Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,544 members, 7,823,386 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? (4948 Views)

Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? / How Do You Forgive People Who Don't Apologise? / Forgive And Be Forgiven. But Can You Forgive Adam and Eve? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Gate050: 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2021
MadamExcellency:
This is a serious question requiring honest and soul serching answers.

Matthew 6:15 ESV
but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your heavenly Father forgive your trespasses.

Matthew 18:15 CSB
"If your brother sins against you, go tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won your brother.
Why should one forgive when we all know doing that is a SIN
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Mrklemo(m): 12:42pm On Nov 28, 2021
Forgiveness is a sin.. Naso some of my friends dey talk am.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Harrykn: 12:47pm On Nov 28, 2021
Na bad thing wey person do you Dey stay for head. I go forget the good ones like women ASAP
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by EHoudini: 12:49pm On Nov 28, 2021
Forgiveness is the preserved rightof God alone. Even He does not forgive the sinner until he comes to repentance. Then He would graciously forgive.

For me, an eye for an eye; is good enough.

It's arrogance of man that makes he play God with the idea of forgiveness. Whack the offender if you must or wait for the appropriate time and opportunity to exact your maximum payback.

When one offends you and you do nothing; he would do it again.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by udemzyudex(m): 1:24pm On Nov 28, 2021
Forgive and forget do not go together abeg.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by leobergy(m): 1:25pm On Nov 28, 2021
Most people that preach this sermon have never been hurt so bad that they regret their existence. It’s good to forgive and it’s devine to forget but pray that you never taste the wrath of evil men..you go know say to say you forgive dey easy for mouth but to forget na the problem.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by leobergy(m): 1:29pm On Nov 28, 2021
cayorday89:
It's a dicey situation, I don't forgive because I don't see it as you offending me, I see it as a premeditated action taken by you, and if you do it once and I tell you, I expect you to adjust but if you don't and you do it repeatedly I expect you to take whatever consequences comes your way with your full chest and don't come seeking forgiveness which I don't have to offer while I also try to avoid you with every means possible. And if it does not come with consequences your luck, but forgetting depends on how it affects me both in the long term and short term, but one thing is certain each time I see you, a flashback occurs and I try to be extra careful not to allow a repeat or not entirely free with the person.

Thanks for this
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by arantess: 1:57pm On Nov 28, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
I would like to ask people as the Op where they get this idea of "forget" from.

If it's from the Bible, they should just give a verse, because I have never seen any in the Bible. All I see is forgive, but it seems men are inclined to complicate things for themselves.

God says man should forgive, man adds forget to what God says making things even more difficult for himself.

God never said anyone should forget but forgive, because it may be impossible to forget what someone did, but to forgive is always possible.

For instance, how can Jesus forget what men did to Him which He was on Earth, when He has the scars to always remind Him?

He has forgiven all those who did that to Him, and He proved it by praying to the Father to also forgive them.

But the fact remains that even though He's truly forgiven them, it's impossible for Him to forget.

So don't worry about the forgetting part which is man-made, but just sincerely forgive men their trespasses against you, as God commanded us to do, and it shall be well with you.

God bless.
God bless bro
Truth is even God cannot forget our sins as long as we keep on sinning
He forgives us and wipes our sins clean and starts counting afresh
The moment we go back to sin, all the old things will be brought up again
Forgiveness is what we should focus on, but man will be man

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by PapaZeus(m): 2:55pm On Nov 28, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Never.
If I forgive all wrongs, it means I am insane since I have lost the ability to recognize right and wrong.

If I forget everything, then my brain will be just as useless as that of Olu Jacobs.

I forgive when it is not worth being upset about but just like Constantin Demiris, I never forgive an injury, neither do I forget a favor.
So u read sidney sheldon books too
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by smile4kenn(m): 3:10pm On Nov 28, 2021
Vwoman200:
I forgive immediately but keep the lessons in mind. I don't hold grudges.
Life is very fragile, no need to carry burdens of unforgiveness.

Yes it is impossible to forget

https://gist.am/question/how-often-do-you-forgive-and-forget
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Danjikanbauchi: 3:29pm On Nov 28, 2021
If you offend me withing seconds or few minutes it's off my mind and I move on. Never to remember.

But people think I don't get angry because I forgive easily.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by doggedfighter(f): 3:38pm On Nov 28, 2021
Truvelisback:
Some pains or hurt can not be easily forgotten. Even though u may have forgiven the fellow but it will be very difficult for u to forget how he or she made u feel. Yes, whenever u see the person, the flashback keeps coming. In u, u will become so wrath again. After sometime, ur wrath cools down again. That's why we should be very careful on how we hurt people. They may forget what u did to them, but will never 4get how u made them feel.

Truvelisback, thanks for capturing my thoughts. I couldn't have put it any better.

How's your day going, my deari one? cheesy
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Goldbw122(m): 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2021
Forgive but be careful because History does not forget- that is from me.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by 1F30M4(f): 3:55pm On Nov 28, 2021
It's not easy to forgive, neither is it to forget. I for one, has so much anxiety to deal with so I try not to add more baggage to it. When I think deeply about it and maybe cry me a river, I let it go so I can forge ahead. Life goes on.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by KNOWMORE56: 4:18pm On Nov 28, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
I would like to ask people as the Op where they get this idea of "forget" from.

If it's from the Bible, they should just give a verse, because I have never seen any in the Bible. All I see is forgive, but it seems men are inclined to complicate things for themselves.

God says man should forgive, man adds forget to what God says making things even more difficult for himself.
God never said anyone should forget but forgive, because it may be impossible to forget what someone did, but to forgive is always possible.
For instance, how can Jesus forget what men did to Him which He was on Earth, when He has the scars to always remind Him?
He has forgiven all those who did that to Him, and He proved it by praying to the Father to also forgive them.

But the fact remains that even though He's truly forgiven them, it's impossible for Him to forget.

So don't worry about the forgetting part which is man-made, but just sincerely forgive men their trespasses against you, as God commanded us to do, and it shall be well with you.
God bless.

"...But the fact remains that even though He's truly forgiven them, it's impossible for Him to forget..."

Well, I think what I understand by FORGIVE AND FORGET is that you don't make reference to the wrong done to you by the time the same person might have done you another wrong at another time.

Wrong doer: please forgive me...
You: the other day this was what you did, I forgave you. Today you've done another one, let me tell you: if you know how to replace and renew this things, just do that without wasting time!

Remembering it will make it difficult for you to forgive the person especially when he wrong you severally...

Simply put: don't keep records of wrongs done to you either in your heart or in a book!

God bless you!

*. Matthew 18:21 "KJV:Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
KJV:Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Truvelisback(m): 5:06pm On Nov 28, 2021
doggedfighter:

Truvelisback, thanks for capturing my thoughts. I couldn't have put it any better.

How's your day going, my deari one? cheesy
The pleasure is all mine. My dear, my day is going fine. And urs?
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by jesusjnr2020(m): 5:16pm On Nov 28, 2021
KNOWMORE56:

"...But the fact remains that even though He's truly forgiven them, it's impossible for Him to forget..."

Well, I think what I understand by FORGIVE AND FORGET is that you don't make reference to the wrong done to you by the time the same person might have done you another wrong at another time.

Wrong doer: please forgive me...
You: the other day this was what you did, I forgave you. Today you've done another one, let me tell you: if you know how to replace and renew this things, just do that without wasting time!

Remembering it will make it difficult for you to forgive the person especially when he wrong you severally...

Simply put: don't keep records of wrongs done to you either in your heart or in a book!

God bless you!

*. Matthew 18:21 "KJV:Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
KJV:Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."
Thanks but i believe that true forgiveness should take care of the forgetting aspect, hence is unwarranted, except the person has not truly forgiven the person that tresspassed against him.

Jesus severally talked about the importance of forgiveness, but never for once mentioned "forget" in this regard, I believe because it wasn't needed if someone truly forgave others.

The reason I'm saying that is because this forget aspect can be really misleading and complicate things, as it could make someone think he has not forgiven because he can't forget what the person did to him, and that's very wrong if the person has really forgiven, because he doesn't have to forget.

I gave the instance of Jesus to prove this point. I mean a pretty lady got hit by a drunk driver and she got burnt beyond recognition but still managed to survive, so how can forget when the mirror always reminds her?

The truth is that she can never forget even if she sincerely forgives the person that did that to her.

God bless.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Hkff: 6:22pm On Nov 28, 2021
I won’t forget
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by razzydoo(m): 6:33pm On Nov 28, 2021
I forgive and I forget, baba God know the rest wink.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by bepositive11: 11:00pm On Nov 28, 2021
Magnoliaa:
I don't forgive. Ever.

Why? You're only hurting yourself right?
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by ebullient19(f): 6:42am On Nov 29, 2021
I forgive a lot
No time to hold grudges
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by benjanny(m): 7:55am On Nov 29, 2021
I Find It Very Difficult To Forgive People Who Hurt Me Without Showing Any Sign Of Remorse.

And I Have Actually Understand That Forgiveness Is Not Lost Lost Of Memory
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Pfizzzy(m): 8:02am On Nov 29, 2021
I don't care about anyone's attitude or utterance to me anymore. The world is a wicked place, even family sef nor join.
Anybody wey Bleep me up na im matta be that, I simply don't care anymore. I can't forgive nor forget except God gives me the ability to.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Pfizzzy(m): 8:03am On Nov 29, 2021
ebullient19:
I forgive a lot
No time to hold grudges

Life must be sweet being you grin

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Sleekfingers: 5:29pm On Nov 29, 2021
MadamExcellency:
This is a serious question requiring honest and soul serching answers.

Matthew 6:15 ESV
but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your heavenly Father forgive your trespasses.

Matthew 18:15 CSB
"If your brother sins against you, go tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won your brother.

I don't forgive.....you must pay for your sins....

The same way una abrahamic God no dey forgive

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pls Take Note / List Of Sins That Will Lead You To Hell / SERMON JOTTERS: The Roaring Lion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.