Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? (4925 Views)

Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? / How Do You Forgive People Who Don't Apologise? / Forgive And Be Forgiven. But Can You Forgive Adam and Eve? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by martolux(m): 10:02am On Nov 28, 2021
Bb
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by hitsugaya: 10:11am On Nov 28, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Never.
If I forgive all wrongs, it means I am insane since I have lost the ability to recognize right and wrong.

If I forget everything, then my brain will be just as useless as that of Olu Jacobs.

I forgive when it is not worth being upset about but just like Constantin Demiris, I never forgive an injury, neither do I forget a favor.
finally someone that is not a hypocrite cry
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by femi4: 10:13am On Nov 28, 2021
MadamExcellency:
This is a serious question requiring honest and soul serching answers.

Matthew 6:15 ESV
but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your heavenly Father forgive your trespasses.

Matthew 18:15 CSB
"If your brother sins against you, go tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won your brother.
70*7 times

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Trendy05(f): 10:14am On Nov 28, 2021
Whenever there is an offense.

Life is too short to be carrying offences around.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by femi4: 10:14am On Nov 28, 2021
hitsugaya:
finally someone that is not a hypocrite cry
That's someone that lacks spiritual knowledge
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by MadamExcellency: 10:15am On Nov 28, 2021
CaptainFM1:

Sorry, how about deity worshippers?

Romans 2:14-15 KJV
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: [15] Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one anotherwink

They have conscience and natural laws.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by chaseblack(m): 10:23am On Nov 28, 2021
Magnoliaa:
I don't forgive. Ever.

Let's assume you aren't one of those who believe they are going to heaven.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by CaptainFM1: 10:24am On Nov 28, 2021
MadamExcellency:

Romans 2:14-15 KJV
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: [15] Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one anotherwink

They have conscience and natural laws.

The last sentence is the only thing that makes sense.

I still don't understand how we Africans just believe some foreign religions are superior to ours.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by BarrElChapo(m): 10:25am On Nov 28, 2021
This is something I've got to work on forgetting cos even after several years it still remains fresh in my heart.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by DUNDEEMASTER(m): 10:26am On Nov 28, 2021
TinubuGoQuench:
I won't forgive evil Afonja skull miners
[center][/center] grin grin grin
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by MadamExcellency: 10:30am On Nov 28, 2021
TinubuGoQuench:
I won't forgive evil Afonja skull miners

You are punishing yourself.

No total freedom (opposite of bondage) without genuine forgiveness.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by lenghtinny(m): 10:31am On Nov 28, 2021
ImoleNaija:
I hardly take offence, so I have no one to forgive, let alone forget.

Keeping grudge/offence torments or disturbs the peace of mind...

And, nothing is worth my peace of mind!
Dem never do you strong thing before angry
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by MrNipplesLover(m): 10:46am On Nov 28, 2021
Thank you, Almighty Father...

❤❤❤❤
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by lonelydora: 10:48am On Nov 28, 2021
MadamExcellency:

but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your heavenly Father forgive your trespasses.

"If your brother sins against you, go tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won your brother.

I forgive but I don't forget
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 10:50am On Nov 28, 2021
hopefulLandlord:
I forgive easily but I never forget unless my brain forgets it. actively trying to forget for me results in me achieving the opposite. I would keep remembering that I'm trying to forget which means I'm not forgetting. these days I let nature take its course about the forgetting part while I handle the forgiving part.
Exactly, brother.
You can forgive, but never forget how the person made you feel,and the lessons learnt.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by MadamExcellency: 10:53am On Nov 28, 2021
lonelydora:

I forgive but I don't forget

That forgiveness is questionable. Because it seems reversible.

True forgiveness is irreversible hence the solemn duty to forget.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by coolh3ad(m): 11:06am On Nov 28, 2021
We forgive. We don't forget.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Ginomel(m): 11:11am On Nov 28, 2021
MadamExcellency:

We are talking about the doctrine of forgiveness and the purpose.

To forgive here means to rescind all intended or ongoing judgment, punishment and retribution against the person of the offender not the sin.

To forget in this contest means never counting the offense in any future decision as it regards the person of the offender. It also means erasing the malice, grudge and antagonism the offense created.

Someone can claim to refrain from punishing an offender because of pleads but holds the malice, grudge and antagonism the offense created perpetually. This is against the doctrine of forgiveness.

Someone was caught while putting cyanide(poison) in your drink.You forgave him after so much pleading.

Will you allow him to have access to your drink?

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Davidolu2: 11:11am On Nov 28, 2021
Forgiving can be easy at times but forgetting have always been the hardest part.
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by cayorday89(m): 11:13am On Nov 28, 2021
It's a dicey situation, I don't forgive because I don't see it as you offending me, I see it as a premeditated action taken by you, and if you do it once and I tell you, I expect you to adjust but if you don't and you do it repeatedly I expect you to take whatever consequences comes your way with your full chest and don't come seeking forgiveness which I don't have to offer while I also try to avoid you with every means possible. And if it does not come with consequences your luck, but forgetting depends on how it affects me both in the long term and short term, but one thing is certain each time I see you, a flashback occurs and I try to be extra careful not to allow a repeat or not entirely free with the person.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by cayorday89(m): 11:15am On Nov 28, 2021
MadamExcellency:

We are talking about the doctrine of forgiveness and the purpose.

To forgive here means to rescind all intended or ongoing judgment, punishment and retribution against the person of the offender not the sin.

To forget in this contest means never counting the offense in any future decision as it regards the person of the offender. It also means erasing the malice, grudge and antagonism the offense created.

Someone can claim to refrain from punishing an offender because of pleads but holds the malice, grudge and antagonism the offense created perpetually. This is against the doctrine of forgiveness.
One thing is certain, things can never remain the same again. It's natural, you will definitely be extra careful about such individual.

3 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by nesgeeek(m): 11:23am On Nov 28, 2021
I forgive people who offend me, but I don't forget what they did to me especially when what happen as a result of their recklessness almost ruin my life or caused some damages and pains to my life. I'll always remember the past each time I see such people.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 28, 2021
A lot but I don’t forget will always be on guard around you but to wicked you no no be my work .. my work dey pay

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by FRANKOSKI(m): 11:33am On Nov 28, 2021
Forgiveness is free but forgetting is hard but it doesn't alter the fact that when I forgive, I have forgiven . cool
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by shrek4(m): 11:36am On Nov 28, 2021
When ur married, you do that everyday

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by nnadychuks(m): 11:38am On Nov 28, 2021
MadamExcellency:

I forgive easily but the relationship sure wouldn’t be as it used to be. I feel people ask for forgiveness so they can hurt u again. People don’t really change

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by SweetDipBenny(m): 11:44am On Nov 28, 2021
I'm quick to forgive but i never forget
Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Biglittlelois(f): 11:49am On Nov 28, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
I would like to ask people as the Op where they get this idea of "forget" from.

If it's from the Bible, they should just give a verse, because I have never seen any in the Bible. All I see is forgive, but it seems men are inclined to complicate things for themselves.

God says man should forgive, man adds forget to what God says making things even more difficult for himself.

God never said anyone should forget but forgive, because it may be impossible to forget what someone did, but to forgive is always possible.

For instance, how can Jesus forget what men did to Him which He was on Earth, when He has the scars to always remind Him?

He has forgiven all those who did that to Him, and He proved it by praying to the Father to also forgive them.

But the fact remains that even though He's truly forgiven them, it's impossible for Him to forget.

So don't worry about the forgetting part which is man-made, but just sincerely forgive men their trespasses against you, as God commanded us to do, and it shall be well with you.

God bless.

This is very insightful, thank you.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by tunize(m): 12:19pm On Nov 28, 2021
From the wordings you can see that forgiveness is one word, forget is another word. I can forgive you but I can't forget and it's not possible to forget people's wrong, what people call froget na say them nor dey talk about the matter.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? by Lastmankc(m): 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2021
Religion might preach forgiveness,but I will serve you karma either instantly or later in cold blood if you hurt me on a purpose.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See How Pastor Paul Enenche's Children Reacted When He Did This To Their Mum / Why Do Many People Hate Deeper Life / Winners Chapel, TREM, RCCG & Rhema, In Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran & Iraq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.