Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,767 members, 7,809,957 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' (42977 Views)

Mohamed Salah Avoids Kiss From A Female Reporter (Photos) / "We Don't Play Playstation Football":Jurgen Klopp To Reporter After Everton Draw / OMG!! Barcelona Star Arda Turan Threatens Reporter After Questioning His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Bayonet40: 4:24pm On Nov 25, 2021
Joysticks:
Is AFCON not a little tournament? Boring matches with under 2 goals and poor video coverage.
stop being a sadist
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Bayonet40: 4:27pm On Nov 25, 2021
Most nairalanders are suffering from inferiority complex

1 Like

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Numerouno94(m): 4:37pm On Nov 25, 2021
Kingcalls:
Just like we know copa America is a little tournament as well.

Painment will kill u if u continue to toll this path.
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Benkingg: 4:47pm On Nov 25, 2021
Klopp is right,
How can one player be bigger than the tournament itself.
Mohamed Salah receives close to $10m a year and the trophy worth little over $3m for the nation that won it.
That is far too small to be called a bigger tournament.
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2021
I think say blacks no get importance to dem but dis one day indirectly miss blacks
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by DaveHarry(m): 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2021
Slickest:

As baseless as it is, u family will stare at their screen till it's over.

We don't watch 17th century football tournament in my house.
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by generalwo(m): 4:52pm On Nov 25, 2021
I know some animals will support him..... Even the uefa nations league, he dare not call it a little tournament talkless of afcon that has seen displays of some of the games greatest players.... Drogba, kanu, okocha, eto,.... Just name it...... How else or what else does he mean by little? Is there any other definition of little apart from something that's insignificant? This is how they go about stylishly supporting cyber bullying and racism and pretend to be against it...... Na werin dey im useless mind e just talk so..... Mumu man
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Kingcalls: 4:53pm On Nov 25, 2021
Numerouno94:

Painment will kill u if u continue to toll this path.

Painment can't kill me cos its a fact...copa has always been a trash tournament that no one has ever taken serious, no one talk about it , no one is interested in it ....but because messii finally won it , his fans wanna mk it the best thing after sliced bread
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by generalwo(m): 4:57pm On Nov 25, 2021
Joysticks:
Is AFCON not a little tournament? Boring matches with under 2 goals and poor video coverage.
.... That poor video quality game has produced players that the world of football can never forget...... Learn to appreciate your own no matter how bad it is..... European football coverage did not attain high definition in one day..... We will get there.... Until then, we should value and support what we have.......

1 Like

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by generalwo(m): 4:59pm On Nov 25, 2021
oloriooko:
him no lie na what's the fuss about
Afcon no get level at all imagine no VAR in the last qualifiers, teams still write to complain about ref, it's a big shame
let's tell ourselves the truth africa and afcon are both little things!
..... That's why no one will value people like you because you see where you come from as little.... I am sure klopp will value people from Pakistan better than you because you see yourself as small while they see themselves as equals with the whites......
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by generalwo(m): 4:59pm On Nov 25, 2021
Pathokpo:

If it were the uefa tournament, would he have described it in the same way. He may not have meant to disrespect the afcon tournament but, human inate perception goes a long way in determining his choice of words in social interaction. That is why when interacting with people try to pay close attention to their choice of words and not just what they are trying to communicate, so you could have a better understanding of them.
..... In a simple sentence, please explain the other meaning he may have meant with the words "little tournament"

1 Like

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by generalwo(m): 5:01pm On Nov 25, 2021
paulolee:
the most important thing is dt..he was asked n he explained dt he was misunderstood out of context....
to me, all country tournaments are little except the biggest n prestigious worldcup...
I see no bits of racism or disrespect in his words bcox we know hoe much he love black players...
...... Because it's a white coach that said it... Nothing is wrong.... But if na black coach for Yankee talk am, problem Don start.... Can Sunday oliseh refer to uefa nations league as a little tournament
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by generalwo(m): 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2021
Guyman02:
He said he was misunderstood because he is not a native English speaker. Case closed!
.... He is not a native English speaker but he can pronounce little as it is... Or does little have a different meaning in German? Can Sunday oliseh as a Nigerian coach call uefa nations league a small tournament without getting condemnation from the international community??

2 Likes

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Hkff: 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2021
Really
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by DaveHarry(m): 5:13pm On Nov 25, 2021
Angelfrost:

Biden is an old underperforming charlatan
Buhari is an inept, vindictive, and nepotistic head of state
Kim Jong Un is a poorly bred, dwarfish, and ruthless tyrant
Vladmir Putin is a sadistic, cold-blooded bully
Etc...

The above are well known facts sir... Can Klopp make such statements in public?!!

That something is true, doesn't make it right or normal to spew them out in press conferences.

I like this your statement. Okay AFCON is a little tournament, we know, but as someone in the business he is not supposed to say it in public conferences.

1 Like

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by ajl: 5:15pm On Nov 25, 2021
That's why they made Africa appear smaller on the world map, in order to make you think you are small, even though Africa will swallow the whole of North America, China, western Europe, India, and still has a lot of space for many other countries. You are bigger than you are made to believe. Act and do big things. Stop acting and doing "little".

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by pek(m): 5:23pm On Nov 25, 2021
KingEverest:

he wasnt tryin to belittle afcon its wrong choice of words
What stopped him from apologising then?
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by KingEverest: 5:26pm On Nov 25, 2021
pek:
What stopped him from apologising then?
He already did
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by JordanMichael(m): 5:27pm On Nov 25, 2021
Very LITTLE cool
But Klopp was misunderstood
Joysticks:
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by pek(m): 5:39pm On Nov 25, 2021
KingEverest:

He already did
He didn't!
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Andercruz: 5:49pm On Nov 25, 2021
robosky02:
UCL: Klopp clashes with reporter after calling African Cup of Nations ‘little tournament’

https://dailypost.ng/2021/11/25/ucl-klopp-clashes-with-reporter-after-calling-african-cup-of-nations-little-tournament/

Honestly, he didn't have a premeditated intent to ridicule Africa.... I'm sure he made an innocent comment bereft of degradation. Honestly!

You know the hunted... victim of aspersions will always feel threatened and read unhealthy meanings into most innocent comments and actions of those such believes are traitors to his confidence, integrity and 'security.'

....and you what?
This will popularize the idea that AFCON is actually insignificant which it isn't.

Trivial comments shouldn't quickly and often trigger a sense of devalue and derision in our hearts.

I'm sure he meant no harm to anyone...and his explanation was not even laced with mild or overt derision or arrogance. I also saw no clash at all in the passage.
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Slickest(m): 5:56pm On Nov 25, 2021
DaveHarry:

We don't watch 17th century football tournament in my house.
Lwkm...lies!!!
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by goodheart01: 6:08pm On Nov 25, 2021
I understand what he meant, though he didn't mean to belittle the tournament. But truth be told, AFCON is a little tournament, simple. If they want the world to respect it, they have to up the ante on everything that has to do with African football
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Realtosin: 6:22pm On Nov 25, 2021
KingEverest:
all these journalist and reporters eh undecided they understood wat he meant o they just wanted to implicate him

I tell you, we journalists engage in those things like something else just to pull traffic... Nonsense
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by tafat: 7:16pm On Nov 25, 2021
This guy is not serious, it's a little tournament that's about to cost him his best players, well what do I even know, make I just go listen to better music with my Oraimo Freepod 3. Atleast that's more suiting.

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by FlipModeSquade(m): 7:48pm On Nov 25, 2021
pek:
Okay. Help us to understand what he meant by a little tournament.
Like I said..

He was quoted out of context..

Go and read the WHOLE INTERVIEW..

If you can't decipher..

That the reporter was being mischievous..

By lifting the 'little tournament' out..

Then there's nothing I can do to help you.. grin
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by intruder15(m): 7:56pm On Nov 25, 2021
Joysticks:

This post reminded me of several scene in the cartoon boondocks where if blacks called themselves nigga it's okay but if whites did same it's racism.

Irony of life.
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by intruder15(m): 7:57pm On Nov 25, 2021
Pathokpo:

If it were the uefa tournament, would he have described it in the same way. He may not have meant to disrespect the afcon tournament but, human inate perception goes a long way in determining his choice of words in social interaction. That is why when interacting with people try to pay close attention to their choice of words and not just what they are trying to communicate, so you could have a better understanding of them.

If it's a big tournament why will fifa allocate same slot to Africa and south America for the world cup even though south America is about 11 teams or thereabout.
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Blakpot: 8:33pm On Nov 25, 2021
Good the reporter called him out
Patronizing pr*ck
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Kazim88: 9:06pm On Nov 25, 2021
Papadoh:
Don't beat yourself up over it, Klopp. IT IS A LITTLE TOURNAMENT. Lots of us Africans don't even bother to watch it unless we're really bored.
I really resent the way these white folks treats other races like they are weak, oversensitive, and can't stand up for themselves. We Africans are strong and thick-skinned and it's going to a whole lot more than that to offend us. Save the pity party for someone who cares.

Sadly, many Nigerians have join Oyibo people to be sensitive.

How can what someone said be upsetting you as a Nigerian.

You have multiple challenges, inflation and we just laugh over them and keep moving forward, keep breaking down.

Nigerians in US are the most successful migrant group because a NORMAL Nigerian will never risk everything and travel abroad only to go and be doing protest.

1 Like

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by openmine(m): 9:57pm On Nov 25, 2021
The title is misleading!
There was no clash!
Klopp made a clarification based on the content of the title that he was misquoted but some funny folks just want to raise unnecessary dust in order to make sensational news!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago / Manchester United Appoints Mourinho As Coach / Cristiano Ronaldo Poses With His 5th Champions League Trophy - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.