Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,089 members, 7,811,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks (63220 Views)

BackYard Farming: My Turkey, Noiler And Guinea Fowl Birds & Goats / How To Hatch My Turkey’s Eggs / Fresh Start As My Day Old Chicks Arrive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by jidestroud(m): 7:59pm On Jul 30, 2022
Redomi:
She was hatched December 13th, she hatched her first clutch on July 24th. Thank you guys, waiting for the other two to hatch

Good one here. Happy to see this.

Moreover, have you thought of improving their variety by cross with the foreign turkeys?

Note: This is better done artificially sha ooo due to size & weight difference. Only with this was I able to achieve successful crossbreed turkeys.
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by oz4real83(m): 8:10pm On Jul 30, 2022
jidestroud:

Moreover, have you thought of improving their variety by cross with the foreign turkeys?

Note: This is better done artificially sha ooo due to size & weight difference. Only with this was I able to achieve successful crossbreed turkeys.
please clarify, the ones you crossbred, do dey also hatch their eggs on their own after laying just like the local ones?
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by jidestroud(m): 8:28pm On Jul 30, 2022
oz4real83:
please clarify, the ones you crossbred, do dey also hatch their eggs on their own after laying just like the local ones?

Wrong term I guess. What I meant to say is getting the sperm from the Male foreign turkeys and inserting it into the local females to get better hybrids. (I also use this methods for the foreign ones because natural breeding between them is not that successful in most cases; I end up losing the females most times due to injuries)
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by oz4real83(m): 8:29pm On Jul 30, 2022
jidestroud:

Wrong term I guess. What I meant to say is getting the sperm from the Male foreign turkeys and inserting it into the local females to get better hybrids. (I also use this methods for the foreign ones because natural breeding between them is not that successful in most cases; I end up losing the females most times due to injuries)
thanks
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by jidestroud(m): 9:39pm On Jul 30, 2022
oz4real83:
thanks
Uw
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Redomi(m): 9:44pm On Jul 30, 2022
jidestroud:

boss, I wish to try the artificial insemination one day, but I haven't try it before, I have watched different videos on YouTube, but I still need someone to guide me
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by jidestroud(m): 1:59am On Jul 31, 2022
Redomi:
boss, I wish to try the artificial insemination one day, but I haven't try it before, I have watched different videos on YouTube, but I still need someone to guide me

It's easier than you think grin. So long you can hold the Tom down to get the semen grin grin grin
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Redomi(m): 8:16am On Jul 31, 2022
jidestroud:

It's easier than you think grin. So long you can hold the Tom down to get the seen grin grin grin
ok sir
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by IamAsiri: 8:02pm On Jul 31, 2022
jidestroud:

It's easier than you think grin. So long you can hold the Tom down to get the semen grin grin grin

Ha! How's that now possible? How does the semen even come out? Then how do you inseminate the females?
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by IamAsiri: 8:06pm On Jul 31, 2022
jidestroud:

You mean they die? shocked
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by jidestroud(m): 9:22pm On Jul 31, 2022
IamAsiri:

Yes. The males are quite aggressive especially if the female isn't that cooperative (who will? Having such a heavy bird on you grin). They usually have deep cuts and tears on their backs and in most cases, leads to their deaths.

What I do in most cases is holding the female down and covering her back with a thick cloth before the Male mounts her to prevents cuts/injuries. Well, that was before I started doing it artificially.

3 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by jidestroud(m): 9:30pm On Jul 31, 2022
IamAsiri:

Ha! How's that now possible? How does the semen even come out? Then how do you inseminate the females?

grin grin grin
Lol... All you need is a 5ml syringe to suck it out. It's quite easier than it sounds grin. When that's done, same syringe is inserted into the opening of the female turkey. Gbam!!! That's it.
(In most cases, I do part dilution of the semen depending on the numbers of turkeys. I don't remember doing it for more than 5 hens then sha)

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by IamAsiri: 11:53pm On Jul 31, 2022
jidestroud:

grin grin grin
Lol... All you need is a 5ml syringe to suck it out. It's quite easier than it sounds grin. When that's done, same syringe is inserted into the opening of the female turkey. Gbam!!! That's it.
(In most cases, I do part dilution of the semen depending on the numbers of turkeys. I don't remember doing it for more than 5 hens then sha)

Sorry for my funny questions. Where do I insert the syringe in the male turkeys? Do they have a pouch or something filled with semen or should I just google it? embarassed

And also, does it mean that I don't need to have a male turkey before I get fertilized eggs? (So far I have to beg someone that has male turkeys and carry out the procedure)
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by jidestroud(m): 6:34am On Aug 01, 2022
IamAsiri:

Sorry for my funny questions. Where do I insert the syringe in the male turkeys? Do they have a pouch or something filled with semen or should I just google it? embarassed

And also, does it mean that I don't need to have a male turkey before I get fertilized eggs? (So far I have to beg someone that has male turkeys and carry out the procedure)

Lol...Sorry, wasn't laughing at the question asked earlier but at the method grin.

What you do is you stimulate the Male turkey (a matured one will do just well). In doing this, you will see the turkey release some semen which you simply use your syringe to collect from the surface. (The syringe is just for collection purposes for the males).

2. Yes, you don't need to have a male turkey so long you can get it from someone's male turkey to fertilize your female hens who are ready to lay.

(Also, there are lots of videos on the procedure on YouTube. It's easy trust me wink)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by IamAsiri: 2:12pm On Aug 01, 2022
jidestroud:

Lol...Sorry, wasn't laughing at the question asked earlier but at method grin.

What you do is you stimulate the Male turkey (a matured one will do just well). In doing this, you will see the turkey release some semen which you simply use your syringe to collect from the surface. (The syringe is just for collection purposes for the males).

2. Yes, you don't need to have a male turkey so long you can get it from someone's male turkey to fertilize your female hens who are ready to lay.

(Also, there are lots of videos on the procedure on YouTube. It's easy trust me wink)

Thanks Oga mi. A moo loore o grin (seriously speaking).
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by DanIduh06: 8:08am On Aug 19, 2022
Redomi:
She was hatched December 13th, she hatched her first clutch on July 24th. Thank you guys, waiting for the other two to hatch

I need male turkeys.
The one I have (3 years old) is extremely aggressive and giving injuries to family members and neighbours.

I need to dispose it ASAP.

Mine are always hatching more females.

Thanks.
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Redomi(m): 11:12am On Aug 19, 2022
DanIduh06:

I need male turkeys.
The one I have (3 years old) is extremely aggressive and giving injuries to family members and neighbours.

I need to dispose it ASAP.

Mine are always hatching more females.

Thanks.
waooo, and I was looking for female
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Sunnyhillsfarms: 1:47pm On Aug 25, 2022
IamAsiri:

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Wiseking00(m): 7:13am On Aug 26, 2022
This tread made me to develop interest on Turkey. I used to rear broilers on commercial .I bought 2 Turkeys and I was lucky enough to have one male and one female but unfortunately the female dies when it grown to POL .
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by AgubataAkokwa: 7:14pm On Aug 26, 2022
Can you create a WhatsApp group to help beginners sir.
I need this knowledge

2 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by balogwink: 9:27pm On Aug 27, 2022
Pls where can I get 8wks turkey for both sex in Lagos and how much will it cost. Thanks.
Wiseking00:
This tread made me to develop interest on Turkey. I used to rear broilers on commercial .I bought 2 Turkeys and I was lucky enough to have one male and one female but unfortunately the female dies when it grown to POL .

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Redomi(m): 4:12pm On Sep 13, 2022
Exactly 7 weeks that she hatched. She dropped another egg.
She started laying at 5 months and 1 week old

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by todto: 9:35pm On Sep 14, 2022
Redomi:
Exactly 7 weeks that she hatched. She dropped another egg.
She started laying at 5 months and 1 week old
pls what do u feed them with
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Redomi(m): 8:28pm On Sep 15, 2022
todto:

Ultima finisher.but feed is always in their feeders. Then, I make sure they have access to water leaves once a day
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Redomi(m): 8:31pm On Sep 15, 2022
todto:

third day today and she has layed 3 already
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by todto: 2:01pm On Oct 21, 2022
Redomi:
she is a good turkey. But feeding it with finisher feed, will you still make gain?
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Captainjoe2019(m): 5:00pm On Oct 23, 2022
todto:

she is a good turkey. But feeding it with finisher feed, will you still make gain?
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Captainjoe2019(m): 5:01pm On Oct 23, 2022
Hello boss,I've 12 6weeks old turkey and I've
some question to ask about feeding to avoid late dropping of egg

Can you drop your whåtßsap numba..
Redomi:
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Redomi(m): 8:27pm On Oct 23, 2022
Captainjoe2019:
Hello boss,I've 12 6weeks old turkey and I've
some question to ask about feeding to avoid late dropping of egg

Can you drop your whåtßsap numba..
ok, it's on my profile
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by jidestroud(m): 8:52am On Oct 24, 2022
Interesting read.
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by DeKen: 10:48am On Dec 11, 2022
Redomi:
Ultima finisher.but feed is always in their feeders. Then, I make sure they have access to water leaves once a day
Why finisher? Shouldn't layers feed be better?
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by DeKen: 10:50am On Dec 11, 2022

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm / The Truth About Palm and Kernel Business / Photo Of The Longest Yam In Nigeria Harvested In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.