Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? (4926 Views)

Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? / How Do You Forgive People Who Don't Apologise? / Forgive And Be Forgiven. But Can You Forgive Adam and Eve? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by MadamExcellency: 7:26am On Nov 28, 2021
This is a serious question requiring honest and soul serching answers.

Matthew 6:15 ESV
but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your heavenly Father forgive your trespasses.

Matthew 18:15 CSB
"If your brother sins against you, go tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won your brother.

3 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Vwoman200: 7:35am On Nov 28, 2021
I forgive immediately but keep the lessons in mind. I don't hold grudges.
Life is very fragile, no need to carry burdens of unforgiveness.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by hopefulLandlord: 7:36am On Nov 28, 2021
I forgive easily but I never forget unless my brain forgets it. actively trying to forget for me results in me achieving the opposite. I would keep remembering that I'm trying to forget which means I'm not forgetting. these days I let nature take its course about the forgetting part while I handle the forgiving part.

5 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:38am On Nov 28, 2021
I would like to ask people as the Op where they get this idea of "forget" from.

If it's from the Bible, they should just give a verse, because I have never seen any in the Bible. All I see is forgive, but it seems men are inclined to complicate things for themselves.

God says man should forgive, man adds forget to what God says making things even more difficult for himself.

God never said anyone should forget but forgive, because it may be impossible to forget what someone did, but to forgive is always possible.

For instance, how can Jesus forget what men did to Him which He was on Earth, when He has the scars to always remind Him?

He has forgiven all those who did that to Him, and He proved it by praying to the Father to also forgive them.

But the fact remains that even though He's truly forgiven them, it's impossible for Him to forget.

So don't worry about the forgetting part which is man-made, but just sincerely forgive men their trespasses against you, as God commanded us to do, and it shall be well with you.

God bless.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by doggedfighter(f): 7:39am On Nov 28, 2021
Forgetting part isn't up to me as time takes

care of that but the forgiving aspect , I forgive and move on.

Certain things hurt deeply though.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Magnoliaa(f): 8:12am On Nov 28, 2021
I don't forgive. Ever.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by SaintBishop: 8:18am On Nov 28, 2021
Magnoliaa:
I don't forgive. Ever.
Nawa ooo,are you that soulless? Lol.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Truvelisback(m): 8:28am On Nov 28, 2021
doggedfighter:
Forgetting part isn't up to me as time takes

care of that but the forgiving aspect , I forgive and move on.

Certain things hurt deeply though.

Some pains or hurt can not be easily forgotten. Even though u may have forgiven the fellow but it will be very difficult for u to forget how he or she made u feel. Yes, whenever u see the person, the flashback keeps coming. In u, u will become so wrath again. After sometime, ur wrath cools down again. That's why we should be very careful on how we hurt people. They may forget what u did to them, but will never 4get how u made them feel.

6 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by jmoore(m): 8:29am On Nov 28, 2021
Did the bible talk about forgetting? No one forgets. Abi, you wan format your brain?
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by lomprico(m): 9:48am On Nov 28, 2021
All the time.

there is nothing like peace of mind.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Tealover(f): 9:48am On Nov 28, 2021
They are two different things.. It's easier to forgive but then it's not advisable to forget so that you can be well guided next time
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by NwaAmaikpe: 9:48am On Nov 28, 2021
shocked

Never.
If I forgive all wrongs, it means I am insane since I have lost the ability to recognize right and wrong.

If I forget everything, then my brain will be just as useless as that of Olu Jacobs.

I forgive when it is not worth being upset about but just like Constantin Demiris, I never forgive an injury, neither do I forget a favor.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Yungmil: 9:48am On Nov 28, 2021
Never?

Those that offended me 10 yrs ago

I still have a revenge plan for them.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by PandoraObi: 9:48am On Nov 28, 2021
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by cl0r0x: 9:48am On Nov 28, 2021
Forgiveness is a sin cool
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by ImoleNaija: 9:49am On Nov 28, 2021
I hardly take offence, so I have no one to forgive, let alone forget.

Keeping grudge/offence torments or disturbs the peace of mind...

And, nothing is worth my peace of mind!

3 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by VOsimhen144(m): 9:49am On Nov 28, 2021
We must learn to forgive at all time.

As for me oo, na nyash wey go kill me I dey follow now.

My God is awesome, he created both small and Big nyash.

Infact, In the book of Gen 1:31 says it all...."And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good"

Indeed my God is Great and BIG.

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by greenie77: 9:49am On Nov 28, 2021
Can the mind forget? I believe forgiveness makes us remember the hurt in a different way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by bigcee(m): 9:50am On Nov 28, 2021
I forgive but I don't forget. I am just waiting for you to f**k up again and I will just ghost you like you never exist. I hate rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by MadamExcellency: 9:50am On Nov 28, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
I would like to ask people as the Op where they get this idea of "forget" from.

If it's from the Bible, they should just give a verse, because I have never seen any in the Bible. All I see is forgive, but it seems men are inclined to complicate things for themselves.

God says man should forgive, man adds forget to what God says making things even more difficult for himself.

God never said anyone should forget but forgive, because it may be impossible to forget what someone did, but to forgive is always possible.

For instance, how can Jesus forget what men did to Him which He was on Earth, when He has the scars to always remind Him?

He has forgiven all those who did that to Him, and He proved it by praying to the Father to also forgive them.

But the fact remains that even though He's truly forgiven them, it's impossible for Him to forget.

So don't worry about the forgetting part which is man-made, but just sincerely forgive men their trespasses against you, as God commanded us to do, and it shall be well with you.

God bless.

To forgive here means to rescind all intended or ongoing judgment, punishment and retribution against the person of the offender not the sin.

To forget in this contest means never counting the offense in any future decision as it regards the person of the offender. It also means erasing the malice, grudge and antagonism the offense created.

Someone can claim to refrain from punishing an offender because of pleads but holds the malice, grudge and antagonism the offense created perpetually. This is against the doctrine of forgiveness.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by izubext007: 9:50am On Nov 28, 2021
To forgive is by divine mandate , but to for getis highly difficult.
Wen u forgive a person is fine but wen u see that person u remember what he or she did to you
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Valwezzy: 9:50am On Nov 28, 2021
To forgive is normal...I do that easily.
But nobody dead or alive can boast of forgetting, even Jesus made us know that he never forgets in Mathews 25:43...

"I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me".

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by gigabyte13: 9:52am On Nov 28, 2021
There is nothing like forgive and forget anywhere in the bible please...
Forgiveness is necessary for peace to reign.

Person keeee your parents come dey expect you to forget.... No be juju be that...
I don follow my pastor and him wife argue this matter die.
I asked them to show me , where forgive and forget is written in the bible...

3 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by CaptainFM1: 9:53am On Nov 28, 2021
Unless someone develops Amnesia...remove the "forget" part.

Forgive alone is enough!

Also, we need to remember in other not to fall into that "position" again.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by TinubuGoQuench(f): 9:53am On Nov 28, 2021
I won't forgive evil Afonja skull miners
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by hollah123: 9:54am On Nov 28, 2021
To forgive is easy but to forget dey hard me,anytime I see that person na to dey remember d shit n it will make me give him 1000 yards distance
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by MadamExcellency: 9:54am On Nov 28, 2021
CaptainFM1:
Unless someone develops Amnesia...remove the "forget" part.

Forgive alone is enough!

Also, we need to remember in other not to fall into that "position" again.

2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by SenecaTheYonger: 9:55am On Nov 28, 2021
How do you even forget without having dementia? I think the word “forget” might not mean the literal meaning maybe figuratively. Like never bring it up again

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by MadamExcellency: 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
gigabyte13:
There is nothing like forgive and forget anywhere in the bible please...
Forgiveness is necessary for peace to reign.

Person keeee your parents come dey expect you to forget.... No be juju be that...
I don follow my pastor and him wife argue this matter die.
I asked them to show me , where forgive and forget is written in the bible...

We are talking about the doctrine of forgiveness and the purpose.

To forgive here means to rescind all intended or ongoing judgment, punishment and retribution against the person of the offender not the sin.

To forget in this contest means never counting the offense in any future decision as it regards the person of the offender. It also means erasing the malice, grudge and antagonism the offense created.

Someone can claim to refrain from punishing an offender because of pleads but holds the malice, grudge and antagonism the offense created perpetually. This is against the doctrine of forgiveness.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by CaptainFM1: 10:02am On Nov 28, 2021
MadamExcellency:

2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Sorry, how about deity worshippers?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Did Adam Go When He Died ? / Tb Joshua's Son Wiseman Daniel Release Prophecies For Nations / Winners Chapel, TREM, RCCG & Rhema, In Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran & Iraq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.