Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,562 members, 7,816,363 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World (18608 Views)

In Nigeria Being A Single Young Lady In The Corporate Sector Is HARD WORK! / 8 Factors Hindering You From Moving Up The Corporate Ladder / The Nitty Gritty Of The Corporate World... Thing To Know Before Starting A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Labadi69: 3:59pm On Nov 22, 2021
RightToReject:

[s]The number one item isn't always true, and I couldn't read past it. It depends on your level of professionalism and mindset - one of the things I learned from the late MKO Abiola while growing up about his rise and exploits at ITT. As a topnotch professional, with the mindset (which include the inculcation of gumption and Midas Touch), you can always make the value you give to correlate with the reward you derive in the[/s] [s]corporate world by always working with rather than for the establishment (the partnership/gold-collar positioning), even when under its employment as a staff. The philosophy of self-conquest, self-belief, and the power of negotiation never disappoints - you'll always gain more from profit sharing or commission than salary alone.[/s]

If you really knew how MKO rose to the top at ITT, you would never write such yamayama nonesense so full of crap. See as you just confidently open your mouth waaaa to type rubbish angry

4 Likes

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by critic007(m): 4:18pm On Nov 22, 2021
Never get too familiar with colleagues. Trying to be too friendly may backfire at the appropriate time.

Do more of listening than talking, except where you have to make official presentations.

5 Likes

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by RightToReject(m): 4:19pm On Nov 22, 2021
Labadi69:

If you really knew how MKO rose to the top at ITT, you would never write such yamayama nonesense so full of crap. See as you just confidently open your mouth waaaa to type rubbish angry

Don't mistake me for the bumpkins that brought you into this world. Now scram and direct your further mention to small-minded people like you.

7 Likes

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Badgers14: 4:59pm On Nov 22, 2021
pocohantas:
Pay very close attention to your subordinates. Sometimes do giveaway for them. This includes cleaners and even security men. They can make or mar you.

Very true..

#1. They hear office gossips very well.. the cleaners usually knows where the "bodies" are buried in the building, all the nook and crannies.. who usually stay late.. which oga normally stay late to educate the intern as a father figure...

#.2 the secretaries, they are the ones that receive letters, type letters for their ogas and schedule their travels... they might be poorly paid but they know a thing or two.
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by richmondefosa(m): 5:34pm On Nov 22, 2021
folake4u:
Don't tell colleagues your family problems.
Office politics can be avoided if you play your cards right.

I quite disagree on this.

Office politics is very necessary. Play it and Use it to your advantage.

1 Like

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by jasontrigga(m): 5:38pm On Nov 22, 2021
Be extremely smart
Like miles ahead of ur co-workers
So they can’t easily predict your moves

Don’t chit-chat
Infact don’t always talk except it’s necessary

Keep your plans to yourself

Don’t stay in one organization for to long
Always have a plan B to avoid see finish

Know your job very well
With that it will be hard for anyone to rubbish you

Keep/treat the female workers at arm-length

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Yoighaman(m): 5:48pm On Nov 22, 2021
ReventifyCV:
More often than not, we learn our biggest lessons the hard way. From realizing that fire burns to experiencing some dazzling electric shocks, our childhood must have taught us many memorable lessons. Well, the corporate world is no different. It handles the ignorant and uninitiated in the same way a candle fire will – e no dey look face or intention. So, from mistakes that can cost you your job to those that can leave you wallowing in debt, you must realize that the corporate world is a place to tread carefully.

Our 12 Biggest Lessons from the Corporate World
1.The value you give is never correlated with the reward you derive
2. Not Making Allies is the Quickest Route to Failure
3. Your Boss and Coworkers Are Not Your Friends
4. You Are in Competition with Everyone, Even Your Boss
5.Long Service Doesn’t Mean a Thing
6. Promotions Are Not Always Tied to Your Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
7. Always Be Searching (ABS)
8. Be Valuable Yet Replaceable
9. Your Image Can Win You Favors
10. Office Romance Rarely Ends Well
11. Document Very Important Discussions
12. Never Pitch Your Tent with Mediocrity

Your departmental head will always have his inner circle, find your way into that circle but act neutral to everyone.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by folake4u(f): 5:57pm On Nov 22, 2021
richmondefosa:

I quite disagree on this.

Office politics is very necessary. Play it and Use it to your advantage.

Hmm.

I don't like Office politics at all. It can get really messy. undecided

2 Likes

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by oladipupo2234: 6:06pm On Nov 22, 2021
If you are very good at your job, there is a high tendency for your boss to feel jealous and insecure. This is to emphasize point 3 that everyone competes with you.

Learn to always speak up in every meeting or gathering, but be careful when you do. Never criticise your direct boss opinion. Even when you disagree with him, you shouldn't be the one to point out his weakness. The office is filled with pretenders and high service individuals.

Study your boss very well to know his personality trait. At the end of the day, he or she will determine whether you deserve to be promoted. so you don't want to step on his toes.

Go for the experience first at least during the formative stage of your career. Once you gathered 3 to 5 years of experience, consider changing job immediately especially if you work in an industry or company that doesn't pay well.

Continue to develop yourself else you get rusty with time.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 22, 2021
talk2hb1:

13) You Are Only Loyal To Yourself, and Your Salary. Because You are Paid Based on Your Relevancy
14)No Complacency, Be Comfortable With Being Uncomfortable!

Op's 7 & 8 and yours is EVERYTHING!

I'm with my 8th employer. The longest I've stayed on a job is 1 year 8 months. Shortest is 1 month. And each time my salary has increased. I'm only loyal in relationships. Anything else no concern me.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by professore(m): 6:22pm On Nov 22, 2021
Badgers14:
13. Do not cut corners.

14. Do not do any "favors" always follow companies policy.. don't be surprised that the person you did favors for will be the one to turn you in.

15. For the men, be careful the kind of joke or words you use around your female colleagues. They might laugh then but they usually save it for later and can cash in the future at your expense. (Yes, the reason why I didn't say women be careful.... is because in the corporate world, when this roles are reversed, it really holds water. Example, a guy tells blonde, hey Ashley you look nice today, I like your shirt, it showed your burst.
And a lady walks by and hits the guy on the chest, and feels his muscles hey Brad, you are buffed up with full chest, you slept at the gym all weekend? I like your shirt by the way, it shows your full broad chest.

Notice the difference, the guy just made a comment but the lady actually touched the guys chest in addition to making a comment ... usually, shamefully HR looks at the 2 cases differently and first and foremost.. the guy in this example will rarely report an incident like that , most men will not make anything out of it... but women
I like your contribution.
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 22, 2021
pocohantas:
Pay very close attention to your subordinates. Sometimes do giveaway for them. This includes cleaners and even security men. They can make or mar you.

Says who? Unless you can't beat your chest that you're adding value. Not even the owner can mar you, how? As long as you're not greedy, you mind your business, don't gossip, you're contented and don't cut corners... pls where would marring come from?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 22, 2021
jasontrigga:
Be extremely smart
Like miles ahead of ur co-workers
So they can’t easily predict your moves

Don’t chit-chat
Infact don’t always talk except it’s necessary

Keep your plans to yourself

Don’t stay in one organization for to long
Always have a plan B to avoid see finish

Know your job very well
With that it will be hard for anyone to rubbish you

You just described me. My modus operandi!

1 Like

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by pocohantas(f): 7:32pm On Nov 22, 2021
toren:

Says who? Unless you can't beat your chest that you're adding value. Not even the owner can mar you, how? As long as you're not greedy, you mind your business, don't gossip, you're contented and don't cut corners... pls where would marring come from?

You are right, nne.

1 Like

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Frenzy01(m): 8:06pm On Nov 22, 2021
Omoh... All this office work wey dey even dey boring �

Contact me for your swift buying and selling of any Dog breed. Pet care and boarding services also available
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by richmondefosa(m): 9:01pm On Nov 22, 2021
folake4u:

Hmm.

I don't like Office politics at all. It can get really messy. undecided

Office politics is different from office romance.

Politics exist in every sphere. Play to your advantage.

1 Like

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by frank950(m): 6:21am On Nov 23, 2021
Loner444:
Guys, please I need your help on how to register my small company

Thanks.

DM on WhatsApp

+2348176534532
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by geraldo077: 9:08am On Nov 23, 2021
Loner444:
Guys, please I need your help on how to register my small company

Thanks.

I can help you on the process, you can pm me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got / Have You Ever Worked Where You Had To Submit Your Phone Before Resuming / NITDA Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.