interpretations are not of you but of the lies I have heard so many mogs preach from their pulpits in the name or God.. undecided

Again, Genesis 2 vs 24, Mark 10 vs 6 - 9 & Matthew 19 vs 3 - 5 , tell you exactly the same thing I have been saying which is that God of the Bible decreed that marriage is a contract between a man and a woman and is sealed when they join/cleave/mate/consumate. That details of the contract God left for them to decide for themselves. There are no additional laws placed by God on them as far as there marriage is concerned - no laws regarding children, sex, roles etc., absolutely none. undecided

Those other religions may impose rules on their own ideas of marriage but where the Christian God is concerned, the terms and conditions of a marriage are left up to the man and woman to decide of their own. In most countries, it is the same. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by abbey621(m): 5:59am On Nov 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. Jesus Christ did not come to diminish marriage, neither did He change anything of what God already declared regarding marriage this in Genesis 2 vs 24 and Matthew 19 vs 3- 5, which is that marriage is a contract between a man and a woman - no parents, or clerics stipulated - when they join/mate/consumate/cleave. undecided

[s]2. In Luke 20 vs 34 -36 & Mark 12 vs 18 - 27, Jesus Christ taught that your marriages are of this world and not of the Kingdom of God meaning your marriage relationship starts and ends here in this world. Your relationship to your husband, your children, in-laws etc., matter only in this world - such relationships and their definition mean absolutely nothing in the Kingdom of God. undecided[/s]

in Matthew 12 vs 48 - 50 & Luke 8 vs 19 - 21, Jesus Christ said that in the Kingdom of God, His brothers, mother and sister are those who do the Will of God. Relationships in the Kingdom of God are formed between those who do the will of God. undecided

4. I am afraid you are the one reading your delusion into what is written there in Mark 12 vs 18 - 27. I suggest you reread that passage again to understand why Jesus Christ introduced the mention of God being God of the living and not God of the dead. undecided

5. This confusion has all to do with you and not God or Jesus Christ at all since you are the one who misconstrue what is easily comprehended. undecided

6. You are clearly not one who has read the Bible for yourself as even your so called interpretations are not of you but of the lies I have heard so many mogs preach from their pulpits in the name or God.. undecided

Again, Genesis 2 vs 24, Mark 10 vs 6 - 9 & Matthew 19 vs 3 - 5 , tell you exactly the same thing I have been saying which is that God of the Bible decreed that marriage is a contract between a man and a woman and is sealed when they join/cleave/mate/consumate. That details of the contract God left for them to decide for themselves. There are no additional laws placed by God on them as far as there marriage is concerned - no laws regarding children, sex, roles etc., absolutely none. undecided[s][/s]

Those other religions may impose rules on their own ideas of marriage but where the Christian God is concerned, the terms and conditions of a marriage are left up to the man and woman to decide of their own. In most countries, it is the same. undecided

You are just contradicting yourself, if we are to go by your definition nothing we do in this world matters at all since they are of this world and this world alone......Not your good deeds, not your bad deeds....nothing! Can you see how simply illogical that sounds? I have already explained to you the interpretation behind those passages but you still chose to repeat the same sentimental rhetoric.....Why?

You mean a God that strictly gave commands to go forth and multiply, that said he that found a wife has found a good thing was just saying all that for publicity? Thou shall not commit adultery, becoming of one flesh is just cheap talk? Man and woman while married can choose not to become one flesh? They can choose not to commit adultery and not multiply and all will be well in the sight of God because anything they do in their marriage is up to them and not for or against any heavenly commandment? I'm trying to find logic in your assertions but the more I read and comprehend your premise and supporting rhetoric, the more I laugh....This is beyond comedy and quite frankly continuing to argue with you is not worth it grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 6:26am On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:
1. You are just contradicting yourself, if we are to go by your definition nothing we do in this world matters at all since they are of this world and this world alone......Not your good deeds, not your bad deeds....nothing! Can you see how simply illogical that sounds? I have already explained to you the interpretation behind those passages but you still chose to repeat the same sentimental rhetoric.....Why?

2. You mean a God that strictly gave commands to go forth and multiply, that said he that found a wife has found a good thing was just saying all that for publicity?

3. Thou shall not commit adultery, becoming of one flesh is just cheap talk? Man and woman while married can choose not to become one flesh? They can choose not to commit adultery and not multiply and all will be well in the sight of God because anything they do in their marriage is up to them and not for or against any heavenly commandment?

4. I'm trying to find logic in your assertions but the more I read and comprehend your premise and supporting rhetoric, the more I laugh....This is beyond comedy and quite frankly continuing to argue with you is not worth it grin grin grin
1. I have in no way contradicted myself here. I have simply stated what Jesus Christ Himself declared as far as His Kindom is concerned. undecided

What Jesus Christ said is your marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom. If you would use your head in this, you would have figured this means all relationships that come about as a result of marriage are implied... He didn't say you can then throw anything else you'll want into that statement He declared in Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 though . So again, learn to keep your delusions out of what is written. undecided

2. Marriage is not sin and sin is not marriage. Stay focused! God defined marriage in Genesis 2 vs 24, Mark 10 vs 6 - 9 & Matthew 19 vs 3 - 5. He specified no right or laws for either the man or woman to in their marriage agreement. undecided

3. Adultery is sin and divorce are sins and these are separately defined by Jesus Christ in Matthew 5 vs 27 - 32 and Matthew 19 vs 6 - 15. These laws guide those who make the decision to exit a marriage. Again, note there are no rights specified as far as those who sin or chose to exit a marriage.undecided

4. Again, I suggest you pick up that book to read it for yourself so you can learn the Truth of God from the many lies you have carefully imbibed in ignorance.. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by abbey621(m): 6:39am On Nov 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. I have in no way contradicted myself here. I have simply stated what Jesus Christ Himself declared as far as His Kindom is concerned. undecided

What Jesus Christ said is your marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom. If you would use your head in this, you would have figured this means all relationships that come about as a result of marriage are implied... He didn't say you can then throw anything else you'll want into that statement He declared in Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 though . So again, learn to keep your delusions out of what is written. undecided

2. Marriage is not sin and sin is not marriage. Stay focused! God defined marriage in Genesis 2 vs 24, Mark 10 vs 6 - 9 & Matthew 19 vs 3 - 5. He specified no right or laws for either the man or woman to in their marriage agreement. undecided

3. Adultery is sin and divorce are sins and these are separately defined by Jesus Christ in Matthew 5 vs 27 - 32 and Matthew 19 vs 6 - 15. These laws guide those who make the decision to exit a marriage. Again, note there are no rights specified as far as those who sin or chose to exit a marriage.undecided

4. Again, I suggest you pick up that book to read it for yourself so you can learn the Truth of God from the many lies you have carefully imbibed in ignorance.. undecided

You're repeating the same thing, contradictions upon contradictions. Surely the Holy Spirit did not reveal this to you, I get your point now, you're one of those that take the Bible word for word without understanding the true meaning. There are tons of research by Biblical scholars out there that goes into full details of the passages you quoted including context, I'm afraid if it comes from me you'll get defensive and keep regurgitating the same fallacy. Marriage is not of his kingdom but at the same time he commands man and wife to become one flesh while married.....Until you can resolve this contradiction, your words are nothing but efufulele and I'll continue viewing you as a comedian grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 7:08am On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:
1.You're repeating the same thing, contradictions upon contradictions.

2. Surely the Holy Spirit did not reveal this to you, I get your point now, you're one of those that take the Bible word for word without understanding the true meaning.

3. There are tons of research by Biblical scholars out there that goes into full details of the passages you quoted including context, I'm afraid if it comes from me you'll get defensive and keep regurgitating the same fallacy.

4. Marriage is not of his kingdom but at the same time he commands man and wife to become one flesh while married.....Until you can resolve this contradiction, your words are nothing but efufulele and I'll continue viewing you as a comedian grin grin grin
1. What contradiction? undecided

2. LOL... Jesus Christ Himself said that if you use the understanding you have, more understanding will be given to you. Those who don't use the understanding they have will have even the little they have taken from them - Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17 & Mark 4 vs 21 - 24. undecided

If you can't even take God at His own Word, are you certain it is God you believe in? undecided

The Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit are only available to those who live in continual submission to and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ - John 14 vs 15 - 25 & John 16 vs 8 - 22 undecided

3. Jesus Christ warned you against the doctrines and traditions of men(including their churches) warning that they are nothing but lies, an abomination where the Truth of God is concerned - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14 and Mark 7 vs 1 - 23.

4. Jesus Christ did not command men to marry. Instead Jesus Christ upheld God's Law from the beginning - Genesis 2 vs 24, Mark 10 vs 6 - 9 & Matthew 19 vs 3 - 5 - that marriage is an agreement between a man and a woman where both become one flesh, this even as He makes it clear that just as God decreed it then also, marriage is a choice and not a mandate, this by God. God Himself declared this law from the beginning. undecided

Jesus Christ came to redeem even those who are married from the curse God placed even on marriage - Genesis 3 vs 16 - 22 - the salvation He grants is a complete package from the condemnation of Sin aka Death as decreed by God from the time of Adam and Eve. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by abbey621(m): 7:24am On Nov 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. What contradiction? undecided

2. LOL... Jesus Christ Himself said that if you use the understanding you have, more understanding will be given to you. Those who don't use the understanding they have will have even the little they have taken from them - Matthew 13 vs 10 - 17 & Mark 4 vs 21 - 24. undecided

If you can't even take God at His own Word, are you certain it is God you believe in? undecided

The Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit are only available to those who live in continual submission to and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ - John 14 vs 15 - 25 & John 16 vs 8 - 22 undecided

3. Jesus Christ warned you against the doctrines and traditions of men(including their churches) warning that they are nothing but lies, an abomination where the Truth of God is concerned - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14 and Mark 7 vs 1 - 23.

4. Jesus Christ did not command men to marry. Instead Jesus Christ upheld God's Law from the beginning - Genesis 2 vs 24, Mark 10 vs 6 - 9 & Matthew 19 vs 3 - 5 - that marriage is an agreement between a man and a woman where both become one flesh, this even as He makes it clear that just as God decreed it then also, marriage is a choice and not a mandate, this by God. God Himself declared this law from the beginning. undecided

Jesus Christ came to redeem even those who are married from the curse God placed even on marriage - Genesis 3 vs 16 - 22 - the salvation He grants is a complete package from the condemnation of Sin aka Death as decreed by God from the time of Adam and Eve. undecided

=======

So what happens if they chose not to become one flesh? Do they still satisfy God's law? You're just digging yourself a bigger hole, remember the initial comment that started your rambling......Marriage does not give the man or woman sexual rights......If this was true how then do they become one flesh? This argument was never about marriage but sexual rights within marriage. You just dey type rubbish all in the name of forming "argumentator extraordinaire", when in fact you know nothing!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 7:46am On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:
1. So what happens if they chose not to become one flesh? Do they still satisfy God's law? You're just digging yourself a bigger hole, remember the initial comment that started your rambling......
2. Marriage does not give the man or woman sexual rights......If this was true how then do they become one flesh? This argument was never about marriage but sexual rights within marriage. You just dey type rubbish all in the name of forming "argumentator extraordinaire", when in fact you know nothing!
1. Marriage is an agreement between a man and woman, once that agreement is made, marriage has happened and they are one. Adam and Eve didn't first copulate before their marriage happened. undecided

2. Sexual rights to what? God never decreed that men must never have sex ..He equipped even those He created Eunuchs with sex organs. And He does not rain fire and brimstone on unbelievers when they engage in sex as they chose. No, God doesn't do ghag at all so what you refer to as sexual right is a lot iffy.

When it comes to those who belong to Jesus Christ, however, one can maybe declare then that God's Law restricts sex to only those in marriage relationships but even then sex isn't stipulated or mandated. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 8:50am On Nov 20, 2021
Asour:
1. Malachi is not God's Word to Christians. Haha.

2. Meanwhile Christ reiterated this same God's displeasure for divorce in Matthew 19:8.
Telling them how divorce was borne out of hardness of heart & was not so in the 'beginning' (Old testament).

3. Secondly, how can fornication be a good reason for divorce when the parties are married.
Hello? Fornication is an affair between unmarried parties. Make it make sense. You seem not to get what was explained there.

4. Thirdly how many marriages am I 'allowed' to divorce when we can't 'work things out'? 2, 3 or 4.
Basic statistics on divorces has shown us that divorces are increasingly frequent after the first divorce (2nd marriage & above).

5. My point is that for health & scientific /Professional endeavours 'Professionals' are great — where we are dealing with exact sciences & measurable variables but human relationships are not exact sciences. They are dynamic & complex.
You or my advice can be as effective or more than a
'Professional' therapist, whatever that means.
Professional therapy in marriage is a Cashout industry where couples don't have accountable elders.

6. Even 'great' pastors can fail let alone some marriage therapist who has the same probability of failing in marriage as the average Joe.

May God help us.
1. Yes, Malachi is an oracle sent to the Descendants of Jacob, Israel, not to those who are in Jesus Christ, you would know this because Malachi also comes long before Jesus Christ, the one you claim to be your savior, was born. undecided

2. Jesus Christ, God's New Covenant Law in the Kingdom of God, did reiterate what God already decreed but He however added that for those in the New Covenant Law, the new agreement between God and man this in the Kingdom of God, divorce was allowed in the case of fornication.- Matthew 19 Vs 1 - 15 undecided

3. Your understanding of the meaning of the word 'fornication' is the problem in this case.
for·ni·ca·tion

sexual intercourse between people not married to each other.
undecided

4. As a Christian, If divorce is what you want, so long as you do so according to God's Law , it is up to you how many times you wish to do it for. Remember the Samaritan woman at the well, who was already past her 5th marriage. Did Jesus Christ raise any issues with her on that? No, you can go as long as you want. undecided

5. In Luke 20 vs 34 - 36, Jesus Christ, again, said that marriages are of this world and not of the Kingdom of God. Again, you have to let the teachings of Jesus Christ properly sink in so you can grasp the meaning of the message. There are no such thing as "accountable elders" or "pastors" where marriage is concerned - God no send anyone of His followers to doing such work on behalf of Him. So anyone that eveb pretends to do any such in His name commits sins against God. undecided

6. Marriage is of this world so if it fails, then let it fail. You are not graded for your marriage in the Kingdom of God instead God is concerned as to whether you lived your life in continual submission to and obedience of Jesus Christ's teachings and commandments- that is what matters in the Kingdom of God. God made this clear through Jesus Christ when He called that you abandon everything- father , mother, husband, wife, children, homes, career etc. For His sake - Luke 14 vs 25 - 33 - those who do not will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Dtruthspeaker: 9:03am On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:

You are just contradicting yourself, if we are to go by your definition nothing we do in this world matters at all since they are of this world and this world alone......

That is kobojunkie for you, the fountain of both bitter and sweet waters. James 3:11

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Bible by Asour: 9:04am On Nov 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. Yes, Malachi is an oracle sent to the Descendants of Jacob, Israel, not to those who are in Jesus Christ, you would know this because Malachi also comes long before Jesus Christ, the one you claim to be your savior, was born. undecided

2. Jesus Christ, God's New Covenant Law in the Kingdom of God, did reiterate what God already decreed but He however added that for those in the New Covenant Law, the new agreement between God and man this in the Kingdom of God, divorce was allowed in the case of fornication.- Matthew 19 Vs 1 - 15 undecided

3. Your understanding of the meaning of the word 'fornication' is the problem in this case.
undecided

4. As a Christian, If divorce is what you want, so long as you do so according to God's Law , it is up to you how many times you wish to do it for. Remember the Samaritan woman at the well, who was already past her 5th marriage. Did Jesus Christ raise any issues with her on that? No, you can go as long as you want. undecided

5. In Luke 20 vs 34 - 36, Jesus Christ, again, said that marriages are of this world and not of the Kingdom of God. Again, you have to let the teachings of Jesus Christ properly sink in so you can grasp the meaning of the message. There are no such thing as "accountable elders" or "pastors" where marriage is concerned - God no send anyone of His followers to doing such work on behalf of Him. So anyone that eveb pretends to do any such in His name commits sins against God. undecided

6. Marriage is of this world so if it fails, then let it fail. You are not graded for your marriage in the Kingdom of God instead God is concerned as to whether you lived your life in continual submission to and obedience of Jesus Christ's teachings and commandments- that is what matters in the Kingdom of God. God made this clear through Jesus Christ when He called that you abandon everything- father , mother, husband, wife, children, homes, career etc. For His sake - Luke 14 vs 25 - 33 - those who do not will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. undecided

Haha.

You were the one that said Fornication is a permissible ground for divorce. How can people fornicate when they aren't married . The sin here should be Adultery. Nobody commiting fornication has course to divorce because — they weren't married.

Marriage is of this world true but it can have effect in eternity for christians.

Titus 2:4 in the bible suggests a place for Godly marriage counsel from elders (in this case for women) don't you think so?
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 9:16am On Nov 20, 2021
Asour:
Haha.
1. You were the one that said Fornication is a permissible ground for divorce. How can people fornicate when they aren't married . The sin here should be Adultery. Nobody commiting fornication has course to divorce because — they weren't married.

2. Marriage is of this world true but it can have effect in eternity for christians.

Titus 2:4 in the bible suggests a place for Godly marriage counsel from elders (in this case for women) don't you think so?
1. I see you are still struggling with the meaning of the word 'fornication', so see below , the New Covenant Law as given you by Jesus Christ in the Gospels regarding adultery and divorce. undecided
8 Jesus answered, “Moses allowed you to divorce your wives because you refused to accept God’s teaching. But divorce was not allowed in the beginning.
9 I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for the problem of sexual sin, and marries another woman is guilty of adultery.” - Matthew 19 vs 8 - 9
and
27You have heard that it was said, ‘You must not commit adultery.’[e]
28 But I tell you that if a man looks at a woman and wants to sin sexually with her, he has already committed that sin with her in his mind.
29 If your right eye makes you sin, take it out and throw it away. It is better to lose one part of your body than to have your whole body thrown into hell.
30 If your right hand makes you sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
31 “It was also said, ‘Any man who divorces his wife must give her a written notice of divorce.’
32 But I tell you that any man who divorces his wife, except for the problem of sexual sin, is causing his wife to be guilty of adultery. And whoever marries a divorced woman is guilty of adultery. - Matthew 5 vs 27 - 32
undecided

2. Unless you are here trying to insinuate that Paul's opinion expressed in his letters to Titus overturns God's very Law and declaration, I suggest you think carefully about the implications of suggesting what God has not commanded of anyone. undecided

Again, God gave no man or woman permission to use His name in such a way. So anyone who claims to help a marriage in the name of God commits sin against God. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Asour: 9:29am On Nov 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. I see you are still struggling with the meaning of the word 'fornication', so see below , the New Covenant Law as given you by Jesus Christ in the Gospels regarding adultery and divorce. undecided
and
undecided

2. Unless you are here trying to insinuate that Paul's opinion expressed in his letters to Titus overturns God's very Law and declaration, I suggest you think carefully about the implications of suggesting what God has not commanded of anyone. undecided

Again, God gave no man or woman permission to use His name in such a way. So anyone who claims to help a marriage in the name of God commits sin against God. undecided

Hahahah.

You seem to have changed the Bible version you quoted for Matthew 5:32. From KJV where the word was clearly 'fornication' to whatever version where it says sexual sin. At that point I have no more comments sin e you keep changing.

Secondly you haven't explained what Titus 2: 4 means since you said there's no place for Godly elderly advice in marriage. Still waiting for that.
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 9:40am On Nov 20, 2021
Asour:
Hahahah.

1. You seem to have changed the Bible version you quoted for Matthew 5:32. From KJV where the word was clearly 'fornication' to whatever version where it says sexual sin. At that point I have no more comments sin e you keep changing.

2. Secondly you haven't explained what Titus 2: 4 means since you said there's no place for Godly elderly advice in marriage. Still waiting for that.
1. I didn't change bible versions at all. undecided

By the way, you are the one who argued against the use of the word fornication which clearly means sexual sin, remember? I even quoted the meaning of the word from the dictionary for you to see but you still had a hard time with that. So what do you mean no more comments? undecided

2. Paul wrote his opinion in the letter to Titus. God's Law however does not give any man authority to speak or counsel marriage in the name of God. So, even what is written there in Titus is against God. undecided

See, it is against God's Law to add or remove commandments. So when a person takes it on himself to add rules or change rules or even remove rules from God's Law that person does so in violation of God's Law and Rule. Jesus Christ is God's Law in the Kingdom of God and the Law was concluded on the cross when Jesus Christ declared, "it is finished!". undecided

P.S. When a married man, for instance, has sex with a woman he is not married to, he is said to have committed fornication. That is what the dictionary definition was to help you see. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Asour: 9:50am On Nov 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. I didn't change bible versions at all. undecided

By the way, you are the one who argued against the use of the word fornication which clearly means sexual sin, remember? I even quoted the meaning of the word from the dictionary for you to see but you still had a hard time with that. So what do you mean no more comments? undecided

2. Paul wrote his opinion in the letter to Titus. God's Law however does not give any man authority to speak or counsel marriage in the name of God. So, even what is written there in Titus is against God. undecided

See, it is against God's Law to add or remove commandments. So when a person takes it on himself to add rules or change rules or even remove rules from God's Law that person does so in violation of God's Law and Rule. Jesus Christ is God's Law in the Kingdom of God and the Law was concluded on the cross when Jesus Christ declared, "it is finished!". undecided

P.S. When a married man, for instance, has sex with a woman he is not married to, he is said to have committed fornication. That is what the dictionary definition was to help you see. undecided

When a married man has an affair, he commits adultery not Fornication.

Adultery vs Fornication. Key difference.

You seem to think the Bible is Paul's Opinion not Inspired by God (2 Tim 3 v 16-17).
At that point we are no longer on the same page again (diverse reference points) . Nice discussion. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 9:59am On Nov 20, 2021
Asour:
1. When a married man has an affair, he commits adultery not Fornication.

Adultery vs Fornication. Key difference.

You seem to think the Bible is Paul's Opinion not Inspired by God (2 Tim 3 v 16-17).
At that point we are no longer on the same page again (diverse reference points) . Nice discussion. Thanks.
1. Wrong! Pay attention to Jesus Christ's redefinition of the word 'adultery' beginning in Matthew 5 vs 27 - 28. Then follow through to what He called adultery in Matthew 5 vs 30 - 32 , and then again in Matthew 19 vs 9. undecided

Note in two cases, Jesus Christ did not refer to the sexual sin/fornication as adultery. undecided

2. Wrong! The Bible is a compendium of books written by different authors for different audiences. Paul's letters are Paul's words written and included in the book called the Bible. undecided

The words of Satan, also Inspired, are recorded in the book of Job, Matthew etc. However, the word "inspired" does not mean "True" else we would consider truth even the words of Satan written in the Bible. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by abbey621(m): 3:40pm On Nov 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
[s] 1. Marriage is an agreement between a man and woman, once that agreement is made, marriage has happened and they are one. Adam and Eve didn't first copulate before their marriage happened. undecided[/s] Adam and Eve were never married.....Another fallacy here!

2. [s]Sexual rights to what? God never decreed that men must never have sex ..He equipped even those He created Eunuchs with sex organs. And He does not rain fire and brimstone on unbelievers when they engage in sex as they chose. No, God doesn't do ghag at all so what you refer to as sexual right is a lot iffy. [/s] Keep the discussion to marriage only, in a marriage does the two become one FLESH or not? If you answer NO, then you're contradicting the word of God, if you answer YES then WTF are you arguing?

[s]When it comes to those who belong to Jesus Christ, however, one can maybe declare then that God's Law restricts sex to only those in marriage relationships but even then sex isn't stipulated or mandated[/s]. undecided
Again another contradiction, if sex in marriage was not mandated how then do they become one FLESH? How do they go forth and multiply? Again, you keep contradicting the word of God.....Are you okay?
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:
Again another contradiction, if sex in marriage was not mandated how then do they become one FLESH?
The agreement makes them one! undecided

I used the example of Adam and Eve, to show you this but I see that went over your head there so here goes. undecided
21 So the Lord God caused the man to sleep very deeply. While he was asleep, God took one of the ribs from the man’s body. Then he closed the man’s skin where the rib had been.
22 The Lord God used the rib from the man to make a woman. Then he brought the woman to the man.
23 And the man said, “Finally! One like me, with bones from my bones and a body from my body. She was taken out of a man,so I will call her ‘woman.’”
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife. In this way two people become one.
25 The man and his wife were naked, but they were not ashamed. - Genesis 2 vs 21 - 25
Again, read what God decreed in verse 24. God didn't say they only become one when they have had sex. Instead the agreement between the man and woman is what makes them one. undecided

■Adam and Eve where one such couple.

■ Another example of this is seen when Nathan , the prophet, tells David of how God gave Saul's wives to David. Ofcourse, It was, and still is, against the Old Covenant Law of Moses for David, or any man to sleep with his father's wife - Leviticus18 vs 8 & Deuteronomy 27 vs 20 - so even though the women were wived to Him by God, David could not sleep with them, yet was married to them. undecided

■ The marriage of Joseph and Mary, Parents of Jesus Christ, is another good example. Mary was to marry Joseph who then discovered she was already pregnant with Jesus Christ but they became husband and wife regardless. - Matthew 1 vs 18 - 25 undecided

■ Another bizarre example for this case is found in Genesis 34 vs 1 - 31 where Dinah, Jacob's daughter was raped. There was no agreement between Dinah and her rapist, Shepherd, so they were not considered husband and wife. Shechem offers to marry Dinah- Genesis 34 vs 8-12 - this after the rape, but they are not in anyway regarded as husband and wife as a result of the intercourse.
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 6:35pm On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:
How do they go forth and multiply? Again, you keep contradicting the word of God.....Are you okay
Where it concerns God's command to "go forth and multiply", I believe you are mistaken. undecided

Men have conveniently taken to believing that God's command there was for all to reproduce/multiply their numbers through the having of offspring, but that isn't necessarily God's plan and idea. undecided
10 The followers said to Jesus, “If that is the only reason a man can divorce his wife, it is better not to marry.”
11 He answered, “This statement is true for some, but not for everyone—only for those who have been given this gift.
12 There are different reasons why some men don’t marry. Some were born without the ability to produce children. Others were made that way later in life. And others have given up marriage because of God’s kingdom. This is for anyone who is able to accept it.” - Matthew 19 vs 10 - 12
Jesus Christ made known that God Himself created some Eunuchs from birth, allowed some to become Eunuchs in Life and had others chose to be Eunuchs for the sake of His Kingdom. Now realize that even Eunuchs are not barred from marriage so do not get the sordid idea that they can't marry or something. undecided

So, if we chose to singly interpret God's command, "go forth and multiply", which God gave to all of mankind( not just those married), the way that men typically do(sexual reproduction), wouldn't that then mean that God, by creating some with the inability to reproduce(sexually), did an evil thing? undecided

Also, God's idea of marriage as a choice and not a mandate indicates that God's plan for man wasn't simply that men multiply their numbers alone. but in every other way. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by abbey621(m): 7:12pm On Nov 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The agreement makes them one! undecided

I used the example of Adam and Eve, to show you this but I see that went over your head there so here goes. undecided

[s]Again, read what God decreed in verse 24. God didn't say they only become one when they have had sex. Instead the agreement between the man and woman is what makes them one. undecided[/s]

■Adam and Eve where one such couple.

[s]■ Another example of this is seen when Nathan , the prophet, tells David of how God gave Saul's wives to David. Ofcourse, It was, and still is, against the Old Covenant Law of Moses for David, or any man to sleep with his father's wife - Leviticus18 vs 8 & Deuteronomy 27 vs 20 - so even though the women were wived to Him by God, David could not sleep with them, yet was married to them. undecided[/s]

[s]■ The marriage of Joseph and Mary, Parents of Jesus Christ, is another good example. Mary was to marry Joseph who then discovered she was already pregnant with Jesus Christ but they became husband and wife regardless. - Matthew 1 vs 18 - 25 undecided[/s]
[s]
■ Another bizarre example for this case is found in Genesis 34 vs 1 - 31 where Dinah, Jacob's daughter was raped. There was no agreement between Dinah and her rapist, Shepherd, so they were not considered husband and wife. Shechem offers to marry Dinah- Genesis 34 vs 8-12 - this after the rape, but they are not in anyway regarded as husband and wife as a result of the intercourse.
[/s]

Sorry but you're cracking me up cheesy cheesy cheesy. They become one in body, mind and spirit. Flesh was explitcitly used so don't try this ridiculous spinoff, just don't! Be fruitful and multiply in marriage means only one thing, I don't care what universe you try to base your interpreation on, it means to grow, to duplicate, to reproduce and all these ain't happening without lapoopoolala!

Moving on, first point about David, you have no idea whether he slept with them or not, all we know for sure is that David was a man who erred a lot, a man that could kill another man because of that man's wife yet he is to be trusted not to break some other sacred laws? Yea keep deceiving yourself!

Next, your example of Mary and Joseph is correct but was Joseph or Mary forbidden from having intercourse? Did they have intercourse after Mary was no longer preganant? Go and read about the siblings of Jesus and tell me what I've written is so farfetched.....lol.

Your third example makes no sense, sex does not make you husband and wife, this was never my argument rather by virtue of marriage you are automatically entitled to intimacy. Your attempt to use rape to discredit this shows that you've lost the plot and desperately grasping at straws! I suggest you reevaluate yourself and know that not all arguments can be won, there is no need for such desperation!
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 7:47pm On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:
■Sorry but you're cracking me up cheesy cheesy cheesy. They become one in body, mind and spirit. Flesh was explitcitly used so don't try this ridiculous spinoff, just don't! Be fruitful and multiply in marriage means only one thing, I don't care what universe you try to base your interpreation on, it means to grow, to duplicate, to reproduce and all these ain't happening without lapoopoolala!

■ Moving on, first point about David, you have no idea whether he slept with them or not, all we know for sure is that David was a man who erred a lot, a man that could kill another man because of that man's wife yet he is to be trusted not to break some other sacred laws? Yea keep deceiving yourself!

■Next, your example of Mary and Joseph is correct but was Joseph or Mary forbidden from having intercourse? Did they have intercourse after Mary was no longer preganant? Go and read about the siblings of Jesus and tell me what I've written is so farfetched.....lol.

■ Your third example makes no sense, sex does not make you husband and wife, this was never my argument rather by virtue of marriage you are automatically entitled to intimacy. Your attempt to use rape to discredit this shows that you've lost the plot and desperately grasping at straws! I suggest you reevaluate yourself and know that not all arguments can be won, there is no need for such desperation!
■ Don't assume your delusions as mine. I never said anything about "flesh" in any of what I stated. I stated clearly that the agreement was was made them one, not sex. And I went on to point out several instances in the Bible where the agreement was all it took to make that happen. undecided

■ David erred a lot but one of his many sins wasn't that he slept with his father's wives. Absalom slept with David's wife but not once was David accused of sleeping with his father's wives. There is even a record of David eventually divorcing himself from other wives of his whom he never slept with in the same scripture. Again, the point here marriage is based on the agreement and not necessarily intercourse. undecided

■ The point is Joseph and Mary where declared husband and wife by God even without them having intercourse. I believe Jesus Christ was the only offspring of Mary's. undecided

■ Again, sex can happen outside of marriage, and marriage does not require intercourse as validation, meaning that sex is not a right .i.e. you are not automatically entitled to sex in marriage. Again, read up in David and his wives. undecided

I brought up the story of rape to help back up my point marriage, the union is not entered into when intercourse takes place but instead when the agreement is made. If you go back through my previous retort,you would realize that we the point I was making from its beginning. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by abbey621(m): 8:17pm On Nov 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
[s]■ Don't assume your delusions as mine. I never said anything about "flesh" in any of what I stated. I stated clearly that the agreement was was made them one, not sex. And I went on to point out several instances in the Bible where the agreement was all it took to make that happen. undecided[/s] Again you're arguing with yourself, main point of argumen, sex grants automatic rights to intimacy in a marriage, you disagreed and tried to use Jesus as your evidence, you've so far failed to dispute the meaning of the two shall become one flesh. Anything you say that cannot disprove the passages below is considered null and void:
Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh. (Gen. 2:24)
God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply.” (Gen. 1:27–28)

[s]■ David erred a lot but one of his many sins wasn't that he slept with his father's wives. Absalom slept with David's wife but not once was David accused of sleeping with his father's wives. There is even a record of David eventually divorcing himself from other wives of his whom he never slept with in the same scripture. Again, the point here marriage is based on the agreement and not necessarily intercourse. undecided[/s] The Bible did not explitcitly confirm whether he slept with them or not, going by David's record it is amazing that you chose to believe he didn't, again your believe does not necessarily equate to facts!

[s]■ The point is Joseph and Mary where declared husband and wife by God even without them having intercourse. I believe Jesus Christ was the only offspring of Mary's. undecided[/s] You can believe anything, it does not make it factual!

■ Again, sex can happen outside of marriage, and marriage does not require intercourse as validation, meaning that sex is not a right .i.e. you are not automatically entitled to sex in marriage. Again, read up in David and his wives. undecided

[s]I brought up the story of rape to help back up my point marriage, the union is not entered into when intercourse takes place but instead when the agreement is made. If you go back through my previous retort,you would realize that we the point I was making from its beginning.[/s] undecided

Finally, let me make this clear to you for the last time, this argument was never about marriage but what marriage gives to you, your argument that it does not automatically give you any rights to intercourse has been disproven, even with David, he made a personal choice, it does not mean it was right in the eyes of God, would he have made the same decision if he had no children or other wives? You're equating this to the traditional role of one man to one woman? You're funny! This is getting boring, anyone that has read our discourse so far knows that you are full of hot air, your laughable attempt to erase the word FLESH from the Bible and your amnesia in knowing what be fruitful and multply means shows that there's no point in continuing this charade......I wish you best of luck in your ignorance, I will no longer reply.....PEACE!
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Nov 20, 2021
abbey621:
Finally, let me make this clear to you for the last time, this argument was never about marriage but what marriage gives to you, your argument that it does not automatically give you any rights to intercourse has been disproven, even with David, he made a personal choice, it does not mean it was right in the eyes of God, would he have made the same decision if he had no children or other wives? You're equating this to the traditional role of one man to one woman? You're funny! This is getting boring, anyone that has read our discourse so far knows that you are full of hot air, your laughable attempt to erase the word FLESH from the Bible and your amnesia in knowing what be fruitful and multply means shows that there's no point in continuing this charade......I wish you best of luck in your ignorance, I will no longer reply.....PEACE!
Anyways, so far we see what God in fact said of the union that is marriage, and how God left it up to the man and woman to decide for themselves what their marriage will look like. undecided

God never mandated sex in marriage.. even though he allowed for sex in marriage by His Law, the same way God never mandated child bearing in marriage, even though in His Law, He allows it in a marriage. undecided

Essentially, even a sexless, childless marriage is sanctioned by God. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Freeeanijor: 1:09pm On Nov 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Anyways, so far we see what God in fact said of the union that is marriage, and how God left it up to the man and woman to decide for themselves what their marriage will look like. undecided

God never mandated sex in marriage.. even though he allowed for sex in marriage by His Law, the same way God never mandated child bearing in marriage, even though in His Law, He allows it in a marriage. undecided

Essentially, even a sexless, childless marriage is sanctioned by God. undecided
So which one is sin between fornication and adultery?
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Nov 21, 2021
Freeeanijor:
So which one is sin between fornication and adultery?
Adultery is what Jesus Christ said is sin in His New Covenant, and Jesus Christ defined the sin of Adultery thus:

■ Lusting in one's heart after a woman- Matthew 5 vs 28
■ divorcing one's wife for any reason other than fornication/sexual sin - Matthew 5 vs 32
■ marriage of a divorced woman- Matthew 5 vs 32
■ divorcing one's own wife for any reason other than fornication/sexual sin, and then marrying another woman - Matthew 19 vs 9
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Freeeanijor: 7:52pm On Nov 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Adultery is what Jesus Christ said is sin in His New Covenant, and Jesus Christ defined the sin of Adultery thus:

■ divorcing one's wife for any reason other than fornication/sexual sin - Matthew 5 vs 32
■ divorcing one's own wife for any reason other than fornication/sexual sin, and then marrying another woman - Matthew 19 vs 9
Thanks Kobojunkie, I wonder why religious leaders/clergies guilt trip us that fornication is a sin! What do they really gain from misleading people?
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 7:55pm On Nov 21, 2021
Freeeanijor:
Thanks Kobojunkie, I wonder why religious leaders/clergies guilt trip us that fornication is a sin! What do they really gain from misleading people?
The ones you call religoius leaders/clergies are the false teachers and false prophets, the pharisees of our time, who Jesus Christ warned us have one mission which is to deceive people away from following the Truth of God, leading them into following lies instead this all while pretending to be of God - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14 and Mark 7 vs 1 - 23 undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Freeeanijor: 7:56pm On Nov 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:

■ Lusting in one's heart after a woman- Matthew 5 vs 28/b]
■ divorcing one's wife for any reason other than fornication/sexual sin - [b]Matthew 5 vs 32

Thanks Kobojunkie, I wonder why religious leaders/clergies guilt trip us that fornication is a sin!

Lusting in one's heart after a woman- [b]Matthew 5 vs 28
Is it a married woman or a single woman? Please help elaborate.
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 8:28pm On Nov 21, 2021
Freeeanijor:
Thanks Kobojunkie, I wonder why religious leaders/clergies guilt trip us that fornication is a sin!

Lusting in one's heart after a woman- [b]Matthew 5 vs 28
Is it a married woman or a single woman? Please help elaborate.
Jesus Christ said,"...a woman", so it does not matter society's label on her. undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Mleeperbother: 7:33pm On Nov 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:

Sounds like you are trying to justify premarital sex. Seems like you "fornicate" a lot. No need to justify anything.
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Kobojunkie: 7:35pm On Nov 22, 2021
Mleeperbother:
Sounds like you are trying to justify premarital sex. Seems like you "fornicate" a lot. No need to justify anything.
Didn't you take time to process what is in fact stated in the post you responded to at all? How can one "justify" premarital sex with what Jesus Christ said? undecided
Re: Marriage And The Bible by Ajibade123(m): 9:04pm On Jun 07, 2022
Kobojunkie:

2. In Luke 20 vs 34 -36 & Mark 12 vs 18 - 27, Jesus Christ taught that your marriages are of this world and not of the Kingdom of God meaning your marriage relationship starts and ends here in this world. Your relationship to your husband, your children, in-laws etc., matter only in this world - such relationships and their definition mean absolutely nothing in the Kingdom of God. undecided

Again, Genesis 2 vs 24, Mark 10 vs 6 - 9 & Matthew 19 vs 3 - 5 , tell you exactly the same thing I have been saying which is that God of the Bible decreed that marriage is a contract between a man and a woman and is sealed when they join/cleave/mate/consumate. That details of the contract God left for them to decide for themselves. There are no additional laws placed by God on them as far as there marriage is concerned - no laws regarding children, sex, roles etc., absolutely none. undecided

since marriage is a choice does it mean having sex without being married is cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have You Ever Seen Jesus Christ In A Dream Or Vision? / Apostle Johnson Suleman 2024 Prophecies And Prophetic Declarations / Please Dont Watch Bad Romance By Lady Gaga At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 197
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.