Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) - Properties (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (149323 Views)

For Sale.....luxury Block Of 4flats @ Ikota Villa Lekki Before Vgc(pictures) / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu / Luxury Block Of 6 Nos 3 Bedroom Flat "TO LET" @ IKEJA Gra,lagos with pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (56) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Sagewood: 5:40am On Sep 19, 2011
@ Brabus/ Nexthome,

Based on some recent discussions in this thread, I will like to ask you these questions as
part of the learning curve for everyone, including the contractors and investors/ property owners.

Do you include the rate of inflation within a set period of time for your quotations?
How about time frames for a given quotation? For example, stating that the quotation is valid for 2-3 months
and if there is a delay, it may be adjusted.

I was thinking if many factors, including the above, are taken into consideration, it may help the contractor
avoid running into serious hitches and financial losses.
Just my 2 cents.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NL1960: 6:33am On Sep 19, 2011
Time frames might not even work in this our Naija and factoring in inflation might not even work in this our Naija. Prices can go up within minutes. When the sellers want to increase prices, they do not consider inflation rate. I normally wonder how contractors and builders are able to break even in an uncontrolled environment like us. My brother is presently handling my duplex in the village. When i started last year December, if i had given money to a contractor based on a quotation, by now, it is either the contractor is asking for a variation or he using inferior materials or he is trying to abandon the job. A bag of cement has increased from about N1,400 to about N2,500. Even labour has increased. Those that give out jobs to genuine contractors should understand with them. The Naija system can throw all calculations into the dustbin within days and once prices start rising, they hardly come down.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 7:22am On Sep 19, 2011
@ Sagewood, NL1960,
Very good point about the timeframes for quotations to be valid, this is supposed to be taken into consideration because as a project drags, the costs increase, we are supposed to factor duration into quotes.
On inflation, I have a thought, it will not be easy to give a prospective client a quote for N2500 for cement while at the present, cement sells for N1700 for instance. He will immediately throw your quote out owing to what he will term 'too much price' but we should at least increase the quote by about 10% overall, to give room for us to adjust to inflation. I also think such a clause should be included in the contractual agreement.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NextHome(m): 8:18am On Sep 19, 2011
I think the best build route in Nigeria is for potential home owners to supply all the building materials and hire local tradespeople on a direct labour basis to help with the remaining work.

Naturally, there's no better way to know whether cost overrun is due to the greed of contractor or flagrant disregard of the original budget than to DIY. I remember I had to pay over 40% extra while trying to pick up iron bars for my balcony rails.

Why? I had a budget and great taste which is unrealistic expectation of what can be achieved with my budget.

________
@Sagewood, NL1026 and other contributors.

Thanks for your advice. Points well noted.
I promise not to let you down on this.

Off to site!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:00am On Sep 19, 2011
^^^ may God be with you.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by bisanjay: 12:12pm On Sep 19, 2011
@Spyder888, PRINCE OXN, Omobashua1,

I like to attached scan copy of a quotation for your scruitny but don't know how, would someone explain pls.
regarding my project; i'm disappointingly back on the drawing board, as the guy who got the jobs is now asking for cost review realising he's not buying materials for the project. He wanted additional N70,000-(for wood work and supervision). he confess to 'under-quoting'-( in some areas), and which he said he intended to offset in other areas/stage of the project. To me this is a serious confession, i have no idea of the 'other areas' he's refering to. This is what some naija workmen is up to, and why people don't trust our workmen/contractors. i now have to scruitnised all aspects of his quotes for likely cost inflation !!!!. i've suspended action with him to talk to you guys and other workmen in my area. what is the price of cement now, my uncle was able to have Buham cement for 1650. who knows how relaible this is in compare to Dangote, and any reason for price differences; apart from distance/ transpotatin. could dangote cement be consider superior to Burhan

God bless you all,
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nerd1105: 1:27pm On Sep 19, 2011
You can now build affordable houses in Nigeria using the Ecobeam Building System from Ecobuild Nigeria. Please see indicative prices below:

1 Bedroom bungalow - N1.0 million
2 Bedroom bungalow - N1.95 million
3 Bedroom bungalow - N2.7 million

For further details

Tel: 018766261, 017363757
email: nigeria@ecobuildnigeria.com
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by princeonx: 2:32pm On Sep 19, 2011
bisanjay:

@Spyder888, PRINCE OXN, Omobashua1,

I like to attached scan copy of a quotation for your scruitny but don't know how, would someone explain pls.
regarding my project; i'm disappointingly back on the drawing board, as the guy who got the jobs is now asking for cost review realising he's not buying materials for the project. He wanted additional N70,000-(for wood work and supervision). he confess to 'under-quoting'-( in some areas), and which he said he intended to offset in other areas/stage of the project. To me this is a serious confession, i have no idea of the 'other areas' he's refering to. This is what some naija workmen is up to, and why people don't trust our workmen/contractors. i now have to scruitnised all aspects of his quotes for likely cost inflation !!!!. i've suspended action with him to talk to you guys and other workmen in my area. what is the price of cement now, my uncle was able to have Buham cement for 1650. who knows how relaible this is in compare to Dangote, and any reason for price differences; apart from distance/ transpotatin. could dangote cement be consider superior to Burhan

God bless you all,
My guy with the way you're going about this decking project is kind of scary with your workmen! I don't know your price quote yet but one thing I can tell you is that too much information is as dangerous as too little. Whatever price your decking cost you will NEVER be the same with anybody anywhere even if you two are building the same house with the same plan just next door. Secondly, make sure you have or budget for extra material and cash! better have it and don't need it than need it and don't have it! Once they start the rod work, if you don't have enough to complete it and don't have the cash at hand, they might steal some from the once you bought already before you buy the once to complete it! As per cement, I found out that Dangote is actually not the best but the fasted to dry! so I will recommend it for your decking work. Other cement are equally good if enough is used but last twice or more the time frame to dry compare to Dangote (don't ask me why is that cux I don't know). Don't forget to check the weather too! good luck!!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 19, 2011
Nerd1105:

You can now build affordable houses in Nigeria using the Ecobeam Building System from Ecobuild Nigeria. Please see indicative prices below:

1 Bedroom bungalow - N1.0 million
2 Bedroom bungalow - N1.95 million
3 Bedroom bungalow - N2.7 million

For further details

Tel: 018766261, 017363757
email: nigeria@ecobuildnigeria.com
I suggest you start a new thread and explain the product properly there, if there are projects being built with this product, please put int there as it will enlighten us more. I have been to your website but really can't grab the idea or the building procedure.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by princeonx: 9:16pm On Sep 19, 2011
@bisanjay:
One more thing, I think its better you just buy your material yourself and simply negotiate for labour! They write down the materials you need for the decking and the quantity they think will be enough. Plan/budget for at least extra half or at minimum extra quarter just in-case. The rod job will be completely done before decking so you should be good on that as in quantity but things like gravel, cement, and sand you really need to have extra because once they start mixing and pouring the decking no going back and you know its a day job.
The guy that did my protectors came up with that crap of buying materials himself! I told him its either he want the job or not. He wanted us to negotiate prices per windows and the negative thing about that is that they will use left over rods/pipes for your job and most times the joining (join-join) will be way too much.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by princeonx: 3:03pm On Sep 23, 2011
@Nexthome: what's the status of things with your client?

@bisanjay: what's the latest news on your own side?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 3:17pm On Sep 23, 2011
How things just changed . . . . So what happened to all the projects?
How come no more updates happening here on the projects?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NextHome(m): 3:33pm On Sep 23, 2011
@Prince_onx,

Work still in progress. Just asked for additional 1 week extension from my client as we are dealing with cost overrun right now.

What's left to be done at the site is just a day job, but fund has been the the cause of the delay as we have exhausted all funds on revisions.

Work will resume in earnest at the site on Monday.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by princeonx: 2:02am On Sep 24, 2011
^^
Good to hear that!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by IDERAWOLE(m): 1:29pm On Sep 24, 2011
1.Good half-plot of land off LOTTO ROAD beside NNPC mega-station, off Lagos-Ibadan Expressway at unbelievable price.

2. 50% completion stage of 2-bedroom bungalow on a half-plot of land; off LOTTO ROAD beside NNPC mega-station, off Lagos-Ibadan Expressway at give away price.

Any interest in either or both should call/text 08063423482.

The offer may be gone soon if you dont act now.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NextHome(m): 6:21am On Sep 28, 2011
LSPDC Reno:

Unsightly plumb work fixed.
Tiles replaced.
Wall repainted.
Kitchen pink turned red.

Pending work
- Installation of 4 bulbs.
- Installation of 3 water heater switch
- Complete installation of the wardrobe/kitchen cabinet.
- Installation of the kitchen/toilet doors.
- Painting of the entrance gate (black)
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by DCGUY: 9:31pm On Sep 29, 2011
@all, Pls guys, does any one know how much a concreate mixer cost to rent per day? I also need a contact for any good carpenter. Location is Lekki Ajah, Lagos
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by toluxa1(m): 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2011
@ahonohai. I went through some post of yours last year and I want to confirm if you have an answer to the issue raised here:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-771948.0.html
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by DCGUY: 12:34am On Oct 03, 2011
A new thread that might be helpful to all: Building Engineers Required (not Builders Or Companies) To Put Up Structures
« on: September 29, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 04, 2011
toluxa1:

@ahonohai. I went through some post of yours last year and I want to confirm if you have an answer to the issue raised here:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-771948.0.html

I've seen the thread. My reply is there.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by acetee: 12:38am On Oct 05, 2011
@NextHome, Please How much will it cost to erect this kind of building? Thank you!

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by greenlilly(m): 8:33am On Oct 06, 2011
PLS BRABUS ET AL. I NEED A HOUSE PLAN ( A DUPLEX TO BE PRECISE) THAT CAN FIT INTO A 100FT BY 50FT LAND . I WILL APPRECIATE IT IF THE GROUND FLOOR HAS A VISITOR LOUNGE WITH TOILET, MAIN LOUNGE,LAUNDRY, DINNIG, KITCHEN, VISITOR ROOM,GYM, AND A STUDY . THE UPPER FLOOR SHOULD HAVE 3 ROOMS PLUS A MASTER BEDROOM ALL ENSUITE,AND A SMALL FAMILY LOUNGE.LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY .THANK YOU
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2011
NextHome:

I accept responsibility for all the allegation. Please just give me till end of next week to hand over.

@The House, I have no explanation but pictures do not lie. Please kindly help plead with my client to grant the extension and list all issues here so that we can fix them all.

The extension was granted as requested

NextHome:

@Prince_onx,

Work still in progress. Just asked for additional 1 week extension from my client as we are dealing with cost overrun right now.

What's left to be done at the site is just a day job, but fund has been the the cause of the delay as we have exhausted all funds on revisions.

Work will resume in earnest at the site on Monday.

He was given as much time as he needed

NextHome:

The lower part of the kitchen will be changed to gray colour tomorrow sir.

The AC and oscillator will be delivered before Friday next week.

Not delivered yet

NextHome:

LSPDC Renovation Update:

Kitchen now has a door. Fittings and installation to be completed during the week. The old security door returned to the site by the welder.

Work to resume at the site tomorrow.

Status unknown
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 06, 2011
I don't know what else to say.

Till date the house has not been delivered.

Brabus says he has run out of money, money that he quoted and was paid in full without questioning his rates and quotes.

What should I do now?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Analytical(m): 2:37pm On Oct 06, 2011
Ahonohai, can you list and cost what else remains for this house to be delivered?  According to Brabus, the list is:

NextHome:

LSPDC Reno:

Pending work
- Installation of 4 bulbs.
- Installation of 3 water heater switch
- Complete installation of the wardrobe/kitchen cabinet.
- Installation of the kitchen/toilet doors.
- Painting of the entrance gate (black)

If the cost is not too much (looks like what less than N100k will handle according to his list) maybe you should count your loss, fix those things using someone else and take possession of your house.  The case is dragging too long and it's obvious there may not be any amicable solution to it.  Taking it up legally will further incur expenses on your part and further waste your time as well.  You once said you have items awaiting delivery that may still increase the longer you wait.  We win some and lose some.

And to Brabus, you inspired so many people when you started your thread and I am not so sure right now.  This is bad reputation for your business coming from a client.  If I were you, I would have looked for money elsewhere to deliver this project even at a loss, if only for the sake of reputation and integrity.  Imagine how many prospective clients you would have gained as a result.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 3:29pm On Oct 06, 2011
It is not easy o! On both sides of the transaction, I repeat, it is not easy at all!! To do business and make a loss, is not as easy as it sounds.

I know sometimes we underquote, not because we want to mislead but because what we know to be price A may turn out to be higher when we get to the market. I have seen plenty in a short time, and my conclusion is that it is not easy at all. The Nigerian business environment is a challenging one, and too many unplanned events crop up to frustrate contractors. I urge Ahanohai to ask for a private meeting, ask for what is the challenge and see how to surmount it. I don't think any good will come out of dragging this issue in the public, I beg for an indoor settlement. I have learnt something from this, and I wish it ends this week so we can all move along.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Analytical(m): 4:01pm On Oct 06, 2011
The reason I said so is that this project was to be for 2 weeks.  The cost was fully paid (more than N2m if I remember).  Variation was applied and delivery date shifted severally.  Several weeks after (getting to months now), there is still a deadlock and the project undelivered.  Client has said he won't go to the site again until delivered and Brabus said he has run out of money.  What then is the way forward?  Some of us were silently looking forward to the completion of the project.

Going by what was listed by Brabus, 4 bulbs, 3 switches, painting of gate, shouldn't be the reason for the delay.  The wardrobe/kitchen cabinet was started, just to complete it.  The only thing I see on the list that should cost some money are the kitchen/ toilet doors (if they are yet to be bought).  I guess that should be 3 of them.  Now, having in mind the client already committed so much to the project and seeing things are like this already, Brabus should communicate with his client and look for a way to complete the job, then plead for his client to help offset some of the loss- after completion, not before!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 4:52pm On Oct 06, 2011
@ analytical, good points but I have to ask you a question, supposing the contractor does not have any money left with him, what is the best way forward, delay the project further or beg ahanohai to fund the balance and move in, thereafter there ccan be some settlement.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 06, 2011
Analytical:

Ahonohai, can you list and cost what else remains for this house to be delivered? According to Brabus, the list is:

If the cost is not too much (looks like what less than N100k will handle according to his list) maybe you should count your loss, fix those things using someone else and take possession of your house. The case is dragging too long and it's obvious there may not be any amicable solution to it. Taking it up legally will further incur expenses on your part and further waste your time as well. You once said you have items awaiting delivery that may still increase the longer you wait. We win some and lose some.

And to Brabus, you inspired so many people when you started your thread and I am not so sure right now. This is bad reputation for your business coming from a client. If I were you, I would have looked for money elsewhere to deliver this project even at a loss, if only for the sake of reputation and integrity. Imagine how many prospective clients you would have gained as a result.

The outstanding items are more than what you have listed as the partitioning for the bathrooms is also yet to be done among others.

He also owes me at least =N=110,000 in refund for the botched flooring job not including the Oscillator and Airconditioner he is yet to supply.

I don't understand why I will be asked to cut my losses.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 06, 2011
spyder880:

It is not easy o! On both sides of the transaction, I repeat, it is not easy at all!! To do business and make a loss, is not as easy as it sounds.

I know sometimes we underquote, not because we want to mislead but because what we know to be price A may turn out to be higher when we get to the market. I have seen plenty in a short time, and my conclusion is that it is not easy at all. The Nigerian business environment is a challenging one, and too many unplanned events crop up to frustrate contractors. I urge Ahanohai to ask for a private meeting, ask for what is the challenge and see how to surmount it. I don't think any good will come out of dragging this issue in the public, I beg for an indoor settlement. I have learnt something from this, and I wish it ends this week so we can all move along.

Even if he underquoted, you will have known the areas where there was a shortfall immediately.

He was paid his advance and one week after said there was a variation of =N=115,000. I obliged immediately and then paid him his balance. A wise project manager would have bought all materials immediately as the cash was on ground. I'm curious as to how all the funds were spent excluding his fee. I have not recieved any breakdown to date even though I never expected one.

As per private meeting, he was supposed to meet with me on Saturday morning but he was no where to be found. I ended up calling him on Monday and he gave me excuses upon excuses. He could have simply called me up on Saturday afternoon and said he wouldn't be able to meet up. Where is the integrity?

My issue is that I paid in FULL once I got the quote in trust yet all the funds were squandered.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NL1960: 5:04pm On Oct 06, 2011
@spyder880, I support your point that Brabus should do an indoor settlement with his client. Brabus should come clean with Ahonohai (indoor and not public) and tell him his present challenges (funds, materials etc) and then arrived at a way forward. The Nigerian system has a way of throwing quotes overboard. Most times, workers can disappoint. When i wanted to do my decking, everything was set but the workers went missing and went to somebody else that had a deeper pocket that was ready to pay more to have his done. So i missed the planned target which then made the decking aspect to spill over and it was at this point that the price of cement went over the roof.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (56) (Reply)

Call Us For Ur Granite(directly From The Quarry),sharpsand & Sandfilling / You Won't Believe The Babe I Saw In A Face Me I Face You House : / Cost Analysis Of Roofing My 3 Bedrooms Flat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.