Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,361 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) - Properties (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (149319 Views)

For Sale.....luxury Block Of 4flats @ Ikota Villa Lekki Before Vgc(pictures) / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu / Luxury Block Of 6 Nos 3 Bedroom Flat "TO LET" @ IKEJA Gra,lagos with pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (56) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by FLORIDACAR: 8:16am On Oct 10, 2011
Letter to Brabus/Nexthome:
The smartness lies with the "mode" you choose and also how effectively you make the most of the path chosen. Philosophies aside, it is very uncommon in today's youth to be accredited for being a marathon runner. For there is no prize for starting small to make it big one day, but only to start big to be the biggest in no time smiley Sadly, we fail to realize, "Its not how good you are, its how good you want to be". The word "potential" is more common in people than the word "succesful" and one doesn't have to dig too deep to figure why? what happen to you is what we see in most of our Nigerian youth today, you collected those money from your client known fully well that its not enough, but you collected it anyway because u have your immediate needs that need to be attended to. with your MONEY MONGER mind set that you can always run back to him and get more as usual.
No doubt I was one of your fans and die hard follower I even subscribes to you on facebook. thinking you are real and good biz Minded person. OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE NOT" ruining back to this page now and giving low down on how u run your business do u know good but arm. I pray that your client have it somewhere with in him to forgive you all u put him trough.

@Anouhah/Brabus client, You did good brother !
@Spider, pls stay away from those nonsense that came out of your mouth that prices change and all blablab-la! it doesn't sound good coming from you!

@AMLONE, You always point blank. you good as always.
@PHEEMY, Honestly i don't know what to say , lol
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NextHome(m): 9:30am On Oct 10, 2011
I cannot agree less that everybody is absolutely right - I didn't do well.

I'd taken up a renovation project which had just rubbished all that I've built over time. Though it seems like an intentional foul. Honestly, it wasn't.

My dad told me "-  until you tow the line, you'll never understand how rough the road is. There's no school for experience - you acquire it."

Now that I've seen the rough side, I think its good to re-evaluate the situation and check where I think got it wrong.

1. Unforeseen Structural Problems
Until you open the floors and the walls, you can never be sure how much it will cost if you are renovating an older house. A typical house inspection when you are making a quote cannot find all the problems. It will NEVER!

2. Unrealistic Budget for what your client want

Most of us do not know how pricey building our ideal house can be. As a result, we tend to think one price fits all. I've been there and I can see that the best thing to do is to get everything out in writing. If it is an AC you are buying. It will be good to write out the make, the size, the features and all the miscellaneous. I'm sure if I'd done it that way, I won't be recounting my losses now.

All the same, I'll still apologize to all my fans on Nairaland and Facebook that I'm very sorry I disappointed you. I hope you'll forgive and forget.

To all my clients especially the new ones who are reading this - I'm very sorry.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 2:40pm On Oct 10, 2011
FLORIDACAR:

The smartness lies with the "mode" you choose and also how effectively you make the most of the path chosen. Philosophies aside, it is very uncommon in today's youth to be accredited for being a marathon runner. For there is no prize for starting small to make it big one day, but only to start big to be the biggest in no time smiley Sadly, we fail to realize, "Its not how good you are, its how good you want to be". The word "potential" is more common in people than the word "succesful" and one doesn't have to dig too deep to figure why? what happen to you is what we see in most of our Nigerian youth today, you collected those money from your client known fully well that its not enough, but you collected it anyway because u have your immediate needs that need to be attended to. with your MONEY MONGER mind set that you can always run back to him and get more as usual.
No doubt I was one of your fans and die hard follower I even subscribes to you on facebook. thinking you are real and good biz Minded person. OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE NOT" ruining back to this page now and giving low down on how u run your business do u know good but arm. I pray that your client have it somewhere with in him to forgive you all u put him trough.

@Spider, pls stay away from those nonsense that came out of your mouth that prices change and all blablab-la! it doesn't sound good coming from you!

How I wish we tone down our language to sound more civil, not trying to malign each other or resorting to name calling. This is a public forum and I am here purposefully to learn, any day I think I am being tempted to trade words with anybody, I will slowly withdraw to my shell as I don't like attacking people. We are better when we make peace, no need adding comments that will infuriate a party in a conflict or inflame the situation. More suggestions for solutions is what we need now.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 2:45pm On Oct 10, 2011
FLORIDACAR:

Is this to my own Fhemmmy or someone else?
Cos since all these saga started, i have said nothing nor even commented on the thread . . . . . .

Yes, i will agree that it is sad to see this happened, but i am sure that the client and the contrator will find a way to settle this, thus my decision to stay away from it . . . . . .
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by AmAlone: 8:01pm On Oct 10, 2011
FLORIDACAR:

You took the bull by the horns man - lol
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Demainman1: 10:17pm On Oct 10, 2011
Hey Am Alone, I surely am not your biggest fan on this forum but I must confess I admire your bluntness and tell-it-as-it-is no matter what attitude. While most nigerians have learnt to speak with both sides of their months (AKA politicians) by not speaking the truth in order not to offend, You just speak your mind and i like that a lot. Nigeria surely need more people like you and i mean it in a sincere way. But don't ever venture into politics in naija o because e no go pay you at all. Your OLUWA NA CHAMPION!!!!!

@Oga Brabus,You fall my hand I must confess. And to think that I am a big fan of your stories of success. I will still remain your fan but please try and remedy this situation as quickly as you can. Please. And NEVER let it happen again because all of this can be avoided with proper planning. Thanks.

@Spyder, Please stop making excuses for anybody no matter who. I know you mean well but at times silence can be the better option especially coming from a fellow contractor like you. People can draw wrong conclusions from those your attempts at trying to be peace maker. "Birds of the same feather" readily comes to mind

I will like to believe that very soon i will contract you to build something for me. I will definitely not want to entertain these type reasons for delaying my work at all. As a professional, i will not be wrong to expect a professional advice/job regarding cost of material/labour from you and not excuses for wasting my time and money.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Select(m): 3:26am On Oct 11, 2011
Get across for the processing of your Building Plan Approvals and Titled Documents( Governor's Consent, C of O, Ratification cases etc) in Lagos, Ogun and Abuja.
I work as a Town Planning Officer in Lagos State.
Pls send mail to select500@yahoo.com and I will get back to you immediately. Cheers!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by princeonx: 5:10am On Oct 11, 2011
why is it that contractors complain about prices only when they are not giving enough money or when they so call under price/quote? how many of them will come back and inform you the client that the materials were bought at discounted prices? I haven't commented on this for a while now because i was extremely busy and I don't want to make life/things tougher on Nexthome AKA Brabus. At the same time I am really not happy with those asking the client to count his loses after paying for a job. why does it have to be the client that should lose money? why not the contractor? A lot of brand name companies and products had suffer great loses just to keep their good name but that is not the case in naija. realeasing money in full to get a job done on time is now a crime! I thought they said its money that holds or delay job? if money is available yet job not done, what went wrong? In my opinion the clients money was diverted to something else! maybe another uncompleted story story project somewhere. Am not saying this to sound mean but honestly if I were the client, I will get every single last dime that was not accounted for even if I have to spend more money and time in doing that! People should stop taking other for a ride just because we have a messed up system where no one is held responsible for doing wrong. Here in the western world contractors will advise you on possible ways to cut cost yet get an efficient and timely job but in naija once you're building a house, you are now ATM to some people and they believe/think you're rich so they can always milk you of money!

@Nexthome: spare me with all that God God talk! I doubt if you mentioned God on your contract so leave God out of this. As for begging, I hate it. Am a human and I know when to just walk out of a situation because I know its rough not because someone is busy begging me. This is a deal gone wrong so consider or just pretend that your reputation is in the hospital and need urgent help. Go borrow money if you have to and settle your client. If need be he can use the refund to get someone else to complete his job instead of asking and begging for more time yet nothing is done. He can't get an unfinished job, unpaid balance/refund, yet you expect him to raise more money to finish it. If you were a big company I'll advise the client to drag you to court without looking back!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NextHome(m): 8:44am On Oct 11, 2011
At this point, I'll advice the client list all that needs to be done at the site. Our agreement does not specify "a particular item" that should be installed or purchased - so the issue has always been 'I dont like this, change that'

Really, if court settlement is the answer - so let it be. Its still part of life.

Thank you.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Analytical(m): 8:53am On Oct 11, 2011
Are we still on this? I thought you two met on Saturday at the site and things were ironed out? Pray, what is that item that is still stalling the delivery of this project? I think we have come this far to start calling for court settlement!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NextHome(m): 9:18am On Oct 11, 2011
What happened last Saturday

My client complained about the AC we installed and had some other few complaints which I told him will be very hard for me to accommodate at this time. I expected this issues to be discussed here so that we get things resolved once and for all.

The truth of the matter is that the project was not well defined and as a result it seems I was paid to do just anything my client wants. That wasn't the case, there's a budget and there's a clause which states why the project may exceed given time. And there are also correspondences which confirms what should be done, when and how. If my client come up again today and say the wardrobe suppose to 20 doors wardrobe - because there's no specification, he will be adjudge right.

It a messy situation but I know it wont ever repeat itself again. I really wish he can be patient and understand with me and we get out of this all whole issue peaceful.

Otherwise, customer is the king.

@Prince_onx, thanks for the input. In this case, all the prices listed are lower than the budget/cost given to my client customer.

@Demain_man, I'm sure I didn't come online to mess myself up.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Analytical(m): 9:30am On Oct 11, 2011
I think Ahonohai's input will be needed now. Please what else remains to be done or what was not done properly, Ahonohai? Let's see how things can be sorted out since the issues have come to an open forum. There has to be compromises especially in those grey areas where things were not clearly specified from the onset. I think we are almost there. Waiting . . .
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NextHome(m): 9:56am On Oct 11, 2011
My client said we were doing well at the beginning of the project. Yes, it was just block and cement that were involved then. A block is block, it could either be 9 inches or 6 inches. It is a different case when you are getting a Red paint which could either be Raspberry, Tile Red, Crimson Red etc. So, if things are not clearly spelt out, there'll always be issues.

I know there are things I intentionally delayed when I discovered there are too many revisions but that doesn't mean I just moved into a corner to squander my clients fund.

All these stories won't have been necessary if there'd been compromises. I have never told my client, we can't replace or make corrections - all I've been asking for is time to make those changes.

@Ahonohia, the Study door has been replaced as requested yesterday. What's left to be done are the 2 bathroom doors and the small partition in the guest bath. If there are other things to be done, please list them out sir.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 10:37am On Oct 11, 2011
@ Analytical, thanks for your input. You see the reason I was advocating for a peaceful solution to all these, there are always two sides to every story and in this transaction, we still don't have all the facts in front of us, so it will be better for us to comment with utmost caution so we don't say things we might see not to be the way we thought it was. This is a developing story and until every fact is out, I will still urge all of us to have patience and watch.
In Nigeria we don't list down all the specifications in projects, sometimes I have given out jobs to engineers only to find out there are no established descriptive analysis attached to the contract, as such it becomes difficult to calculate some things. I will give an example here, sometimes in 2004, a friend told me to build his house for him, he sent the cash and I immediately commenced work, my workers were paid for everything, I had paid the carpenter to do a ceiling and even bought ceiling boards, I have paid another carpenter for doors to be built and he is making the wooden doors. My friend called me and told me to hold on. He came into town and I remember that it was when I was having a drink with him in a night club that he told me he will do POP ceiling and use Metal doors, all plans had to change and I now had to sell the doors and see how to persuade the carpenters to return part of their advance.

In building, it is not always the way we planned it to be, many things are left unsaid to be decided when the time comes.

Another analogy, I recently gave a quote for a duplex (it seems I will stop taking contract jobs, seriously I don't need the stress) and in that duplex quote, I made an estimate for my client for N500k for metal doors with installation, another N600k for all types of tiles and the tiler, now imagine this, my client have not told me anything about the quoted quality since I am sure there are doors of that range, supposing my client now points at a bullet proof door and asks me to install them in each room at the price I gave, will you guys say he is right, well the customer is king! And he is always right even as I am losing money like Arsenal letting in goals!!
And if he drops into site and gives me a sample tile (imported high quality Spanish tiles) for me to place on his floor and walls which is 4 times the cost of the one I have in my house, which I quoted for, I will also be expected to cough up the balance N1m or so to satisfy my customer who is king?

All am saying is that in some business, things need to be defined and agreed to before you can hold your contractor responsible, supposing you are renovating and you don't have light in the apartment to test your works, and the contract didn't specify that the contractor should provide power, should he still be held accountable for delays? Ditto for water to wash the floor and toilets?

@ Demain-man, I value your contributions but I am sorry if I disappoint you, sorry I will stick to my story till we find out what was in the agreement these guys signed, I don't care if I get a job from you or not, let the truth prevail, I cannot in the expectation of getting jobs, take positions which are contrary to my core beliefs as a person, which is to give each man a chance to defend himself, I will still urge for caution even as we all comment, till Ahanohai talks, till we see the agreements, till we understand Brabus constraints, if he quoted low, he should come up with the balance, but we must not condemn one man if he made an honest mistake, except you know more of this that me? Are you sure he diverted funds? Tell us so we investigate.

Another impression I want to correct from Demain_man's earlier post this morning is that we contractors don't see you guys as ATM machines, far from it (or at least that's the way I think personally) I am out to an honest work and if I must quote low to rubbish my reputation, then the contract is not worth doing no matter how much I am being paid to do it. Building a house is a capital intensive project, it should be treated as such.

@ Am alone, don't worry about going to court, everybody is not the same. Ahanohai is a gentleman an I am sure there will be a peaceful solution to all these, but you can call the cops, first for that your dishonest bricklayer, the one you said was dishonest while doing your fence, I wonder why you didn't imprison him?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Aks(m): 11:07am On Oct 11, 2011
@ spyder880---- I just like your person but I'LL still want you to thread with caution. You can only speak for yourself and not others even though you belong to the same profession (That is what Demain_man is trying to point out). Look at this line of yours(These are personal convictions):
1) but we must not condemn one man if he made an honest mistake, except you know more of this that me? Are you sure he diverted funds (For me YES, Going by the trail of the posts)
2) We contractors don't see you guys as ATM machines, far from it (or at least that's the way I think personally) I am out to an[b] honest work [/b]and if I must quote low to rubbish my reputation, then the contract is not worth doing no matter how much I am being paid to do it

I don't belong to the school of thought that Ahanohai should now come up with terms of agreement as the professional contractor has pointed out, all we want is for him to finish the job as agreed and submit the Keys; He's advocating for court (LOL) cos he knows court will tell him to pay the balance at his convenience -- these are dramas playing out

@ Am alone, how are u doing Pls let's have a look at your building and the progress made so far
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 11:19am On Oct 11, 2011
@ my man Aks, this is wha I want Ahanohai to come online, especially after last Saturday's meeting with Brabus and tell us his reasons for not collecting the keys. I didn't see anywhere Ahanohai said or implied that his funds were diverted contrary to Demain_man's position. That someone was given N2.3m and he bought materials and did a job of above N2.2m doesn't look to me like diversion, rather misquotes and repeated jobs and payments. I will still want to be proved wrong that this is not a mistake but intentional fraud. I hate fraud and all its perpetrators, but if this man made a mistake, he should pay the money and not be accused of more things like diversion.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Demainman1: 11:48am On Oct 11, 2011
^^^^ @ Spyder, thanks for your replies above. The fact of the matter is we must all acknowledge that Brabus messed up this time even though it may not be intentional. As professionals that have handled several projects of this type (house building) I expect you guys to have every detail of each contract listed before giving a quotation for a job. If a man wants you to give him a quote for a door i expect your first question to him to be what type of door or at least list all the options for him to allow him make his choice and then quote accordingly.

That way you are not giving him a general but a specific qoute based on his taste/desire. If he comes round tomorrow to say he wants a different type of door, we all know that he must foot the bill since he is the one moving the goalpost.

Personally, I don't let my contractor buy for me anymore, i remember in one of my post directed to you where i told you of a security door that was installed in my house which i hated so much but cannot now do anything about it as i initially left it to the welder to decide and now it is too late to do anything about it expect i want to foot the bill for replacement.

I remember reading one of your or brabus post where you said that you let the owner do all the purchasing of material. Why let another man decide what you like? why couldn't anohohai confirm by seeing the fotograph of all interior decor materials before they are bought to ensure they are what he wants?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Demainman1: 12:02pm On Oct 11, 2011
To think that this project is just a mere house renovation is what makes it difficult to understand all una various excuses of price variations and all what not.

Sincerely speaking, from all you and brabus have taught us in your various classes so far, i know i can definity oversee house renovation/building with little or no fuss whatsoever.

Using you inputs here i am now better overseeing my house procject in the village and non of the contractors is giving me any cok and bull.  grin And of course i know that in some cases i am having to spend more for some of the work i know i can do myself if i were on the ground
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Analytical(m): 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2011
@Topic, I really don't like to take sides on issues, especially when I don't have all the facts from both sides. I followed the thread since when it started, even though silently then. Everyone will agree the renovation job was not even the reason for this thread! It came on when Brabus was already handling the block of flats. It was more like a job that could be handled quickly (2 weeks to be precise, though I had my reservation about the duration).

When he got the job, he was reluctant to even put the details online until he confirmed from his client if he would want to do that and he obliged. I must say someone who sets out primarily to defraud wouldn't do that. If he wanted to defraud, he could have done that without having to expose himself to ridicle in this manner and rubbish what he has been doing. There was transparency at the beginning and we all followed until issues started coming up. This is why I decided to weigh in and see an amicable solution to the issues involved. We shouldn't be quick to label Brabus a fraud or an embezzler of funds, even though things should have been handled differently.

Looking at the issues objectively, one would say he hasn't done well, which he already admitted. Things were not clearly spelt out, funds were not immediately utilised, certain prices were obviously below market prices, workers were disappointing, etc. I am not making excuses for him. I have categorically stated he disappointed us all. He allowed things to get out of hand. The client paid in full in advance including his fee (I wouldn't do that!!) and so has no reason to start hearing stories. He relied on professional expertise which he should get.

However, we must also all admit the unexpected does happen and things may not go according to plan sometimes. I don't see anything wrong in contractor supplying items. Is that not part of what the client hired him to do? The lapse is in not taking specs into consideration and I think that is a learning point for all, including Ahonohai, hence, my call for compromise!
I am about resolution of the issue.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Demainman1: 12:39pm On Oct 11, 2011
^^^^ I personally do not belief brabus set out to defraud his client and I have stated it here that I remain his loyal student and i will be very happy whenever all of this is resolved amicably.

I am happy to ask my contractor to buy material as long as I see what he is buying (including color, design and quality)

When it comes to taste i belief it should not be left solely to the contractor's discretions. This is where the client's input matter most.

I hope that by this time next week ahonohai will be singing  a different happy tune.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by lovetosin: 11:49pm On Oct 11, 2011
[b]@ brabus/nexthome : thanks for everyone who has render one input or the other in the amicable resolution of this case.Brabus,this should serve as a lesson to
you,when you come on here giving free professional quotes which a lot of people have benefited from in their thousands ,they hail you as the messiah,sing your name and wanna be friends but when the going gets tough,BUT remember they would be the very first that would desert you in your hours of need,try to pull you down no
matter the cost.
Though brabus has messed up in the timely execution of this project,but we shouldn't hang,him but seek to resolve this case and have him finish the job.All this fix-
refix-fix-refix is now getting boring.Let the client come out,state whats outstanding on the project and have brabus fix  it .Theres a lot we dont know about the behind
the scene events such as the brand of a.c to be bought,door,kitchen cabinet,wardrobe,how much the client paid for each and the ,market price the items were sold
for.Was there mis-appropriation of fund,why was there a lot of revision been done over and over again,was there communication btw client and builder as to the
specifics etc,then we can safely start calling people names.

pls brabus,try and finish this guys house,its draging on for too long but as you learn from this experince,am sure its gonna make you a better person cuz you are still a
relevant authority in the building business and lots of people look forward to you as a role model and your tips,valuable cost saving techniques are still going to be
needed cuz there are still millions out there to benefit from it. Stand up,dust yourself and prove yourself that a slip-up won't define who you are ,but as someone trying to carve a niche for himself and makes house-ownership a dream come through for the poorer masses , and for those who are quick to open their mouth to judge and condemn people,you will always be the first to run here looking for cheap and free information from people who earn their livelihood from such profession, when that person is no more, whats next you run to the nxt free agent, intsead of rally round,support and TEACH such individuals.

As far as i know from the part of the world i am,if you are a smart,creative young man trying to give to the society for the good of the people and your tract-record speaks for itself(there would always be stumbling blocks and trying times)instead of trying to bring you down,the system is always there to give you a second chance and provide you with an environment for you to right your wrong and learn from such experinces to be a better person so that the far greater good-your knowledge wont be swept under the carpet and can be pass across to the people.ON  this note , i say to you brabus , please satisfy this client so he can be happy and move into is house cuz he has worked for is money and deserves the right to the proper completion of is property as stipulated in your agreement.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 12, 2011
I really don’t have the stomach for going back and forth on simple issues.

If Brabus really needed me to list out all the outstanding items, he knows how to reach me.

I am amazed when he speaks of revisions to the project as there were only three significant revisions.

Demolishing the original wall and shifting the position to cater for the new bathroom – He did this without my consent and since the work had already been done I allowed it to stand so the work would move forward.

Laminate Floors – He was to install it but then said there was a difference in height between the living room and the passage and they would need to make some adjustments or only do it half way. I then asked if it was too late to cancel it and arrange a refund. He said yes. I have been waiting for the refund ever since. That money is unconnected to the other work.

Shower compartment – Originally there were to have been two shower compartments for each bathroom. He noted that we were running over budget and if we could reduce it and fabricate one for the guest bathroom. I obliged and we have been going back and forth on the design ever since. On one Saturday, I was there with him and the aluminium specialist and we agreed on a design that would work. He said it would be installed by Tuesday. It took him three weeks to tell me that the prototype did not fit and he couldn’t fit it. I have again agreed on a different approach and am waiting for an answer.

Every other modification was done due to the fact that the work done was shoddy and highly unprofessional. His excuse was that he was away from the site when the work was done. If true then it is a failure on his part to properly delegate work to individuals who will produce the highest quality of work. Such modifications include the following

Tiling to the Guest Bathroom – The work was so badly done I could have done a better job. He had to break all the tiles and refit them at his expense. There is no way I will pay for a mistake.

Screeding of Walls – The passage was to have been screeded alongside the living room. This was not done and they simply painted over the existing texcoat paint without scraping the wall. After going over our agreements. He was forced to rescreed the wall again at his expense.

He conveniently blamed Kola the carpenter for the delay in fixing the wardrobes and kitchen cupboards. To that I waved a blind eye even though I know a good project manager will ensure that replacement fittings are obtained so the work will move forward.

I will like him to point out any areas I made him modify which were not due to poor workmanship. Do you expect me to accept poor workmanship after paying so much? I doubt it.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 12, 2011
I forgot to even talk about the issue of the A/Cs

I was to have 2 Spilt Units and 2 Window Units.

He complained of rising costs and suggested an oscillator in the study - I obliged. . . I am still waiting for the oscillator

I asked him what brand of A/Cs he was supplying he said Panasonic.

He was to supply 2 2HP Units one for the bedroom and one for the living room but he supplied 1 2HP and 1 1.5HP I told him I knew what he did but I let it slide.

I have been waiting for the window Unit since the first week of August. Finally this weekend he installed a piece of crap on the wall.

First off the installation work was awful and unsightly when compared to the quality of work in the house.

Secondly he supplied a Midea brand A/C. When I asked him why, he said Panasonic does not make window units.

Did it take him three months to discover this? If indeed it took him three months to discover it, shouldn't he have informed me before committing to another brand? I told him to remove it because that's not what he committed to supplying. To me that is dishonest and playing smart
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Aks(m): 10:23am On Oct 12, 2011
@ ahonohai--- thanks for the concise info, am short of words till I see the contractor comment

@ OTHERS--- those who believe that Brabus made honest mistakes & co, I guess you can all see the mail above. Getting money is not easy & not easy to let go when people mismanage ur fund / deviate from agreement i.e. Y install Midea AC instead of panasonic

@ love-tosin --- this your epistle is twisted

@ Brabus--- You can counter the write up above if anything has been blown beyond proportion
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Analytical(m): 10:55am On Oct 12, 2011
Ahonohai,  thanks for taking time to respond.  It seems there are three things outstanding: 1) Bathroom partitioning and 2) The window unit A/C. 3) Oscillator

Brabus should get the bathroom partitioning done since you have agreed on the new approach.  Some posts ago, I gave some options when Brabus complained he has run out of money.  His lack of funds may be responsible for that.  

On the window unit A/C, I don't know how easy it will be for him to return what he has bought already.  The supplier may not just want to accept it back since it was installed already.  Since what he supplied was not what was agreed (at least verbally), he may have to add money for them to accept it back in exchange for a different brand (shouldn't be more than N5k-N10k difference though).  I must say the the A/C installation doesn't look too great (not the A/C itself but the padding on the wall).

He already agreed he will refund you 132k (I think for the laminate floor?).  I think you should forget about that oscillator since he couldn't get it anyway and instead get a split unit A/C if you dont want to start breaking the wall all over again.  Add the money for the oscillator to what he is to refund and get the split unit you want yourself.

So, what is your decision, having in mind he said he has run out of funds?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 11:33am On Oct 12, 2011
@ ahanohai, thanks for clarifying these points about what is remaining, I believe this is why you didnt collect your keys on Saturday? We are getting somewhere near a solution.

Brabus, what is your response, are things exactly the way he said they are?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NextHome(m): 11:58am On Oct 12, 2011
Good that my client has taken time to respond. I doubt he's taking all these information from the quote/budget I gave to him, except there's another document from the one we signed. I really dont like the way things are going but for learning purpose - let's start.

In my post, where I say if he comes again and say the wardrobe is 20 doors - it was like I'm a serial liar like I was called.

This is the document you all need to see. Then, tell me where 2 units of 2HP AC and 1.5HP AC got in.

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 12, 2011
ahonohai:

I forgot to even talk about the issue of the A/Cs

I was to have 2 Spilt Units and 2 Window Units.

He complained of rising costs and suggested an oscillator in the study - I obliged. . . I am still waiting for the oscillator

I asked him what brand of A/Cs he was supplying he said Panasonic.

He was to supply 2 2HP Units one for the bedroom and one for the living room but he supplied 1 [b]2HP and 1 1.5HP I told him I knew what he did but I let it slide.[/b]
I have been waiting for the window Unit since the first week of August. Finally this weekend he installed a piece of crap on the wall.

First off the installation work was awful and unsightly when compared to the quality of work in the house.

Secondly he supplied a Midea brand A/C. When I asked him why, he said Panasonic does not make window units.

Did it take him three months to discover this? If indeed it took him three months to discover it, shouldn't he have informed me before committing to another brand? I told him to remove it because that's not what he committed to supplying. To me that is dishonest and playing smart

I admit to typing the wrong details. What he was to supply was one unit of 1HP A/C and one unit of 2HP A/C but he supplied one unit of 1HP AC and one unit of 1.5HP A/C. Either way you look at it one of the A/Cs was below spec

Either way it's still the same thing.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 12, 2011
I don't have time to nit pick issues as this is not why we are here.

I called him a serial liar and I stand by it. He has lied to me to my face on several ocassions. Let's not even get to that. All I want is for him to finish the job he was contracted to do satisfactorily and leave my property.

We aren't even talking about my refund yet as that is a mutually exclusive situation. I'm not sure where the issue of 20 doors is coming from as I never complained about the quality of the wardrobes in either the rooms or the kitchen.

He should face the work at the site and stop galavanting all about Nairaland.

If he comes here to lay more untrue claims I will continue to provide evidence to the contrary.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Analytical(m): 2:20pm On Oct 12, 2011
Ahonohai, you make me feel you didn't read my posts. I expect you to leave the trivial and focus on the main issue which is how to get your project delivered. This is why some of us have been trying to mediate. I don't know either of you. It's not nice you just totally ignore the attempts at resolving the issues. I asked questions that you didn't answer; gave options and alternatives that you didn't respond to. How then do we get the problem solved and get you satisfied? Exchanging words is certainly not the way to go.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by AmAlone: 2:31pm On Oct 12, 2011
spyder880:

@ Am alone, don't worry about going to court, everybody is not the same. Ahanohai is a gentleman an I am sure there will be a peaceful solution to all these, but you can call the cops, first for that your dishonest bricklayer, the one you said was dishonest while doing your fence, I wonder why you didn't imprison him?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin Na wa o! Bros you won attack me again? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin
This one na indirect attacking oo!!!! See as you talking calmly to every other person. But e be like say
me get a special tone!!!! Abeg let go of anything wey you still dey carry for mind for me jorray!!! - [size=5pt]I dey make money here!!!![/size]

And as for the bricklayer, him don come back come settle him scores!!! And na him do the plastering of my house!!!!!
ppl no dey do me bad make them no regret!

Na my last direct statement be this!!!

The very simple lesson to learnt from this thread is: Never give 100% payment in-advance for anything you are not getting immediately!!!!
It is just like getting payed a 6months salary in advance!!!!(you know very well we won't take the job very seriously anymore).

Anyways, @ahonohai
There are somethings you just have to let go!!! the mistake you made was paying 100% in advance.
just collect your keys from brabus, finish up the remaining things left. And try to be at peace with brabus.
from the best of my knowledge, it will be near impossible to get back that 132k
so let it go!!!! With time you will forget every!!!!

@Brabus, I must have to say you didn't do well at all.
My advice is that next time try to buy all materials immediately
when you have the cash with you! Delay with cash can be pretty dangerous.
Not like you the bad guy, it just human!!!
But you need to be very much cautious when spending money
for a job you've not finished or others people money!!!!!!

Which ever way, becareful
Peace!!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by bisanjay: 3:04pm On Oct 12, 2011
@spyder888, Damain, Princeoxn, omobashua, etc,

i'm in dare need of suggestions, advice/confirmation on my project. i've started constructing the woodwork for my decking.  The iron bender/welder and the new bricklayer has just called to advised that my previous bricklayer have erred to have layed two set of blocks after lintel.The solutions according to the two technician are; for me to order the removal of a layer of block from the lintel or to deck without a beam- meaning that the deck will be on mere blocks. Both technicians advised against the second option (deck on mere block) based on safety reasons and the fact that the house will be far above the normal hieght of a story building. i need expert/experienced guys in the house Re: implication of decking on mere block-(avoiding beam). i'm inclined to the idea of removing a layer as it sounded logical or an accepted norm, but i'm unsure/unconvienced of why. my quesions here is: is it possible to deck (on mere block) withou compromising safety? i remember Princeoxn and others confirming at some point on this thread that they layed two block on the lintel before they deck their own house. would  the huse be two high to errect a beam after two blocks ?  God bless you all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (56) (Reply)

Call Us For Ur Granite(directly From The Quarry),sharpsand & Sandfilling / You Won't Believe The Babe I Saw In A Face Me I Face You House : / Cost Analysis Of Roofing My 3 Bedrooms Flat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.